ADVERTISEMENT

More Thoughts on NY6

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
I was going to do a full-blown write up on what needs to happen for Indiana to get in the NY6 but there are still too many variables in play. After Saturday it will be starting to come into focus. The Big Ten needs to have the crossover games out by late Sunday morning though!

I will share a few thoughts.

1) Yesterday my thought was Indiana just needed to win, even if was Purdue instead of Iowa in the crossover game. I've downgraded my position though. I think beating Iowa would probably be enough but beating Purdue might not be. It could be but too much discomfort for my taste. Nobody's going to care much about us beating Purdue (in the crossover game) unless we curb-stomp them. Which would be fun lol.

2) Who knows, we may not even play at all next week. (I don't like it being completely out of our hands.)

3) It's interesting the PAC-12 may not even have a champion. I assume if that happens the NY6 will invoke the Ohio St clause and put USC in (assuming they beat UCLA). Will the PAC-12 just kinda declare USC-Washington the Championship Game?

4) We have to root against Peyton Ramsey and Northwestern IMO. If NW beats the nuts they probably leap-frog us, especially if we don't play. Doubt the nuts would fall below us.

5) The Group of 5 question is still up in the air. Simplest outcome Cincinnati beats Tulsa on the 19th. This way a team from outside the CFP Top 12 doesn't swoop in and take a NY6 spot. I'm also rooting for Louisiana over Coastal Carolina in the re-match (CC won the first). Currently CC checks in at No. 13 and another Top 20 win might put them ahead of Indiana. That would be interesting, would the NY6 take two G5 teams over a 1-loss Indiana team?

6) Iowa St - Oklahoma doesn't seem to matter that much. Surely the loser drops behind Indiana (assuming we don't lose the crossover game)?

7) This could change but right now the (non-CFP) NY6 would be Nos. 5-11 plus (I'm kind of assuming) USC (or Washington). Which means we'd have to move up one spot. If we can somehow get to No. 10 I'd think we are safely in.

I was going to do a full-blown write up on what needs to happen for Indiana to get in the NY6 but there are still too many variables in play. After Saturday it will be starting to come into focus. The Big Ten needs to have the crossover games out by late Sunday morning though!

I will share a few thoughts.

1) Yesterday my thought was Indiana just needed to win, even if was Purdue instead of Iowa in the crossover game. I've downgraded my position though. I think beating Iowa would probably be enough but beating Purdue might not be. It could be but too much discomfort for my taste. Nobody's going to care much about us beating Purdue (in the crossover game) unless we curb-stomp them. Which would be fun lol.

2) Who knows, we may not even play at all next week. (I don't like it being completely out of our hands.)

3) It's interesting the PAC-12 may not even have a champion. I assume if that happens the NY6 will invoke the Ohio St clause and put USC in (assuming they beat UCLA). Will the PAC-12 just kinda declare USC-Washington the Championship Game?

4) We have to root against Peyton Ramsey and Northwestern IMO. If NW beats the nuts they probably leap-frog us, especially if we don't play. Doubt the nuts would fall below us.

5) The Group of 5 question is still up in the air. Simplest outcome Cincinnati beats Tulsa on the 19th. This way a team from outside the CFP Top 12 doesn't swoop in and take a NY6 spot. I'm also rooting for Louisiana over Coastal Carolina in the re-match (CC won the first). Currently CC checks in at No. 13 and another Top 20 win might put them ahead of Indiana. That would be interesting, would the NY6 take two G5 teams over a 1-loss Indiana team?

6) Iowa St - Oklahoma doesn't seem to matter that much. Surely the loser drops behind Indiana (assuming we don't lose the crossover game)?

7) This could change but right now the (non-CFP) NY6 would be Nos. 5-11 plus (I'm kind of assuming) USC (or Washington). Which means we'd have to move up one spot. If we can somehow get to No. 10 I'd think we are safely in.

if NW beats OSU, they are B1G Champs and get the automatic NY6 Bowl. I’m assuming that it would be the Fiesta. Also, Ohio St would probably get a NY6 Bowl too. So unfortunately yes, we need a OSU victory over NW.

We just beat #16 on the road and our ranking didn't change? Our only loss is by one touchdown to the #3 team, on the road, and we're ranked behnd two different 2 loss teams?

There are a lot of reasons.

IU has no wins against current top 25 teams. That is the one thing hurting IU but that is only the case due to the limited # of games Wisconsin has played. Them dropping out of the rankings and IU not moving up was definitely weird.

Either way, if Wisconsin beats Iowa this weekend, they'll be ranked again and our resume will have that going for it. Beating an unranked Iowa won't do IU much more if any justice than Purdue.

We just beat #16 on the road and our ranking didn't change? Our only loss is by one touchdown to the #3 team, on the road, and we're ranked behnd two different 2 loss teams?

I don't see what axe they would have to grind persay. IU has been the worst team in college football why would they have an axe? Not saying IU shouldn't be ranked higher . Partly Big10 for starting late has put them behind

IU is getting the short stick based on how good they have been this year. The B1G is undermining their integrity and the CFB committee is showing they don't look at results and are being biased against IU. Keep on winning IU and come back next year being even better than this year and silence all the negative people.

I don't see what axe they would have to grind persay. IU has been the worst team in college football why would they have an axe? Not saying IU shouldn't be ranked higher . Partly Big10 for starting late has put them behind
Do you think the AD at a conference school like Iowa is happy about Indiana's meteoric rise?
P.S. The Iowa AD is the chair of the CFP selection committee.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
IU has no wins against current top 25 teams. That is the one thing hurting IU but that is only the case due to the limited # of games Wisconsin has played. Them dropping out of the rankings and IU not moving up was definitely weird.

Either way, if Wisconsin beats Iowa this weekend, they'll be ranked again and our resume will have that going for it. Beating an unranked Iowa won't do IU much more if any justice than Purdue.
I guess the CFP selection committee likes to believe that any rankings that preceded their own initial ranking are irrelevant, but that's nonsense. iU defeated 3 ranked teams this year, tied with Alabama for most in the country. And, as you've pointed out, IU beat a CFP-ranked team in Wisconsin, and it's beyond weird that Wisconsin went from #16 to gone from the rankings after losing to IU. It's also absolutely insane that Georgia and particularly Iowa State are ahead of us in the CFP rankings, and that IU didn't move up a single spot after beating Wisconsin. All of this demonstrates an utter lack of respect for IU, a determination to keep us down, and/or both. Sick and tired of this anti-IU bullshit.

Do you think the AD at a conference school like Iowa is happy about Indiana's meteoric rise?
P.S. The Iowa AD is the chair of the CFP selection committee.
That's what I've been preaching all along. If you people think the overall Big Ten conference schools want to finally wake up and have to deal with a 9Win-diana on the regular, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you!!!

I've LONG sensed this conference wants to try everything possible to checkmate Indiana Football.

That's what I've been preaching all along. If you people think the overall Big Ten conference schools want to finally wake up and have to deal with a 9Win-diana on the regular, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you!!!

I've LONG sensed this conference wants to try everything possible to checkmate Indiana Football.
Agreed. The conference loved having us as the perpetual doormat, and everyone wanted us as their Homecoming opponent. Screw the conference hierarchy, and screw Iowa AD Gary Barta and the rest of the CFP selection committee. Indiana is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and has some scores to settle. Beginning with Iowa, hopefully.

3*

Georgia, Oklahoma, Iowa State all ranked ahead of us. Would figure loser of ISU/OK drops and drops fairly significant with 3 losses. Need Georgia to lose to Mizzou. Mizzou is somehow ranked 25th and Georgia is front of us despite no current top 25 wins and 2 losses.

Reactions: IU73
All of this demonstrates an utter lack of respect for IU, a determination to keep us down, and/or both. Sick and tired of this anti-IU bullshit.
It's all about lack of respect, which is a result of our dismal history. No one cares enough about Indiana football to conspire to keep us down. Until such time as it's shown that the last two seasons aren't a fluke, we're still going to have to battle perceptions. That takes time. I know we believe, but nationally we're a feel-good Cinderella story emerging from the weirdness that has been the Covid season.

Reactions: Upset Alert
It's all about lack of respect, which is a result of our dismal history. No one cares enough about Indiana football to conspire to keep us down. Until such time as it's shown that the last two seasons aren't a fluke, we're still going to have to battle perceptions. That takes time. I know we believe, but nationally we're a feel-good Cinderella story emerging from the weirdness that has been the Covid season.

I’d be inclined to believe that...but they have Iowa State at 7th with 2 losses. The last time Iowa State won a conference title, the Titanic sinking was the story of the year.

No one cares enough about Indiana football to conspire to keep us down.
I'm not alleging a conspiracy, but I have absolutely no doubt that there are many in the conference, including people in high places, who enjoyed the status quo, who liked the near-guarantee of a Big Ten victory whenever they played us, who relished the thought of hosting us for their annual Homecoming game, and who are definitely unhappy about IU's recent success and what that means for them.

And if someone in the conference, like the Iowa AD for example, is in a position to do something for us or, conversely, something that holds us back, which way do you think they're going to go?

I think it's entirely possible that the B1G arranged to get OSU in the CFP at the expense of a second NY6 bowl.

So, if next week...

1. We draw a strong Iowa and win convincingly
  2. Bama wins
  3. ND eliminates Clemson w a 2nd loss
  4. OSU wins
  5. Tenn beats Aggy
  6. Tulsa beats Cincy
  7. OU beats ISU
Who gets the 4th spot?

Does it come down to us and OU?

So, if next week...

1. We draw a strong Iowa and win convincingly
  2. Bama wins
  3. ND eliminates Clemson w a 2nd loss
  4. OSU wins
  5. Tenn beats Aggy
  6. Tulsa beats Cincy
  7. OU beats ISU
Who gets the 4th spot?

Does it come down to us and OU?
How about Bama losing convincingly plus all the others you mention? Could get interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT