ADVERTISEMENT

More on Trump's manifest unfitness for office

And a big part of the reason we elected this serial liar was that people regarded Hillary Clinton as untrustworthy.

O0UjOJZ.jpg

The largest reason was reflexive partisanship: republicans voting for the R and democrats voting for the D. Almost all the explanations are post hoc rationalizations of tribalism.
The difference is that Trump told more lies in any given week than Hillary has told in her public career. The perception that Hillary was the more untrustworthy candidate was a partisan delusion. Even the perception that the candidates were equally untrustworthy was deluded. Hillary lies as politicians unfortunately do. Trump lies like most people breathe.

The largest reason was reflexive partisanship: republicans voting for the R and democrats voting for the D. Almost all the explanations are post hoc rationalizations of tribalism.
That may be true, but it's not very helpful. Once you accept 90% of partisans will stay with their team no matter what, you have to look at the other 10% and the undecideds. These people broke for Trump, and one of the big reasons was they didn't trust Clinton, which is just insane. Partisan delusion is easy to explain. But how genuine independent voters - even nominal Democrats - bought into the delusion is flabbergasting.

Reactions: iu_a_att
Obama, like many on the left, adopts the posture that everyone in both parties agrees that helping "Americans grappling with opioid addiction...pregnant mothers...children with disabilities...poor adults...seniors...parents whose children have cancer" is what the government is and should be about. Today's GOP disagrees. Obama would do better to come clean with the American people that the conflict between Dems and the GOP is not over tactics but over values. If you want government policies that will help Americans grappling with problems then you gotta vote for Democrats and vote out Republicans. If you want government policies that will be indifferent to those problems then you should vote for the GOP.
Or put forth candidates whose primary focus is jobs so partisanship is fundamentally irrelevant.

Democratic turnout, including minorities, in the key electoral states was low, for all sorts of reasons no doubt. In Bloomington (not a key state), it was butthurt Bernheads.

That may be true, but it's not very helpful. Once you accept 90% of partisans will stay with their team no matter what, you have to look at the other 10% and the undecideds. These people broke for Trump, and one of the big reasons was they didn't trust Clinton, which is just insane. Partisan delusion is easy to explain. But how genuine independent voters - even nominal Democrats - bought into the delusion is flabbergasting.
Or voting for Hillary offered them no value - she wasn't going to create any jobs.

I don't have any problem putting a primary focus on jobs...but this won't make "partisanship fundamentally irrelevant".
I mean from the point of view of economically suffering voters (of course). You're damn right it will. There's a reason why there are more independent voters than either Democrats or Republicans.

See if you can find a way to think outside of your partisan ideological box and see the world from the point of view of someone who didn't grow up with everything served on a silver platter like you .

I mean from the point of view of economically suffering voters (of course). You're damn right it will. There's a reason why there are more independent voters than either Democrats or Republicans.

See if you can find a way to think outside of your partisan ideological box and see the world from the point of view of someone who didn't grow up with everything served on a silver platter like you .
I wish you were right (really, I am entirely sympathetic with your policy objectives I think). But you aren't. The reasons there are so many independents is complicated. But most behave the same as partisans. The fraction of voters that switch parties from election to election is very small. Read up

I wish you were right (really, I am entirely sympathetic with your policy objectives I think). But you aren't. The reasons there are so many independents is complicated. But most behave the same as partisans. The fraction of voters that switch parties from election to election is very small. Read up
Its not a question of I'm right or wrong. It's a question of you accepting the status quo or not. As in, because they've voted that way in the past, they will again. Why do we get landslides on one side then the other? And don't forget that McCain was leading in the polls before his epically badly timed "Fundamentals of our economy are strong." Obama ended with a landslide. If Obama had said that instead of McCain, who'd have won? That's a non-trivial shift, more or less entirely related to the economy, not partisanship. Or do you insist it was not the economy but rather partisanship?

From Pew in your link:

When the partisan leanings of independents were taken into account, 48% either identified as Democrats or leaned Democratic; 39% identified as Republicans or leaned Republican.
First, 12% of independents is a huge percentage in elections. Second, 48% for Dems to 39% for Pubs? What's up with that? How can Dems ever lose the general, based on your conclusion about voting tendencies? If statistics aren't predictive, then you shouldn't use them as if they are.

Still, none of that remotely addresses my point because it's entirely based on a viewpoint of adherence to the status quo. I'm talking about a sea change and if it occurred all bets are off. If either party got real, people would flock to them. I don't think it's far-fetched. A lot of non-politician liberals are fed and are starting to run for office. They're likely to be more honest and pragmatic because they're doing it not as a career but as a cause.

From Pew in your link:

When the partisan leanings of independents were taken into account, 48% either identified as Democrats or leaned Democratic; 39% identified as Republicans or leaned Republican.
First, 12% of independents is a huge percentage in elections. Second, 48% for Dems to 39% for Pubs? What's up with that? How can Dems ever lose the general, based on your conclusion about voting tendencies? If statistics aren't predictive, then you shouldn't use them as if they are.

Still, none of that remotely addresses my point because it's entirely based on a viewpoint of adherence to the status quo. I'm talking about a sea change and if it occurred all bets are off. If either party got real, people would flock to them. I don't think it's far-fetched. A lot of non-politician liberals are fed and are starting to run for office. They're likely to be more honest and pragmatic because they're doing it not as a career but as a cause.
We have had four such "sea changes" in American political history. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_realignment_in_the_United_States
Maybe you can herald the 5th.

We have had four such "sea changes" in American political history. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_realignment_in_the_United_States
Maybe you can herald the 5th.
From your link, this also feeds into my theory:
It takes two to tango. Why tango if it breaks your legs? You don't see liberals getting all freaked out about White Supremacists and they're worse than Falwell.

The difference is that Trump told more lies in any given week than Hillary has told in her public career. The perception that Hillary was the more untrustworthy candidate was a partisan delusion. Even the perception that the candidates were equally untrustworthy was deluded. Hillary lies as politicians unfortunately do. Trump lies like most people breathe.
I've mentioned before that I've become a regular listener/fan of Sam Harris' Waking Up Podcast. By his own estimation, he's spent nearly 10 hours discussing Trump and much of what has been discussed here with various guests.

One of the conclusions Harris has come to is that if "Trump were half as bad, he would seem more recognizably dangerous".

The link above is a transcript of his podcast soon after Trump was elected, but he makes that same point with just about any guest he has on when the conversation turns to Trump (which doesn't always happen).

If you're not interested in sifting through the entire transcript, here is a good snippet:

The irony is: If he had been merely half as bad, he would have seemed worse. He would have been more recognizably dangerous. But there were so many awful moments that the media couldn’t focus on them for long enough, or weigh their significance. And the big things were as big as they get, right? “Climate change is a hoax.” “Why can’t we use our nuclear weapons?” “Maybe nuclear proliferation is a good thing. Let the Saudis and the Japanese and the South Koreans build their own nukes.” “Who’s to say we should support our NATO alliances? What have they done for us?” “Putin is a great leader.” “Maybe we should just default on our debt, cut a better deal.” Any one of those things should have ended it.​

But of course, the little things were just as weird, and should have been just as disqualifying. I mean, we have just elected a president who has bragged about invading the dressing rooms of beauty pageant contestants, so that he could see them naked, when they were effectively his employees—he owned the pageant. And then he even bullied some of these young women publicly, some on social media in the wee hours of the morning while campaigning for the presidency. And then he denied doing any of these things when no denial was even possible. We had all seen his tweets. And in response to the astonishment of the media, he looked the American people in the eye, and said, “No one respects women more than I do. No one.” And half the country accepted that as, what, the truth? As good theatre? As sketch comedy? I mean, there are really no words to describe how far from normal we have drifted here.​

Reactions: MrBing
More fodder:

A Time magazine with Trump on the cover hangs in his golf clubs. It’s fake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...df96de-5850-11e7-ba90-f5875b7d1876_story.html

This cover — dated March 1, 2009 — looks like an impressive memento from Trump’s pre-presidential career. To club members eating lunch, or golfers waiting for a pro-shop purchase, it seemed to be a signal that Trump had always been a man who mattered. Even when he was just a reality TV star, Trump was the kind of star who got a cover story in Time.

But that wasn’t true.

The Time cover is a fake.

There was no March 1, 2009, issue of Time magazine. And there was no issue at all in 2009 that had Trump on the cover.​

Reactions: sglowrider
More fodder:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...df96de-5850-11e7-ba90-f5875b7d1876_story.html

This cover — dated March 1, 2009 — looks like an impressive memento from Trump’s pre-presidential career. To club members eating lunch, or golfers waiting for a pro-shop purchase, it seemed to be a signal that Trump had always been a man who mattered. Even when he was just a reality TV star, Trump was the kind of star who got a cover story in Time.

But that wasn’t true.

There was no March 1, 2009, issue of Time magazine. And there was no issue at all in 2009 that had Trump on the cover.​
There's plenty of stupid stuff related to Trump. I'll be happy when he's gone.

More fodder:

But that wasn’t true.

Hahaha! As they say, you can't possibly make this shite up!! (I guess there are exceptions to the rule! !)

Who's got an uglier face, Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell? Whole lot of ugly going on in DC.
This is, no kidding, the official Presidential photo that's hanging on the "chain of command" walls of government buildings throughout the country:

PE%20Color.jpg

He apparently thinks this is a good picture of him . . .

Reactions: RBB89
This is, no kidding, the official Presidential photo that's hanging on the "chain of command" walls of government buildings throughout the country:

PE%20Color.jpg

In his eyes, thats the look of power and strength. You are suppose to bow down to that look.

How about this one? Not sure if this is the one that was hanging in government buildings or not. What a long strange trip is has been eh?
History_Ultimate-Guide-to-the-Presidents_Jimmy-Carters-Legacy_SF_HD_1104x622-16x9.jpg

Reminds me of Soviet leader posters. You see them on the streets of Minsk.
The official pictures of all our Presidents always adorn the walls of government buildings during their administrations. Obama's and GWB's were pretty nice ones. They were smiling too. ;)

The official pictures of all our Presidents always adorn the walls of government buildings during their administrations. Obama's and GWB's were pretty nice ones. They were smiling too. ;)

Yea, I was referring to the "Trump glare", and not presidential pictures generally. It's an "Uncle is always watching" glare.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Uh huh. He also thinks he has a nice hair cut.

In Asia, you are not supposed to smile in photos -- my dad's generation anyway. Smiling I think is seen as a sign of immaturity and therefore you arent suppose to be taken seriously!!

Regarding his hair -- He has to work hard to make his hair do unnatural things every day. All that sacrifice tends to shape a person's perception.

Not sure if that was the official picture or not. I would expect that he was smiling in his. I liked him as a person and I voted for him - once.

In Asia, you are not supposed to smile in photos -- my dad's generation anyway. Smiling I think is seen as a sign of immaturity and therefore you arent suppose to be taken seriously!!

Regarding his hair -- He has to work hard to make his hair do unnatural things every day. All that sacrifice tends to shape a person's perception.

Russians never smile publicly either. Certainly not for official docs.

Btw, did you see this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eric-trump-new-haircut_us_59510e33e4b05c37bb77c880

PE%20Color.jpg

Looks like an Apprentice publicity shot.

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT