ADVERTISEMENT

More Michigan Home Cooking

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Beat me to it!! I was going to start a new thread about this. Since was at the IU game, only saw while looking at various game highlights last night and this morning.

Reminiscent of the game at IU in ‘17 when IU’s Simmie Cobbs recovered an on-side kick along the East/UM sideline. Of course, was deemed by refs that Cobbs had run OOB right before getting the kick in stride. IU went onto to lose in OT.

Beat me to it!! I was going to start a new thread about this. Since was at the IU game, only saw while looking at various game highlights last night and this morning.

Reminiscent of the game at IU in ‘17 when IU’s Simmie Cobbs recovered an on-side kick along the East/UM sideline. Of course, was deemed by refs that Cobbs had run OOB right before getting the kick in stride. IU went onto to lose in OT.

We've been blatantly screwed by the Refs at their place so many times I've lost count...

Every call should be reviewable and the coaches should get 3 challenges a game (with the loss of a timeout if they don't win the review)...

The guy is right... The Refs who made that call should be investigated... They obviously changed the dynamics of the game in favor of Michigan... Anyone making those types of calls shouldn't even be Refereeing Bantam League games...

I didn't see it live, but I saw the replay on the internet and associated comments. but it triggered a thought from Me. We play Michigan and Ohio State on consecutive weeks in mid-November. Let's say at that point OSU and Michigan are both undefeated in Conference, and Michigan's only loss was to Number One Texas The Big Ten wants to get as many teams in the Playoff as possible. They want the regular season finale with Michigan and OSU to involve 2 teams undefeated in Conference play. That way no matter Who wins, both Michigan and OSU will have arguments to be in the field. If We are in a close game with Michigan into the 4th Quarter, The penalty flags will start flying against Us for phantom holding, questionable pass interference for breathing on a Michigan Receiver and the ever popular unnecessary Roughness for bumping in to an opposing player As You turn to walk to Your huddle. Given our experiences with Officiating in games against Michigan, I can't help but think the Officials will give Michigan every opportunity to win that game.

I didn't see it live, but I saw the replay on the internet and associated comments. but it triggered a thought from Me. We play Michigan and Ohio State on consecutive weeks in mid-November. Let's say at that point OSU and Michigan are both undefeated in Conference, and Michigan's only loss was to Number One Texas The Big Ten wants to get as many teams in the Playoff as possible. They want the regular season finale with Michigan and OSU to involve 2 teams undefeated in Conference play. That way no matter Who wins, both Michigan and OSU will have arguments to be in the field. If We are in a close game with Michigan into the 4th Quarter, The penalty flags will start flying against Us for phantom holding, questionable pass interference for breathing on a Michigan Receiver and the ever popular unnecessary Roughness for bumping in to an opposing player As You turn to walk to Your huddle. Given our experiences with Officiating in games against Michigan, I can't help but think the Officials will give Michigan every opportunity to win that game.
Cignetti would lose his mind.

We've been blatantly screwed by the Refs at their place so many times I've lost count...

Every call should be reviewable and the coaches should get 3 challenges a game (with the loss of a timeout if they don't win the review)...

The guy is right... The Refs who made that call should be investigated... They obviously changed the dynamics of the game in favor of Michigan... Anyone making those types of calls shouldn't even be Refereeing Bantam League games...
Who makes these incredible rules decisions on what is reviewable? An offside on an onside kick try not being reviewable is the perfect opportunity for a corrupt official. So is nearly any other play that they know is not reviewable. They all should be.
Usually I attribute these bad calls to incompetence. This may actually be corruption. (Which could be a federal offense with gambling involved.) These shady calls used to show up mainly in the SEC, but Michigan takes a back seat to no one.

Somebody said they think the ball hit a Minny player early. If so, and that was called, no complaints. But not calling something that didn't happen, and is clear it didn't happen.

I didn't watch the game but saw the final score and assumed that Michigan was helped by the zebras! I was right as usual. I think Michigan has too many scum boosters that get in the refs heads almost like the mob! I think the barstool sports owner is a big Mich donor for one! NCAA won’t care to investigate or do anything about it though. Especially after last year when Mich rubbed their cheating in everyones faces and still got off scott free!

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I didn't see it live, but I saw the replay on the internet and associated comments. but it triggered a thought from Me. We play Michigan and Ohio State on consecutive weeks in mid-November. Let's say at that point OSU and Michigan are both undefeated in Conference, and Michigan's only loss was to Number One Texas The Big Ten wants to get as many teams in the Playoff as possible. They want the regular season finale with Michigan and OSU to involve 2 teams undefeated in Conference play. That way no matter Who wins, both Michigan and OSU will have arguments to be in the field. If We are in a close game with Michigan into the 4th Quarter, The penalty flags will start flying against Us for phantom holding, questionable pass interference for breathing on a Michigan Receiver and the ever popular unnecessary Roughness for bumping in to an opposing player As You turn to walk to Your huddle. Given our experiences with Officiating in games against Michigan, I can't help but think the Officials will give Michigan every opportunity to win t
Agree 100%. When it comes to Ohio State and Michigan, IU has always had questionable calls go against them.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I heard the official threw the flag after the recovery. Part of why I called it corruption.

But I just watched the replay a few times, pretty sure he's pulling the flag quickly after the kick. And, I can see why someone thought they saw offsides, the kick and timing was so perfect that player were ahead of the ball after the ball was just a few feet off the tee.

Clearly wrong. Can't make that call! But, easily could have been mere incompetence. If he'd watched the kickers foot and seen it had followed through before anybody broke the plane, but he probably was focusing on the ball and was badly fooled.

Simple, just review it, Minny ball. Done.

I get your point but I think it's very unlikely Michigan will be undefeated in conference play in mid-November. Their offense is one-dimensional (no passing game) and they're very beatable. I could see them losing to one or more of at Washington, at Illinois and home to Oregon.

Reactions: red hornet

Was at that game and totally agree!!

There was the time that a Wolverine FB ‘intentionally’ fumbled OOB right to Lee Corso to avoid getting tackled in bounds. Lee caught the ball, and complained fervently that the intentional act was a penalty.

Maybe Shanahan goes uptempo early in the Wolves to make them play catchup.

There are some pass rush holding calls that are too obvious not to get called.

Reactions: red hornet
There was the time that a Wolverine FB ‘intentionally’ fumbled OOB right to Lee Corso to avoid getting tackled in bounds. Lee caught the ball, and complained fervently that the intentional act was a penalty.

Maybe Shanahan goes uptempo early in the Wolves to make them play catchup.

There are some pass rush holding calls that are too obvious not to get called.
It was 1979. Late-October. My first real taste as a kid that UM/Bo (along with OSU) played by a different set of rules than the rest of the league. It was so obvious a call because UM was out of TOs, and not one of the 6 refs had the guts to throw a flag. Game wasn’t on tv (few were back then), but was listening to the radio call by Don Fischer with my dad.

The MSU folks derisively refer to the UM favoring refs as “Referines.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT