ADVERTISEMENT

Monitoring Text Messages for Cov19 Misinformation

What in the actual Hell? This can't really be up for discussion. From the linked article:

"Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages. The goal is to ensure that people who may have difficulty getting a vaccination because of issues like transportation see those barriers lessened or removed entirely."

The only way they can do that is they're monitoring your private SMS communications in real time.

welcome to Nazivlle!

Reactions: DANC
Still think they aren't reading your texts and emails? Wake the blank up Dems.

is this fake? voiceover? if real was this at the behest of FB or the WH? if the latter that's super F'd up. as if the feds are a credible arbiter of info - from the cdc's countless errors to the now origins of the pandemic. ridiculously overreaching

Last edited:
I guess I was naive. I thought, if a judge had to approve a FISA warrant, that would be enough protection from the types of sleazeballs in the FBI. The FBI, for God's sake. You'd think, in a group of agents, someone would speak up and say 'Hey, you know, we've found this dossier to be BS. We'd better let everyone know'.

But no - they doubled down on it.

How no one is in jail for that is reason for the Patriot Act to be repealed ASAP.
Indianapolis Star today's headline, THE FBI FAILED SURVIVORS.

As Larry Nasser molested young women in the USOC Gymnastics program at Michigan State, the 30 year FBI veteran W. Jay Abbott, AIC of the Indy FBI office, slow- walked the investigation while negotiating a post retirement job with the same USOC he was investigating .

Abbott and at least 3 other agents then lied to DOJ investigators from the Office of the Inspector General looking into the activities of agents in Indy, Lansing Michigan, Los Angeles, and Portland, Maine.

John Manly, attorney for 250 victims of Nasser, said " This reeks of collusion, and corruption. This gives the green light to every FBI agent to do what these four agents in Indianapolis did."

If any agency gets defunded, it should be the FBI.

Abbott needs to go to prison, along with the four agents complicit in the crime and cover up, along with their enabling superiors.

Americans are fed up with the two-tiered system of justice in this country.

This is another provocation.

Reactions: DANC and ulrey
is this fake? voiceover? if real was this at the behest of FB or the WH? if the latter that's super F'd up. as if the feds are a credible arbiter of info - from the cdc's countless errors to the now origins of the pandemic. ridiculously overreaching
It’s the latter. More evidence for Trump’s lawsuit. These people just don’t get the strength of free expression. The antidote for bad information is good information. It isn’t to silence the bad information.

Im old enough to remember when the Wuhan lab leak source of.Covid was also considered bad information and was also suppressed.

Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
It’s the latter. More evidence for Trump’s lawsuit. These people just don’t get the strength of free expression. The antidote for bad information is good information. It isn’t to silence the bad information.

Im old enough to remember when the Wuhan lab leak source of.Covid was also considered bad information and was also suppressed.
Yeah that’s really bad

Lots of fringe groups get people to sign up for "updates" by text, email, or merely social media notifications.

When such groups focus on a major health issue like COVID, they can have tremendous impact when they blast out their "studies" and analysis to millions of subscribers. If they focused on discredited crap science and dangerous conspiracy theories, they need to be shouted down with the actual facts. Much as I try to counter unscientific nonsense on this forum.

I have no problem with monitoring and actively countering misinformation that is damaging to national security. If on a private platform such as Facebook, I have no problem denying access to purveyors of crap.

I am far less comfortable with governmental agencies leading surveillance and deplatforming efforts, absent terrorist content.

Lots of fringe groups get people to sign up for "updates" by text, email, or merely social media notifications.

When such groups focus on a major health issue like COVID, they can have tremendous impact when they blast out their "studies" and analysis to millions of subscribers. If they focused on discredited crap science and dangerous conspiracy theories, they need to be shouted down with the actual facts. Much as I try to counter unscientific nonsense on this forum.

I have no problem with monitoring and actively countering misinformation that is damaging to national security. If on a private platform such as Facebook, I have no problem denying access to purveyors of crap.

I am far less comfortable with governmental agencies leading surveillance and deplatforming efforts, absent terrorist content.
so distilled you have no problem with the gov as the arbiter of what gets published on private platforms? i suspect if you give this a little more thought you'd think otherwise.

It should be countered with facts. Anything more than that and you create more problems than you solve.

so distilled you have no problem with the gov as the arbiter of what gets published on private platforms? i suspect if you give this a little more thought you'd think otherwise.
???

I don't agree with that at all.

I have no problem with the private platforms being the arbiter of what gets published on their private platforms, and when high bars are met, sharing info with the government, such as ratting out a group planning terrorist acts or otherwise offering a clear and credible threat to national security.

The line to draw, I guess, if if (say) a COVID19 disinformation group is blasting out misinformation on a large scale. Is that a clear and credible threat to national security? I would tend to vote "YEA" on that, but i understand a "NAY" vote. It is not as clear as (say) a known-to-be-violent group planning an insurrection.

The line to draw, I guess, if if (say) a COVID19 disinformation group is blasting out misinformation on a large scale. Is that a clear and credible threat to national security? I would tend to vote "YEA" on that, but i understand a "NAY" vote. It is not as clear as (say) a known-to-be-violent group planning an insurrection.
"if (say) a COVID19 disinformation group is blasting out misinformation on a large scale."

Would that include Fox, Newsmax, and OAN?

Interestingly enough although the US started out far ahead of Canada in terms of the speed of the vaccine rollout, Canada has actually passed the US and is on the brink of achieving herd immunity. This analysis points out the reason Canada has been so successful is that Canadian Conservatives have not endorsed the anti-vax rhetoric that Fox and OAN have propagated...

“In the U.S., news sources have become politicized in a way that has just not happened in Canada,” says Aengus Bridgman, a political scientist at McGill University in Montreal, and the lead author of a recent study on the impact of U.S. pandemic misinformation on Canadian social media users. Here, right- and left-leaning people both trust our large, important media organizations, and polarized media have been completely unsuccessful in comparison to their U.S. counterparts.

“Having that core anchor is really important during a pandemic,” Bridgman adds, “because what we find is that people who consume traditional media direct from source in the Canadian context have far fewer misperceptions, are less likely to break social distancing norms and are more likely to want to get vaccinated.”

"To get a sense of how high Canada’s full-vaccination rate might go, consider that the country has already vaccinated 80 percent of its eligible population (age 12 and older). The U.S. has vaccinated just 65 percent. This suggests that only Canada is on track to hit the kind of vaccination threshold — 75 percent or higher, according to experts — that can keep Delta and other emerging coronavirus variants from triggering serious, recurring outbreaks (and protect those who can’t receive the vaccine due to preexisting health conditions)."

Wouldn't the proliferation of successful vaccinations in Canada destroy the claims about dangerous consequences from the anti-vax crowd? Or do all of these vaccine "evils" somehow disappear when they cross the border?

The US has one of the highest vaccine hesitancy rates in the world, and Canada one of the lowest...

"Vaccine acceptance is much stronger in Canada than in the U.S. According to Morning Consult’s tracking survey of 75,000 people across 15 countries, a full 30 percent of U.S. adults say they are either unwilling to get vaccinated (19 percent) or uncertain about it (11 percent). That’s one of the highest hesitancy rates in the world — and it’s nearly double the corresponding rate in Canada, where just 11 percent are unwilling and just 6 percent are uncertain. Other polls have shown that as few as 6 percent of Canadians say they will never get vaccinated — and that nearly 90 percent want to be inoculated as soon as possible."

I wonder what the difference might be?

Canada doesn’t have the same problem. Yes, Canadian anti-vaxxers also tend to be conservative — but Canadian conservatives as a whole are far more open to vaccination than their American counterparts. According to a June Abacus poll, nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of Canadian Conservative Party voters said they were already vaccinated or planned to get a shot in short order, while just 16 percent said they would never get vaccinated — half the share of Trump voters who say the same.

Hmmmm... (and remember we also have Newsmax and OAN)...

"Today, Fox News is available in Canada only via satellite subscription or certain cable providers. It wields little influence."

Interestingly enough although the US started out far ahead of Canada in terms of the speed of the vaccine rollout, Canada has actually passed the US and is on the brink of achieving herd immunity. This analysis points out the reason Canada has been so successful is that Canadian Conservatives have not endorsed the anti-vax rhetoric that Fox and OAN have propagated...

“In the U.S., news sources have become politicized in a way that has just not happened in Canada,” says Aengus Bridgman, a political scientist at McGill University in Montreal, and the lead author of a recent study on the impact of U.S. pandemic misinformation on Canadian social media users. Here, right- and left-leaning people both trust our large, important media organizations, and polarized media have been completely unsuccessful in comparison to their U.S. counterparts.

“Having that core anchor is really important during a pandemic,” Bridgman adds, “because what we find is that people who consume traditional media direct from source in the Canadian context have far fewer misperceptions, are less likely to break social distancing norms and are more likely to want to get vaccinated.”

"To get a sense of how high Canada’s full-vaccination rate might go, consider that the country has already vaccinated 80 percent of its eligible population (age 12 and older). The U.S. has vaccinated just 65 percent. This suggests that only Canada is on track to hit the kind of vaccination threshold — 75 percent or higher, according to experts — that can keep Delta and other emerging coronavirus variants from triggering serious, recurring outbreaks (and protect those who can’t receive the vaccine due to preexisting health conditions)."

Wouldn't the proliferation of successful vaccinations in Canada destroy the claims about dangerous consequences from the anti-vax crowd? Or do all of these vaccine "evils" somehow disappear when they cross the border?

The US has one of the highest vaccine hesitancy rates in the world, and Canada one of the lowest...

"Vaccine acceptance is much stronger in Canada than in the U.S. According to Morning Consult’s tracking survey of 75,000 people across 15 countries, a full 30 percent of U.S. adults say they are either unwilling to get vaccinated (19 percent) or uncertain about it (11 percent). That’s one of the highest hesitancy rates in the world — and it’s nearly double the corresponding rate in Canada, where just 11 percent are unwilling and just 6 percent are uncertain. Other polls have shown that as few as 6 percent of Canadians say they will never get vaccinated — and that nearly 90 percent want to be inoculated as soon as possible."

Canada doesn’t have the same problem. Yes, Canadian anti-vaxxers also tend to be conservative — but Canadian conservatives as a whole are far more open to vaccination than their American counterparts. According to a June Abacus poll, nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of Canadian Conservative Party voters said they were already vaccinated or planned to get a shot in short order, while just 16 percent said they would never get vaccinated — half the share of Trump voters who say the same.

Today, Fox News is available in Canada only via satellite subscription or certain cable providers. It wields little influence.
Of course, it’s Fox’s fault.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
It should be countered with facts. Anything more than that and you create more problems than you solve.

You should know by now, much of the country doesn't give a shit about facts. Or even the highly touted 'alternative facts'.

"if (say) a COVID19 disinformation group is blasting out misinformation on a large scale."

Would that include Fox, Newsmax, and OAN?

"Today, Fox News is available in Canada only via satellite subscription or certain cable providers. It wields little influence."
biden man. damn. why can't his administration fix this issue. he's the president. sucks.

Reactions: jet812
Indianapolis Star today's headline, THE FBI FAILED SURVIVORS.

As Larry Nasser molested young women in the USOC Gymnastics program at Michigan State, the 30 year FBI veteran W. Jay Abbott, AIC of the Indy FBI office, slow- walked the investigation while negotiating a post retirement job with the same USOC he was investigating .

Abbott and at least 3 other agents then lied to DOJ investigators from the Office of the Inspector General looking into the activities of agents in Indy, Lansing Michigan, Los Angeles, and Portland, Maine.

John Manly, attorney for 250 victims of Nasser, said " This reeks of collusion, and corruption. This gives the green light to every FBI agent to do what these four agents in Indianapolis did."

If any agency gets defunded, it should be the FBI.

Abbott needs to go to prison, along with the four agents complicit in the crime and cover up, along with their enabling superiors.

Americans are fed up with the two-tiered system of justice in this country.

This is another provocation.
Defund the FBI!

You would have no problem with someone like Trump and his Administration teaming up with a social media platform to combat "misinformation"?

No, of course you wouldn't.

Still think they aren't reading your texts and emails? Wake the blank up Dems.

Just watched this again. She really stutters her way through it. Almost like she was nervous about talking about it.

Almost like she knew it was facilitating government censorship.

Just watched this again. She really stutters her way through it. Almost like she was nervous about talking about it.

Almost like she knew it was facilitating government censorship.
She's a literal communist supporter so we shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: DANC
1) Vaccines are safe and effective. People that keep spreading misinformation suggesting otherwise are bad.

2) White House shouldn't be dictating for social media companies to censor speech. Even bad speech.

If they want to provide good information that can be shared to counter? Great.

3) Fact that vaccines are safe and very effective means that those that are vaccinated don't need to spend their time freaking out about the unvaccinated. It's better that more people get vaccinated and it will reduce risk further, but it shouldn't hinder vaccinated from moving forward.

4) The truth is there is hesitancy on vaccines across the political spectrum. On the right, it is being fueled by bad actors making it seem like vaccination is something being pushed by the left. But you also have hesitancy among minority groups and elite liberals on the left. Ideally, we would be reaching out to those different hesitant groups where they are with people they trust to provide good information so they can make good decisions for themselves. That is an education campaign, not compulsion.

How about we just ban social media platforms all together?
or just ban any and all political messages. keep it truly social media. i'm on FB probably once a day for ten minutes, but it's a great way to keep up with remote family and friends and old teammates - mostly to share pictures. of all my friends on FB maybe two or three post political shit. i would imagine that's pretty representative for most. just ban those posts. i have no idea but i can't imagine banning political shit would impact FB's or IG's bottom line

Reactions: stollcpa

Example of something extremely misleading. It's a total of 52 patients. Israel's own data shows Pfizer is 90+% effective to prevent severe illness against Delta variant. They are averaging less than 1 death per day for over a month.

or just ban any and all political messages. keep it truly social media. i'm on FB probably once a day for ten minutes, but it's a great way to keep up with remote family and friends and old teammates - mostly to share pictures. of all my friends on FB maybe two or three post political shit. i would imagine that's pretty representative for most. just ban those posts. i have no idea but i can't imagine banning political shit would impact FB's or IG's bottom line

I go with the good stuff - The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County, along with IU sports and a bunch of Golden Retriever sites.

The oddest thing is that when my bride mentions something or looks up something she might want to buy I then start seeing things on my iPad about those items. Now, that's marketing . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT