ADVERTISEMENT

Moderna vaccine interim results: 94% efficacy

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001

analysis: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/16/modernas-vaccine-efficacy-readout

executive summary:
-95 total cases in the trial to date, split 90/5 between the control group and the vaccinated group.
-11 of 95 were severe infections: all 11 were in the controls and zero in the vaccine patients.
-“generally short lived” side effects noted: fatigue in 9.7% of patients, myalgia (muscle pain) in 8.9%, arthralgia (joint pain) in 5.2%, headache in 4.5%, and just “pain” in 4.1%.

2nd pres release: https://investors.modernatx.com/new...ounces-longer-shelf-life-its-covid-19-vaccine

-Moderna says that new stability testing shows that their vaccine remains stable for up to six months under standard freezer conditions, up to 30 days under standard refrigeration conditions, and up to 12 hours at room temperature. There’s no dilution or further handling at the point of administration. This is much more like what you want to see, as compared to the more demanding storage conditions that seem to be needed for the Pfizer candidate. This is how a lot of medicine (and food, for that matter) is already distributed and stored – our infrastructure is a lot more prepared for this.

right now the vaccine news is very good indeed.

analysis: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/16/modernas-vaccine-efficacy-readout

executive summary:
-95 total cases in the trial to date, split 90/5 between the control group and the vaccinated group.
-11 of 95 were severe infections: all 11 were in the controls and zero in the vaccine patients.
-“generally short lived” side effects noted: fatigue in 9.7% of patients, myalgia (muscle pain) in 8.9%, arthralgia (joint pain) in 5.2%, headache in 4.5%, and just “pain” in 4.1%.

2nd pres release: https://investors.modernatx.com/new...ounces-longer-shelf-life-its-covid-19-vaccine

-Moderna says that new stability testing shows that their vaccine remains stable for up to six months under standard freezer conditions, up to 30 days under standard refrigeration conditions, and up to 12 hours at room temperature. There’s no dilution or further handling at the point of administration. This is much more like what you want to see, as compared to the more demanding storage conditions that seem to be needed for the Pfizer candidate. This is how a lot of medicine (and food, for that matter) is already distributed and stored – our infrastructure is a lot more prepared for this.

I guess Cuomo changed his mind after the election.

I guess Cuomo changed his mind after the election.

He has been 100% consistent: listen to the scientists directly, and not to the buffoonish realty TV show guy, who hasn't even met with the scientists in several months but has continually tried to manipulate the science for his failed reelection efforts.

But this thread was not about politics. Keep up.

It's about finding a way out of this mess.

executive summary:

It means one of two things:

1) If you take both this and the Pfizer vaccine, the treatment will be 184% effective

or

2) stoll remains angry and butthurt.

Good news about the Moderna vaccine as it continues to look like flowers blooming in Spring 2021 will have multiple meanings. 🎉🎈💉💥🌈🌞:)

Bad news about stoll. :(

sorry for the duplicate discussion, I didn't see it posted in the "Dow Jones" thread.

He has been 100% consistent: listen to the scientists directly, and not to the buffoonish realty TV show guy, who hasn't even met with the scientists in several months but has continually tried to manipulate the science for his failed reelection efforts.

Dumb.

Anyone always has direct access to what the scientists say. Cuomo deliberately chose to use vaccines to bash Trump because that’s what Coumo preferred to do.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUSUMMERS
Yeah, since cost has been taken out of the equation, both can proceed in parallel. But as mentioned elsewhere, they'll most likely be used for different populations because of the different distribution hurdles.

Well done. Polite golf applause.

You have potential grasshoppa

Stoll can't help it! It is his nature.

Anyone always has direct access to what the scientists say.
Fauci was bound and gagged for months. Virtually every request to interview him was denied by the White House. We were supposed to settle for Trump relaying scientific information. That got us recommendations to shove lightbulbs where the sun don't shine, so it would meet up with the bleach that you inject.

Reactions: sglowrider
We have to hope people will take the vaccine. The Twitter account below purports to be a South Dakota medical worker. Patients in the hospital struggling to breathe yelling at medical staff it cannot be COVID because COVID is not real. Are they going to vaccinate?

We have to hope people will take the vaccine. The Twitter account below purports to be a South Dakota medical worker. Patients in the hospital struggling to breathe yelling at medical staff it cannot be COVID because COVID is not real. Are they going to vaccinate?

If it’s 95 percent effective does it matter if some percentage (25 or whatever) doesn’t get it?

If it’s 95 percent effective does it matter if some percentage (25 or whatever) doesn’t get it?

I hope it is 25%. Between the normal antivaxxers, the "it is a hoax to embarrass Trump" and "I don't trust anything Trump's government touched" crowds we may get to 50%. That probably is enough to really slow spread bit we should do better.

okay not to be a d*ck but that's their problem right? F em? because if my fam takes it we're 95% good irrespective of what anyone else does. right?
yes, but the virus would still be a pretty big problem and would still weigh pretty heavy on society as a whole. to achieve herd immunity and eradicate the virus you'd need 65-70%, at least, taking the vaccine.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
okay not to be a d*ck but that's their problem right? F em? because if my fam takes it we're 95% good irrespective of what anyone else does. right?

Not everyone can get vaccinated. Some people have legitimate health conditions and are not recommended to get vaccines. They would still be at risk.

it will be a real blow to the GOP, when with benefit of hindsight, folks realize that it was mostly Trumpsters that got sick and died in the second half of 2021.

Em3_3ZkVkAEIFSk

Reactions: meridian
yes, but the virus would still be a pretty big problem and would still weigh pretty heavy on society as a whole. to achieve herd immunity and eradicate the virus you'd need 65-70%, at least, taking the vaccine.

How could it be a problem for society as a whole if 50% are vaccinated? If I have a 90%+ chance of being in the clear, I’m gonna live pretty much normally. That makes the virus a problem for only a minority of society, right?

there's no evidence that people are immune after recovering from the virus. obviously you haven't been paying attention to the science.

Don’t recovered patients have antibodies? Doesn’t that confer immunity for an indeterminate time? Plasma treatment from recovered patients is a therapeutic right?

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Because I have it, in smallpox days police would hold people down in vaccine raids so the medical people could give the shots. Yet a Supreme Court Justice said in the past few days that COVID is an unparalleled assault on civil liberties. I guess lawyers do not read history.

Reactions: DrHoops
there's no evidence that people are immune after recovering from the virus. obviously you haven't been paying attention to the science.
Actually I've been paying very close attention. The only question is how long immunity lasts. The number of people reinfected is so few they could fit in the same elevator. There's much more evidence regarding longevity of immunity following natural exposure/recovery than exists about any of the vaccines.

Don’t recovered patients have antibodies? Doesn’t that confer immunity for an indeterminate time? Plasma treatment from recovered patients is a therapeutic right?
Plasma treatment has not proven to be very effective.

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and call BS on that lady. While some severely mentally ill people might behave the way she’s explaining - it’s almost impossible for it to be happening at scale. People are dumb but not that dumb.

A few studies I’ve seen show an almost total loss of antibodies in ~3 months. Then there are the documented cases of reinfection. There’s goes herd immunity (mentality).

A few studies I’ve seen show an almost total loss of antibodies in ~3 months. Then there are the documented cases of reinfection. There’s goes herd immunity (mentality).
T-cells linger. Like your AXE body spray.

Antibodies go away over time after an infection, as well. You get T-cell immunity. which starts making the antibodies from scratch when you need them.

The still-to-come data from a full three months of dosing will establish whether the vaccinated have T-cell mediated immunity. Most people thank that they will, and that it ought to be effective for a while. Whether that is is 6 months, 1 year, or 5 years isn't clear though. It probably won't be, either, until 6+ months have passed for trial patients dosed in September.

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and call BS on that lady. While some severely mentally ill people might behave the way she’s explaining - it’s almost impossible for it to be happening at scale. People are dumb but not that dumb.

I hope you are right. It turns out CNN interviwed her, you can see if you think she is believable. I make no warranties.

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT