ADVERTISEMENT

Moderna says that it's vaccine is effective against the UK and South Africa strands of Covid. Perhaps a little

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
less effective against South Africa strand but still effective. I guess they're researching how to ramp it's effectiveness against same. Nevertheless very good news

Reactions: 76-1
Saw that Merck's vaccine candidate flopped and they are pulling the plug on it.

Also, Moderna is developing a booster specifically for the SA variant.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
saying now that there's a new "homegrown" strain in calif.

Of course. There are likely many different strains across a country as large as the U.S. Some are more contagious, some less. Some more impactful on the immune system, some less.

None of this is news except the sensational media that is craving and pushing fear.

Of course. There are likely many different strains across a country as large as the U.S. Some are more contagious, some less. Some more impactful on the immune system, some less.

None of this is news except the sensational media that is craving and pushing fear.

A huge slice of the population gets the flu vaccine each year and some people that get the shot still get the flu. If they tested people with the flu the way they are testing people with covid I'm sure we'd find that there are dozens if not more (many more) strains of the flu each year this is unfortunately the nature of the beast.

One great thing about RNA vaccines being effective is that for any new strain under the sun, once you have its genetic sequence, you just make the new snippet of RNA that you need, plug it into the same liposome formulation, and you have a booster shot specific to that new strain.

It makes vaccine design like using an adjustable wrench, rather than having a dozen boxed end wrenches.

One great thing about RNA vaccines being effective is that for any new strain under the sun, once you have its genetic sequence, you just make the new snippet of RNA that you need, plug it into the same liposome formulation, and you have a booster shot specific to that new strain.

It makes vaccine design like using an adjustable wrench, rather than having a dozen boxed end wrenches.
Funny thing about adjustable wrenches vs a box end made to fit. They usually slip, somewhat fail and round the nut off making it useless.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

This is the answer I was seeking

Any idea what the approval process is when they modify it? Wondering how fast they can respond on FDA side of things.

Funny thing about adjustable wrenches vs a box end made to fit. They usually slip, somewhat fail and round the nut off making it useless.
Well, my analogy isn't perfect, because you do go in, the second time around, with the precise booster that you need. So it is like owning an adjustable wrench that, when you go to use it, becomes the perfect-fitting box end wrench, every time.

A huge slice of the population gets the flu vaccine each year and some people that get the shot still get the flu. If they tested people with the flu the way they are testing people with covid I'm sure we'd find that there are dozens if not more (many more) strains of the flu each year this is unfortunately the nature of the beast.

Are we back to comparing COVID to the Flu now? ;)

It may be a bit different because you only need the nut to remain usable for a period of time. Once enough of the population is vaccinated or infected, new cases plummet and it becomes less of an issue. The question everyone is wondering is, for how long?

Well, my analogy isn't perfect, because you do go in, the second time around, with the precise booster that you need. So it is like owning an adjustable wrench that, when you go to use it, becomes the perfect-fitting box end wrench, every time.
If we're going with toolbox analogies, how about a socket wrench; same handle, different socket .

Reactions: outside shooter
I'm a big fan of the Cali Strains myself. Oh wait. Different thread.

200.gif

Reactions: twenty02
Any idea what the approval process is when they modify it? Wondering how fast they can respond on FDA side of things.

Kamalatoe Joe will pull out all of their intelligence and have it in 48-60 months. Oh, and then CNN will announce that it was the fastest roll out EVER!

ADVERTISEMENT