ADVERTISEMENT

Miscellaneous recordings

One of my all time favorites.

The only thing nice thing about Wichita, their lineman:

You guys are utterly hopeless sometimes. none of those songs are old timey. lmao ..

*OVER EMPHASIZED EYE ROLL*

American (and european - especially irish and scot) traditionals, pre-blues and country blues from the turn of the 20th century or songs written in that form and generally played on stringed instruments. ie Old Timey.

*Not to be confused with bluegrass (which many do but it came later as an offshoot) which has some fundamental difference in the way it handles melody and how it is sung.. and unlike bluegrass old timey tends use more minor keys.

Like this .. this was written recently but it's old timey.

or this .. a traditional ..

or this .. some country blues.

or this ...

or this ..

WTF is wrong with you people? lol .......................................

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
You guys are utterly hopeless sometimes. none of those songs are old timey. lmao .. *EYEROLL*

American and european (especially irish and scot) traditionals, pre-blues and country blues from the turn of the 20th century or songs written in that form. ie Old Timey.

Like this .. this was written recently but it's old timey.

or this .. a traditional ..

or this ..

or this ...

WTF is wrong with people?

Sorry I dont listen to anything that pre-dates the advent of electricity.

Reactions: sdhoosier
Sorry I dont listen to anything that pre-dates the advent of electricity.
Why? You think music has actually changed? The same seven notes in the same order with the same rules for how many centuries and you think the stuff you listen to because it was recently recorded is new. *less exaggerated eye roll*

The last new thing was Miles use of modes and that's even arguable as being new..

That's as dumb as old people stuck in the 80's. You're missing out on a lot of good music.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Is it too late to retitle the thread?:rolleyes:
no, you can edit it .. or just post some actual old timey music and delete the rest.

Old timey music is very important in the history of American music, it's when the melting pot started melting music together and incorporating every euro folk style including african rhythms to form new types of music. Beginnings of jazz, country, blues, bluegrass ...

It was almost lost until guys like Lomax and Smith went out and recorded it in the fields. It's had a revival in the last two decades (among musicians) and many younger musicians (real ones not the radio performance whores) are playing this or similar styles.

You guys are out of touch. I blame the radio and mainstream music manufacturers.

Last edited:
no, you can edit it .. or just post some actual old timey music and delete the rest.

Old timey music is very important in the history of American music, it's when the melting pot started melting music together and incorporating every euro folk style including african rhythms to form new types of music. Beginnings of jazz, country, blues, bluegrass ...

It was almost lost until guys like Lomax and Smith went out and recorded it in the fields. It's had a revival in the last two decades (among musicians) and many younger musicians (real ones not the radio performance whores) are playing this or similar styles.

You guys are out of touch. I blame the radio and mainstream music manufacturers.

Why? You think music has actually changed? The same seven notes in the same order with the same rules for how many centuries and you think the stuff you listen to because it was recently recorded is new. *less exaggerated eye roll*

The last new thing was Miles use of modes and that's even arguable as being new..

That's as dumb as old people stuck in the 80's. You're missing out on a lot of good music.

I was only messing with you. I have actually taken a class in African-American music and being the root of modern American music.

The only thing nice thing about Wichita, their lineman:

I sang this song in a cover band I used to play with. The band loved it, the crowd always loved it, but I hated our version of it and eventually refused to do it anymore because I couldn’t get past the fact that our keyboard player couldn’t recreate the strings the way I thought they should sound. In my mind, the strings make the tune and without them, it’s just not right.

That said, I love this song.

Last edited:
I sang this song in a cover band I used to play with. The band loved it, the crowd always loved it, but I hated our version of it and eventually refused to do it anymore because I couldn’t get past the fact that our keyboard player couldn’t recreate the strings. In my mind, the strings make the tune and without them, it’s just not right.

That said, I love this song.

Strings.... a yacht rock song for you:

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

yeah them some strings.

Wichita Lineman. Some great lyrics there. “I need you more than want you. And I want want you for all time.”

That cover band I mentioned: we would pick out obscure songs like that and cover them. No one else covered songs like that. But crowds always resonated with them and appreciated us plucking out forgotten songs like that. I’ll post a few more that we used to cover like that, just for fun.

yeah them some strings.

Wichita Lineman. Some great lyrics there. “I need you more than want you. And I want want you for all time.”

That cover band I mentioned: we would pick out obscure songs like that and cover them. No one else covered songs like that. But crowds always resonated with them and appreciated us plucking out forgotten songs like that. I’ll post a few more that we used to cover like that, just for fun.

More strings that pre-dates electricity, 650 AD in fact:

Don't promote ignorance because that's exactly what you are doing. Your ancestors weep in shame. And I also will no longer look at you ..

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT