ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota cutting 3 sports

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
4, technically, if you call indoor & outdoor track 2 sports........Anyway, all sports being cut are male sports---indoor & outdoor track; men's tennis; men's gymnastics.

As I recall, UM's budget is much bigger than IU's. I can't imagine IU retains all sports.

To me, rowing & field hockey OUGHT to be the first to go, given that Indiana HSs don't even play those sports........more likely, due to Title 9, it would be men's golf & tennis, and men's indoor & outdoor track. I would guess they keep men's CC; given the sport is so low maintenance.

Reactions: red hornet
IU has a $2B endowment. Float the Athletic Department for a year. I can't imagine they'd be able to save any significant amounts of money by cutting the likely losers anyway, (wrestling, tennis, field hockey, rowing).

4, technically, if you call indoor & outdoor track 2 sports........Anyway, all sports being cut are male sports---indoor & outdoor track; men's tennis; men's gymnastics.

As I recall, UM's budget is much bigger than IU's. I can't imagine IU retains all sports.

To me, rowing & field hockey OUGHT to be the first to go, given that Indiana HSs don't even play those sports........more likely, due to Title 9, it would be men's golf & tennis, and men's indoor & outdoor track. I would guess they keep men's CC; given the sport is so low maintenance.

so what are the buy outs for those coaches?

and are the facilities not already in place.

of course they can't cut women's sports without cutting men's sports first.

me thinks these schools cutting sports are using the pandemic to do something they already wanted to do, and using covid as an excuse.

capitalism has no place for things that cost rather than bring in revenue, and capitalism has completely taken over college sports. (and college).

5 of the 8 players on their men's tennis roster are from countries other than US. I have thought for a long time that the number of foreign players on NCAA tennis rosters is a big part of the problem with the lack of highly ranked professional tennis player from the USA.

5 of the 8 players on their men's tennis roster are from countries other than US. I have thought for a long time that the number of foreign players on NCAA tennis rosters is a big part of the problem with the lack of highly ranked professional tennis player from the USA.

8 out of 12 on Iowa's tennis roster (team also cut) are foreign.

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT