ADVERTISEMENT

Minn@IU Game 3: IU 7 Minn 1, Final

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU led off the B1st with two straight walks, Lloyd struck out for the first out, and Bradley reached on an error to load the bases with one out. Barr then doubled to score two runs, with runners still on 2nd and 3rd. Dunham then walked to load the bases with still just one out. Richardson reached 1st on a FC, which scored Bradley which was unearned because of the error earlier. With two outs, Fineman was hit by a pitch to load the bases again, which chased the Gopher starter who couldn't make it through the 1st. Minn brought in a lefty with an ERA of 5.11 with Walker coming up, and Walker struck out to end the inning. IU batted through the order in the 1st and will have the top of the order up in the 2nd.

Reactions: snowling
IU started their half of the 2nd by loading the bases with no outs and without a hit. Ashley led off with a walk, Goski reached on a throwing error, and Lloyd walked. Bradley reached on a FC, which scored a run, but Bradley was called out on a controversial call at 2nd base. Another throwing error allowed a second run to score. Minn has three errors in the game so far.

These espn announcers are awful. Back handed compliments left and right. SHUT UP about midwesterners having tool belts!

A one-out walk came back to haunt IU in the 4th. The runner was moved to 2nd on a FC, and with two outs, a double brought in the run.

In IU's half of the 4th, Gorski hit a one-out single and then went to 3rd on a single by Lloyd. Bradley then singled to bring in a run with runners on the corners with one out, and Barr walked to load the bases. However, Dunham hit into a DP to end the inning. At least IU got the run back in this inning, but it could have been a back-breaker for the Gophers.

In the 5th, Minn led off with a single, but with two outs, Minn had a batter reach on a throwing error by Saalfrank, and the runner reached 2nd on the error, putting two on and two outs. However, Saalfrank got the third out on a GO. Saalfrank is having another solid outing even with the error which turned out to be harmless. The way he has been pitching, it's like having a Friday starter pitching on Sunday.

With one out and no one on in the B5th, Minn has gone to the bullpen again, bringing in a righty with an ERA of 5.40.

In the 6th, it looked like Saalfrank might be running out of gas as Minn had two batters reach on a walk and a single to start the inning. However, he got the next batter to hit into a DP. With a runner on 3rd and two outs, Coach Mercer decided to go to the bullpen and bring in Manous, and he got the K to end the inning with no damage done. IU is up 6-1, and batting in their half of the 6th.

Minn has gone to their bullpen again in the 6th, bringing in another righty with an ERA of 5.59.

In the 6th, Gorski walked with one out, stole 2nd. Lloyd hit into a FC, and Gorski tried to score from 2nd and was thrown out on a close play to end the inning. It appeared that Gorski was shaken up on the play, but he was back out there to start the Gophers' 7th.

Bradley opened IU's half of the 7th by doubling to right field. Bradley moved to 3rd on a SF by Barr, and Dunham singled to score Bradley. IU is up 7-1 and is six outs away from closing this game out.

Manous has been really sharp since coming in for Saalfrank. He has faced seven batters and they have all gone down in order. IU batting in the 8th, and is still up 7-1.

In the 9th, Manous retired the first batter. but then hit the next batter, and Coach Mercer went to the bullpen and brought in Sommer. I assume that with a 7-1 lead and one out, he wanted to give Sommer a little bit of work. Sommer retired the two batters he faced to close out the game, with IU winning 7-1. It was really big for IU to take this series with back-to-back road series with Ill and Mich next. Box score:

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=262303

Last edited:
Reactions: IU Fan 1989
IU started their half of the 2nd by loading the bases with no outs and without a hit. Ashley led off with a walk, Goski reached on a throwing error, and Lloyd walked. Bradley reached on a FC, which scored a run, but Bradley was called out on a controversial call at 2nd base. Another throwing error allowed a second run to score. Minn has three errors in the game so far.
Really was not all that controversial if Bradley would have continued to second base without stopping or hesitating he would have been safe on an obstruction call. He is not automatically given the base.

I’d love to know what that goofball ump said. It was obvious he saw the interference and signaled something. Mercer certainly wasn’t buying whatever it was he was selling and Bradley seemed stunned.

I’m pretty sure that’s the same dude that was on 3rd Friday night and over ruled the 2nd base ump on Gorski’s catch/trap. I’d still love to know why he awarded the kid that had been doubled off second third.

I’d love to know what that goofball ump said. It was obvious he saw the interference and signaled something. Mercer certainly wasn’t buying whatever it was he was selling and Bradley seemed stunned.

I’m pretty sure that’s the same dude that was on 3rd Friday night and over ruled the 2nd base ump on Gorski’s catch/trap. I’d still love to know why he awarded the kid that had been doubled off second third.
Bradley explained in interview that the umpire called obstruction on the pitcher which was correct call. Bradley thought he was automatically given second, which he is not. If Bradley has continued on to second without slowing down or stopping the umpires would have probably called him safe even if tagged out. I am assuming the call I’m college is the same as high school.

Bradley explained in interview that the umpire called obstruction on the pitcher which was correct call. Bradley thought he was automatically given second, which he is not. If Bradley has continued on to second without slowing down or stopping the umpires would have probably called him safe even if tagged out. I am assuming the call I’m college is the same as high school.
I heard that and still don't understand it. Hell, there was NO PLAY at first. Why even bother calling it if there's no reward?

I heard that and still don't understand it. Hell, there was NO PLAY at first. Why even bother calling it if there's no reward?
The reward would have been given if he had continued to second base. I agree it is dumb the way it is written, and if you don’t understand it , it can cost you. Such as yesterday.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT