ADVERTISEMENT

Millers recruiting.

Yes, he's had a bad class. The fact is that the newness has worn off and now it's time to make sure he can win. He's got the roster and if they have a breakout season then recruiting will be fine.

If not then he'll be in trouble, he likely already knows that.

Is anybody else finding alarming that it seems like as a late Miller can't land any recruits.
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. Coach Miller has closed successfully on 3 Indiana Mr. Basketball recruits in a row...and with Landers one could say that he would have been the 4th but matriculated early. The Indiana University coaching staff and Archie Miller have not successfully closed on their known priority 2021 recruits except for one.

Spring is one time that is critical for college recruiting. Multiple players hit the transfer portal and teams then fill up rosters. And this year is just a little different to say the least. In-person recruiting is prohibited. Recruiting is online or remote...one coach gave a tour...he was in the first car and the recruit and family in the second...talking on bluetooth. Calendars are changed. Budgets are changed. IU is now focused more to the east than in previous years. Whether this pans out, we will have to wait and see. A majority of coaches say that Covid has delayed their recruiting for 2021. Just think how difficult international recruiting is this year. College Coach Insights on Recruiting During Coronavirus (ncsasports.org)

IU clearly needs recruits. But it ain't over until it's over.

Is anybody else finding alarming that it seems like as a late Miller can't land any recruits.
No. He's recruiting very well. Lander would have been a 5 star in the 2021 class, but he reclassified and he's a 5 star in the 2020 class, which appears to be an excellent class from top to bottom.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I wonder if his competitors are suggesting that Archie might no longer be there when they arrive. I would if I were them.
I think he’ll be there when / if those players make it to IU. What’s doubtful is whether he’ll still be there when they leave.

That would be a lie. Miller isn't going anywhere and we'll be happy that he doesn't go elsewhere too.

Maybe. But, if you were competing with Archie for a recruit, wouldn’t that pitch cross your mind? Be honest.

This is why it’s tougher to recruit as your seat warms up....or even might be thought to be warming up.

Reactions: IUgradman
Maybe. But, if you were competing with Archie for a recruit, wouldn’t that pitch cross your mind? Be honest.

This is why it’s tougher to recruit as your seat warms up....or even might be thought to be warming up.
I'm a pretty honest guy, so no. I wouldn't recruit by lying about other programs, I'd recruit by being honest about mine.

Reactions: brianiu

Opposing coaches don’t have to say anything. AAU coaches and advisors already know when seats are getting warmer, and word spreads quickly.

Not really. He has done a really good job finding players since he has been here. If I have any concerns, it isn’t recruiting.
Since you believe he’s recruited at a high level, do you have any concerns about his development of those players?

I just can’t for the life of me understand how guys like Davis, Crean, and Miller can land this job but guys like Fife and Alford can’t get a shot?

• Haha
Reactions: hondo314
I just can’t for the life of me understand how guys like Davis, Crean, and Miller can land this job but guys like Fife and Alford can’t get a shot?

Well, Alford has had his shots. He had a Big Ten gig and then landed one of the more coveted jobs in the business. The results were middle tier. Which is why he’s ended up where he has.

As for Fife, I suspect that he’s expecting (with reason?) to be the anointed one when Izzo retires. I’m sure he’s been approached.

Reactions: IUgradman
Well, Alford has had his shots. He had a Big Ten gig and then landed one of the more coveted jobs in the business. The results were middle tier. Which is why he’s ended up where he has.

As for Fife, I suspect that he’s expecting (with reason?) to be the anointed one when Izzo retires. I’m sure he’s been approached.
I think you’re right that he’s probably been assured he’ll be elevated when Izzo retires, just like TI was when Jud left.

Just mentioning Alford as a potential IU coach always starts a fight. ;)

Alarming? NO! However it does "concern" me. With the recruting impact that COVID has had, it is not a typical year in recruiting. I'll wait for final judgement when the class actually reports. Transfers can provide IMMEDIATE help next year.

1 questions when's the last time Indiana land of the transfer that actually did anything. when relying on transfers and juCo's thats not the way to win,at least not for Indiana.

He interviewed for the IU job last time but was passed over.

1 questions when's the last time Indiana land of the transfer that actually did anything. when relying on transfers and juCo's thats not the way to win,at least not for Indiana.
It better become very quickly, if IU is going to remain competitive next year. The transfer route is one that IU has not capitalized on much, they are a little behind other programs in that regard.

It better become very quickly, if IU is going to remain competitive next year. The transfer route is one that IU has not capitalized on much, they are a little behind other programs in that regard.
Max was a good big pick up a few years ago. We def need another big for 22 class. If Brunk doesn’t return we are down to Race and Dubscomb in front court next year

I stand second to nobody in loving Steve Alford for what he meant to IU as a player. And there was a time when I thought he’d be a great candidate to take over for RMK once he retired. But things clearly didn’t work out that way.
I agree 100% on Steve the player.He was my favorite and may well be the toughest player Knight ever had and did more with less than anybody. I was just never in on him as a coach and it would have been a disaster

Reactions: SixthFlagComing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT