ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Liking His Four Freshmen

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
I am excited about Galloway for potential immediate play. I really like that kid. I think Geronimo will take time adjusting to the speed of play, and possibly Leal as well, though all we need from Leal is outside shooting. In my opinion, Lander will have flashes all season but may need some time to develop. That could be 3 games or 30-we will see.

I am excited about Galloway for potential immediate play. I really like that kid. I think Geronimo will take time adjusting to the speed of play, and possibly Leal as well, though all we need from Leal is outside shooting. In my opinion, Lander will have flashes all season but may need some time to develop. That could be 3 games or 30-we will see.

His comments about Leal were not surprising.

I thought his comments about Galloway, Geronimo & Lander were surprising.

Surprisingly positive about Trey & Geronimo, surprisingly negative about Lander.

Concerning Lander, he might as well have put a flashing "Remember Romeo" light on his head; he's obviously warning everyone who will listen not to expect too much too soon. Which means to me he was probably overrated as a 5*. But he did answer the biggest question that I had.....whether he can be an effective shooter. 4 3s in the scrimmage is encouraging.

As for Galloway & Geronimo.....maybe, as someone on here suggested, we finally have guys who were grossly underrated recruits. I have thought it possible for some time, and CAM's comments are encouraging. I've thought Galloway's hand injury was dragging his ranking down far below his actual potential. He's been more like a 35-37% 3 point guy when completely healthy.

As for CAM himself....we know he's not a great coach, in any respect. But he could still be an above average coach with the right players. He's had a considerable helping of bad luck with Romeo's hand injury, Rob's injuries, Race's injuries, Fitzner's shooting slump. and his brother's disgrace. He's due for some good luck, and so are we.

As for CAM himself....we know he's not a great coach, in any respect. But he could still be an above average coach with the right players. He's had a considerable helping of bad luck with Romeo's hand injury, Rob's injuries, Race's injuries, Fitzner's shooting slump. and his brother's disgrace. He's due for some good luck, and so are we.

People like to say make or break year too often. In this case I think it is valid. He has had a string of bad luck like you stated, but he also did some very consistent and great by anyones standards things at Dayton. He does well this year, and the ball could easily keep rolling down hill. This roster is shaping up to have some nice staying power for the next 3 years.

On the other hand, if we are not above average this year, finish 10-10 in league play, you can absolutely say Miller is not a great coach. No excuse this year.

Surprisingly positive about Trey & Geronimo, surprisingly negative about Lander.

Concerning Lander, he might as well have put a flashing "Remember Romeo" light on his head; he's obviously warning everyone who will listen not to expect too much too soon. Which means to me he was probably overrated as a 5*. But he did answer the biggest question that I had.....whether he can be an effective shooter. 4 3s in the scrimmage is encouraging.

As for Galloway & Geronimo.....maybe, as someone on here suggested, we finally have guys who were grossly underrated recruits. I have thought it possible for some time, and CAM's comments are encouraging. I've thought Galloway's hand injury was dragging his ranking down far below his actual potential. He's been more like a 35-37% 3 point guy when completely healthy.

Not surprised about the newcomer comments except pleasantly. Even Lander. He young. Was a mere boy in every sense at his age.

Like the take on Miller maybe insulating everyone including KL from expectations. Glad the rest of his class sounds like they're ready and able to help share the load.

Regarding your assessment of MIller, that's a conversation I'd like to have absent the cranks. If you credit the inferred management of nurturing/protecting Players in the crucible of mass media/public scrutiny, that seems indicative of a "great coach" in at least one respect. Suspect your opinion is informed by far more of what does/doesn't take place on the Court, would like to get a sense of that from your perspective. But not tonight - other doings afoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
you sure seem to know a lot

As your CAM part, referring to we “as in everybody”, leave me out of the we group.

No, I disagree. I say that he is not a great coach YET. Many coaches take several years to show greatness. So for me, the jury is still out.

As for CAM himself....we know he's not a great coach, in any respect.

Am ready to hear this assessment explained/qualified. Not baiting, rather just as I said before, genuine interest in what informs your perspective. Absent the knee-jerk theatrical judgments involving recruiting misses as typified by resident armchair analysts, looking to what separates "great coaches" from those like Miller in terms of what is taught and how Games are managed.

In observance of 'full disclosure', am of the belief that Archie has some qualities that are in standing with what I imagine to be a great coach. Not saying he's there yet (or ever), but view his no-BS persona, ability and penchant for speaking in concrete terms rather than homilies about the Game, courtside demeanor and Player relationships as exemplary. Those attributes don't speak to the more material aspects of teaching/practice, on-Court offense/defense and in-Game strategy, but then that's why I'm asking. So, humor me - more than anything am looking to learn something and freely allow that there are things I do not know that doubtless merit consideration.

Ask because your recruiting lists mark you as a student of the Game and bit of a fanatic (a good thing IMO). No guarantee we're going to agree, but won't really know until I have a chance to consider what qualifies your perspective. Regale me.

Last edited:
I have a really good feeling about this class.
Hey @ORG! I feel the same way. I love that with the exception of Geronimo, they all played together in AAU and are from Indiana. It would be fantastic if all 4 stayed together for at least three seasons. Add in a couple bigs and we have a strong future / foundation. The team seemed to gel the most when they were in the game. It flowed well and the pace picked up. It was obvious that they all were familiar playing with one another.

love Landers sweet lefty stroke, Different type player but how amazing would it be to see Lander develop into Calbert 2.0 😁

Does anyone on this team shoot 44%+ from treyland? That's what a real shooter does for a team.

Geronimo impressed me by his lateral quickness, he can really move his feet. His defense is going to be as impressive as his vertical. He was smallish looking but defending the 3 or perhaps in time the 2 will be huge.

Galloway has a good feel for the game, where to be. His lateral quickness got exposed a couple of times. Don't kill me for this, because he doesn't have the shooting ability, but kind of reminds me of Whitman back in the day. Of course it has been awhile since I watched him.

Reactions: Frosty83
Geronimo impressed me by his lateral quickness, he can really move his feet. His defense is going to be as impressive as his vertical. He was smallish looking but defending the 3 or perhaps in time the 2 will be huge.

Galloway has a good feel for the game, where to be. His lateral quickness got exposed a couple of times. Don't kill me for this, because he doesn't have the shooting ability, but kind of reminds me of Whitman back in the day. Of course it has been awhile since I watched him.
I just watched the game again, the last 4 minutes Geronimo played some really good basketball. On defense and on offense. His positioning and recovery was really good and his spacing on offense as well as his ability and willingness to screen was impressive. I look for him to keep getting more time as IU needs more athletes to compete as the year goes on.

Reactions: aajohn2000
I see some of these guys as a Steve Eyl,Kreigh Smith, Winston Garland type players. Not great but understand the roles they play in a game. Galloway is way more mature at this point than some. I think the discipline at Culver helped that. Geronimo is going to be a pleasant surprise eventually. Missing a Hillman,Roth,or Leary type shooter on this team. Hoping Leal will be that kid soon.

Hopefully the Indiana players carry a winning attitude into the games that IU has been missing. Combine that attitude with some elite athleticism that TJD and JG bring as well as an elite guard like KL and IU may have something.

Not surprised about the newcomer comments except pleasantly. Even Lander. He young. Was a mere boy in every sense at his age.

Like the take on Miller maybe insulating everyone including KL from expectations. Glad the rest of his class sounds like they're ready and able to help share the load.

Regarding your assessment of MIller, that's a conversation I'd like to have absent the cranks. If you credit the inferred management of nurturing/protecting Players in the crucible of mass media/public scrutiny, that seems indicative of a "great coach" in at least one respect. Suspect your opinion is informed by far more of what does/doesn't take place on the Court, would like to get a sense of that from your perspective. But not tonight - other doings afoot.

I wanted to wait a couple of games to see what we had to get back with you.

I was concerned about CAM's pre-season comments about Lander. I mentioned that if Lander wasn't good enough to start right away we were likely to be mediocre. Rob's shown little fire & leadership for 2 years running. Al's looked good at times against mediocre competition. When does he have a good game against really good competition? As for Franklin......he's not a ball handler and he can't shoot. Yes, he has some heart and he plays some D. He could be the 5th player on a really good team with other scoring options. That's not us.

On HSN, one poster commented that our starters today, other than TJD, were ranked as follows by 247 (composite?): Rob 135; Franklin 151; Race 134; Al 230. So we still lack talent. We still get exposed, especially if the upperclassmen lack the fire/passion of the freshmen, as they apparently did today (I just listened today, wasn't able to watch). And the freshmen, although they have the passion to play, are either raw or not all that talented to begin with. Lander seems like one of the most overrated 5* around. And the other guys' potential would be more interesting if this was year1, not 4, of Archie's tenure.

Put it another way. If JTD is 1st or 2nd team ABT, who on the team looks like a good candidate for 3rd team ABT? I would suggest no one. So this team looks like TJD and 9 other guys. Now.....if those other 9 guys were all junk yard dogs we could still be a very nice team. That was the rep of CAM's teams at Dayton. Why, in year 4 here, are they still so soft? I don't expect CAM to be a Bobby Knight, but he seems to be a weaker version of a Huggins....all D, little O, except that Huggins teams were always tough-minded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT