ADVERTISEMENT

Miller is 100% a better coach than Crean.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
We actually run a lot of real sets and real basketball plays out of these sets. Johnson hit a 3 out of an in bounds play. The screening on and off the ball is better. The blocking out fundamentals are better. This guy can coach. He's going to get it done. I'm very sure of that.

We actually run a lot of real sets and real basketball plays out of these sets. Johnson hit a 3 out of an in bounds play. The screening on and off the ball is better. The blocking out fundamentals are better. This guy can coach. He's going to get it done. I'm very sure of that.

Agreed but it doesn’t even have to be this detailed... e.g. IU now actually employs inbound plays that result in getting the ball IN BOUNDS! Ha.

And he talks to his guards for 3 sec in the backcourt with 4 sec left on the 10 sec clock

And he subs in up 5 w a slapstick lineup before 8 min mark to go down 3 at the timeout

And he doesnt call timeouts when the other team goes on runs...

And he doesnt give a 20 pt guy any minutes vs inferior opponents all pre-conference schedule

Yes we beat a shorthanded Minn team while we were also shorthanded...That is good. Lets not go overboard that Coach Popavich is on the IU sideline.

Reactions: Tegray1
CAM deserves his chance to establish a winning culture. He is making progress although sometimes it is very hard to see. I hope he quickly gets rebounding back to where it has been in the past, but it may be next year before we see it.

And he talks to his guards for 3 sec in the backcourt with 4 sec left on the 10 sec clock

And he subs in up 5 w a slapstick lineup before 8 min mark to go down 3 at the timeout

And he doesnt give a 20 pt guy any minutes vs inferior opponents all pre-conference schedule

Yes we beat a shorthanded Minn team while we were also shorthanded...That is good. Lets not go overboard that Coach Popavich is on the IU sideline.

You mean that guard who still got over the line in 10 seconds? The ref made that call based on the Minnesota bench reacting. Green was moving like a slug and should have maybe jogged up the floor to not make it so close but he still got over the line

He discussed that lineup change during the presser and explained why and also that the staff disagreed with him. It was awful and he knows it now. He at least took those guys out with a plan in mind and was going bring both back in after the 8 minute timeout regardless.

You have no idea how Justin Smith had been practicing during the early season. Justin was given his opportunity yesterday and he excelled. He looked lost in many other games prior.

I have seen a lot better IU teams lose to way worse Minnesota teams up there. It’s not just a win but a road win while down the starting Center and 6th man. Great win for the players and staff

You mean that guard who still got over the line in 10 seconds? The ref made that call based on the Minnesota bench reacting. Green was moving like a slug and should have maybe jogged up the floor to not make it so close but he still got over the line

klize17..... not to call you out on your post... but he didn't make it over the line.

Now... on the other hand... what is the definition of 10 seconds???
Does it mean that the ball has to hit the floor, on the other side of the line with
19 seconds showing on the shot clock? If that is what it means... then yes....
I think he would have made it.
I watched it over and over several times and I think the ball would have hit the floor at 19.
(you can't really tell... because the whistle blew and the clock stopped at 20)

So it comes down to the definition..... but in my opinion... I don't think he made it.

The real answer is.... it NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. :(

2a6s57l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: klize17
klize17..... not to call you out on your post... but he didn't make it over the line.

2a6s57l.jpg

Isn't the ref's count the only thing that's important here? Not the clock.

If the clock was important they'd have a clock for 3 second, 5 second, and 10 second violations.

No one on this thread has gone overboard saying that Archie Miller walks on water. No one here on this thread said that Archie Miller will hang 4 NCAAT Champion banners.

Jeez, Archie makes mistakes. He doesn't always explain his substitutions. He doesn't share with fans during the game what his coaching directions to the players are. So?

Be sure to not get excited that IU won on the road in the B1G.

RMK didn't call timeouts when the posters thought he should. And he ranks up there with Coach Pop.

No they didn't have a perfect game. No Archie didn't either. I doubt that Coach Pop has had one either.

It was great to see the effort for almost a full game. That is a big achievement. A pleasant surprise.

Archie historically has gotten more out of his team than the sum of it's parts. He was the best in the ACC. Whether he will excel at IU being in the B1G only time will tell.

It's heartening to see posts saying that the cup is half full...rather than half empty.

By definition, the ball and both feet of the player in possession must be in the frontcourt by the time the count hits 10. College officials will use the clock 9 times of 10 on this because the shot clock doesn't start until possession is inbounds in the backcourt

RMK one of the best coaches of all time usually never called a timeout when teams were making a run.

RMK one of the best coaches of all time usually never called a timeout when teams were making a run.

Yep... it was my recollection that he always said.... "The team knows (or should know) what needs to be done and it's up to them to change the tide".

That may not be his exact words... but that was the way that I always took it.

From my pt of view, for this season, W’s & L’s are going to mean a whole lot more to fans than they are to Archie & staff... I try to keep this in mind during the ups and downs! Also, this might be part of the reason why some players (eg ROJO) have some angst... I would too if I were a senior and stuck in the midst of this transition. He’s no dummy, he knows this season isn’t going to amount to much and I cannot imagine trying to deal with that, along with expectations, learning a new system, trying to get to the next chapter in his life/career etc.

Reactions: pumpfake

Geez Mrs. Crean. Chill!

He discussed that lineup change during the presser and explained why and also that the staff disagreed with him. It was awful and he knows it now. He at least took those guys out with a plan in mind and was going bring both back in after the 8 minute timeout regardless.

You have no idea how Justin Smith had been practicing during the early season. Justin was given his opportunity yesterday and he excelled. He looked lost in many other games prior.

I have seen a lot better IU teams lose to way worse Minnesota teams up there. It’s not just a win but a road win while down the starting Center and 6th man. Great win for the players and staff
I remember Eric Gordon getting a 10 second call against him during his one yr at IU. It happens sometimes. People make bone headed plays. They lose concentration. Who knows maybe Green was looking at a pretty girl and lost track of time. I dunno.

Archie makes mistakes. Sure. But far less mistakes than Crean did. He's probably not even hit his ceiling as a coach. We invested in the future not the present.
I do know this when you compare Crean and Miller. Big men will thrive a lot more in Miller's offense. I've seen more entry passes to the point so far this yr than I ever did during Crean's tenure. Morgan gets the ball in position to score. Davis when he was in there saw the same. There are ample opportunities to score if you are a big man down low. Now what we need is killer shooters who can thrive when the big man is double teamed.

He needs to reward better effort sooner. DAVIS should have been sitting. Smith should have been playing sooner.

He needs to reward better effort sooner. DAVIS should have been sitting. Smith should have been playing sooner.
Not sure about that. Davis has been sitting over 50% of the game time so far...well, it sure feels like it. Smith has had opportunities before last night's game.

Smith loses the ball, doesn't look like he knows where he is, and, being a freshman, he is adjusting to the game at this higher level. If he hasn't stepped up then how would one justify giving him more time.

Last night he hung on to the ball. He showed that he can be a great part of the team in one game. One game does not prove a lot. It does show he has talent, but we knew that.

Sometimes when u get the chance to play a big role your sense or urgency goes way up.

That lineup was not optimal, but there is no bench depth... at all. You can’t play guys 40 minutes. He sat everyone to get them ready for a final push to win the game and they did just that... they won the f-ing game. Don’t be dense.

I think it’s too early to say how Miller will do. The biggest disappointment for me has been the lack of effort too many games and little to no improvement over the year. However, just look at our guards. They make boneheaded plays that would get made fun of at the HPER. And Miller tries to use the bench. But the problem is, there is not a guard on the team who consistently values the ball and makes good decisions. Hard to blame Miller for that.

But I see a style of play trying to be instilled that I think will be good in the long run. Having big guys score inside? What a concept.

Lots a ball to be played yet.

Look at all the good guards that we missed on. Bryant Crawford, Bruce Brown, Tony Carr, Jalen Fisher, Mckinley Wright, Tremont Waters, and may others.

Are you at every practice? Do you know how he is as a teammate? Do you know how he is as a student? I already know the answer.....you watch 40 minutes of basketball a week and have all the answers.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Did you know that Davis is in the top 5% nationally in TO 9% vs Usage Factor 23%. He never turns the ball over. Did you know he's close to top 5% in offensive efficiency at 1.23 per possession and that's without a high FT rate? Do you get just how exceptional that is for a soph big? Probably not. Did you know that his 20.4 pts per 40 also puts him in the top 5% of that stat also?

No, I doubt very much you knew any of that. His only issue is stamina, (needs to build his lower body) which is the only thing that keeps him off the floor, and some describe him as some lazy chump that's under-performing. Do you think he has Marvin Bagley talent or something?

This fan base is infected with stupid... so many of you are annoyingly misinformed and so willing to put that ignorance on display. That's a really bad combination.

Last edited:
DAVIS hasn't played hard since the Duke game. Turns it over like crazy.

Not sure about that. Davis has been sitting over 50% of the game time so far...well, it sure feels like it. Smith has had opportunities before last night's game.

Smith loses the ball, doesn't look like he knows where he is, and, being a freshman, he is adjusting to the game at this higher level. If he hasn't stepped up then how would one justify giving him more time.

Last night he hung on to the ball. He showed that he can be a great part of the team in one game. One game does not prove a lot. It does show he has talent, but we knew that.

DAVIS is LAZY and hasn't played hard since the Duke game.

Are you at every practice? Do you know how he is as a teammate? Do you know how he is as a student? I already know the answer.....you watch 40 minutes of basketball a week and have all the answers.

Did you miss when the coach said he takes 1 foot shots and should make a high percentage of them. What is the guy he guards averaging? What's his rebound per minute. Very low for a 6 foot 11 guy. I don't need to be at practice to see that.

Did you know that Davis is in the top 5% nationally in TO 9% vs Usage Factor 23%. He never turns the ball over. Did you know he's close to top 5% in offensive efficiency at 1.23 per possession and that's without a high FT rate? Do you get just how exceptional that is for a soph big? Probably not. Did you know that his 20.4 pts per 40 also puts him in the top 5% of that stat also?

No, I doubt very much you knew any of that. His only issue is stamina, (needs to build his lower body) which is the only thing that keeps him off the floor, and some describe him as some lazy chump that's under-performing. Do you think he has Marvin Bagley talent or something?

This fan base is infected with stupid... so many of you are annoyingly misinformed and so willing to put that ignorance on display. That's a really bad combination.

lol ........ then you don't know what you're looking for

Yeah, because we are playing so much better than we did a month ago. Consistently better, too.

If you think this team has shown improvement this year, you and I have very different views on improvement.

Still lots of games to play, so there is a chance for improvement. And lots of room to improve.

Did you miss when the coach said he takes 1 foot shots and should make a high percentage of them. What is the guy he guards averaging? What's his rebound per minute. Very low for a 6 foot 11 guy. I don't need to be at practice to see that.
Didn't realize that Allen Iverson was posting here!!!
We talkin' bout practice? Clueless

DAVIS is LAZY and hasn't played hard since the Duke game.
Lazy? How often do you call black guys lazy? You better be sure of a charge like that and you can't be from just watching his games because I disagree with you. He has some weak areas that he needs to work on but I don't see him as lazy at all.

Davis has decent footwork and good hands (doesn't fumble passes). FWIW, Morgan looks more comfortable making post moves.

Davis isn't explosive to the basket yet and sometimes looks a little slow. Getting stronger will help him score through contact, but he can be a very good player. I don't think he has been healthy since the Tenn. Tech game. He hurt his left leg during the game and missed a lot of the first half getting treatment for it.

I've heard from someone who has seen 1 of their practices that Race Thompson looked more impressive than Davis did in practice.

Lazy? How often do you call black guys lazy? You better be sure of a charge like that and you can't be from just watching his games because I disagree with you. He has some weak areas that he needs to work on but I don't see him as lazy at all.

'Lazy' gets misused in multiple ways.

Guys with graceful, seemingly effortless athleticism get mislabeled as lazy. Derrick McKey comes to mind as an example. I doubt that any opponent that was defended by McKey would consider him lazy.

I don't think Davis is lazy, I think he has a poor motor.

The question becomes does he have an extra gear that he hasn't discovered, or is what we've seen from him all that he has to offer?

If he does have an extra gear, is Archie capable of forcing him to discover it, and will Davis be receptive to the methods Archie uses to make him discover it?

I fear that we've seen just about all that he has to offer. He's a big man with good basketball skills and average athleticism/explosiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT