ADVERTISEMENT

Military heroes in your family?

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
My great uncle was gunned down by Hitler's bunch at St Lo, France. He was a bad ass machine gunner and is buried in Brittany Cemetery in France.

Then, just last week, I found out that my great-great-grandfather on my mother's side fought for the Rebels in the Civil War. He and several of his brothers enlisted directly into the 38th Georgia Regiment. This is/was a startling revelation, I had NEVER heard this until I Googled his name and did a quick search.

Do you people have any military history in your blood?

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
My cousin is being honored at the Red’s game today (“Hometown Hero”). 10th Mountain Division, served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
We don’t talk about what he did, but I’ve been told it was badass.

My great uncle was gunned down by Hitler's bunch at St Lo, France. He was a bad ass machine gunner and is buried in Brittany Cemetery in France.

Then, just last week, I found out that my great-great-grandfather on my mother's side fought for the Rebels in the Civil War. He and several of his brothers enlisted directly into the 38th Georgia Regiment. This is/was a startling revelation, I had NEVER heard this until I Googled his name and did a quick search.

My mom!!!!!!!!!!! no telling how many siblings i have in vietnam and thailand.... she stayed with him when he came home...hero

My cousin is being honored at the Red’s game today (“Hometown Hero”). 10th Mountain Division, served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
We don’t talk about what he did, but I’ve been told it was badass.
Grandfather taught pilots how to swim and survive a water landing during WWII. He was too old to see combat at the time.
My great great great great great grandfather was a colonel under General George Washington during the Revolutionary War.
Another great great great great grandfather was a scout/spy during the War of 1812. Rumor is he and his best friend conveyed Oliver Hazzard Perry’s famous message “We have met the enemy and they are ours. Two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop.” to General William Henry Harrison. Ironically, I now work with the great great great great great (?) grandson of the best friend of my ancestor.

My uncle flew bombers over Italy in WWII. My dad was an engineer in Korea. If either was a hero we'll never know. Uncle Pete never talked about his time in, and the only thing Dad ever said was that he'd die of starvation first before he ever ate another Vienna sausage and that he'd never willingly spend time outside in cold weather.

On my Dad's side his oldest brother fought in WW2 in the army in Europe. Dad and his older brother fought in the Korean conflict. My Dad was in the army and his brother was in the Navy. My Dad's younger brother would have went to Vietnam but he got a fish hook caught in his eye as a child and was blind in it. Therefore he was 4F.
On my mother's side her brother fought in WW2 in Germany. Being German the locals recognized the german traits in him. He is still living.

Reactions: 76-1 and td75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT