ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson would be a great hire as the Indiana head coach

I love seeing all the love for Woody... it's awesome, but I've gotta ask where the hell were all of you guys and gals 13 years ago when I was getting reamed for bringing Woodson and Wittman into the conversation. I mean why wait till the twilight of Woodson's career to make a push, when maybe he could've been the guy for 20 years? Better super duper late than never I guess... lol
I’ll admit it. I wasn’t for Woody 13 years ago. 4 years ago? Maybe but thought Miller was the way to go.

But I’m on board the Woody train now.

I just read the article on HoopsHype.com. It confirmed what I believe the life of an NBA coach entails. For assistants such as Woodson, it's a substantial amount of film and providing the scouting on particular opponents. Secondly, each assistant spends time working with individual players in the hours leading up to a game so they can work on specific things.

There is nothing wrong with any of that, and it actually sounds like a great gig for someone who truly loves the game itself and not the trappings that come with it.

Unfortunately for Woodson, the difference between being an NBA assistant coach and a college head coach is humongous. In the college game, a tremendous amount of time is dedicated to recruiting, booster events, fan events, etc. I believe it would be a massive culture shock for a guy like Woodson.
Woodson was an nba head coach for almost 10 seasons.

I’ll be a big fan if Woodson is hired just as I was with past coaches. If the next coach flounders, I’ll gnash my teeth and look forward to a replacement. Not a whole lot I can do but hope for the best, and I cannot predict the future. So just sit back and support whomever is the next coach - he needs us walking in lock step in a positive light.

I love seeing all the love for Woody... it's awesome, but I've gotta ask where the hell were all of you guys and gals 13 years ago when I was getting reamed for bringing Woodson and Wittman into the conversation. I mean why wait till the twilight of Woodson's career to make a push, when maybe he could've been the guy for 20 years? Better super duper late than never I guess... lol
i like woodson. i have no idea where i was 13 years ago.

Reactions: kkott
Funny, all these Woodson cheerleaders. Woodson has been available for 10-20 years, yet really don’t recall too many advocating for him. Basically, people are beginning to recognize there’s not a lot of national interest in IU basketball. I guess the prospect of Woodson makes some feel a glimmer of hope things will change. Hey, if we’ve reached the point of buying out guys for 10 million to hire an NBA coaching journeyman, then I guess it is what it is. I’ll support Woodson and hope he’s the one who can bring it back.

Funny, all these Woodson cheerleaders. Woodson has been available for 10-20 years, yet really don’t recall too many advocating for him. Basically, people are beginning to recognize there’s not a lot of national interest in IU basketball. I guess the prospect of Woodson makes some feel a glimmer of hope things will change. Hey, if we’ve reached the point of buying out guys for 10 million to hire an NBA coaching journeyman, then I guess it is what it is. I’ll support Woodson and hope he’s the one who can bring it back.
Hey, I’m sure whether Woodson comes or not will depend, at least in part, on your support. So I’ll thank you in advance, on his behalf, for being so neat about his assumption of the position.

Hey, I’m sure whether Woodson comes or not will depend, at least in part, on your support. So I’ll thank you in advance, on his behalf, for being so neat about his assumption of the position.

He's merely giving his opinion. His opinion is worth no more or less than yours or mine.

You're the one defending a guy who's never coached college in his life...and who isn't on any school's list to hire.

I think there's a lot of silliness on this board re former players. I don't want to denigrate some of our all time greats, but coaching NCAA is a whole different thing.

Now it's "hey, let's just hire a bunch of IU guys!" and all will be well.

Funny, I doubt Woodson, etc. are even in serious consideration for the job. Dolson probably just wanted some counsel.

Reactions: Al Bino
The only great thing about it would be IU finally admitting they have no serious interest in winning big ever again. A lot of fans could finally go find other things to do and forget about IU basketball as anything more than a middling B1G program.

Can you get any more melodramatic?

Yea, a school that will make the new coach probably in the upper half of the top ten highest paid coaches in the country isn't serious.
A school that just put $40M into AH isn't serious.
A school that just remodeled the lock rooms isn't serious.

It is all just window dressing to give the appearance of being serious. SMH.

Amazing. Everyone should know that coaching the New York Knicks is a lot easier than coaching at Indiana. The Knick fans are very forgiving.

This is like a youth league looking for a coach, and saying "Yes, I see your NBA experience but we are very concerned that you have never coached at this level." How ridiculous is this.

As for recruiting. "Hello, I've spent the past 20 years coaching in the NBA, recently for the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden, maybe you have heard of em." "You want to be in the NBA? I know what the league is like and how to get you there at Indiana."

Woodson knows offense and how to work with young players, he may be the most qualified coach out there if he is willing to leave the NBA.

Stop making the college game something it isn't.

If Mike woodson is the best we can do, we are screwed. My choices
1. Gregg popovich
2. Monty Williams
3. Brad Stevens
4. Billy Donovan
5. Jay Wright/Mark Few

1. Gregg popovich
2. Monty Williams
3. Brad Stevens
4. Billy Donovan
5. Jay Wright/Mark Few
Bro you are a serious Clown. There is a reason that at this point, not one of these names are even in conversation as hires for Indiana basketball. Sure Brad Stevens had to respond once he was getting hammered over the head for 5 days, but other than that we don’t have a shot in hell at those coaches.

If this was supposed to be your “wish list”, fine, I’m sure we can all come up with something like this, but when you say “choices” those guys are not choices lol there’s not one of them we have the ability to choose from. This sh*t right here is what drives me nuts. Our program is not so prime time that we have the best of the best coaches salivating over us. Give me realistic suggestions. Not this garbage.

UNC shitcanned Matt Doherty after two years.
Shitcanned? Hah! Took the perfect storm of 2 things coinciding for him to get "shitcanned". 1) player revolt with multiple players and their parents going to the AD and threatening to leave, and 2) Roy finally succumbed and let it be known he'd return. Not like UNC pushed him out the door because they were fed up.

1. Gregg popovich
2. Monty Williams
3. Brad Stevens
4. Billy Donovan
5. Jay Wright/Mark Few
I don't care for popovich for personal reasons, but I like Monty Williams. In all fairness to Mike Woodson, his record is actually equally or more impressive. Neither has coached in college, which some feel is important, but both are really good personalities and coaches. Both are African American.

For some reason Woodson, perhaps because of his age gets disrespected. I think Woodson would be a really good hire if we are talking about recruiting and coaching, not name recognition.

Reactions: 76-1 and BayernFan
To those asking “why hasn’t Woodson been brought up in years past if he’s such a great coach?” The answer is quite simple. Any realistic person knew the IU Administration was hell bent on NOT hiring anyone tied to the RMK tree. Be it Woody, Alford, Wittman, Lawrence Frank, et al, none of them were getting the job. Now that it’s been 20 years of ham handed hires, mixed in with a former Knight Mgr as AD, maybe now is the time to “bring one home.” I’m not saying it will, or even should happen, but it shouldn’t be an automatic disqualifier as it has been in years past.

None of it will matter unless whoever we hire gets a transcendent talent to lead us back to elite. I think that could be Lander to start. With work and coaching, the good news is he's probably a 4 year player at this point and if he wants out early, he's gonna have to get a ton better, but I think he has that ability with the right coach. So say we manage to keep Lander, now we need a good big through transfer portal and probably a shooting guard, assuming somebody is interested in AF's services, which somebody probably will be. Rob is an enigma, and I'm kind of shocked he isn't one looking to transfer, cause he seems to be the single most poorly affected by AM's shit coaching.

Keep Lander, get a big and a SG, get Rob some hypnosis to remove the Archie, we can at least field a non-Crean like 1st yr team, but it will still suck till real recruiting can happen with a new coach.

Mike Woodson is a great guy, and a great Hoosier. But at 63 he has never coached college basketball or let alone recruited HS players to college. Hopefully it is not going to be Woodson. Might as well get Bobby Slick Leonard. If you are going to hire an old NBA only coach, go really, really old and be fodder on ESPN. (Oh wait, IU would be fodder for hiring Woodson after a $10 Mil buyout). The Woodson to college coaching ship has sailed years ago.

Last edited:
Mike Woodson is a great guy, and a great Hoosier. But at 63 he has never coached college basketball or let alone recruited HS players to college. Hopefully it is not going to be Woodson. Might as well get Bobby Slick Leonard. If you are going to hire an old NBA only coach, go really, really old and be fodder on ESPN. (Oh wait, IU would be fodder for hiring Woodson after a $10 Mil buyout). The Woodson to college coaching ship has sailed years ago.
What if we would have hired IZzo isn’t he older

Woodson as head coach is a solid hire. Woodson as head coach AND Matta as assistant AD/associate AD/Man Friday is a great hire! Nice work Dolson & Company. Nice work.

Reactions: BayernFan
I would have been good with Woodson or Wittman 13 years ago or after Crean. I wasn't putting them on any of my lists and they probably might have preferred to stay in the NBA coaching ranks 13 years ago. I like the Woodson hire especially along with bringing in Matta. I don't know how bad Matta's back or health is but maybe at some point it improves to the piont he can coach again. If it goes bad for Woody.

Going the NBA route, I probably would have tried to get Billups. Living in Austin, may be Texas will give him a look. I like Becky also. I believe the Dave Joerger would make a fine college coach also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT