ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson would be a great hire as the Indiana head coach

Myth Buster51

Recruit
Apr 19, 2011
Woodson has more than 20 years coaching at the highest level - including 5 seasons as the Hawks head coach and 2.5 seasons as the Knicks head coach. He played more than 10 years in the NBA and has a ring as part of the Pistons 2004 coaching staff. He has earned a reputation for demanding that his players play tough defense, in part because that's the way he was taught to play both in high school and college.

Woodson grew up in Indianapolis and scored more than 2,000 career points at Indiana playing under RMK. If that doesn't make you an "Indiana guy" I don't know what does. But being an "Indiana guy" is probably more important to alumni and boosters than it is for players and recruits.

I don't have the ability to fully articulate the life-long lessons [and coaching lessons] that are learned from playing four years under Knight - either you get it or you don't. He currently works alongside the modern-day NBA version of RMK - Thibodeau. Again, you either get what that entails or you don't. He's bright, hard working, determined, disciplined and loyal. And by all outward appearances, Woodson WANTS the job.

I don't know that Stevens does NOT want the Indiana job, but I'm convinced Stevens is nowhere close to being fully invested in becoming the next Indiana head coach. And I for one don't want to hire someone who only has one foot in the water while keeping the other planted on dry land. You're either all in or all out.

Woodson just turned 63. Who cares? That means he has at least 12 good coaching years in him. I'm sure some of the younger generation will argue that today's high school recruits have no idea who Mike Woodson is, and that's probably true. But until he became the head coach at Misheegan today's high school kids had no idea who Juwan Howard was. And I'm pretty sure you'll never seen Woodson embarrassing the program or the university by acting like he wants to fight a 5-10 opposing coach on the sidelines and then attribute his arrogance and stupidity on being "from Chicago."

While at 63 Woodson currently isn't a household name with today's high school recruits. But at only 63 most of today's high school coaches in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and the rest of the midwest still know who and what Mike Woodson is. He's a damn good coach and straight-shooter who is going to demand that his players give their best.

Mike Woodson would be a great hire as the next Indiana head basketball coach.

Woodson has more than 20 years coaching at the highest level - including 5 seasons as the Hawks head coach and 2.5 seasons as the Knicks head coach. He played more than 10 years in the NBA and has a ring as part of the Pistons 2004 coaching staff. He has earned a reputation for demanding that his players play tough defense, in part because that's the way he was taught to play both in high school and college.

Woodson grew up in Indianapolis and scored more than 2,000 career points at Indiana playing under RMK. If that doesn't make you an "Indiana guy" I don't know what does. But being an "Indiana guy" is probably more important to alumni and boosters than it is for players and recruits.

I don't have the ability to fully articulate the life-long lessons [and coaching lessons] that are learned from playing four years under Knight - either you get it or you don't. He currently works alongside the modern-day NBA version of RMK - Thibodeau. Again, you either get what that entails or you don't. He's bright, hard working, determined, disciplined and loyal. And by all outward appearances, Woodson WANTS the job.

I don't know that Stevens does NOT want the Indiana job, but I'm convinced Stevens is nowhere close to being fully invested in becoming the next Indiana head coach. And I for one don't want to hire someone who only has one foot in the water while keeping the other planted on dry land. You're either all in or all out.

Woodson just turned 63. Who cares? That means he has at least 12 good coaching years in him. I'm sure some of the younger generation will argue that today's high school recruits have no idea who Mike Woodson is, and that's probably true. But until he became the head coach at Misheegan today's high school kids had no idea who Juwan Howard was. And I'm pretty sure you'll never seen Woodson embarrassing the program or the university by acting like he wants to fight a 5-10 opposing coach on the sidelines and then attribute his arrogance and stupidity on being "from Chicago."

While at 63 Woodson currently isn't a household name with today's high school recruits. But at only 63 most of today's high school coaches in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and the rest of the midwest still know who and what Mike Woodson is. He's a damn good coach and straight-shooter who is going to demand that his players give their best.

You make some good points. However, the "12 good coaching years in him" is a huge stretch. How did Coach K do this year at age 74? Roy Williams at age 70? Even Izzo at age 66 is looking pretty used up. Bob Knight's last year was '07-'08, when he was 68. So, realistically, you're looking at 5 years tops of productivity.

Reactions: jughaid
Do you want the next coach at IU to right the ship and provide stability for the next 15 to 20 years? If so, Woodson is not the guy. He's 62 years old. There is absolutely no guarantee he has "12 good years" left in him.

Woodson has spent the past 40 years of his life either playing or coaching in the NBA. He hasn't recruited a single high school player. He hasn't developed a relationship with a single high school coach or AAU coach. He hasn't had to attend countless donor events to make appearances and keep the big money boosters happy. His life in the NBA has been about one thing and one thing only -- coaching the game of basketball.

IU needs a coach who has a full understanding of how to navigate the waters of college basketball so that this program doesn't remain stuck in neutral while others continue to pass us by.

You make some good points. However, the "12 good coaching years in him" is a huge stretch. How did Coach K do this year at age 74? Roy Williams at age 70? Even Izzo at age 66 is looking pretty used up. Bob Knight's last year was '07-'08, when he was 68. So, realistically, you're looking at 5 years tops of productivity.
Florida State coach is 74

I like that story in Feinstein's book where one of Knight's assistants (forget which) asked him if he wanted to go up to Indy to "watch Mike play." Knight said sure, so they went up to Market Square....and it turned out the "Mike" they had come to watch play was Jordan, not Woodson.

After the game, RMK told him that, as much as he loves watching Jordan play, in the confines of the Indiana basketball program the name "Mike" means Woodson, not Jordan.

I keep seeing this urge to consider IU legacies in this search but struggle with the logic.

Ask yourself three simple questions:

1. Would Woodson's resume cause you to consider him a strong choice, if it didn't include "Played for IU 40 yrs ago?"
2. Do you really think 16-17 yr old kids are going to make a yea/nay decision on playing for IU based on the fact that the coach played there 40 yrs ago?
3. Do most 16-17 yr old recruits even know who Mike Woodson is? (aside from a mediocre NBA coached who played college ball before the advent of the 3 point shot and the shot clock?)

Sorry to say, but...IMHO....not a good choice.

Reactions: kkott

Looking at these 4 guys....4 of the greatest ever......convinces me that hiring Beilein would be a really dumb move.

Reactions: kmathum
This is ridiculous. Woodson would be an unmitigated disaster as head coach. Think Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, and Ewing is far more well known than a guy who hasn’t been a head coach in seven freaking years. Recruits have no idea who Woodson is, He has never coached at the collegiate level.

Florida State coach is 74
[/Q

He wasn't that great to begin with, so he has less to lose. But he has held up well, no doubt.

Also, when you've been in the same routine for 15-20 years (like Woody) you can put it on auto-pilot. John Wooden won an NCAA championship in '74-'75, his last year, when he was 64. But even at 64, he didn't have the same fire he had earlier. Compare him to Knight in '75, who was like a caged tiger.

Here you'd have someone age 63 not only coming to a broken system, but never having coached in college. How many people age 63 change their career path in such a hectic line of work?

This is ridiculous. Woodson would be an unmitigated disaster as head coach. Think Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, and Ewing is far more well known than a guy who hasn’t been a head coach in seven freaking years. Recruits have no idea who Woodson is, He has never coached at the collegiate level.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about Woodson as a candidate. But I will say this much: people are putting way, way too much stock into this "recruits won't know who he is" thing.

Why is this only an issue when the prospective coach in question played in the NBA? What happens to that consideration for a coach like, say, Nate Oats? Do recruits know who he is?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So an NBA coach who has been fired twice and never gotten past the second round is going to lead IU to the promised land. Give me a break.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
It’s not a matter of who the HS kids might know. They also don’t know Beard, Musselman, Altman, etc.
Woodson has developed 100s of young men in the NBA. And he has led them and built relationships with them. It’s absurd to say that he wouldn’t know how to build relationships with HS coaches, kids, and parents.

I keep seeing this urge to consider IU legacies in this search but struggle with the logic.

1. Would Woodson's resume cause you to consider him a strong choice, if it didn't include "Played for IU 40 yrs ago?"
2. Do you really think 16-17 yr old kids are going to make a yea/nay decision on playing for IU based on the fact that the coach played there 40 yrs ago?
3. Do most 16-17 yr old recruits even know who Mike Woodson is? (aside from a mediocre NBA coached who played college ball before the advent of the 3 point shot and the shot clock?)

1. Yes, his 25 year coaching career in the nba is a huge draw
2. 16/17 year olds make decisions with the parents. Parents would love Woodson as a coach for the young men.
3. Woodson has a long list of former players that will easily highlight woodsons abilities.

do some research of what nba players have to say about Mike Woodson.

So an NBA coach who has been fired twice and never gotten past the second round is going to lead IU to the promised land. Give me a break.
So an nba assistant who’s never coached before is going to earn a number one seed, win conference and national coach of the year honors and take his team to sweet sixteen?
Never will happen, I’d bet my entire paycheck this scenario could ever happen.

Patrick Ewing never head coached in the NBA jeez dude.

He is a fine coach, but probably not the reason someone donated 10m to make Archie go away.

Stevens ain't coming. The $10 million was donated to get Archie out of that seat at the adults table so that a coach with Woodson's experience and leadership could take over. Woodson's hiring would be a 'monumental disappointment' only to those who remain convinced that Stevens is the one and only choice.

For those who want to argue that although he has more than 7 years experience head coaching in the NBA, Mike Woodson has never coached at the college level, I would suggest that Tom Allen was never a head football coach at the college level prior to Indiana. For those who think Mike Woodson can't walk into a gym or Midwest living room and immediately dominate the room, I won't have the ability or effort to convince you otherwise.

Last edited:
1. Yes, his 25 year coaching career in the nba is a huge draw
2. 16/17 year olds make decisions with the parents. Parents would love Woodson as a coach for the young men.
3. Woodson has a long list of former players that will easily highlight woodsons abilities.

do some research of what nba players have to say about Mike Woodson.
I just think it will be a massive challenge for a guy who hasn't been associated with college ball in 30+ yrs to take on the single most daunting task that currently exists in college ball today. This moment in time is too big for IU to roll the dice, then re-visit in a few yrs if it doesn't work out.

I just think it will be a massive challenge for a guy who hasn't been associated with college ball in 30+ yrs to take on the single most daunting task that currently exists in college ball today. This moment in time is too big for IU to roll the dice, then re-visit in a few yrs if it doesn't work out.
uhhhhhhhhhhh Michigan.

We rolled the dice with Lil Archie and Crean and boom the dreaded 7.

Reactions: kmathum
Yes a massive challenge....but that will be for any future coach with our expectations. We just need a coach that has high enough standards to reach our expectations.

The only great thing about it would be IU finally admitting they have no serious interest in winning big ever again. A lot of fans could finally go find other things to do and forget about IU basketball as anything more than a middling B1G program.

Reactions: IUgradman

Dumb again, would IU consider Juwan Howard????? Obviously no.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Hoopshype.com did an article on NBA assistant coaches and what they do. I highly advise anyone questioning Woodson and what he’s been doing as an assistant coach
I just read the article on HoopsHype.com. It confirmed what I believe the life of an NBA coach entails. For assistants such as Woodson, it's a substantial amount of film and providing the scouting on particular opponents. Secondly, each assistant spends time working with individual players in the hours leading up to a game so they can work on specific things.

There is nothing wrong with any of that, and it actually sounds like a great gig for someone who truly loves the game itself and not the trappings that come with it.

Unfortunately for Woodson, the difference between being an NBA assistant coach and a college head coach is humongous. In the college game, a tremendous amount of time is dedicated to recruiting, booster events, fan events, etc. I believe it would be a massive culture shock for a guy like Woodson.

Dumb again, would IU consider Juwan Howard????? Obviously no.
Did Woodson play for IU in the early 90s? Was he an NBA all star? Does he have an NBA championship ring? Is Howard over 60 yrs old? You're comparing apples and oranges.

UM did take a chance on Howard, but they had a strong recent recruiting history due to Beilein,, and 2 FF appearances in the past decade. Does IU have that? Was the state of UM basketball , when Howard took over, comparable to where IU bball is right now?

Stop comparing Howard and Woodson. Two totally different situations. UM ball wasn't in a state of despair. IU bball is.

Did Woodson play for IU in the early 90s? Was he an NBA all star? Does he have an NBA championship ring? Is Howard over 60 yrs old? You're comparing apples and oranges.

UM did take a chance on Howard, but they had a strong recent recruiting history due to Beilein,, and 2 FF appearances in the past decade. Does IU have that? Was the state of UM basketball , when Howard took over, comparable to where IU bball is right now?

Stop comparing Howard and Woodson. Two totally different situations. UM ball wasn't in a state of despair. IU bball is.
Did Howard take a team in the NBA to the playoffs like 3 straight years, we can go on and on all day dude.

Exactly. IU needs a coach who understands what it takes to build a program, culture and identity at the college level. This program is not currently in a place to entrust it to someone who has no experience in that regard.

Agree. We can’t go with Woodson. We need someone with college experience. Like Sampson, Crean and Miller. They know how to recruit, play by the rules, develop players, etc. Guaranteed program winners.

Did Howard take a team in the NBA to the playoffs like 3 straight years, we can go on and on all day dude.
yep...that's why I started my first comment with "IMHO"....but that doesn't get you much on this board except "dumb". Which btw...has been played to death around here.

Recruitment of 16-18 yr old kids will be huge and I'm just a little concerned that Woodson hasn't spent time on the recruiting trail.

Wake up man.

Howard inherited a goldmine. A program fresh off of multiple Final Fours. IU has missed the tourney 5 straight years.

Right now, Juwan Howard is no different than Mike Davis, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith or Kevin Ollie when it comes to being a COLLEGE basketball coach. All guys who walked into a goldmine and were eventually fired once water met it's level. Time will tell if JH can break that mold but there is nothing to indicate that is the case after less than 2 seasons at the helm.

That is the exact opposite situation our new coach is going to walk into. Woodson would inherit a dumpster fire and he has absolutely no name appeal at all to do anything in the transfer market. We'd be in a 5-6 year rebuild with a coach with no experience recruiting or building a college program. One that is over 60 years old.

It would be a disaster.

Reactions: shooter1977

Indiana Pacers. Yes. Indiana Hoosiers. No.

AMEN BROTHER! Hire him in an instant!

He’s been away too long from the college game and would need a very good assistant/ recruiter with current knowledge of college recruiting and, more importantly, is good at it. You could make the same argument for Stevens if he were the candidate selected

He has no College experience!
Lol
He has 30 years of professional experience. The transition concern is if Woodson has the desire or passion to be aggressive and productive on the recruiting trail.
His experience and or resume is more than qualified

I love seeing all the love for Woody... it's awesome, but I've gotta ask where the hell were all of you guys and gals 13 years ago when I was getting reamed for bringing Woodson and Wittman into the conversation. I mean why wait till the twilight of Woodson's career to make a push, when maybe he could've been the guy for 20 years? Better super duper late than never I guess... lol

ADVERTISEMENT