ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given cnn is a real news station...yup.

Wish more people could take a balanced view of world vs always partisan or #cancelculture like. You could not like him as a coach or if he's truly had a bad culture in his program. But can also have an opinion of "if a guy is wearing a t-shirt on a fishing trip that happens to be one that doesn't fit your views" that shouldn't be a reason someone gets fired or frankly that kids on team have to use it as a grievance against him. (Especially not going to him directly vs. straight to social media.) Again, one can love Tom Allen, as I do a lot. But not want to see #cancelculture spread because guess what, NO ONE is perfect , and even Tom Allen may have done something at some time that someone may find offensive. And also remember, one day, the same mob may come after you...so treat others the way you'd like to be treated. I choose to allow anyone to have their own views, even if, gasp, they may be political views I don't share.
Now back to pulling for the Hoosiers!

Did you even read the article? The t-shirt was just the tip of the iceberg it seems. The player certainly could have gone about it differently, and he admitted as much.

But there is a gigantic difference between differing of opinions and the promotion of a network that pushes debunked conspiracy theories on a daily basis. With all the “fake news” outcry these days it’s baffling how actual fake news is now just a “different opinion”. It’s flat out dangerous.

CNN and “real news” shouldn’t be used in the same sentence .... unless the sentence is cnn hasn’t been a real news provider in decades.

I kid I kid. However, if you think any of these “news” providers are anything more than a mouthpiece for their political party of choice I have some primo swampland, I mean real estate, in Florida for sale ;)

Wish more people could take a balanced view of world vs always partisan or #cancelculture like. You could not like him as a coach or if he's truly had a bad culture in his program. But can also have an opinion of "if a guy is wearing a t-shirt on a fishing trip that happens to be one that doesn't fit your views" that shouldn't be a reason someone gets fired or frankly that kids on team have to use it as a grievance against him. (Especially not going to him directly vs. straight to social media.) Again, one can love Tom Allen, as I do a lot. But not want to see #cancelculture spread because guess what, NO ONE is perfect , and even Tom Allen may have done something at some time that someone may find offensive. And also remember, one day, the same mob may come after you...so treat others the way you'd like to be treated. I choose to allow anyone to have their own views, even if, gasp, they may be political views I don't share.
Now back to pulling for the Hoosiers!

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more.

Did you even read the article? The t-shirt was just the tip of the iceberg it seems. The player certainly could have gone about it differently, and he admitted as much.

But there is a gigantic difference between differing of opinions and the promotion of a network that pushes debunked conspiracy theories on a daily basis. With all the “fake news” outcry these days it’s baffling how actual fake news is now just a “different opinion”. It’s flat out dangerous.

Im dubious you’ve watched a lot of OAN network vs just parroting what you read. Why? Because I wouldn’t even know where to find OAN. And even if they’re even half what you say, don’t act like CNN or MSNBC is pure, never partisan or never slanted. I don’t care what anybody watches, free world, but it’s BS to say coach should be fired for a network you don’t like’s t-shirt, as what if media turned and said same about a guy wearing an MSNBCt-shirt? It’s insanity that people be that triggered for partisan views.

Im dubious you’ve watched a lot of OAN network vs just parroting what you read. Why? Because I wouldn’t even know where to find OAN. And even if they’re even half what you say, don’t act like CNN or MSNBC is pure, never partisan or never slanted. I don’t care what anybody watches, free world, but it’s BS to say coach should be fired for a network you don’t like’s t-shirt, as what if media turned and said same about a guy wearing an MSNBCt-shirt? It’s insanity that people be that triggered for partisan views.
The word partisan should be thrown away. More importantly, everything is ideological, every piece of art, every commercial, even every "just the facts" news report. So arguing whether or not your station is just as ideological as theirs doesn't make any sense. The point is that some ideologies are so problematic that those who subscribe to them have no place doing the labor of managing other laborers. CNN and MSNBC suck but they aren't explicitly bigoted like OAN. To be clear CNN and MSNBC are bigoted and classist but it's quiet and implicit because that's the nature of neoliberalism.

Im you’ve watched a lot of OAN network vs just parroting what you read. Why? Because I wouldn’t even know where to find OAN. And even if they’re even half what you say, don’t act like CNN or MSNBC is pure, never partisan or never slanted. I don’t care what anybody watches, free world, but it’s BS to say coach should be fired for a network you don’t like’s t-shirt, as what if media turned and said same about a guy wearing an MSNBCt-shirt? It’s insanity that people be that triggered for partisan views.

L-O-L

Where to start?

- I have watched OANN. Often? Absolutely not for all of the reasons already mentioned.

- Did I say anything about CNN or MSNBC? Nope. Don’t watch them either. But as you said yourself, they are slanted and partisan. And that is waaaay different than supporting debunked conspiracy theories.

- It’s a free country to wear whatever you want but not a free country for a student to be upset about it? Got it. LOL

All corporate news media is bad. It's just the conservative corporate news media is a lot worse. Technically no corporate media exists to the left of center.

You clearly appear to be biased against conservative media. Your post is easily read as someone who can’t be unbiased. To state there is no corporate media left of center is ignorant and or naive at best.

You have lost all credibility ... you are are either a young person learning the ways of the world or you are leftist ideologist with no concept of of neutrality. Open your eyes.

You clearly appear to be biased against conservative media. Your post is easily read as someone who can’t be unbiased. To state there is no corporate media left of center is ignorant and or naive at best.

You have lost all credibility ... you are are either a young person learning the ways of the world or you are leftist ideologist with no concept of of neutrality. Open your eyes.

The word you’re looking for is ideologue, which he clearly is.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
- It’s a free country to wear whatever you want but not a free country for a student to be upset about it? Got it. LOL

The student can be upset about it, that’s fine. He could even speak to the coach about it. Lord knows, I got upset with the opinions of some professors back when I was in college. It never occurred to me to publicly condemn them because of it though. How can people with diverse viewpoints coexist like that? Obviously, they can’t. If more people can’t start adopting a live and let live attitude about politics I don’t know how we’re going to make it. People need to remember the concept of the marketplace of ideas and ditch this book-burning mentality.

Hate isn’t a viewpoint. There is no need for coexistence with hate. The coaches have their pulpits and it’s about time the players had theirs.

“Hate” in the 21st century has been defined down to include any view that is opposed to mine. Oppose affirmative action policies? That’s hatred of minorities. Oppose prayer in schools? That’s hatred of Christians. There are principled reasons to hold each of these positions, but instead of tolerating each other, people want to condemn each other as haters, fascists, etc.

The student can be upset about it, that’s fine. He could even speak to the coach about it. Lord knows, I got upset with the opinions of some professors back when I was in college. It never occurred to me to publicly condemn them because of it though. How can people with diverse
viewpoints coexist like that? Obviously, they can’t. If more people can’t start adopting a live and let live attitude about politics I don’t know how we’re going to make it. People need to remember the concept of the marketplace of ideas and ditch this book-burning mentality.

Of course you didn’t think to publicly condemn your professor - you didn’t have social media. They do now. For better or worse.

And the student admitted he went about it the wrong way and they seem to have started a dialogue because of it, so clearly they are coexisting just fine. A bit dramatic there, no?

Of course you didn’t think to publicly condemn your professor - you didn’t have social media. They do now. For better or worse.

And the student admitted he went about it the wrong way and they seem to have started a dialogue because of it, so clearly they are coexisting just fine. A bit dramatic there, no?

If Gundy keeps his job. Hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Nothing more naive than thinking "neutrality" or "unbiased" are things in the truest sense. You and I are both totally biased and non-neutral

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not to be political, but if your guy lies several times a day and the news people point that out, it is part of their jobs. It’s the ones who don’t point it out who are showing bias.
The news lies all the time but many people don't know that by checking information. There are very many stories they lied about including Trump by cutting off what he said. The most national media cover up for democrats trying to stop conservatives. I am not a big Trump person but his legal issues as president are very good.

The news lies all the time but many people don't know that by checking information. There are very many stories they lied about including Trump by cutting off what he said. The most national media cover up for democrats trying to stop conservatives. I am not a big Trump person but his legal issues as president are very good.
I read my news if I can.
If someone is telling me how to interpret events it's not news it's opinion management.
FOX, CNN, MSNBC - All play to an audience. (Friend is FOX executive. They know their base an cater to them. According to friend they all do it. Way more about talking points and manipulation and not news.) Sad.
  • Term limits
  • Mandatory retirement at SS age
  • Social Security and Medicare at retirement
Go Hoosiers!

If nothing else, Gundy wearing the OAN shirt on its own is just bad marketing. He's livelihood is, quite frankly, determined by the performance of a group of kids, a majority of whom happen to be young black men.

Considering OAN's placement on the political spectrum, their coverage has not been kind to a lot of the issues that these kids really care about. And more and more of these kids are finding their voice and making it heard. You don't even have to agree with them, their views, or their politics. But they're holding a lot of cards here so you better make darn sure you've created an environment where they feel listened to and accepted.

I'm not saying he needs to learn every word of "Fear of a Black Planet" or something, but it's bad marketing on his part, especially as fast as Twitter moves. It's going to be hard for him to stay ahead of this thing.

I'll also throw in that I really respected his "I'm a man, I'm 40" rant. It was goofy but he stood up strong for one of his kids and took a lot of flak for it (still does). He should dust that play off out of his playbook, because I don't think this is going to end up too terribly well for him/OSU if he doesn't get a handle on it in short order.

If nothing else, Gundy wearing the OAN shirt on its own is just bad marketing. He's livelihood is, quite frankly, determined by the performance of a group of kids, a majority of whom happen to be young black men.

Considering OAN's placement on the political spectrum, their coverage has not been kind to a lot of the issues that these kids really care about. And more and more of these kids are finding their voice and making it heard. You don't even have to agree with them, their views, or their politics. But they're holding a lot of cards here so you better make darn sure you've created an environment where they feel listened to and accepted.

I'm not saying he needs to learn every word of "Fear of a Black Planet" or something, but it's bad marketing on his part, especially as fast as Twitter moves. It's going to be hard for him to stay ahead of this thing.

I'll also throw in that I really respected his "I'm a man, I'm 40" rant. It was goofy but he stood up strong for one of his kids and took a lot of flak for it (still does). He should dust that play off out of his playbook, because I don't think this is going to end up too terribly well for him/OSU if he doesn't get a handle on it in short order.
^^^this^^^

^^^this^^^

Honestly, I have never seen nor know where to even find OAN, so clearly I'm not a fan. But if being rational, it's still sad that wearing an OAN t-shirt (or in today's world maybe even a Fox one) = toxic, but wearing MSNBC/CNN one = hall pass/okay? He was hardly "marketing it" in that the picture was a post of he & his 2 sons after a day deep sea fishing trip that got posted on social media. But it wasn't a press conference or worn to practice, he was on personal time on a boat in the ocean.

It's in the light of mobs tearing down any statues they find offensive - sometimes incorrectly in heat of the moment, talk of National Anthem being targeted, cancel culture running rampant on social media, I do think there will be some silent pushback to idea of people trying to mind police everyone or intolerance to anyone with a differing view on any or every issue someone has decided is "correct view thinking."

Again, I say that as not defending or having even ever watched OAN, I just wish there was a more "live and let live" view of how others live versus "live my way or we come after you" mentality that seems to be out there in today's wacky political climate which is not good for anyone if everyone is on guard and ready to pounce.

Since this is a football site, I'd add that I haven't really followed Gundy much but my sense is that his brand has been that of a "cowboy, gunslinger, bit out there" guy who fans either love or maybe hate (nothing to do/well before t-shirt pic). So kind of like a Kevin Wilson type, when you rub a lot of people the wrong way and have some arrogance issues, you don't end up having very much deposited into the "Goodwill bank" if you do step in it. That would strike me as what I bet may be happening here too.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT