ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Davis gets a new gig

Didn't realize Mike was out at Texas Southern. Looks like 6 years is about it at one place. Good luck to him.

That's kind of an odd move, he's had pretty good success at Texas Southern. I guess the Horizon is a little better than the SWAC, but not that much. Hopefully he's getting a good pay raise.

Good luck to Coach Davis. Interesting to see him still kinda floating around trying to find his place long term as a head coach. Like water, he's still trying to find his level.

It's fair to say he has had mixed results coaching. He has never proven to be a great Xs and Os coach, but he has taken multiple teams to the NCAA tournament.

On paper, at least, he has a good resume. I expect he's a lot more mature now than when he was here and I wish him good luck.

Good luck to Coach Davis. Interesting to see him still kinda floating around trying to find his place long term as a head coach. Like water, he's still trying to find his level.

It's fair to say he has had mixed results coaching. He has never proven to be a great Xs and Os coach, but he has taken multiple teams to the NCAA tournament.

it's a move up. maybe he believes he has unfinished business in this game. he was the best coach on the planet for two weeks some 16 years ago (hf i'm getting old). dude wants those feelz back. lol

It was funny on Twitter, I think it was Jeff Goodman just posted that Mike Davis gets the Detroit gig and quite a few people thought it was the Pistons job.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
I'm glad he is doing well. We met him in the Orlando airport and flew to Indy on the same plane. He was very nice to my son and daughter when he could have easily kept to himself. I saw my daughter waving to someone at the baggage claim and it was Mike Davis waving goodbye after they had met in Orlando.

He wasn't prepared to lead the IU program, but I have to give him credit for being able to coach the team to within one game of our 7th title. I didn't like his offense, but he did a pretty good job on the defensive end.

At Texas Southern, his first home game isn't usually until late December or January. They do that because the athletic department doesn't have much of a budget and 6 figure deals to play road games add up. He probably had the toughest non-conference schedule of anyone in the country, while there. I get people are down on him from his days here, but he wasn't ready for this job or UAB. Circumstances (with no side blameless) lead to him being thrust into the role here). He did a fantastic job at Texas Southern getting them in the dance year in and year out. I hope the Hoosiers can schedule his new team soon. Bottom line is he has earned another chance at a program with less difficulties. I do believe he is much better prepared now. I joked UGA should have hired him, but honestly, I think he is a much better person and coach now.

That's kind of an odd move, he's had pretty good success at Texas Southern. I guess the Horizon is a little better than the SWAC, but not that much. Hopefully he's getting a good pay raise.

Reactions: Easton West
Texas Southern would've kept him, if that is what you are implying. For an extremely low major, he got them in the dance year in and year out while playing the most difficult ooc in the country with no budget. Even has had the competitive against bigger schools.

I always thought he would be successful at a place like Ball State or another MAC school.

I thought Cresn might be successful at a MAC school, where he might eventually end up.

Reactions: hondo314
I'm glad he is doing well. We met him in the Orlando airport and flew to Indy on the same plane. He was very nice to my son and daughter when he could have easily kept to himself. I saw my daughter waving to someone at the baggage claim and it was Mike Davis waving goodbye after they had met in Orlando.

He wasn't prepared to lead the IU program, but I have to give him credit for being able to coach the team to within one game of our 7th title. I didn't like his offense, but he did a pretty good job on the defensive end.
We have 6 titles?

According to Detroit Free Press, the deal is not complete. Sources saying he could go back to Texas So if they come up with the right $$. Stay tuned....

According to Detroit Free Press, the deal is not complete. Sources saying he could go back to Texas So if they come up with the right $$. Stay tuned....
Which would be a better place to live? Houston or Detroit are places I have never been to. I would think from a weather standpoint Houston would be better, but then again you don't see hurricanes in Detroit.

Mike Davis has come a long way in his coaching since leaving Indiana. I consider him a better coach than Tom Crean, today.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Which would be a better place to live? Houston or Detroit are places I have never been to. I would think from a weather standpoint Houston would be better, but then again you don't see hurricanes in Detroit.

Detroit comes in second to Cleveland as the armpit of America.

Reactions: hoosiers
I can't believe someone like Dayton didn't hire him. They hired Anthony Grant. That was a bad hire.

So you would go with Houston as a better place to live? Again, never been to either place and just asking.

Well, my brother-in-law lives in Houston, & he likes it there.
But he doesn't like me, & the feeling is mutual, soooo, No.
But it still beats out Cleveland & Detroit.

He did a fantastic job at Texas Southern getting them in the dance year in and year out. I hope the Hoosiers can schedule his new team soon.
We scheduled them (Texas Southern) a few years back, didn't we? Yeah, bringing him back with Detroit would be a good move for all concerned.

Reactions: hondo314
I feel the same way about Davis as you guys did about crean. He always seemed like an ahole to me because beating Kentucky was more important than winning championships imo to him

Davis still not listed as head coach on Detroit Mercy's site

Still working on contract details, apparently.

I feel the same way about Davis as you guys did about crean. He always seemed like an ahole to me because beating Kentucky was more important than winning championships imo to him
I actually liked his passion about beating UK. He is a class act except when it comes to UK. Being from Washington IN a lot of our jokes were tailored against people from Kentucky. You'd just take the old pollack jokes and replace it.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
WGAFF...

I actually liked his passion about beating UK. He is a class act except when it comes to UK. Being from Washington IN a lot of our jokes were tailored against people from Kentucky. You'd just take the old pollack jokes and replace it.
Cool story, bro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT