ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Davis firing

Per your subject line, Mike Davis was not fired. He announced his resignation in the middle of the season.
True this, he wasn't fired, but resigned. It doesn't look good to the outside world, the judgmental, when a man is fired, especially if...no, I won't go there, only because I told myself I wouldn't. Bob Knight was given the opportunity to resign or be fired. Bob Knight lived by his convictions and never wavered. This is what he was all about. Knight was man enough not to take the coward's way out.

True this, he wasn't fired, but resigned. It doesn't look good to the outside world, the judgmental, when a man is fired, especially if...no, I won't go there, only because I told myself I wouldn't. Bob Knight was given the opportunity to resign or be fired. Bob Knight lived by his convictions and never wavered. This is what he was all about. Knight was man enough not to take the coward's way out.
Kind of like our supreme Clown Fred Glass!!!! Resign or b fired

Kind of like our supreme Clown Fred Glass!!!! Resign or b fired
No offense to my attorney friends, of which there are many through the years and seemingly on every street corner now, but I really hope this next athletic director isn't an attorney. Their decision making is viewed through a lens clouded by the legality of too many complicated issues. Let's get a more regular, genuine glad-hander on the golf course, a people person more like all of us and one who works his ass off, all the while with a smile.

Bob Knight loved working under the directorship of Bill Orwig. Bill was a born and raised mid-westerner who played basketball and football, a Michigan man, who later coached at the collegiate level as an assistant and had a prior athletic administrative job at Toledo before taking over the reigns at IU. If only we could be lucky enough to hire another Bill Orwig. If only we had but the left over candy and nuts of Christmas, we'd still be eating, along with visions dancing in our heads, the way IU basketball used to be, not there, yet, for us to see.

Also Mike Davis HATED Kentucky unlike our current coach who is practically family with Calipari-disgusting
Interesting you should say this, because Davis is now coach at Detroit Mercy, and one of his players is Brad Calipari who is a grad transfer from Kentucky with 2 years of eligibility left. Mom goes to a lot of the games and dad gets to an occasional one when his schedule permits. I'll bet Davis may feel a little differently now.

Reactions: abraxis
Interesting you should say this, because Davis is now coach at Detroit Mercy, and one of his players is Brad Calipari who is a grad transfer from Kentucky with 2 years of eligibility left. Mom goes to a lot of the games and dad gets to an occasional one when his schedule permits. I'll bet Davis may feel a little differently now.
Nice research that clearly shows the beauty of the Internet. On social media, there always seems to be someone in the know to help clarify things as they really are.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Davis had one of the best winning percentages against Purdue of any IU coach, maybe THE best (I'm too lazy to look it up).

Davis had one of the best winning percentages against Purdue of any IU coach, maybe THE best (I'm too lazy to look it up).
Right cause he knew how to beat Purdue and it’s still true today...you take them off the dribble!!! All day

As I watch this embarrassing debacle, I am reminded that Mike Davis had us in the lead in the National championship game against Maryland. Yes, we lost but on hindsight, Mike's teams were never as horrid as what we have been watching for a long time. Sampson, the cheater and Crean and Miller (the no clue guys) have set us back from elite to an afterthought. How sad.

He also brought in three Mr. Basketballs from Texas, Bracey, Maryland, Strickland, and Louisiana, Donald Perry. That is pretty good recruiting in my humble opinion. And DJ White was a great player. His classes were much better than Crean's or Millers.

Are you two posters the same guy? Which one of you is the winningest coach in Ohio high school basketball, both girls and boys? Which of you is in the Ohio HOF?
Are you even allowed to have two screen names? :rolleyes: :D

I am Rotonda Jim. I rarely post and probably used the name Rotonda in the past. I am the winningest coach at Cleveland John Marshall for girls and also coached boys for 4 seasons and freshman boys for 9 years and yes am in the Ohio Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame. But no I am far from the winningest coach. I was lucky enough to coach many amazing athletes including Desmond Howard before he transferred to St. Joseph's in his junior year. I am a 1969 IU grad and knew Mike Davis pretty well and did attend his practices and clinics yearly. Coach Knight just ignored me.

Davis was in a very tough situation. I liked him but he wasn't a great coach and his sidelines behavior was sometimes embarrassing. Nevertheless, he did catch lightning in a bottle in 2002 and nearly pulled it off. The Duke win was a top 5 moment for the program. And anyone who says he did it with RMK's team is incorrect. That was two years after RMK was gone.

Davis was in a very tough situation. I liked him but he wasn't a great coach and his sidelines behavior was sometimes embarrassing. Nevertheless, he did catch lightning in a bottle in 2002 and nearly pulled it off. The Duke win was a top 5 moment for the program. And anyone who says he did it with RMK's team is incorrect. That was two years after RMK was gone.

Well, that’s wrong. Every player on the floor was recruited by RMK.

Reactions: abraxis
I am Rotonda Jim. I rarely post and probably used the name Rotonda in the past. I am the winningest coach at Cleveland John Marshall for girls and also coached boys for 4 seasons and freshman boys for 9 years and yes am in the Ohio Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame. But no I am far from the winningest coach. I was lucky enough to coach many amazing athletes including Desmond Howard before he transferred to St. Joseph's in his junior year. I am a 1969 IU grad and knew Mike Davis pretty well and did attend his practices and clinics yearly. Coach Knight just ignored me.

Nice to know where you’re coming from. Your agenda on this topic is pretty transparent.

No offense to my attorney friends, of which there are many through the years and seemingly on every street corner now, but I really hope this next athletic director isn't an attorney. Their decision making is viewed through a lens clouded by the legality of too many complicated issues. Let's get a more regular, genuine glad-hander on the golf course, a people person more like all of us and one who works his ass off, all the while with a smile.

Bob Knight loved working under the directorship of Bill Orwig. Bill was a born and raised mid-westerner who played basketball and football, a Michigan man, who later coached at the collegiate level as an assistant and had a prior athletic administrative job at Toledo before taking over the reigns at IU. If only we could be lucky enough to hire another Bill Orwig. If only we had but the left over candy and nuts of Christmas, we'd still be eating, along with visions dancing in our heads, the way IU basketball used to be, not there, yet, for us to see.

Not only should the next AD not be an attorney, more importantly he should have an athletics background.

Reactions: Al Bino
Didnt iu ‘hire’ davis bc the tram threatened to quit if he didnt replace Knight? Never letkids decide nothing.
They gave Davis an interim year because of that. Why he got the gig permanently after a 1st round flameout is a better question. But, that wasn't any worse than coach Knight had done in the previous 5 seasons...

As a lawyer I have no idea why anyone thought glass was qualified. AD departments have legal counsel on staff to handle compliance and legal matters. I played a D1 sport and am a law grad from iu and have no clue how to run an athletics dept. hire a guy with AD experience. Hell hire a guy with success in an AD office.

Reactions: kkott and abraxis
Davis actually was burdened by a serious stutter in his youth. He largely overcame it but if there were signs of stuttering as an adult (I never really noticed any) I wouldn't hold that against him.
You misconstrued or I didn’t convey what I wanted to. I just meant that he was thrown into a tough spot without any leadership experience and many of us had never heard him talk. He seemed shy and uncomfortable and I admire how he stepped up.

Reactions: Radio Zero
If I recall correctly, one of Davis’ biggest missteps was that he failed to capitalize on the NCAA title game appearance and finished 2nd or 3rd on nearly every big name recruit.

Look at Davis's record. Top half of the Big Ten every year, third winningest percentage all time, kept his kids out of trouble and they graduated. If he was good enough to be Knight's assistant and main recruiter, why wasn't he good enough to run the team?
He pissed off the Indiana high school coaches and he got little help from them. He even pissed off coach Sparks from VU when he came with Carl Landry on a visit. Sparks said he would never recommend one of his players to play for Davis.

He wasn't ready to run a program like IU.

Reactions: .Gerdis
As a lawyer I have no idea why anyone thought glass was qualified. AD departments have legal counsel on staff to handle compliance and legal matters. I played a D1 sport and am a law grad from iu and have no clue how to run an athletics dept. hire a guy with AD experience. Hell hire a guy with success in an AD office.
The decision making process of the IU Board of Trustees has certainly been perplexing with some of these hires. Is the talent pool low, or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT