ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Davis firing

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
As I watch this embarrassing debacle, I am reminded that Mike Davis had us in the lead in the National championship game against Maryland. Yes, we lost but on hindsight, Mike's teams were never as horrid as what we have been watching for a long time. Sampson, the cheater and Crean and Miller (the no clue guys) have set us back from elite to an afterthought. How sad.

As I watch this embarrassing debacle, I am reminded that Mike Davis had us in the lead in the National championship game against Maryland. Yes, we lost but on hindsight, Mike's teams were never as horrid as what we have been watching for a long time. Sampson, the cheater and Crean and Miller (the no clue guys) have set us back from elite to an afterthought. How sad.
The bulk of Davis’ players in that Championship game learned their discipline under Knight’s tutelage. Crean didn’t set us back like the others did. He had some decent teams.

Reactions: cryano
The bulk of Davis’ players in that Championship game learned their discipline under Knight’s tutelage. Crean didn’t set us back like the others did. He had some decent teams.
I’m sick and tired of hearing this. Mike Davis was the cosch ok. Here’s your logic when Archie fails it was the previous coaches fault but when Davis won it was previous coach who caused it. Lame

Davis should have been let go, but you’ve got to make the right hire after that. You can’t hire someone corrupt like Sampson. We haven’t recovered from it yet. It’s brought this program to its’ knees.
Why did Davis need to go???

I compare Bracey Wright's Sophomore or Junior year's team to this one. They couldn't score either.

Look at Davis's record. Top half of the Big Ten every year, third winningest percentage all time, kept his kids out of trouble and they graduated. If he was good enough to be Knight's assistant and main recruiter, why wasn't he good enough to run the team?

Look at Davis's record. Top half of the Big Ten every year, third winningest percentage all time, kept his kids out of trouble and they graduated. If he was good enough to be Knight's assistant and main recruiter, why wasn't he good enough to run the team?
I could say but would get banned but it’s pretty obvious.

Reactions: Harry Hondo

I must’ve missed those great Bracey Wright squads that finished in the top half of the B10 and those men of high character that we brought in like Marco Killingsworth.

I know the answer also and remain saddened by it.So looking back now I would hope that all realize how stupid all of that nonsense was as we look back from our educated eyes today

I know the answer also and remain saddened by it.So looking back now I would hope that all realize how stupid all of that nonsense was as we look back from our educated eyes today

In addition to race baiting, you’re looking back through some extremely rose colored glasses as well.

I get your sarcasm but no, I am not race baiting at all. I am merely pointing out things that I I actually witnessed that were beyond disgusting. I am too old (72), to have any reason to not tell the truth. But believe what you want.

How can you say no clue Crean? He won 2 outright Big 10 Championships. He just won on the road at a top 10 opponent today. This team is poorly constructed. Archie has had two full and 1 partial recruiting for IU and here is where the team is at now.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why did Davis need to go???

I'm with you completely on Miller! that said, davis absolutely needed to go. my memory isn't great on the specifics but there were some bizarre times under davis that gave rise to his "moving on." missing games hiding in his basement, etc. i genuinely liked davis a lot and wanted him to succeed. i can still picture him stuttering at the podium. anyway he definitely needed to move on.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Per your subject line, Mike Davis was not fired. He announced his resignation in the middle of the season.

Reactions: 13thman

It’s not whether he was ‘good enough’ or anything else. The AD let the tail wag the dog and capitulated to threats from the players instead of making a considered and informed decision regarding the future of a blue blood institution. I’m a Dan Dakich fan and would have been fine with him being the IU coach (yes, I know he was at BG at the time) had Knight left when he was on the bench but, still, you don’t make knee jerk hires bc someone is popular. And, lastly, I think DD would make a fine AD for IU. Anyhoo, none of this matters any more. IU is just a run-of-the-mill program feasting on its past glory.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
It’s not whether he was ‘good enough’ or anything else. The AD let the tail wag the dog and capitulated to threats from the players instead of making a considered and informed decision regarding the future of a blue blood institution. I’m a Dan Dakich fan and would have been fine with him being the IU coach (yes, I know he was at BG at the time) had Knight left when he was on the bench but, still, you don’t make knee jerk hires bc someone is popular. And, lastly, I think DD would make a fine AD for IU. Anyhoo, none of this matters any more. IU is just a run-of-the-mill program feasting on its past glory.
If we are a run-of-the-mill program why are we still spending like a top 5 program? Because based on the results we're seeing we are pissing money away.

Dementia’s kicking in early there pops...

i’m sorry, sir, but as somebody that just lost a parent to dementia; that is a horrible thing to say....

as you can see, i am a boiler.
i am not here to attack anything about IU, or you.

i would hope that other sensible hoosier fans would agree with me, that what you said is just not right.

i hope to hell you never have to deal with “the long good-bye”

i am old enough to miss the days when keady and knight fought for the big ten. and i truly hope those wonderful days return.

i am sorry to interrupt this thread....

i’m sorry, sir, but as somebody that just lost a parent to dementia; that is a horrible thing to say....

as you can see, i am a boiler.
i am not here to attack anything about IU, or you.

i would hope that other sensible hoosier fans would agree with me, that what you said is just not right.

i hope to hell you never have to deal with “the long good-bye”

i am old enough to miss the days when keady and knight fought for the big ten. and i truly hope those wonderful days return.

i am sorry to interrupt this thread....

You know nothing about me. Have an 89 year old grandparent and am dealing with it right now as a matter of fact. Would never think of getting my panties in a bunch over a random comment on a messageboard about it, but I’d expect nothing less from a sanctimonious PU fan. One of your late buddies, Heller (RIP), had a knack for that BS as well.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I agree, hindsight is 20/20. I was of the opinion that Davis had to go, but he actually was growing into the job and not regressing like Archie and Crean. My older and apparently wiser cousin saw it and said at the time that we'd regret letting him go. The man could coach and could recruit, he just wasn't RMK yet, and I and most others didn't have the patience for 1st round exits. Look what we've had since, my cousin was right. As outrageous as it seems in hindsight, I wish we would have kept Davis.

Davis should have been let go, but you’ve got to make the right hire after that. You can’t hire someone corrupt like Sampson. We haven’t recovered from it yet. It’s brought this program to its’ knees.

If we're taking "should haves" Mike Davis should never have been hired as HC. He said himself at one point that he was in over his head. He's a great guy but he was not at all ready.

Reactions: Jg48
If we are a run-of-the-mill program why are we still spending like a top 5 program? Because based on the results we're seeing we are pissing money away.
That's what I don't understand. We pay top 10 money yet but really demand results.

Um didn't Davis get fired by UAB? Albeit some good seasons there he ultimately didn't exactly light up that league. He's 3-12 at the moment in a terrible conference.....I'll pass.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I'm with you completely on Miller! that said, davis absolutely needed to go. my memory isn't great on the specifics but there were some bizarre times under davis that gave rise to his "moving on." missing games hiding in his basement, etc. i genuinely liked davis a lot and wanted him to succeed. i can still picture him stuttering at the podium. anyway he definitely needed to move on.
Davis actually was burdened by a serious stutter in his youth. He largely overcame it but if there were signs of stuttering as an adult (I never really noticed any) I wouldn't hold that against him.

He also brought in three Mr. Basketballs from Texas, Bracey, Maryland, Strickland, and Louisiana, Donald Perry. That is pretty good recruiting in my humble opinion. And DJ White was a great player. His classes were much better than Crean's or Millers.

This is BS. Mike is a great guy in an impossible situation. Nobody was going to succeed in the eyes of Hoosier Nation on the heels of BK. People liked Mike personally but his tenure was doomed from day one.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I agree, hindsight is 20/20. I was of the opinion that Davis had to go, but he actually was growing into the job and not regressing like Archie and Crean. My older and apparently wiser cousin saw it and said at the time that we'd regret letting him go. The man could coach and could recruit, he just wasn't RMK yet, and I and most others didn't have the patience for 1st round exits. Look what we've had since, my cousin was right. As outrageous as it seems in hindsight, I wish we would have kept Davis.
Davis resigned in January of his last season, effective at the end of the season. He wasn't ready for the head coaching job at Indiana and said so himself. He said, "I wasn't prepared [to coach at Indiana], I knew I wasn't prepared, but I tried to walk out like I was prepared."

Davis is a better coach now, but he's not coming back to Indiana.

He also brought in three Mr. Basketballs from Texas, Bracey, Maryland, Strickland, and Louisiana, Donald Perry. That is pretty good recruiting in my humble opinion. And DJ White was a great player. His classes were much better than Crean's or Millers.
Don’t forget Robert Vaden that dude could ball!

Also Mike Davis HATED Kentucky unlike our current coach who is practically family with Calipari-disgusting

If we're taking "should haves" Mike Davis should never have been hired as HC. He said himself at one point that he was in over his head. He's a great guy but he was not at all ready.
At least he was being honest! Unlike our stubborn current coach who refuses to try something different

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT