ADVERTISEMENT

Microcosm of the WC??

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
So Frank Luntz held a zoom session split evenly between Trump and Biden voters on the question of "unity". Specifically, on Biden's call for unity in his inaugural address...

As you can see, these folks agreed on nothing, although the rigid partisan discussion did find some Trump voters crossing over on the $1400 additional stimulus checks. I'd say my award for the biggest bitch goes to Pammy from Texas, but no doubt others will have other villains to designate. Luntz was not just frustrated but seems to have reached the breaking point. I did notice that they presented many of the same arguments heard here, from both sides of the political divide...

"Shortly after President Joe Biden's call for unity in his inauguration speech, ex-Republican pollster Frank Luntz held a focus group evenly split between Biden and Trump voters to see what connected.

The Zoom session was swiftly derailed by shouting, crosstalk, disputes over basic facts and even deeply personal attacks, such as one panelist mocking another for sharing his mother's death from COVID-19.

"Saying it's tough is an understatement," Luntz said on Fox News Wednesday night before anchor Bret Baier showed clips from the raucous focus group. "I reached a point where I don't want to do this anymore."

When you're dealing with a cult, you have to know that it is futile to offer up facts, however verifiable, as evidence that they ought to change their ways. Many of them will burrow deeper into the rabbit hole, every time. A few might be salvagable, so I guess it could be worth the effort, but for most, you just have to take steps to minimize risk of danger to the general public.

So Frank Luntz held a zoom session split evenly between Trump and Biden voters on the question of "unity". Specifically, on Biden's call for unity in his inaugural address...

As you can see, these folks agreed on nothing, although the rigid partisan discussion did find some Trump voters crossing over on the $1400 additional stimulus checks. I'd say my award for the biggest bitch goes to Pammy from Texas, but no doubt others will have other villains to designate. Luntz was not just frustrated but seems to have reached the breaking point. I did notice that they presented many of the same arguments heard here, from both sides of the political divide...

"Shortly after President Joe Biden's call for unity in his inauguration speech, ex-Republican pollster Frank Luntz held a focus group evenly split between Biden and Trump voters to see what connected.

The Zoom session was swiftly derailed by shouting, crosstalk, disputes over basic facts and even deeply personal attacks, such as one panelist mocking another for sharing his mother's death from COVID-19.

"Saying it's tough is an understatement," Luntz said on Fox News Wednesday night before anchor Bret Baier showed clips from the raucous focus group. "I reached a point where I don't want to do this anymore."

it's definitely a volatile time. now the left are rioting. they just trashed the original starbucks. i have to say i think biden is the right guy to preside over such a fractured country. i hope his policy is moderate - at least for a while. he already has bernie bitching about trying to slam legislation through

When you're dealing with a cult, you have to know that it is futile to offer up facts, however verifiable, as evidence that they ought to change their ways. Many of them will burrow deeper into the rabbit hole, every time. A few might be salvagable, so I guess it could be worth the effort, but for most, you just have to take steps to minimize risk of danger to the general public.
there you go contributing to the bullshit. the left's a cult too. you do realize they're rioting again right? see how that works?

It all depends on what Biden means by unity exactly, on this he's been pretty vague up until now. If he means getting back to a place where Americans can hold common values, disagree often, but leave each other the hell alone, that is great.

If he means unify behind my administration and our objectives that's another thing entirely. I don't have to like most of what the Biden administration hopes to accomplish, but if we can come to agree on stuff that should be table stakes like individual freedom, self-reliance, equality of opportunity, competition and hard work there may be hope yet.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
all rioting needs to to stop. There is no justification for rioting.

A quote I remember form this past summer was: "Rioting is not protesting. Looting is not protesting. Setting fires is not protesting."

who do you think said that?

or... “There’s no place for violence, no place for looting or destroying property or burning churches or destroying businesses. We need to distinguish between legitimate peaceful protest and opportunistic violent destruction”

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Holy shit this guy found all of the cartoonish stereotypes.

Team sports. Politics is just another team sport now. We need to get back to policy, not politics.

In fact this is worse than arguing about IU or Purdue or the cousin kissers down south. There is true vitriol here. I've never been this pissed off about anything sports related or politics related (at least not since the 92 Final Four).

And while both sides can show their ass, if we're talking about cultishness right now, the far right is bonkers. It's like saying a wolf and a basset hound are both canines. Sure, but one's a little more canine than their other.

there you go contributing to the bullshit. the left's a cult too. you do realize they're rioting again right? see how that works?
A cult needs a cult leader who demands absolute loyalty. And when he doesn’t receive it he turns on them and tries to destroy them and shame them publicly. He also expects them to do anything for him, even like raid the Capital building. You obviously didn’t learn anything these past 4 years. The left has no cult leader and these rioters in Portland certainly didn’t do this for the democrats. They basically told Biden and the new administration to F-off.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
A cult needs a cult leader who demands absolute loyalty. And when he doesn’t receive it he turns on them and tries to destroy them and shame them publicly. He also expects them to do anything for him, even like raid the Capital building. You obviously didn’t learn anything these past 4 years. The left has no cult leader and these rioters in Portland certainly didn’t do this for the democrats. They basically told Biden and the new administration to F-off.
someone's organizing it

Might be a distinction, might be difference. But, there is definitely no sitting Dem Senators or House members actively cheering it on, i.e. Hawley, Cruz, Brooks etal.
I was being flippant to be honest. My broader point was that the fringe in the left is no different or better than the right. And I can promise you there are house members cheering it on. One was doing the same thing in Stl six months ago. silence = violence

There you go contributing to the bullshit. I agree with your call out of bullshit (perhaps for different reasons), but then you drop your own large pile by applying an overly broad generalization of actions by the fringe elements to those on "the left". To be honest, that's no better than applying an overly broad generalization of "cultists" to all but the fringe elements of the right. Rioting and violence are not productive. Truth matters. Dialogue is valuable. Less bullshit would be a good thing. I wish we could strive to better express ideas, debate differences, work to understand and admit that we have a love for many of the same things in this great country. Passionately debating the merits of the ideas and actions of those on the fringes of either the right for the left might be fun for awhile, but in the end - it's just bullshit.

I was being flippant to be honest. My broader point was that the fringe in the left is no different or better than the right. And I can promise you there are house members cheering it on. One was doing the same thing in Stl six months ago
The only thing being organized on the Dem side is being done by Stacy Abrams and she's probably smart enough to stay away from it. The thing with the far left is given an option between Biden and Che Guevara, they'd probably vote Che. The far right idolized Trump and Republicans were ok with it, until they weren't.

I'm all for moving on. I don't think impeaching Trump does much good other than make people feel better. He's not going to win anything even if he survives the next four years. More than likely his ass is going to be tied up in court until he dies.

But we should not forget what happened. One of our two major political parties let a demagogue in to run roughshod all over them. Let's make sure it doesn't happen again.

I find these focus groups to be interesting.

However, the group leader and members selected along with questions asked can lead to some worthwhile information, or can be a disaster.

The zoom format with everyone allowed to speak at will along with some folks who came with a prepared speech made the first fifteen minutes chaotic. Luntz had no control.

At the end with people being called upon to speak and answer the same question, the session became more civil.

All in all, i have serious doubts that this focus group session represents the mood and thinking of the country at this time.

Having said that, I continue to think the country is divided.

Nevertheless, hoping the divisiveness will improve. Cannot help but think there are many people out there who want the nation to continue to be divided. They think the divisiveness serves their agenda.

You (and many other regular liberal Cooler posters) need a psychiatrist, if not a whole team of them.

You are a sucker for every dog-whistle, me-me and buzz word the media and internet can invent. Pavlov Goebels Pelosi & AOC, LLC could have you diving off a cliff chasing an imaginary grammaw in a wheelchair you believe was pushed off it by a - GASP! - Republican!

Speaking as a guy who voted against Trump 4 times (that's 2 primaries and 2 general elections - for you fellas who slept through high school Civics, or went to a school where Woodstock Nation was able to remove Civics from the curriculum), I'm telling you for your own good - if you are really so susceptible that you see 75,000,000 Trump voters as a "cult," you lack sufficient human and self-awareness to be permitted outside of a padded room. You'd walk into traffic and blame the truck. YOU are equally in need as your "THEM" of being deprogrammed from having been brainwashed. Your views are just as entrenched and dangerous as these people:

5069.jpg

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Go on - say it - and mean it:

"Hello. I'm Outside Shooter .. and I'm a Toxan."

Feel better.

I am against the impeachment of Trump.

It isn't necessary. The only thing it would accomplish is preventing him from ever again running for office, if they get 67 votes.

They can accomplish the same thing in one day with a 51-50 vote finding that he violated article 3 of the 14th amendment. They wouldn't need proof of sedition, or treason, or even any expressly criminal act.

Just a conclusion that he gave aid or comfort to enemies of the Constitution.

People ought to be pushing this path. Clear, simple, quick, effective. The turd is flushed.

I find these focus groups to be interesting.

However, the group leader and members selected along with questions asked can lead to some worthwhile information, or can be a disaster.

The zoom format with everyone allowed to speak at will along with some folks who came with a prepared speech made the first fifteen minutes chaotic. Luntz had no control.

At the end with people being called upon to speak and answer the same question, the session became more civil.

All in all, i have serious doubts that this focus group session represents the mood and thinking of the country at this time.

Having said that, I continue to think the country is divided.

Nevertheless, hoping the divisiveness will improve. Cannot help but think there are many people out there who want the nation to continue to be divided. They think the divisiveness serves their agenda.

He knew what he wanted and he got it.

He found the right boxes to check. As Stephon from SNL would say...this club had everything

KoolAid drinking stopthestealers
Trumphate addicts
Capitalists with no understanding of Capitalism
Capitalist haters with no understanding of Capitalism
Racists both black and white
loudmouth know it alls
Hoaxers
Snowflakes

In other words...this board without any objective moderates.

He put them together, left all the mics open and then feigned shock and disappointment when they did exactly what he knew they would do.

After all...a respectful conversation would never get retweeted like a solid food fight.

I am against the impeachment of Trump.

It isn't necessary. The only thing it would accomplish is preventing him from ever again running for office, if they get 67 votes.

They can accomplish the same thing in one day with a 51-50 vote finding that he violated article 3 of the 14th amendment. They wouldn't need proof of sedition, or treason, or even any expressly criminal act.

Just a conclusion that he gave aid or comfort to enemies of the Constitution.

People ought to be pushing this path. Clear, simple, quick, effective. The turd is flushed.

I want him to lose his benefits

I want him to lose his benefits
i do too. not that it means anything to him but it's our money. as an aside i read an article the other day about his holdings. the guy's leveraged to the hilt but has a shit ton of assets. i was surprised just how much he has out there. hell he's still collecting inheritance dough.

further tangent. i read that rockefeller in today's dollars would be worth north of 400 billion. we think of the dough musk and bezos have; less than half rockefeller

i do too. not that it means anything to him but it's our money. as an aside i read an article the other day about his holdings. the guy's leveraged to the hilt but has a shit ton of assets. i was surprised just how much he has out there. hell he's still collecting inheritance dough.

He has a lot to monetize as necessary to pay off debts and he will squeeze his base for more via TrumpTV, books, appearances etc. If he only has 20% equity in the buildings, property and golf courses it is still a staggering amount of money.

He needs to trim his burn rate and that will be difficult given the legal, debt service and maintenance costs on his plate.

This will be fascinating to watch.

He has a lot to monetize as necessary to pay off debts and he will squeeze his base for more via TrumpTV, books, appearances etc. If he only has 20% equity in the buildings, property and golf courses it is still a staggering amount of money.
I'd be surprised if he had that much equity currently in a lot of his holdings. The travel and hospitality industry is in a shambles. Plus, Trump appears to have a tendency to leverage everything he has for his next big thing.

I'd be surprised if he had that much equity currently in a lot of his holdings. The travel and hospitality industry is in a shambles. Plus, Trump appears to have a tendency to leverage everything he has for his next big thing.
Travel and hospitality tanked but his interest in other real estate was way more than I thought. the guy is loaded. Many shared interests that would preclude him from being able to liquidate. They’ll find tax issues.

But what about the benefit, he now has, by having tens of millions of adoring citizens to which he can market his ideas and wares ?
I'd be good with him collecting all that money so long as he can't hide it from his creditors.

Just think -- in a couple years he'll be like Willie Nelson, having big events and passing the hat to pay off his debts. Ideally, he'll have to file bankruptcy so a trustee has the power to manage all his assets, with no interference from Trump.

I'd be good with him collecting all that money so long as he can't hide it from his creditors.

Just think -- in a couple years he'll be like Willie Nelson, having big events and passing the hat to pay off his debts. Ideally, he'll have to file bankruptcy so a trustee has the power to manage all his assets, with no interference from Trump.
I’m sure that’s why he moved to fla. homestead

Trump could actually gain my respect if he moved next door to Willie Nelson, Don Nelson, and Woody Harrelson on Maui, grew his hair into a long ponytail, and played poker and smoked weed all day. If Don Nelson can adopt that lifestyle in retirement, there’s hope for Trump. Nah!

Reactions: UncleMark
Trump could actually gain my respect if he moved next door to Willie Nelson, Don Nelson, and Woody Harrelson on Maui, grew his hair into a long ponytail, and played poker and smoked weed all day. If Don Nelson can adopt that lifestyle in retirement, there’s hope for Trump. Nah!
I chortled as I imagined the reality show.

Reactions: Morrison
I chortled as I imagined the reality show.

You may already know this, but those guys are all neighbors on Maui and actually live that lifestyle. Owen Wilson is also in their clique. Don Nelson had two stints as the Warriors coach here in the Bay. Local reporters have done interviews with him on Maui at his house. He smokes weed, has a pot farm, has his hair in a ponytail down his back. It’s hilarious, because he was an old school taskmaster type in the NBA.

He told a story of playing poker at his house with Willie Nelson, and a couple of others. They’re all stoned and one of his friends up and drops dead at the poker table. Don Nelson says, “What should we do”? Willie says, “Nellie, he’d want us to play through”. That’s what they did until the ambulance/coroner arrived.😂

ADVERTISEMENT