ADVERTISEMENT

Micheatgan at it again!?

I tip my hat to anyone that can steal the signs and then actually use it to their advantage. And by that I mean figuring out the signs is one level of hard. Recognizing them as they're being called in DURING your game is another level of hard. Then communicating an adjustment to your 11 guys on the field as it's happening is an additional level of hard.

As an aside, I've always wondered, when you have three guys on the sideline signaling in plays, obviously only one of them is 'real'. So how do the other 2 guys know what to signal in that looks real and isn't also what the LIVE guy is signaling? Do they just ad lib or is someone in their ear calling a fake play?

Boy this on the level of Kansas and North Carolina basketball stuff ,what a joke the NCAA is ? They are an embarrassment to everything they do .They do know how to set up a basketball bracket.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My understanding is that sign-stealing per se isn't violative of NCAA rules. The use of electronic equipment to record signals is a violation, though. So is In-person advanced scouting of opponents.

My understanding is that sign-stealing per se isn't violative of NCAA rules. The use of electronic equipment to record signals is a violation, though. So is In-person advanced scouting of opponents.
If you can steal them in real time more power to you. There is a rule against this however and is part of a pattern of behavior when put along side the recruiting violations and having analysts coaching players. The boom needs to be lowered.

I agree with the "no electronics" rule. Human sign-stealing is just part of the game. If you want to risk your own play-calling based on what code someone thinks they cracked instead of good strategy and execution, that's on you. Bird used to tell opponents the play, with accuracy, and still beat 'em.

Reactions: jsenleo
I tip my hat to anyone that can steal the signs and then actually use it to their advantage. And by that I mean figuring out the signs is one level of hard. Recognizing them as they're being called in DURING your game is another level of hard. Then communicating an adjustment to your 11 guys on the field as it's happening is an additional level of hard.

As an aside, I've always wondered, when you have three guys on the sideline signaling in plays, obviously only one of them is 'real'. So how do the other 2 guys know what to signal in that looks real and isn't also what the LIVE guy is signaling? Do they just ad lib or is someone in their ear calling a fake play?
Yea if you can do that and get away with it good for you. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you are not using electronics. If they have a guy on the sidelines that has figured it out then the other team needs to change its method. Sub a guy from the sideline to bring in the plays. Good for Michi!

This could be as simple as a staffer in a scouting role boosting himself as a superb analyst trying to move up in the ranks, when really he's just a cheat, and has JH fooled. It is more likely given the social media buzz from someone at Tennessee that this is systemic with plausible deniability built in. My guess is Harbaugh is found not directly involved but guilty of not fostering an atmosphere of compliance.

This could be as simple as a staffer in a scouting role boosting himself as a superb analyst trying to move up in the ranks, when really he's just a cheat, and has JH fooled. It is more likely given the social media buzz from someone at Tennessee that this is systemic with plausible deniability built in. My guess is Harbaugh is found not directly involved but guilty of not fostering an atmosphere of compliance.
You don’t think Harbaugh would know why a low level staffer was next to his coordinators at all times? There’s even evidence that puts them together on the sideline.

Im sure that will be Harbaugh’s argument but I doubt IU will ever face him as a HC again and it’s starting to look like Penn St might not either.

Reactions: IUgradman
You don’t think Harbaugh would know why a low level staffer was next to his coordinators at all times? There’s even evidence that puts them together on the sideline.

Im sure that will be Harbaugh’s argument but I doubt IU will ever face him as a HC again and it’s starting to look like Penn St might not either.

Remember, sign stealing isn't illegal, and neither is using TV broadcasts of game tape. It's in person advanced scouting and means of A/V devices that is illegal. The staffer *could be* convincing everybody he's just really good at this job, which can legally be analyzing game film and watching the other sideline during games for signs that he's picking up. But I said I think it's more likely that this is systematic with plausible deniability built in.

I like Deion's response: Still gotta stop it!

Okay but the video of him having a sheet of OSU signals during the game is going to need a better explanation than that.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Remember, sign stealing isn't illegal, and neither is using TV broadcasts of game tape. It's in person advanced scouting and means of A/V devices that is illegal. The staffer *could be* convincing everybody he's just really good at this job, which can legally be analyzing game film and watching the other sideline during games for signs that he's picking up. But I said I think it's more likely that this is systematic with plausible deniability built in.

I like Deion's response: Still gotta stop it!
There’s way too much dirt on this guy but I get your point. Personally I just don’t think Michigan or Harbaugh get off with nothing happening. Dawad Jones was asked about their game last year, yesterday and he said they thought Michigan knew something and they tried to change some things but it was impossible to change most of it. James Franklin was asked and he thought something was fishy when on 4th and 1 and they came out in Jumbo set and Michigan was in cover 2. I’m paraphrasing both but it was along those lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT