ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Penix ranked #16 QB

I love the zip on the ball he throws. It is special. But equally impressive to me is he does NOT get happy feet in the pocket, but stays calm, has composure.

I’m hopeful that up to 220lbs AND having two seasons of learning from injuries that this is year he puts it all together for a great season!

I want to see where Penix is rated after he plays a full season this year. Without question he is a talented QB and IU will benefit if he can play the entire year. 16th isn't bad but he will rank higher with a full season.

Last edited:
I love the zip on the ball he throws. It is special. But equally impressive to me is he does NOT get happy feet in the pocket, but stays calm, has composure.

I’m hopeful that up to 220lbs AND having two seasons of learning from injuries that this is year he puts it all together for a great season!

For no fault of your own, this post made me go into a mini-panic attack.

Because first I read it and I think to myself, he technically could go to the draft after a monster RS-So season, although I think he'd have to have a Heisman caliber season to do that and losing him to the draft after 1 year isn't likely. So no major concern, right?

WRONG!

Because then my meds really started wearing off and it occurred to me that he could have the kind of season we all hope he does and if he has the good head on his shoulders that I think he does, he could graduate after 3 years of college and do a grad transfer to LSU or something with 2 years of eligibility.

So I hope you're happy with yourself for all you put me through. :D

Reactions: vesuvius13
For no fault of your own, this post made me go into a mini-panic attack.

Because first I read it and I think to myself, he technically could go to the draft after a monster RS-So season, although I think he'd have to have a Heisman caliber season to do that and losing him to the draft after 1 year isn't likely. So no major concern, right?

WRONG!

Because then my meds really started wearing off and it occurred to me that he could have the kind of season we all hope he does and if he has the good head on his shoulders that I think he does, he could graduate after 3 years of college and do a grad transfer to LSU or something with 2 years of eligibility.

So I hope you're happy with yourself for all you put me through. :D

If Penix has an awesome year but himself (and scouts) all feel he needs one more year of college FB, I can't imagine him leaving he place he chose over FSU (as a FL kid) whose system he'd know, for a program that would be all about him and in a conference where if he continues to shine, he could still win a Heisman (as team in 2 yrs could be even stronger). Peyton Ramsey left b/c of Penix, but was at IU 4 yrs. I don't think you need to worry about Penix leaving as a transfer. If he leaves for NFL, it likely means he had a huge year for IU (who likely also had a huge year) and likely means the 4-star Indy Lawrence Central QB will pick IU after season they just had and Penix going pro! There, feel better now?

If Penix has an awesome year but himself (and scouts) all feel he needs one more year of college FB, I can't imagine him leaving he place he chose over FSU (as a FL kid) whose system he'd know, for a program that would be all about him and in a conference where if he continues to shine, he could still win a Heisman (as team in 2 yrs could be even stronger). Peyton Ramsey left b/c of Penix, but was at IU 4 yrs. I don't think you need to worry about Penix leaving as a transfer. If he leaves for NFL, it likely means he had a huge year for IU (who likely also had a huge year) and likely means the 4-star Indy Lawrence Central QB will pick IU after season they just had and Penix going pro! There, feel better now?

Thanks......I needed that

*I made a meme to post, no luck*
div>

div>

42w63i

I think there's a reasonable chance that Penix is in the Heisman discussion before he leaves IU, but he has to first elevate IU to "legitimate threat in the Big Ten" status (i.e. double-digit wins) in order to receive serious consideration.

But this season (assuming we have a season, with awards) it's pretty much just a two man race (Fields and Lawrence) in my opinion.

I'll add this as an observation...QBs have "gone early" to the NFL...but usually (my recollection and I'm positing this here for comment/insight)...those kids are in the Heisman talk. The QB position seems to be a position where kids play four...

Frankly.

It's a sport that requires a tremendous amount of strength and endurance (yes...I know that there's a bunch of time between snaps, etc. But the exertion is profound for every player on the field) so every year in college is something that helps them prepare for an NFL career (whereas the physical demands of the NBA or MLB is such that 18 yo's can go pro)...

Man I could be off base...but would be interested in the opinions here...

I'll add this as an observation...QBs have "gone early" to the NFL...but usually (my recollection and I'm positing this here for comment/insight)...those kids are in the Heisman talk. The QB position seems to be a position where kids play four...

Frankly.

It's a sport that requires a tremendous amount of strength and endurance (yes...I know that there's a bunch of time between snaps, etc. But the exertion is profound for every player on the field) so every year in college is something that helps them prepare for an NFL career (whereas the physical demands of the NBA or MLB is such that 18 yo's can go pro)...

Man I could be off base...but would be interested in the opinions here...
He's going to have to play an entire season before any discussion of leaving early has any validity.

I will say this - he's going to have 2 proven WRs this year to throw to, and presumably a very good TE. Those 3 guys will be gone after this year. If Penix has the opportunity to leave early, I'd bet he'll take it.

He's going to have to play an entire season before any discussion of leaving early has any validity.

I will say this - he's going to have 2 proven WRs this year to throw to, and presumably a very good TE. Those 3 guys will be gone after this year. If Penix has the opportunity to leave early, I'd bet he'll take it.

Only counter to that is I think he's got some really strong rising talent that will see a lot of action this year too. He may be able to feast for two years easily.

ADVERTISEMENT