ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Penix $500 appearance fee

iueyedoc99

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2012
This is being discussed on the hoops board but some of us don’t go there much. I guess this was in the news a couple days ago.

My first thought was “only $500?” My second was “this is going to change everything!” Big programs with rabid fan bases can now use this as a recruiting tool (whose star players are making more selling merch, ads on SM, etc). I see us quickly returning to the days of star players in certain programs driving ridiculous cars they were legitimately paid to record a commercial or “appear” at a dealership.

And someone was worried about a few transfers messing with the locker room?

I (mostly) understand the rule but I really fear what it will do to college sports.

This is being discussed on the hoops board but some of us don’t go there much. I guess this was in the news a couple days ago.

My first thought was “only $500?” My second was “this is going to change everything!” Big programs with rabid fan bases can now use this as a recruiting tool (whose star players are making more selling merch, ads on SM, etc). I see us quickly returning to the days of star players in certain programs driving ridiculous cars they were legitimately paid to record a commercial or “appear” at a dealership.

I (mostly) understand the rule but I really fear what it will do to college sports.
Yeah, much better when players are treated like chattel while rich old men make millions off this "amateur sport".

I don't make money off of IU football.

I prefer the old men not making millions. That excess money could be used to lower tuition and what not.

Problem is the rich people in control would laugh at the idea of a maximum wage.

Yeah, much better when players are treated like chattel while rich old men make millions off this "amateur sport".

There is no doubt that is valid. We have been heading here for a long time but the NCAA bylaws have kept us stuck in the 1960's for as long as they possibly could. So all of a sudden there have been about 60 years of changes compacted into about 4-5 years time. Most of which has come in the last 2 years.

I say all of this because typically with change it happens slowly and its easy to consume that evolution process. This time its happening fast and with so many gates being brought down at once, its going to be hard to envision them being able to do this transition smoothly. But....it does need to happen and even though there will certainly be lumps, it does need to happen. Once thing settle, lets hope it shakes out in IU's favor.

The weirdest internet creatures are the guys who post once or twice in football or basketball but have made the baffling decision to make the random "water cooler" section of a college sports forum a fixture in their lives.

I think the NCAA could have done this in a much better way several years ago with the union movement for athletes came up. It was clear then, despite the legal loses by athletes, the status quo wouldn't last. Many ideas could have been put in place, IE let athletes sign deals with companies but require money put into an account while they were on scholarship. By taking smaller steps along the way it would have avoided this free for all that will bring about issues until things even out.

I worry about gambling make more inroads to college athletics that can really cause problems. As a HS coach I was concerned about gamblers in our city getting a hold of players to throw games. Take a poor kid and offer them thousands to throw a game wasn't an outrageous thought to have; now multiple that by thousands of dollars and college athletes can be enticed too.

I think it will work out in the end but it could be a wild ride for a while.

I think the NCAA could have done this in a much better way several years ago with the union movement for athletes came up. It was clear then, despite the legal loses by athletes, the status quo wouldn't last. Many ideas could have been put in place, IE let athletes sign deals with companies but require money put into an account while they were on scholarship. By taking smaller steps along the way it would have avoided this free for all that will bring about issues until things even out.

I worry about gambling make more inroads to college athletics that can really cause problems. As a HS coach I was concerned about gamblers in our city getting a hold of players to throw games. Take a poor kid and offer them thousands to throw a game wasn't an outrageous thought to have; now multiple that by thousands of dollars and college athletes can be enticed too.

I think it will work out in the end but it could be a wild ride for a while.

previously if a player got money to throw a game, if you found a money trail the act could be proven and the player and briber would face consequences.

now, someone with $50,000 riding on a game can pay a kid for an endorsement or an appearance or just to forward a tweet, and even if said kid throws 3 picks and has 3 fumbles, the last with his team at 1st and goal from the 3 while 4 points down, there is literally no way to go after the kid or the guy with $50,000 on the line who hired the kid, as there is now a legal pretext for the exchange of funds.

and just manipulating the point spread would be cheaper/an easier sell to a kid than throwing a game.

in politics, it's effectively impossible to police corruption, no matter how blatant.

that is now the case in college sports also.

as for not being able to use the NIL to pay a kid to attend this or that school, how beyond naive is that idiotic thinking.

star HS QB or point guard is offered $30,000 and use of a new Escalade for 5 yrs to endorse Bob's Buick Cadillac in C-Bus Ohio, but offer contingent on his going to OSU.

totally legal deal as i see it, and if not, no doubt tweaking the deal to circumnavigate anyplace said deal did cross a line would be child's play.

as for what schools will benefit most, well OSU is in a city the size of Indy and a state twice the size of Indiana, where not only are they the default home school for the entire state, but they are effectively the equivalent of IU, PU, ND, the Colts, and the Pacers, in the C-Bus area.

UCLA and USC are in a 19 million greater metro population area, that has a national media spotlight.

seems Nike could easily circumvent any obstacles in the way of funneling money to a kid to attend OU or any Nike school, just by funneling said money through a third party first if necessary, and it would be totally legal no matter how blatantly obvious it was.

by the NCAA schools structuring their defense against the public and political pushback to millions to the coaches and administrators and none to the players with the NIL, so that none of any money a kid gets comes out of the adults' pockets as it would were the schools to just pay the kids something, the NCAA schools have not only willingly given up any way to police anything, but have opted for a system that has unlimited potential to produce massive inequality between schools and the players themselves, and absolutely zero ability to police corruption and bribery, no matter how blatantly obvious..

Last edited:

Who couldn't have seen this coming?

I will. They generate millions of dollars for a very limited return. As a capitalist and a person who believes in the individual and not the institution, I will be supporting them fully!
If a recruits destination choice is in part a function of how much money they can make, the fans are placed in a position to influence up or down a destination choice.

ADVERTISEMENT