ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Durr

Edey averaged 9 and 5 in 15 minutes last year. I think Durr will play somewhere around 15-20 min per game next year and be in that general vicinity.
He’s 4 inches taller and Avg 8.7 and 4.4.

And Purdue runs a vastly different system of pounding the ball into their big guys. He was a focal point when he was on the floor.

Fan bias and unrealistic expectations have always fascinated me.

Reactions: EarlTubbs

And Purdue runs a vastly different system of pounding the ball into their big guys. He was a focal point when he was on the floor.

I said general vicinity, Durr averaging something like 7 and 5 wouldn't shock me. He's a good FT shooter, rebounds and cleans up well around the rim.

You said role players off the bench don't avg 8 and 6 in 15 mpg as if it was absolute certainty. Once again you were wrong.

Reactions: hatchetdad
I've avoided commenting on this post until now, but do have to add one thing- you will be hard pressed to find any player, anywhere, in the history of basketball- who averaged 7 rebounds a game, coming off the bench. And then, add to that, the massive level jump of competition into the B1G.

FP2 and I agree on ...well....nothing...but on this topic, yes, let's be realistic about expectations. Durr's addition should help this team shore up the inside quite well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If we can get 6/4 from him next season that would be solid. Basically replacing Brunk's numbers with someone who can actually jump and contest shots. And a MUCH better FT shooter. +1 in my book.

I've avoided commenting on this post until now, but do have to add one thing- you will be hard pressed to find any player, anywhere, in the history of basketball- who averaged 7 rebounds a game, coming off the bench. And then, add to that, the massive level jump of competition into the B1G.

FP2 and I agree on ...well....nothing...but on this topic, yes, let's be realistic about expectations. Durr's addition should help this team shore up the inside quite well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If we can get 6/4 from him next season that would be solid. Basically replacing Brunk's numbers with someone who can actually jump and contest shots. And a MUCH better FT shooter. +1 in my book.
I also look at it this way. If he’s not starting then who is at the 5? I thought both race and Trayce are expected to move to the 4? I know they could play at the 5 some but I’m assuming Durr was brought in to play the 5. If he’s coming off the bench then it means trayce will be stuck in the post. I’m ok with that but that’s not what has been implied.

I said general vicinity, Durr averaging something like 7 and 5 wouldn't shock me. He's a good FT shooter, rebounds and cleans up well around the rim.

You said role players off the bench don't avg 8 and 6 in 15 mpg as if it was absolute certainty. Once again you were wrong.
I said 8 and 6. You give me one case of 8 and 4. Big difference. 50% more to be exact. Catch up.

I also look at it this way. If he’s not starting then who is at the 5? I thought both race and Trayce are expected to move to the 4? I know they could play at the 5 some but I’m assuming Durr was brought in to play the 5. If he’s coming off the bench then it means trayce will be stuck in the post. I’m ok with that but that’s not what has been implied.
I think a lot of it will be situational. Race/Trayce or either of them with Durr can float between the positions. The thing that will make TJD most attractive is flexibility to play and defend both in the post and on the floor. So he and Race just have to learn and play both roles.

Anyone predicting over 5 points and 3 rebounds a game must think he’s going to start. I hope he does. Role players off the bench don’t average 8 and 6 in 15 mpg.
I got, role player, less than 15 min per game, 5 & 4 average. Who knows? Besides TJD, I have no idea how minutes are going to be distributed. Haven't seen many of these guys play in a game.

Reactions: kkott
Edey averaged 9 and 5 in 15 minutes last year. I think Durr will play somewhere around 15-20 min per game next year and be in that general vicinity.
Haas was 7 + 4 as a freshman and 10 + 4 as a sophomore in under 15mpg too. It can be done but play style plays a big role

There is no post in a 4/1 ... the big is on the weak side in the dunker spot or on top screening rolling or popping. So TJD will not be stuck anywhere.

Durr was brought in to backup TJD/RT and to give us a big body for needed matchups. Maybe he'll start in the following season.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
There is no post in a 4/1 ... the big is on the weak side in the dunker spot or on top screening rolling or popping.

Durr was brought in to backup TJD.
Gotcha. I’m still learning how that offense works. I was just under the assumption they would play different positions.

hate to dig on a guy after he's out of the biz...and maybe Burr was a decent ref earlier in his career...but I couldn't stand how he called games. I cringed when they mentioned his name at the start of a game, more so than TV Ted.
Ha...everyone has their favorite to rip on. TV Ted was/is my least favorite. Burr just seemed like an angry old man. The Soviet game is one of those mistold legends of Knight that will always be incorrectly remembered.

Ha...everyone has their favorite to rip on. TV Ted was/is my least favorite. Burr just seemed like an angry old man. The Soviet game is one of those mistold legends of Knight that will always be incorrectly remembered.
You mean the game where RMK "pulled his team off the court"? Yep history has been rewritten in the eyes of many.

Burr- angry old man. Good description.

And don't get me wrong....Ted V was/is an arrogant jag. I still find it interesting (and many people don't even know this) but he was one of the 3 calling the IU/UK Watshot game. The game was so big that it swallowed Ted whole. Or maybe he took his meds before the game. Strange how he just blended into the scenery that day and didn't find chances to steal the stage.

Shiny objects lying on the ground fascinate you.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
You mean the game where RMK "pulled his team off the court"? Yep history has been rewritten in the eyes of many.

Burr- angry old man. Good description.

And don't get me wrong....Ted V was/is an arrogant jag. I still find it interesting (and many people don't even know this) but he was one of the 3 calling the IU/UK Watshot game. The game was so big that it swallowed Ted whole. Or maybe he took his meds before the game. Strange how he just blended into the scenery that day and didn't find chances to steal the stage.
The Soviet forfeit was misreported from the very beginning so I don't blame others for not knowing what actually transpired. I was sitting right behind the bench/table and could hear the discussion. I had a local radio host challenge me on this and he even brought in a former player that was on the floor who really didn't understand what transpired. Ultimately the result was the same, but BK did not "pull the team off of the floor"

The Soviet forfeit was misreported from the very beginning so I don't blame others for not knowing what actually transpired. I was sitting right behind the bench/table and could hear the discussion. I had a local radio host challenge me on this and he even brought in a former player that was on the floor who really didn't understand what transpired. Ultimately the result was the same, but BK did not "pull the team off of the floor"
I think that might have been Oaken Bucket Saturday that year and the IU/USSR exhibition game was later in the day after football...was a wild day and evening.

I think that might have been Oaken Bucket Saturday that year and the IU/USSR exhibition game was later in the day after football...was a wild day and evening.
It was. A day I'll never forget; even though several portions are quite fuzzy from that day! We took a bus trip arranged by our neighborhood bar up around Castleton to the game. Think it was like $40 and included bloodies/screwdrivers and donuts beforehand and kegs on the bus, plus the trip and game ticket. Then we loaded up on whatever we could sneak in the game. I saw my cousin, a PU grad during the game and couldn't remember his wifes name (yeah, the one with the big tatas!). Headed to a party afterward as we had arranged for rides back the next day. I was so drunk, I decided I was hitchhiking home since the party wasn't far from Walnut St/37 (I lived near 37 on Indy's southside and did this several times), and I guess I started walking. Woke up around 6:00 pm in a stand of trees just short of Walnut and it was dark and I was freezing! I stumbled down the hillside and sat on/near a light for a billboard to warm up. Once I was finally ready to hitchhike, literally the first car picked me up and it was a guy who'd gone to Brown County high with a friend and he took me to my door. Walked inside, shucked my leaf covered clothes on the floor, hopped in bed, flipped on the TV to the mayhem as IU departed the floor. Just couldn't get my brain around what was happening in the game and had no context for what went before, so I assumed I was still too drunk and went to sleep only to read what happened in the Star the next day. The end!

It was. A day I'll never forget; even though several portions are quite fuzzy from that day! We took a bus trip arranged by our neighborhood bar up around Castleton to the game. Think it was like $40 and included bloodies/screwdrivers and donuts beforehand and kegs on the bus, plus the trip and game ticket. Then we loaded up on whatever we could sneak in the game. I saw my cousin, a PU grad during the game and couldn't remember his wifes name (yeah, the one with the big tatas!). Headed to a party afterward as we had arranged for rides back the next day. I was so drunk, I decided I was hitchhiking home since the party wasn't far from Walnut St/37 (I lived near 37 on Indy's southside and did this several times), and I guess I started walking. Woke up around 6:00 pm in a stand of trees just short of Walnut and it was dark and I was freezing! I stumbled down the hillside and sat on/near a light for a billboard to warm up. Once I was finally ready to hitchhike, literally the first car picked me up and it was a guy who'd gone to Brown County high with a friend and he took me to my door. Walked inside, shucked my leaf covered clothes on the floor, hopped in bed, flipped on the TV to the mayhem as IU departed the floor. Just couldn't get my brain around what was happening in the game and had no context for what went before, so I assumed I was still too drunk and went to sleep only to read what happened in the Star the next day. The end!
You cannot talk about "big tatas" without pics in a 2 piece.

classic story. lucky you lived through that day. I spent most of the evening/night totally blitzed in Varsity Villas. Funny though, I too remember that it was damn cold that day. Kinda numbed to the cold as the evening wore on. Oh, to be young again, even for a day.

btw...donuts with booze?? Ouch. that never ends well.

classic story. lucky you lived through that day. I spent most of the evening/night totally blitzed in Varsity Villas. Funny though, I too remember that it was damn cold that day. Kinda numbed to the cold as the evening wore on. Oh, to be young again, even for a day.

I actually have often thought I could have died out there had I not woken up. It was COLD! Don't think I chucked, but I'm not certain of that! I think the party we went to after the game was in VV, but I'm not sure. The game, esp from halftime on, until I woke up is pretty much erased from memory. On the trip down they did a roulette wheel on the front bus tire and I think entries were $5 and one of my friends won a 5th of Jack... so there was that too. That's another day I feel lucky to have survived.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

There weren’t permanent lights at the stadium in the mid to late 80s when I was there. We regularly had screwdrivers and donuts for the pregame party starting about 8am.

There weren’t permanent lights at the stadium in the mid to late 80s when I was there. We regularly had screwdrivers and donuts for the pregame party starting about 8am.
just thinking how I am today....if I started at 8am with vodka and donuts, I wouldn't make it to noon. But I also couldn't handle the 3am pit stops at Taco Bell like I could back then.

I lived in Dunhill sophomore year. Loved it. Can totally relate to vodka and whatever at 8am. Our appt was game central because address is everything and ours was killer. Always had people over on game days (hoops and Football) if we wanted them or not. Massive grin!
Today I'd take a bloody at 8am but you can keep the donuts. Too much sugar for an old man. VBG. Oh the memories. Love this board. Excellent for an out of state guy to stay connected. Go Hoosiers!

I hear defense is his specialty.
You backed into the answer. Whatever he scores will be fine with me as long as he is strong with the ball whenever he gets an opportunity. His more important role is to come into the game and rebound and defend the post. I don't see him getting a large number of shots, but he needs to defend every possession.

ADVERTISEMENT