ADVERTISEMENT

Mental health

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
I'm starting to see cracks in some people in my life... attempting to operate in the new normal of general social isolation. I worry that mental health issues will be a growing problem in coming months. The novelty of the situation has worn off. And the feelings of dread.... looking at keeping even soft protocols in place for months/ year+ are starting to set in.

Some recent studies out that social isolation can actually kill you..... increased morbidity risk by loneliness, alone. This a serious concern for seniors, in particular. But I'd see it popping up in many other groups, as this continues.

I'm starting to see cracks in some people in my life... attempting to operate in the new normal of general social isolation. I worry that mental health issues will be a growing problem in coming months. The novelty of the situation has worn off. And the feelings of dread.... looking at keeping even soft protocols in place for months/ year+ are starting to set in.

Some recent studies out that social isolation can actually kill you..... increased morbidity risk by loneliness, alone. This a serious concern for seniors, in particular. But I'd see it popping up in many other groups, as this continues.
I'm very concerned about this. I'm the only person Mama Goat gets to interact with on a face-to-face basis, and I can see it wearing on her. She could spend all day on the phone with her mom, her best friend, my sister, her brother, whatever, and she'd still be lonely. But the alternative is an old disabled woman with several Covid co-morbidities walking around in public with people who are way too Freedom Loving to wear face masks or stay six feet away from others. So I'm not sure what the alternative is.

For sure. Kids are really beginning to struggle as well. They thrive on routine and the social connections with their peers and teachers. Having them isolated is taking a toll.

For sure. Kids are really beginning to struggle as well. They thrive on routine and the social connections with their peers and teachers. Having them isolated is taking a toll.

Kids are struggling. Young adults likely even more. Read this piece on this year's college grads, which is rather depressing. Typically in bad economies you could still work service level jobs and get by until things got better. This situation flips that on its head. I worry a lot about social stability

https://time.com/5839765/college-graduation-2020/

The cracks are visible here daily.

Reactions: IUINSB
The only thing that matters is preventing people from getting coronavirus.

every other economic and health disaster that happen as a result of that prevention must be tolerated

Exactly. I know of several examples too. Part of what burns my butt about this is that those who are making the decisions are in financial and social safe harbors while they call the shutdowns an “inconvenience”.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The only thing that matters is preventing people from getting coronavirus.

every other economic and health disaster that happen as a result of that prevention must be tolerated

It’s not an either or. We can do a lot of simple social things with elderly people who now have no contact. Most officials are only tuned in to issuing rules and enforcement.

Exactly. I know of several examples too. Part of what burns my butt about this is that those who are making the decisions are in financial and social safe harbors while they call the shutdowns an “inconvenience”.
Exactly. The neighborhood that’s the heart of our city here has more than half of the restaurants permanently out of business. This was completely unnecessary. DOJ sent warning letters to Los Angeles and Illinois. Everything is going to open under the same conditions with the virus as it was closed. Locking things down now is purely political imo.

I have actually taken sleeping pills just to get through the days. I’m not about to jump out the window, but I am missing baseball, keeping track of Bears training camp and just hanging ot at outdoor restaurants, which open on Labor Day weekend, AKA Easter!

I need a nice Mezcal margarita or three on an outdoor patio.

I have actually taken sleeping pills just to get through the days. I’m not about to jump out the window, but I am missing baseball, keeping track of Bears training camp and just hanging ot at outdoor restaurants, which open on Labor Day weekend, AKA Easter!

Exercise the feck out of your system. Enjoy the endorphins. Having said that I had a bike crash last Friday. Body is battered like after a bruising rugby match but a lot older!

Well, I've got to be honest...the wife and I live downtown Indy, and we had dinner at the Rathskeller last night. Mass. Avenue is closed, so there is only foot traffic. I thought there would be no way to get in, but we called at 5:00, asked for a reservation at 7:30, and there was no problem. I thought they would laugh us off the phone, but they sounded like we had our pick of times.

The beer garden at the Rathskeller is our favorite summer hangout, and it's huge. The picnic tables they had set up were at least 20 feet apart. Nothing on the tables, paper menus, plastic cups, paper plates, waiters with masks. At no time did I feel crowded in the least. I told my wife that the minute I felt my bubble infringed, we would leave. The Rathskeller did a great job of implementing safety precautions. Even at 1/2 capacity, there were open tables.

Walking to and from the restaurant wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought. I was worried it would be like a street fair, and that's the main reason we opted for the fairly protected shelter of the beer garden, as opposed to dining on makeshift tables on the street, where there would be a constant stream of walkers. Once again, I said that I wouldn't attempt it if it was like a street fair, and, while there were many people, we never came within 10 feet of anyone, nor did we have to as we walked. I did see some large groups, but just being to two of us, we could easily avoid crowds.

I certainly won't make that a habit yet, but curiosity got the better of me. I really wanted to see what the current normal was going to be. I was fully ready to walk back to our place if I felt apprehensive, and I'm a pretty cautious guy.

BTW, other than workers, I saw very few masks. We wore them as we walked both ways, but not as we sat at the restaurant. Had too much beer to drink.

I worry that mental health issues will be a growing problem in coming months. The novelty of the situation has worn off. And the feelings of dread.... looking at keeping even soft protocols in place for months/ year+ are starting to set in.
A lot of people are now getting a taste of what it's like to live on the margins. Never knowing what could happen next. Wondering if this will ever end. Hoping that tomorrow will be better than today, but doubting it will. The degree and detail may be different, but the constant anxiety, the dread, the resignation, the loss of hope, the having to be on constant alert, the fear of the unknown; those are things the disadvantaged know all too well.

We have been praying for this exact thing in church.
Now we are having our service in the church parking lot to stay safe so don't yell at me. We wear masks too. But I don't when I preach because people are very far away from me.
Some people handle change better than others. Those who are personable and,"touchy" are having a difficult time. Giancarlo Esposito, an actor said on a video that he misses hugging people. This is an example of what I am talking about.
Those who dislike people and have very few friends are probably doing better. So if one was a hermit then they wear a mask in the grocery store and it is not that big of a deal.
You can tell that some of the Hollywood types are having a problem. They miss being in the limelight and look quite nervous etc. Now there are those types who are doing some great things. I am enjoying Jim Gaffigan's humor while he is quarantined with his five children and wife in NYC. Jim's wife had a tumor removed several years ago so she is one of those if she got the disease might have real problems. They have dinner together every night and you can watch them live. He has this other show called, "Let's Get Cookin". It is quirky and funny. John Krasinski is doing a news program from his home where he shows all the good news that is happening today. Folks like Jim and John are trying to encourage us during this time. I appreciate them.

Reactions: glmiu11

I'd watch Titans and Jags if it was on tonight. I'm desperate

Who needs government and the rest of the media when we have Glenn Beck and The Blaze?
I don't base conclusions on the Blaze. I do know where Beck stands, and that definitely isn't pretending to be unbiased, like others. It's just another spice to flavor the stew, hoot.

I don't base conclusions on the Blaze. I do know where Beck stands, and that definitely isn't pretending to be unbiased, like others. It's just another spice to flavor the stew, hoot.
Do you think that the people on MSNBC pretend to be unbiased or are they straight up liberal/progressive? The reason why I ask this is to make the point that everybody is biased depending on what they believe. I am a conservative small government type. I am pro Constitution as it was originally intended to be. In my view our country would be better off if we got back to the Constitution as originally intended instead of people who call it a, "living document". The Constitution spells out what government can't do to us. They can't take away our rights given to us by God. The Constitution says we have the right to self govern instead of being governed to the point where our rights of freedom are taken away from us.

That was foreseeable, as were the more obvious economic consequences. Weigh that against the number of lives lost had we not shut things down and get back with me.
Disagree here Mark. I think this thing was poorly managed by state governors, health directors, the task force, the media, pelosi, deblasio, cuomo, desantis, mayor of no and trump. This thing could have been “controlled” by isolating regions, isolating nursing homes, clear messages about masks from the advent, sanitizing etc. 80 percent of the country could have remained open. That our economy is trashed is pure malfeasance.

Reactions: IUJIM and bawlmer
Do you think that the people on MSNBC pretend to be unbiased or are they straight up liberal/progressive? The reason why I ask this is to make the point that everybody is biased depending on what they believe. I am a conservative small government type. I am pro Constitution as it was originally intended to be. In my view our country would be better off if we got back to the Constitution as originally intended instead of people who call it a, "living document". The Constitution spells out what government can't do to us. They can't take away our rights given to us by God. The Constitution says we have the right to self govern instead of being governed to the point where our rights of freedom are taken away from us.

Van, given the pandemic, would the founders have relied on federalism with state and local governments establishing safe procedures for the people, or would they simply have allowed each citizen to decide for themselves? Or would they have been in disagreement on which course to follow?

Reactions: sglowrider
Well, I've got to be honest...the wife and I live downtown Indy, and we had dinner at the Rathskeller last night. Mass. Avenue is closed, so there is only foot traffic. I thought there would be no way to get in, but we called at 5:00, asked for a reservation at 7:30, and there was no problem. I thought they would laugh us off the phone, but they sounded like we had our pick of times.

The beer garden at the Rathskeller is our favorite summer hangout, and it's huge. The picnic tables they had set up were at least 20 feet apart. Nothing on the tables, paper menus, plastic cups, paper plates, waiters with masks. At no time did I feel crowded in the least. I told my wife that the minute I felt my bubble infringed, we would leave. The Rathskeller did a great job of implementing safety precautions. Even at 1/2 capacity, there were open tables.

Walking to and from the restaurant wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought. I was worried it would be like a street fair, and that's the main reason we opted for the fairly protected shelter of the beer garden, as opposed to dining on makeshift tables on the street, where there would be a constant stream of walkers. Once again, I said that I wouldn't attempt it if it was like a street fair, and, while there were many people, we never came within 10 feet of anyone, nor did we have to as we walked. I did see some large groups, but just being to two of us, we could easily avoid crowds.

I certainly won't make that a habit yet, but curiosity got the better of me. I really wanted to see what the current normal was going to be. I was fully ready to walk back to our place if I felt apprehensive, and I'm a pretty cautious guy.

BTW, other than workers, I saw very few masks. We wore them as we walked both ways, but not as we sat at the restaurant. Had too much beer to drink.

Husband and I live near Broad Ripple and we've been thinking about going to the strip just to see what it's like. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately this reminds me of Y2K. An initiative that's just trying to protect people that gets lampooned and bitched about because it caused some inconvenience.

It worked and in hindsight still gets ridiculed, even though it worked.

I understand that people are not soldiers so asking them to be mentally strong for something that they aren't bought into is an impossible task.

I also understand that most personality tests have identified four types of people in how they get their energy, how they solve problems and how it's best to communicate. Mainly internal/external processing along with some kind of individual/groupthink (damnit, I can't remember the label). So you tend to get 4 groups.

1. External processor but self energized. These are your A types, they want to lead, express their opinions and are basically focused on what will get them what they need, so they tend to be selfish pricks. At dinner they eat quickly and engage if needed but basically it's a bother because they have shit to do.

2. External processor but group energized. These are the salesmen, the party people. They feed off the energy around them and are the group that a shutdown really messes with them. They love people and going to big, crowded events. The bad side is these people tend to be the cheaters, liers and crazy emotional, filled with drama that you swear they crave it. At dinner they eat slowly to enjoy the variety of food, take in the ambiance. They like to test wines and prefer to have a big group of people around them making it a social event.

3. Internal processor self energized. These are your loners, data freaks, they are motivated by internal energy. They get stressed when there is a lack of a process. They are the ones who will freak out at you changing something, will need to go back to their cave to figure it out, will come to a solution and then be fine. The downside with these people is they tend to get annoyed with people tend to alienate themselves. At dinner they eat their food linerally (salad then steak then potato).

4. Internal processor group energized. These are your empths. The people that we dump all of our emotional baggage on. They are the listeners, the observers. They aren't big drivers as they process things internally. What separates them from the other internal guys (the IT data heads) is that they are very aware of the people around them and how they are feeling. At dinner they are quiet and enjoy watching people at the table and listening to their stories.

So that being said. The 1st group is annoyed because it's slowing them down for what they are trying to achieve, unless it helps them (like it increases their market share) then they love it.

The second group is devastated with being isolated. They feel cut off, are outwardly emotional about it.

The third group has to understand the logic of it and if it makes sense, they are fine and have probably already adjusted their daily process to the new normal.

The fourth group is fine with it but worry about the mental health of others.

Anyway, back to my original point, unfortunately we're going to have to have this hit home with many as it's going to be harder to justify a lock down for many (unfortunately) without a shocking reminder. Like Tom Hanks or Trump dies from it. I actually thought Boris Johnson was going to be that reminder but he pulled through.

It's just how we are wired, unfortunately.

Unfortunately this reminds me of Y2K. An initiative that's just trying to protect people that gets lampooned and bitched about because it caused some inconvenience.

I understand that people are not soldiers so asking them to be mentally strong for something that they aren't bought into is an impossible task.

I also understand that most personality tests have identified four types of people in how they get their energy, how they solve problems and how it's best to communicate. Mainly internal/external processing along with some kind of individual/groupthink (damnit, I can't remember the label). So you tend to get 4 groups.

1. External processor but self energized. These are your A types, they want to lead, express their opinions and are basically focused on what will get them what they need, so they tend to be selfish pricks. At dinner they eat quickly and engage if needed but basically it's a bother because they have shit to do.

2. External processor but group energized. These are the salesmen, the party people. They feed off the energy around them and are the group that a shutdown really messes with them. They love people and going to big, crowded events. The bad side is these people tend to be the cheaters, liers and crazy emotional, filled with drama that you swear they crave it. At dinner they eat slowly to enjoy the variety of food, take in the ambiance. They like to test wines and prefer to have a big group of people around them making it a social event.

3. Internal processor self energized. These are your loners, data freaks, they are motivated by internal energy. They get stressed when there is a lack of a process. They are the ones who will freak out at you changing something, will need to go back to their cave to figure it out, will come to a solution and then be fine. The downside with these people is they tend to get annoyed with people tend to alienate themselves. At dinner they eat their food linerally (salad then steak then potato).

4. Internal processor group energized. These are your empths. The people that we dump all of our emotional baggage on. They are the listeners, the observers. They aren't big drivers as they process things internally. What separates them from the other internal guys (the IT data heads) is that they are very aware of the people around them and how they are feeling. At dinner they are quiet and enjoy watching people at the table and listening to their stories.

So that being said. The 1st group is annoyed because it's slowing them down for what they are trying to achieve, unless it helps them (like it increases their market share) then they love it.

The second group is devastated with being isolated. They feel cut off, are outwardly emotional about it.

The third group has to understand the logic of it and if it makes sense, they are fine and have probably already adjusted their daily process to the new normal.

Anyway, back to my original point, unfortunately we're going to have to have this hit home with many as it's going to be harder to justify a lock down for many (unfortunately) without a shocking reminder. Like Tom Hanks or Trump dies from it. I actually thought Boris Johnson was going to be that reminder but he pulled through.

I stopped reading once you said that this “inconvenienced” people.

ya all those millions filing for unemployment are merely being inconvenienced, what’s their big problem?

I stopped reading once you said that this “inconvenienced” people.

ya all those millions filing for unemployment are merely being inconvenienced, what’s their big problem?

That's exactly what an inconvenience is. When people are laid off because a company missed a quarter by 1%, are you crying about unfair market conditions or about the pay gap or the value of the worker who now has to figure out how to feed a family of four?

I'm betting you just say sorry man, that's how capitalism works.

I believe 99 out of 100 would chose to hunker down, rebudget and get through a pandemic then have to spend ten days on a ventilator, inncur thousands and thousands of racked up medical bills and have their life 'inconvienenced' for the rest of their lives.

The govt is trying to save people, even the stupid ones.

When offered the two choices...which one are you picking? My guess is health.

However until this virus hits home I understand that it's difficult for people to understand the risks so yeah, **** it, open up and see what happens right?

I'm totally #3

Reactions: TommyCracker

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Then you combine this with the life's passages (identity, community and then purpose) and the internalisation and the externalisation of that. That will explain half the behaviour and drivers of the folks out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
How are you with the subsequent amendments to it such as: women having the right to vote, the abolishment of slavery, etc.

I'm totally #3

Mw too.

When I was in corporate I always came up as I instead of E like 90% of my teams (internal VS external).

Probably why the lock down doesn't bother me. I understand why, I've adjusted and believe it's a short term issue (short term meaning 6 months to 18 months... I can chill for that).

Reactions: Neves
Mw too.

When I was in corporate I always came up as I instead of E like 90% of my teams (internal VS external).

Probably why the lock down doesn't bother me. I understand why, I've adjusted and believe it's a short term issue (short term meaning 6 months to 18 months... I can chill for that).

Do companies even bother testing people for personality types versus job nowadays? Its pretty obvious to me otherwise its just round pegs, square holes scenario and therefore not optimising the position nor the candidate.

Van, given the pandemic, would the founders have relied on federalism with state and local governments establishing safe procedures for the people, or would they simply have allowed each citizen to decide for themselves? Or would they have been in disagreement on which course to follow?

giphy.gif

I am pro Constitution as it was originally intended to be. In my view our country would be better off if we got back to the Constitution as originally intended instead of people who call it a, "living document". The Constitution spells out what government can't do to us. They can't take away our rights given to us by God.
The Constitution "as originally intended" created a confederation of sovereign states, allowing for the common defense, regulated commerce, a unified diplomacy, an acquiescence to the institution of slavery, and not much more. None of the rights protected by the Bill of Rights were guaranteed -- the states were free to limit speech, establish state religions, control the press, regulate arms, restrict voting to the privileged few, etc. It was far from the golden age of freedom and liberty so many like to fantasize about.

getting tired of these non stop lies, (does your religion encourage lying), that MSNBC or CNN are liberal or progressive.

positioning MSNBC/Comcast and AT&T/CNN as liberal or progressive on anything other than socially, is the one universal propaganda lie pushed by all corporate media.

they don't have an economically progressive bone in their corporate bodies, and never will.

they are both only liberal or progressive on social matters, but very conservative on everything economic, and economic is what it's all about right now. (good luck finding any corporate media that's liberal on economic matters. "corporate" and economically liberal don't mix).

as for "the Constitution as it was originally intended to be", i'll assume then that you're pro slavery, and only white male landholders being able to vote. (which i'm guessing would eliminate your vote).

Do companies even bother testing people for personality types versus job nowadays? Its pretty obvious to me otherwise its just round pegs, square holes scenario and therefore not optimising the position nor the candidate.

I worked in merchandising/marketing for three major companies (Target, Advanced Auto Parts and GE) and it was common to have your team/pod/sector all take a firm of them so you understood who you were working with better.

Target is absolutely amazing at it. They are huge into the 'soar with your strengths', 'getting to yes' models.

Advanced and GE were more old school, get results anyway you can stop with the stupid koom bye ya huggy feely stuff environment.

It didn't bother me either way but I grew and learned much more from Target.

ADVERTISEMENT