ADVERTISEMENT

Melania Trump plagarizes 2008 Michelle Obama DNC speech

Goat, I believe your position is blatantly correct. And thus I don't accept the pastor's position. That said, isn't questioning his qualification as a pastor the very definition of an ad hominem?

I am just hoping we all get better on the concept a person's idea is wrong, but that doesn't mean the person is (bad/evil/horrible/whatever).
No, it's not an ad hominem. It is a personal attack, but it's not an ad hominem (they are not the same thing).

I can't even begin to count the number of people who have accused me of being a bad lawyer (or any other number of lawyers here, to be honest, on both sides), so I don't feel that bad about it. I think VPM is a terrible Christian, and I think his posting justifies that criticism.

Reactions: dahldc
There's no reason it had to be his first act -- or even remotely close to it. Hell, he could make it his last act.

And are you suggesting that presidents direct prosecutions? For shame!

No, it's obvious why it wasn't prosecuted. You may not want to consider the prospect. But think about it for a minute. Do you really think we're about to tie our own hands like that? If so, then you're being naive.
Crazed, if it is all about effectiveness why do we tie our hands and not do what you would consider real torture? If someone is plotting a real attack against the US, aren't some pulled fingernails fairly minor?

And even if one believes on waterboard isn't torture, is 80? I am thinking no one has volunteered for that.

Crazed, if it is all about effectiveness why do we tie our hands and not do what you would consider real torture?

I never said there wasn't a line we wouldn't cross. I just said that waterboarding wasn't across it. And it clearly wasn't.

If someone is plotting a real attack against the US, aren't some pulled fingernails fairly minor?

No - plying out fingernails would never be a relatively minor thing like waterboarding.

And even if one believes on waterboard isn't torture, is 80? I am thinking no one has volunteered for that.

If it's not torture, then the count doesn't really matter. Pulling out 10 fingernails is torture. So is pulling out just 1.

I never said there wasn't a line we wouldn't cross. I just said that waterboarding wasn't across it. And it clearly wasn't.

No - plying out fingernails would never be a relatively minor thing like waterboarding.

If it's not torture, then the count doesn't really matter. Pulling out 10 fingernails is torture. So is pulling out just 1.
And so is waterboarding.

Do you really think that Obama's first acts of a presidency are going to be to alienate agents and a military that have basically been following orders?

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the people who actually administered the waterboarding were neither uniformed military nor CIA agents.

They were a pair of private contractors from Washington State. So I don't think prosecuting them would've alienated any agents or military people.

Moreover, the CIA guy Rodriguez was found to have destroyed tapes of some interrogations -- and on orders, too. He, also, was not prosecuted for this.

They're just different chapters in the same book. And to me, it's kind of absurd to say "On the field of battle, we'll try to blow you and everybody else around you to bits. But if we capture you alive, we won't even so much as pour water over your head to get vital information out of you."

Not that this is the sort of thing that should be decided by popular will. And not that I consider something as relatively mild as waterboarding to qualify as torture. But I remember seeing a poll not long ago where about 65% of respondents said it was OK to either regularly or sometimes employ torture to gather intelligence. And the poll even used that actual term -- generically.

Heck, even I probably would've answered no to that specific question -- but only because I don't think waterboarding amounts to torture.
It's just cute that tough guys like a pediatric neurosurgeon, a failed tech CEO, the former governor of the worst state in the country, and now you all think that waterboarding is A-ok because it's become another ideological conservative fact-less feel-good way of thinking that it yields results.

And to defend it because people "volunteer" for it during elite military training? Really? Where are you on beating the shit out of prisoners? Boxers sign up to get the shit beaten out of them...does that mean beating isn't torture? And what's with your acid bath fascination?

It's just cute that tough guys like a pediatric neurosurgeon, a failed tech CEO, the former governor of the worst state in the country, and now you all think that waterboarding is A-ok because it's become another ideological conservative fact-less feel-good way of thinking that it yields results.

Well, first, lots of people support it. Sixty-three percent (including a majority of Democrats) said that they supported its use to some extent.

Second, if you'd scroll back through my posts, you'd see that my support for it really only extends as far as our intelligence pros thinks it's effective. If they don't, then of course I wouldn't push for it.

Third, Panetta did acknowledge that it yielded results. He wasn't specific -- but did concede that some of the intel used to locate Bin Laden was gleaned from EIT.

And to defend it because people "volunteer" for it during elite military training? Really?

Yes, really. And I'm not saying that to defend it -- just to distinguish it from actual torture.

And it isn't just SERE training where people volunteer to undergo waterboarding. Chris Hitchens even agreed to do it (ironically, to prove that it was torture...for me it had the opposite effect).

Where are you on beating the shit out of prisoners? Boxers sign up to get the shit beaten out of them...does that mean beating isn't torture?

Um, boxers can fight back. I suspect that prisoners who get beaten are wearing handcuffs, not boxing gloves. And I've never heard of anybody volunteering to sit bound, gagged, and blindfolded while somebody beats their head in.

And what's with your acid bath fascination?

Fascination? No fascination. I just use that because it's something everybody would agree is torture -- and nobody would agree to try out...for training, to prove a point, or otherwise.

No sane person would agree to try out torture. If a sane person does agree to try something out, it's not torture in my book. If you have a different standard, that's your prerogative.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
As I've said before, if the tables were turned and Republicans nominated a conventional Republican presidential candidate and Democrats nominated a charlatan like Trump, I'm pretty confident that most Dems would vote for the charlatan
And most Democrats are doing exactly as you suggest......except they have nominated a charlatan(a person who pretends or claims to have more knowledge or skill than he or she possesses; quack) and will vote for her.

Reactions: Ladoga
They're just different chapters in the same book. And to me, it's kind of absurd to say "On the field of battle, we'll try to blow you and everybody else around you to bits. But if we capture you alive, we won't even so much as pour water over your head to get vital information out of you."

Not that this is the sort of thing that should be decided by popular will. And not that I consider something as relatively mild as waterboarding to qualify as torture. But I remember seeing a poll not long ago where about 65% of respondents said it was OK to either regularly or sometimes employ torture to gather intelligence. And the poll even used that actual term -- generically.

Heck, even I probably would've answered no to that specific question -- but only because I don't think waterboarding amounts to torture.

Do you actually know what water boarding is? It appears you do not. It simulates drowning.

That doesn't even fit your definition of torture. It's ine thing to do it under controlled circumstances where you know your life isn't in danger. It's quite another to have a hostile party doing it, where every breath could be your last. HUGE difference. In one scenario, you KNOW you can stop it at any time. And you'll live.

In their other, you're dead at any moment. And psychological torture can be just as bad as physical torture. This type of treatment encapsulates both.

I don't think you're thinking this through all the way.

No pastor. As usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If anyone should understand "taking the high ground" and principle- it should be a pastor. Sometimes you don't do things- because it's just plain wrong to do it.

Sadly, it appears he doesn't understand either one.

Put another way, if pastors don't engage in absolutes (and instead choose situational ethics), what foundation do they stand upon when they preach? Where are the lines???

Put yet another way, I'm pretty GD sure that Jesus wouldn't approve of torture- in any form. Or Mobammed. Or Buddha. Or (insert your religious entity here).

His entire argument badically rests on the premise that it's ok to do it- because it serves OUR purposes. Not those of a higher spiritual plane. Basic human decency demands that one does not torture.

Doesn't it?

This line of thinking has created the whole next wave of future terrorists. I'd hate us too, if someone did the things we've done to them. And I'm talking mostly about drone strikes that kill completely innocent people here (another subject, I know). The point is, we did that because it served our purposes, rather than ensuring that we did right by basic human norms.

How is that going to work out for us?

I think it's clear what I'm talking about, if you pay attention and read a little more carefully.

Generally speaking, conservatives are the ones that are most likely to support socially-constructed moral codes. Not personal moral codes. Socially-constructed ones. On this issue, the trend is reversed. The liberals appeal to the generally accepted code, and you - the conservative - keep repeating that it doesn't conflict with your own personal code. You're proving my point even while you fail to understand it.

If you mean traditional socially constructed moral codes, then sure, conservatives are probably more interested in supporting them. I think you are seeing and will continue to see that change as societal norms move away from the traditional.

If anyone should understand "taking the high ground" and principle- it should be a pastor. Sometimes you don't do things- because it's just plain wrong to do it.

Sadly, it appears he doesn't understand either one.

Put another way, if pastors don't engage in absolutes (and instead choose situational ethics), what foundation do they stand upon when they preach? Where are the lines???

Put yet another way, I'm pretty GD sure that Jesus wouldn't approve of torture- in any form. Or Mobammed. Or Buddha. Or (insert your religious entity here).

His entire argument badically rests on the premise that it's ok to do it- because it serves OUR purposes. Not those of a higher spiritual plane. Basic human decency demands that one does not torture.

Doesn't it?

This line of thinking has created the whole next wave of future terrorists. I'd hate us too, if someone did the things we've done to them. And I'm talking mostly about drone strikes that kill completely innocent people here (another subject, I know). The point is, we did that because it served our purposes, rather than ensuring that we did right by basic human norms.

How is that going to work out for us?
How about this, They quit cutting off people's Heads and we quit water boarding. Sound like a fair trade?

Do you actually know what water boarding is? It appears you do not. It simulates drowning.

That doesn't even fit your definition of torture. It's ine thing to do it under controlled circumstances where you know your life isn't in danger. It's quite another to have a hostile party doing it, where every breath could be your last. HUGE difference. In one scenario, you KNOW you can stop it at any time. And you'll live.

In their other, you're dead at any moment. And psychological torture can be just as bad as physical torture. This type of treatment encapsulates both.

I don't think you're thinking this through all the way.

Wiede, I'm fully aware of what waterboarding is. I just don't have a problem with our interrogators using it in a controlled manner if it's an effective and necessary method of getting enemy combatants to spill their beans.

If there are equally effective, but less harsh, ways of getting critical info out of them, then that's great...we should try those first.

It's not that I always believe the ends justify the means -- because I don't. But those particular ends weighed against those particular means....yeah, I do.

Seeing as how that represents a pretty strong majority opinion in the country, I don't know why that shocks your senses so badly.

Wiede, I'm fully aware of what waterboarding is.
Then why your fully disingenuous mischaracterization of it as "pour[ing] water over their head"
But to pour water over their head in a totally controlled and safe environment? Quelle horreur!!!
Not easy to catch you in a lie, Crazed, but not impossible.

Pouring water over someone's head, nah, you're right, Crazed. That's not torture. Pouring it into their nose and throat, that's an entirely different ball of wax.

Waterboarding, also called water torture, simulated drowning, interrupted drowning, and controlled drowning, method of torture in which water is poured into the nose and mouth of a victim who lies on his back on an inclined platform, with his feet above his head.​

Wiede, I'm fully aware of what waterboarding is. I just don't have a problem with our interrogators using it in a controlled manner if it's an effective and necessary method of getting enemy combatants to spill their beans.

If there are equally effective, but less harsh, ways of getting critical info out of them, then that's great...we should try those first.

It's not that I always believe the ends justify the means -- because I don't. But those particular ends weighed against those particular means....yeah, I do.

Seeing as how that represents a pretty strong majority opinion in the country, I don't know why that shocks your senses so badly.

We'll agree to disagree. And that's fine.

I just can't see it as anything other than torture. It's terrifying and dangerous when you are be one being water boarded by a hostile enemy. Far from something you could volunteer to have done to yourself, and come out unscathed.

Put another way, I'd think if you were in the shoes of the folks that we water boarded, I'd bet you'd see it as torture.

We move on. Appreciate the discourse.

It's over. A minion has stepped up to take the blame. The Donald has counseled and comforted her and all is well.

I shouldn't let this go by -- after all, the thread was originally about Melania Trump's plagiarism -- without saying that, if this is true, then Goat was right (see, I can admit it when you're right!)...this was incompetence.

That said, I have a whole lot of doubts about it being true. The campaign went from denying it was plagiarized at all -- it was just a coincidence that all those phrases were identically strung together!! -- to (a couple days later) having somebody who isn't even officially employed by the campaign take the fall for it.

And how do they explain the Rickroll? They don't. In fact, the Rickroll passage hasn't even gotten much attention. To me, it's the smoking gun that this speech was hacked.

I hope we eventually find out the truth about what happened here. Whoever pulled this stunt off deserves some accolades -- hacking a primetime convention speech.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Then why your fully disingenuous mischaracterization of it as "pour[ing] water over their head"Not easy to catch you in a lie, Crazed, but not impossible.

Pouring water over someone's head, nah, you're right, Crazed. That's not torture. Pouring it into their nose and throat, that's an entirely different ball of wax.

Waterboarding, also called water torture, simulated drowning, interrupted drowning, and controlled drowning, method of torture in which water is poured into the nose and mouth of a victim who lies on his back on an inclined platform, with his feet above his head.​

Well, I don't know where your nose and mouth are located. Mine are -- wait, let me check really quick -- yep, mine are still on my head where they've always been.

I didn't mean to suggest that it simulated baptism, lurker.

One of the first things we should remember is that the two psychologists that lead the program used the techniques adopted by North Korea during the Korean War. The US undertook the study to determine why American POWs made false declarations. In other words, these techniques compelled prisoners to lie not tell the truth.

Rupert Stone of Newsweek looked at the scientific studies on torture.

One study by Shane O'Mara.

Meanwhile, compelling scientific evidence is emerging that torture and coercion are, at best, ineffective means of gathering intelligence. Worse, as Shane O’Mara, a professor of experimental brain research at Trinity College Dublin, wrote in a recent book, Why Torture Doesn’t Work: The Neuroscience of Interrogation, torture can produce false information by harming those areas of the brain associated with memory. O’Mara marshals a large amount of scientific literature to make his point. In one important experiment from 2006, psychiatrist Charles Morgan and colleagues subjected a group of special operations soldiers to prisoner-of-war conditions (including food and sleep deprivation and temperature extremes).

These soldiers were highly trained and physically fit, and, unlike most detainees, they were motivated to cooperate. But even they exhibited a remarkable deterioration in memory as a result of these stressful conditions. According to Carle, enhanced interrogation techniques have similar effects. “It is obvious that sleep deprivation and temperature extremes disorient the detainee—they are designed to do so,” he says.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, the Navy’s Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape school used to subject U.S. soldiers to waterboarding as part of their resistance training (it stopped in 2007), and former instructor Malcolm Nance says the procedure does not elicit reliable information. It does, on the other hand, generate false confessions. “The captive will say absolutely anything and agree to anything to make the torture stop,” says Nance. Most of those subjected to waterboarding, he says, confess as a result—and their distress is so intense, they do not even remember confessing. In a recent BBC documentary, for which Nance served as a consultant, a volunteer underwent waterboarding and confessed to “being born a bunny rabbit.” He had no recollection of making such an admission.

What scientists have found is the same thing the Americans learned after the Korean War; torture, including sleep deprivation, waterboarding, etc, elicits false information.

Bolding is mine.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/20/science-shows-torture-doesnt-work-456854.html

Well, I don't know where your nose and mouth are located. Mine are -- wait, let me check really quick -- yep, mine are still on my head where they've always been.

I didn't mean to suggest that it simulated baptism, lurker.
I was waiting for your dodge. How are you going to conflate the meanings of over and into?

Furthermore, in your disingenuous best, I think you know that over the head generally refers the body in a vertical rather than horizontal position, that is, pouring the water onto the top of the head, rather than onto the face, which isn't even describing into the facial orifices.

You're being a bald-faced liar here, Crazed. It doesn't suit you. Clintonesque in your parsing.

It's terrifying and dangerous when you are be one being water boarded by a hostile enemy.

Well, it's supposed to be terrifying. That's the point, after all. But it was done in a controlled environment and according to strict written procedures. And, if I recall correctly, I believe there was a physician on standby. So I'm not sure I agree that it was actually dangerous. KSM is still drawing breath as we type, after all.

Put another way, I'd think if you were in the shoes of the folks that we water boarded, I'd bet you'd see it as torture.

Perhaps. But nobody would have to go to such extents to get me to spill my guts.

FWIW, and if it's of any consolation, I was in full agreement with Gen. Hayden with his criticism on Maher's show about a statement Trump made regarding waterboarding.

"We’re gonna do waterboarding and a whole lot more because they deserve it."
To quote William Munny, deserve's got nothin' to do with it. Waterboarding wasn't a punishment, it was an inducement. Keep in mind, while Gen. Hayden has said that he doesn't think the intelligence agencies would ever use waterboarding again because of all the backlash (he's also advised Trump to "bring his own bucket"), he's stopped conspicuously short of condemning its use.

One of the first things we should remember is that the two psychologists that lead the program used the techniques adopted by North Korea during the Korean War. The US undertook the study to determine why American POWs made false declarations. In other words, these techniques compelled prisoners to lie not tell the truth.

Rupert Stone of Newsweek looked at the scientific studies on torture.

One study by Shane O'Mara.

Meanwhile, compelling scientific evidence is emerging that torture and coercion are, at best, ineffective means of gathering intelligence. Worse, as Shane O’Mara, a professor of experimental brain research at Trinity College Dublin, wrote in a recent book, Why Torture Doesn’t Work: The Neuroscience of Interrogation, torture can produce false information by harming those areas of the brain associated with memory. O’Mara marshals a large amount of scientific literature to make his point. In one important experiment from 2006, psychiatrist Charles Morgan and colleagues subjected a group of special operations soldiers to prisoner-of-war conditions (including food and sleep deprivation and temperature extremes).

These soldiers were highly trained and physically fit, and, unlike most detainees, they were motivated to cooperate. But even they exhibited a remarkable deterioration in memory as a result of these stressful conditions. According to Carle, enhanced interrogation techniques have similar effects. “It is obvious that sleep deprivation and temperature extremes disorient the detainee—they are designed to do so,” he says.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, the Navy’s Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape school used to subject U.S. soldiers to waterboarding as part of their resistance training (it stopped in 2007), and former instructor Malcolm Nance says the procedure does not elicit reliable information. It does, on the other hand, generate false confessions. “The captive will say absolutely anything and agree to anything to make the torture stop,” says Nance. Most of those subjected to waterboarding, he says, confess as a result—and their distress is so intense, they do not even remember confessing. In a recent BBC documentary, for which Nance served as a consultant, a volunteer underwent waterboarding and confessed to “being born a bunny rabbit.” He had no recollection of making such an admission.

What scientists have found is the same thing the Americans learned after the Korean War; torture, including sleep deprivation, waterboarding, etc, elicits false information.

Bolding is mine.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/20/science-shows-torture-doesnt-work-456854.html

If it really isn't an effective method of extracting reliable intelligence, then of course we shouldn't use it. But I doubt anything in that world is approached as either a 1 or a 0 -- either always effective or never effective.

Again, the former Director of the CIA -- who wasn't even the director when this interrogation method was used -- publicly acknowledged that some of the intelligence gleaned from waterboarding KSM proved critical to locating Osama Bin Laden some years later. So, while it's certainly possible (probably even likely) that we also gleaned misinformation from KSM, it's clearly true that we not only got some legit stuff from him as well, but that it was put to very good use.

he's stopped conspicuously short of condemning its use.
And just why do you think that might be? Wouldn't he have to admit that he had egg on his face?

We can agree that their is a schism between a policy of "not torturing" and anonymous drone strikes onto suspected terrorists when they aren't engaged in active battle. We can debate that another time. But you still have two fundamental issues with the pseudo-definitions that you've dreamed up to fit your ideology:
1. It likely doesn't work. The FBI is stoic in their steadfast belief that it's useless. I trust FBI interrogators who have far more interrogations under their belt than the CIA.

2. It's torture and gives up the moral high ground.

If it really isn't an effective method of extracting reliable intelligence, then of course we shouldn't use it. But I doubt anything in that world is approached as either a 1 or a 0 -- either always effective or never effective.

Again, the former Director of the CIA -- who wasn't even the director when this interrogation method was used -- publicly acknowledged that some of the intelligence gleaned from waterboarding KSM proved critical to locating Osama Bin Laden some years later. So, while it's certainly possible (probably even likely) that we also gleaned misinformation from KSM, it's clearly true that we not only got some legit stuff from him as well, but that it was put to very good use.
Without knowing the full scheme of interrogation, we'll never know what correlation and causation were in that nugget of information from KSM. Was it the humiliation via nudity, the dogs, the waterboarding, etc. We don't know. You can't throw 72 things against a wall and then when one of them comes under fire say "but that's the one that did it!"

I was waiting for your dodge. How are you going to conflate the meanings of over and into?

Furthermore, in your disingenuous best, I think you know that over the head generally refers the body in a vertical rather than horizontal position, that is, pouring the water onto the top of the head, rather than onto the face, which isn't even describing into the facial orifices.

You're being a bald-faced liar here, Crazed. It doesn't suit you. Clintonesque in your parsing.
To be fair about it that's not how it was done by our guys and I know because I've seen a demonstration and briefing on what we did and some of the information we got from it. They inclined the person so his head was lower than his feet than they put a cloth over the mouth and nose of the person and poured the water over the head of that person for some approved period of time. That prevents almost all of the water from really going into the mouth or nose of the person but still gives the person the impression of drowning. They could suffocate if it was done for too long of a time but they controlled that. They got some false information from the people they water boarded but they also get false information from regular interrogations. They also got some accurate information from the few people they water boarded too. The people briefing us listed some terrorists that we captured or killed as a result of information they got from water boarding plus information they got by other methods and means too. I still don't support it except maybe in an extreme circumstance like they call the ticking bomb scenario but when is that likely to happen? I'm convinced it works sometimes but we can probably eventually get the same information in other ways but even if we can't it's torture and we shouldn't do it. I think it could be prosecuted as a war crime too. I think we should take the high road and not do it.

How about this, They quit cutting off people's Heads and we quit water boarding. Sound like a fair trade?
Well they should stop burning people alive and drowning them in steel cages. They should stop the rapes and the slave trade in young girls. Then MAYBE we'd not waterboard 3 people. OR maybe the complainers about "torture" will object to one beheading, one drowning, one burning, one rape or one slave sold. Maybe. I haven't ever noticed one word here in opposition to those horrors - maybe I missed such posts - but threads on waterboarding go on for days.

EDIT - change conjunctive

And just why do you think that might be? Wouldn't he have to admit that he had egg on his face?

Well, not really. He wasn't at CIA when this took place, George Tenet was. Hayden was at NSA at this time.

No, if I had to guess, I'd say he stopped short of condemning it because (a) it did produce critical intelligence (which we know as a fact, thanks to Leon Panetta), and (b) he's not about the join the chorus of those wanting heads on platters of people involved in it.

I also suspect that Hayden doesn't want to have to eat any words when and if we decide to use it again. If you pay close enough attention to his words, he basically says that the CIA wouldn't want to do it again because of the ensuring furor. He doesn't say that we never should've done it or that it never would or should happen again.

We can agree that their is a schism between a policy of "not torturing" and anonymous drone strikes onto suspected terrorists when they aren't engaged in active battle.

Well, yes. Sometimes I really think we confuse warfare with criminal justice. I guess that's understandable in this kind of a war. But we need to get beyond that.

I'm not a supporter of Barack Obama's (shocker, right?). But I'm not about to go after him for dropping Hellfires on the likes of Anwar al-Awlaki -- nor am I about to start shouting about due process. And that's because criminality and warfare are two different things. And because I agree with Justice Jackson that the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

Of course we do things in the prosecution of war that we wouldn't do in any other endeavor. We're the only nation in history to have dropped a nuke -- and on a heavily populated city, no less -- not just once, but twice. And we're here wringing our hands over a harsh, but controlled, interrogation of a known hardened terrorist?

1. It likely doesn't work.

I'm content to leave that determination to the professionals we charge with gathering intelligence. If that's their conclusion, then I'll gladly say we should try something else. I'm not a sadist.

But there's a reason I keep repeating Panetta's admission. That's not me saying that "it's foolproof....works every time!" It's just to put it out there for those who suggest that it never works. As is probably always the case in these sorts of things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Well, not for me. And I'd say that's something that we're all entitled to our own opinion about.

Last edited:
Without knowing the full scheme of interrogation, we'll never know what correlation and causation were in that nugget of information from KSM. Was it the humiliation via nudity, the dogs, the waterboarding, etc. We don't know. You can't throw 72 things against a wall and then when one of them comes under fire say "but that's the one that did it!"

OK, fair point. But Panetta did say that it came from the "Enhanced Interrogation Tactics." And I don't think the critics of waterboarding are cool with dogs, nudity, sleep deprivation, etc. either.

I'm not saying we should have no limits to what we're willing to do to gather intelligence (or any other aspect of the prosecution of war). All I've said is that what I know we've done to date doesn't bother me much. If it bothers you, that's fine -- I'm not going to rake you over the coals for disagreeing with me.

Why is it some people have such a difficult time with others holding different opinions? That's something I've really never understood.

We can agree that their is a schism between a policy of "not torturing" and anonymous drone strikes onto suspected terrorists when they aren't engaged in active battle. We can debate that another time. But you still have two fundamental issues with the pseudo-definitions that you've dreamed up to fit your ideology:
1. It likely doesn't work. The FBI is stoic in their steadfast belief that it's useless. I trust FBI interrogators who have far more interrogations under their belt than the CIA.

In world wide jihad against people attempting to impose Sharia'a Law on every nation possible by any means imaginable, please advise where the moral higher ground is - in appeasement? In losing nicely? In the deaths of Americans and citizens of our allies while we watch comfortably from the moral high ground? What is the value of the moral high ground to those - civilian and military - who are being killed by fanatics pursuing world dominance through the perversion of their religion using Sharia'a Law?

We should maintain the moral high ground if at all possible, but not at the price of sacrificing people and institutions to an enemy sworn to kill or convert everyone and to whom the moral high ground is totally unknown or is a laughing matter at which they chuckle while cutting off someone's head or bombing a shopping mall.

Last edited:
OK, fair point. But Panetta did say that it came from the "Enhanced Interrogation Tactics." And I don't think the critics of waterboarding are cool with dogs, nudity, sleep deprivation, etc.

I think there's a large difference between humiliating somebody and simulating drowning. I guess sign me up as someone who is ok with some of the EIT but draw the line at striking and waterboarding.

Reactions: MrBing
Is my recollection wrong that it was CIA contractors -- not actual CIA personnel -- that did the waterboarding? (Not that it really makes a difference, other than it might be indicative of the problems inherent in privatizing warfare.)

I think there's a large difference between humiliating somebody and simulating drowning. I guess sign me up as someone who is ok with some of the EIT but draw the line at striking and waterboarding.

Noted.

I don't know why simple matters of disagreement -- like where such lines should be drawn and why -- so often have to turn into verbal MMA cagematches. I realize a lot of the subjects we discuss here are controversial and emotions often run high. But I hope nobody ever catches me dealing with disagreement -- on anything -- by ratcheting it up to insulting people who hold other views or delegitimizing their views. If anybody does, I hope they'll call me out on it.

I'm not one to draw much from the relative popularity of any particular opinion I or anybody else might have (in fact, I'm pretty sure I have some which would put me in a tiny minority). But, in this case, here I am espousing a view that actually claims a fairly strong majority of popular support (even among a narrow majority of Democrats)...and I'm "batshit crazy", "a bald-faced liar", ignorant of what waterboarding even is, "fact-less", and probably worse.

We can do better than that. This is why hoot1's my pick for role model on this board -- although he and I don't agree on much. I don't think he's ever uttered an ad hominem at anybody -- I know he's never done so to me. He's genuinely inquisitive about why somebody thinks what they do -- and often in a way, I think, that forces them to give deeper consideration in a non-insulting and non-threatening way. And he also has a knack for expressing his own opinions in ways that intimate at least a modicum of respect for ones that aren't exactly the same as his.

I think we should all strive to be the kind of person that hoot1 is -- on the board and when interacting with others in person on hot topics.

I'm not chastising you with this, BTW. Clearly, you're far closer to hoot's ideal demeanor than you are some of our worst offenders.

Is my recollection wrong that it was CIA contractors -- not actual CIA personnel -- that did the waterboarding? (Not that it really makes a difference, other than it might be indicative of the problems inherent in privatizing warfare.)
It doesn't matter. They were acting as agents (legal term - not James Bond term) of CIA in doing so. And my recollection is that a few folks were brought in to "oversee" the program. Who actually executed it is unbeknownst.

It doesn't matter. They were acting as agents (legal term - not James Bond term) of CIA in doing so. And my recollection is that a few folks were brought in to "oversee" the program. Who actually executed it is unbeknownst.
I understand it doesn't practically, but from a legalistic "chain of responsibility" sense, it does add a wrinkle. The use of contract mercenaries overall has been troubling to me from the outset.

The Senate Intelligence Committee, a group not tied to the people doing the torture., found no evidence of any type of information gleaned from these interrogations. From my view, the Director's comments seem a bit of CYA.

I will just go with the Navy's decision that it was a waste of time based on their years of using it as part of their preparation.

I understand it doesn't practically, but from a legalistic "chain of responsibility" sense, it does add a wrinkle. The use of contract mercenaries overall has been troubling to me from the outset.
It's quite common for them to use contractors for non-core activities. My hypothesis is that they're constrained by the GS scale and some of these contractors probably make more than top CIA employees.

"18 U.S. Code § 2340 - Definitions

As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from:
(A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and
(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States."

You can talk all you wanna but THIS is the only definition of torture any American Congress has EVER approved or adopted.

The bolded terms are the ones that mean - as a matter of law in an American court - that no one who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees committed "torture" as a matter of American law.

Unless you are named Clinton, we are a nation of laws, not men.
So either argue from the law or STFU.

Here, there is proof upon proof upon proof that the folks who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees did NOT "intend" (specifically or otherwise) to "inflict" "prolonged mental harm" (i.e. "severe mental pain or suffering") .

Here, there HAS NEVER BEEN ANY PROOF that the folks who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees DID "specifically intend" to "inflict" "prolonged mental harm" (i.e. "severe mental pain or suffering") .

INTENT MATTERS - ask Hillary.

There was NO TORTURE UNDER THE LAW.

Period.

You people....

Well they should stop burning people alive and drowning them in steel cages. They should stop the rapes and the slave trade in young girls. Then MAYBE we'd not waterboard 3 people. OR maybe the complainers about "torture" will object to one beheading, one drowning, one burning, one rape or one slave sold. Maybe. I haven't ever noticed one word here in opposition to those horrors - maybe I missed such posts - but threads on waterboarding go on for days.

EDIT - change conjunctive

You are an incredible twat.

"18 U.S. Code § 2340 - Definitions

As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from:
(A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and
(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States."

You can talk all you wanna but THIS is the only definition of torture any American Congress has EVER approved or adopted.

The bolded terms are the ones that mean - as a matter of law in an American court - that no one who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees committed "torture" as a matter of American law.

Unless you are named Clinton, we are a nation of laws, not men.
So either argue from the law or STFU.

Here, there is proof upon proof upon proof that the folks who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees did NOT "intend" (specifically or otherwise) to "inflict" "prolonged mental harm" (i.e. "severe mental pain or suffering") .

Here, there HAS NEVER BEEN ANY PROOF that the folks who waterboarded the 3 Gitmo detainees DID "specifically intend" to "inflict" "prolonged mental harm" (i.e. "severe mental pain or suffering") .

INTENT MATTERS - ask Hillary.

There was NO TORTURE UNDER THE LAW.

Period.

You people....
Actually I think waterboarding very clearly fits that definition, specifically under 2(C).

Reactions: wiede
;)

Remember my post from earlier today wondering why it is some people freak out by the prospect of an elephant being killed by a hunter, but don't bat an eye when hunters kill a deer or some other animal? I likened it to the contrast between being a prostitute and being a porn performer. Just stick a camera in the room and I guess it becomes legal, boys.

What you're suggesting here falls in the same category. Nobody seems to have the slightest problem with us blowing enemy combatants to bits. But to pour water over their head in a totally controlled and safe environment? Quelle horreur!!!

Don't kid yourself about this, Goat. We've done this before and chances are probably pretty good that we'll eventually do it again. If you have moral qualms about that, then knock yourself out.
(

I fail to see how any sentient being does not understand how someone could not understand the different situations between elephants and deer. Deer processing in my state is monitored to determine permit levels. Low levels of fat will reduce permits and vice versa. They also have biologists that do spotlighting. My son and I rode along on one of these checks.

Indian and Asian elephants are endangered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT