ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocrity

Next season will be a good indicator of Lemos tenure. The development of these Frosh in key roles will be crucial one way or the other.

I spoke to a member of the IU baseball staff last night and he thinks IU is ready to really take off in the next 2-3 seasons. He said that the team knew they were young in pitching but like the way the staff progressed over the season. He feels that if Miller and Lloyd come back and Houston continues to improve that they could be really good next year. He ended our talk by saying the draft next week will be key, but they are hopeful it will fall their way.

This season's team overachieved in a lot of ways and calling them a 6th place BIG TEN team is correct by the standings but not accurate because they were arguably the best team in the BIG TEN.

I spoke to a member of the IU baseball staff last night and he thinks IU is ready to really take off in the next 2-3 seasons. He said that the team knew they were young in pitching but like the way the staff progressed over the season. He feels that if Miller and Lloyd come back and Houston continues to improve that they could be really good next year. He ended our talk by saying the draft next week will be key, but they are hopeful it will fall their way.

This season's team overachieved in a lot of ways and calling them a 6th place BIG TEN team is correct by the standings but not accurate because they were arguably the best team in the BIG TEN.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. If we can hold on to guys like Lloyd, Miller, and Sowers, while continuing to bring in good talent and building experience, we should have a good season next year. The key is to continue stringing together good seasons and regional appearances year after year. Do that, and we'll build and eventually break through into the supers and, hopefully, the CWS again.

Really want to see them continue to schedule aggressively, because I think that is very important to the perception of the program nationally and to recruits.

I suspect you may be correct though I'm not positive. The poster seems reasonably conversant with college baseball but uses the knowledge to make arguments which are a bit out of kilter and I suspect they know that. If this is trolling, it's a form for which I do have some grudging respect in that the poster came and went relatively quickly and didn't make totally outlandish statements which would cause Hoosiers to circle the wagons. It looks like an decent attempt to sow dissension among IU fans which didn't quite pan out. Helen/Bob's Nuts could learn a thing or two here <lol>.

Go IU!

A question I have, and I'll ask in this thread, is how do we get IU baseball to become something akin to Louisville baseball? They are located less than 100 miles south, so the climate issue isn't totally applicable. I understand that they now play in an excellent baseball conference, but they rose playing in "lesser" conferences. Facilities seem generally similar. What is the key? Is it that they rode a couple of good seasons and really were able to capitalize, or are there other issues/factors that supported their rise? I think that, with the hire of Lemonis, we were clearly attempting to follow the UofL blueprint, but I'm curious about the thoughts of people that know more about this than I.
Beer at games leads to revenue and crowds...like the YUM center for bball...

A question I have, and I'll ask in this thread, is how do we get IU baseball to become something akin to Louisville baseball? They are located less than 100 miles south, so the climate issue isn't totally applicable. I understand that they now play in an excellent baseball conference, but they rose playing in "lesser" conferences. Facilities seem generally similar. What is the key? Is it that they rode a couple of good seasons and really were able to capitalize, or are there other issues/factors that supported their rise? I think that, with the hire of Lemonis, we were clearly attempting to follow the UofL blueprint, but I'm curious about the thoughts of people that know more about this than I.
Beer at games leads to revenue and crowds...like the YUM center for bball...

Beer and free admission is huge for UL. They only charge for the UK regular season game. I guess beer revenue offsets it a ton. Plus, it gets your casual fan there to experience it and they want to go back.

Beer and free admission is huge for UL. They only charge for the UK regular season game. I guess beer revenue offsets it a ton. Plus, it gets your casual fan there to experience it and they want to go back.
That's interesting. I believe that I had heard that they offered free admission. Offering beer sales would be good, but that would require some pretty substantial rewriting of campus rules/regs. It would provide something akin to a typical baseball experience though.

Is there anything that Louisville "has" that we don't with regard to the baseball program? Do they have larger, better support facilities? Clearly have have one of the best coaching staffs in baseball. Is local HS baseball better in Louisville and Kentucky than that played in Indiana? I'm pretty ignorant to many of these things, but see UofL has a reasonable example for IU to follow.

That's interesting. I believe that I had heard that they offered free admission. Offering beer sales would be good, but that would require some pretty substantial rewriting of campus rules/regs. It would provide something akin to a typical baseball experience though.

Is there anything that Louisville "has" that we don't with regard to the baseball program? Do they have larger, better support facilities? Clearly have have one of the best coaching staffs in baseball. Is local HS baseball better in Louisville and Kentucky than that played in Indiana? I'm pretty ignorant to many of these things, but see UofL has a reasonable example for IU to follow.

I believe our field is nicer but their's is larger. Not sure of the indoor and training facilities, but generally, UL has too notch everything in facilities. They have a lot of large corporate money pumped in.

And you mention coaches. Well established group and paid a lot for what they have accomplished. They offer kids early and have gotten to the point that they don't even look at a pitcher who can't hit 90 or above.

Reactions: jmbennett
Interesting week of responses. Good gauge of the temperature of some of the fan base. I have lots of thoughts, couple pages worth, probably why I follow and read not post. I'll put a few down and it can go from there.
B10 conference- 7th RPI but last of power 5, 3-10 I think in regionals
IU did finish just 2 out of 1st but also 2 out of 8th, 3 from no t-ment.
In B10, 10-9-1 vs t-ment teams, 10-10-1 vs top8, 4-2 vs bottom 4
So unbalanced schedule, which is something I considered, could have led to a higher finish this year. I was assuming over the 3 year period, that stuff balances out so 6th,3rd,6th is fair representation.
IU team- 8th team batting average, 7th runs scored( even played a couple extra games),solid in homers and extra base hits, struck out a ton and walked little. 7th in team ERA, 4th in fielding.
Wish there was a site that did advanced metrics for baseball but I couldn't find it.
This body of work is statistically just average, no better in my mind, perhaps I'm misguided. Now my eyes, especially at the tournament over 3 days, our talent level was indistinguishable from 6 of the teams I saw. I guess I expected 3 years of recruiting to produce a more, again maybe I'm just being unfair.
So, I'm not comparing this to Tracy's last 3 but rather back to 2008 in totality and this looks a lot like 08-11 to me. That's fine I guess but I was surprised by the strong attitude of "we were bad for years and this is all we should expect" Maybe I misread that sentiment. I kind of hoped taking over a very solid situation, good facilities, some national run, a top assistant from a very good program would be having more success in recruiting and I'd feel more like we are building and improving. I feel like we've slid back, settled in at this level and everyone inside and outside the program thinks we are just fine.
I guess I'll have to curb my enthusiasm/expectations
Mr Courtsense is likely very correct, next year will give us a good barometer on improving, building or stagnating at an average level.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Now, Mr Macaroni:
I am not stupid nor a troll and I don't appreciate being labeled. You don't know me or the first thing about my life. Frustrated and concerned about what direction the program might head-yes.
I travel 8 hours round trip half a dozen times a year for football, basketball, soccer and baseball when I can. Graduate and 35 year passionate fan. I want all of our programs to succeed every year. I did not come here to create "dissension in the fan base". It really is no wonder so few people want to post and express opinions when they get treated so poorly, good grief.
So,You Mr Macaroni, are the all-knowing, grand poobah of the IU message boards. I hope you use your vast power for good. I truly apologize for expressing my opinion and frustration. I also apologize for upsetting your sensibilities. I was trying to get a civil set of opinions on what direction the program was headed versus what some other fans and I discuss.
You are a wonderful and warm human being, god bless
Go Hoosiers

Interesting week of responses. Good gauge of the temperature of some of the fan base. I have lots of thoughts, couple pages worth, probably why I follow and read not post. I'll put a few down and it can go from there.
So unbalanced schedule, which is something I considered, could have led to a higher finish this year. I was assuming over the 3 year period, that stuff balances out so 6th,3rd,6th is fair representation.
IU team- 8th team batting average, 7th runs scored( even played a couple extra games),solid in homers and extra base hits, struck out a ton and walked little. 7th in team ERA, 4th in fielding.
Wish there was a site that did advanced metrics for baseball but I couldn't find it.
This body of work is statistically just average, no better in my mind, perhaps I'm misguided. Now my eyes, especially at the tournament over 3 days, our talent level was indistinguishable from 6 of the teams I saw. I guess I expected 3 years of recruiting to produce a more, again maybe I'm just being unfair.
So, I'm not comparing this to Tracy's last 3 but rather back to 2008 in totality and this looks a lot like 08-11 to me. That's fine I guess but I was surprised by the strong attitude of "we were bad for years and this is all we should expect" Maybe I misread that sentiment. I kind of hoped taking over a very solid situation, good facilities, some national run, a top assistant from a very good program would be having more success in recruiting and I'd feel more like we are building and improving. I feel like we've slid back, settled in at this level and everyone inside and outside the program thinks we are just fine.
Mr Courtsense is likely very correct, next year will give us a good barometer on improving, building or stagnating at an average level.
I just think it's monumentally silly to get on here and ask whether it's time for a coaching change, for one, after only three years, and two, when those three years included three winning seasons and two NCAA appearances, 1/3 of our all time tournament history. And we earned an at large 2 seed. We didn't slide in.

It's one thing to express critiques: that's not what you did. Things don't always progress directly upward every single year. If that were the case, we'd be going undefeated here in a couple of years. We lost a few of the best players in program history when Smith left, and have maintained a tournament quality program since. Even asking if it's time for a new staff is asinine.

I just think it's monumentally silly to get on here and ask whether it's time for a coaching change, for one, after only three years, and two, when those three years included three winning seasons and two NCAA appearances, 1/3 of our all time tournament history. And we earned an at large 2 seed. We didn't slide in.

It's one thing to express critiques: that's not what you did. Things don't always progress directly upward every single year. If that were the case, we'd be going undefeated here in a couple of years. We lost a few of the best players in program history when Smith left, and have maintained a tournament quality program since. Even asking if it's time for a new staff is asinine.

Your points are dead on. Hence my analysis of his post: TROLL

Dude, why bother responding. It's not worth the effort. The only discussion should be when to extend CLs contract or if he gets another job opportunity, both of which are more likely to happen than him being replaced.

I kind of hoped taking over a very solid situation, good facilities, some national run, a top assistant from a very good program would be having more success in recruiting and I'd feel more like we are building and improving. I feel like we've slid back, settled in at this level and everyone inside and outside the program thinks we are just fine.

I would suggest to you, with the exception of 2013 when Coach Smith caught lightening in a bottle with a special group of guys (Schwarber, Travis, etc...), Coach Lemonis has matched his performance and maintained what he inherited. He's taken the team to two NCAA's in his first three years and last year's team was not that far away from making the field. Those whose job it is to pay attention, weren't nearly as anxious about the problems you perceive and, as RBB pointed out, awarded the team with a #2 seed in the regional. We played two World Series participants (Oregon State and Louisville) this season and showed we clearly can play and win at the very highest levels. Ask Pat Casey and Dan McDonnell if they think Indiana is on a good baseball trajectory and see what they say. I'm quite excited about our recruiting as well. We lost two recruits to the MLB draft who would have likely been major contributors to this team. That happens. I live in the heart of ACC/SEC territory and I can tell you programs down here suffer the same fate which can cause short term bobbles in the team from year to year. It's a sign Coach Lemonis is attracting top level talent, but those who follow the college game know that happens. So... I pass this along to you, my fellow Hoosier fan... our program is in a very good place and you should sleep well at night.

This is our 6th NCAA appearance ever. Lemonis is literally the only coach who has ever taken us to the NCAA tournament two out of his first three years. In the year that we didn't make it, last year, we still had a winning record. We finished like two games back in the loss column in the Big Ten. Our RPI was "somehow" ranked highly because we played a tough schedule and had several good wins, including a win over Louisville.

Also, Tracy Smith is currently sitting at home after leading Arizona State to their first losing season in like 50 years. Also, I do actually think he's a really good coach, but a good chunk of his tenure here was filled with missing the NCAA tournament. We are not always going to have a Kyle Schwarber on our team. And as good of a team as we head in Smith's last year, we didn't get out of regionals and lost at home. He did a lot for our program and helped build it up, but I have no idea where some of these expectations are coming from. You're seriously suggesting that we fire the coach for "only" making the NCAA tournament. Do you not see how stupid that is?

All of Lemonis' classes here have been ranked pretty highly, so I've now seen people complain about not recruiting enough talent here, and not doing enough with good recruiting classes. It's mind-boggling.

I'd like to know your expectations on yearly basis for the program. I have no idea why people think we are this powerhouse program because we had one run to the CWS. We are consistently getting 30 win seasons and making the NCAA tournament. When that happens, you will likely see a deep run every once in a while. To suggest firing the staff now is completely asinine and all that shows me that our fans don't follow college baseball much at all. Is the team flawed? Yes. Do the coaches make mistakes? Yes. But I cannot fathom why we are seeing threads like this. It's just dumb. And our current tournament game isn't even over.

To actually answer your question, there is a 0% chance that the staff is fired after the season. So there's no real point even discussing it. The IU baseball coach does not get fired after three years for having three winning seasons and two NCAA appearances.
----

I'm not to the point where I'm suggesting anyone get fired, but I do think it's fair to set our sights a little higher than mid-pack Big Ten and a quick regional exit. I also think it's fair to question the talent being brought in. The 2013-2014 teams weren't just Schwarber and Travis. In addition to those two and Dustin DeMuth (AA), no fewer than seven members of the pitching staff were drafted and most are playing minor league ball still. Some, like Aaron Slegers, have a real shot at making the majors. This year's roster will likely send one player to the minors.

Lemonis was brought in presumably because of his recruiting and his role in making Louisville a power. Louisville hasn't missed a beat in the three years while IU has regressed.

I don't think it's reasonable to believe any Big Ten team should be a perennial power, but doesn't mean we shouldn't expect to be near the top of the league and be at least a threat for a super regional every couple of years.

I love IU baseball. I love the setting and the passion of the fans but I think we're on the cusp of missing an opportunity to build on a truly remarkable run of a few years ago. IMO, the university needs to treat it like more of a major program. It's hard to get real-time - or any - information on players who are injured or just not playing; the social media for the team is only average; the coach only speaks when they win or when he is forced to do so. Even the local sports media, without much else pressing to do in the spring, doesn't provide regular coverage of the program.

You get what you accept. It just feels like we're close to accepting being a slightly above average baseball program.

Reactions: Orbit7958
----

I'm not to the point where I'm suggesting anyone get fired, but I do think it's fair to set our sights a little higher than mid-pack Big Ten and a quick regional exit. I also think it's fair to question the talent being brought in. The 2013-2014 teams weren't just Schwarber and Travis. In addition to those two and Dustin DeMuth (AA), no fewer than seven members of the pitching staff were drafted and most are playing minor league ball still. Some, like Aaron Slegers, have a real shot at making the majors. This year's roster will likely send one player to the minors.

Lemonis was brought in presumably because of his recruiting and his role in making Louisville a power. Louisville hasn't missed a beat in the three years while IU has regressed.

I don't think it's reasonable to believe any Big Ten team should be a perennial power, but doesn't mean we shouldn't expect to be near the top of the league and be at least a threat for a super regional every couple of years.

I love IU baseball. I love the setting and the passion of the fans but I think we're on the cusp of missing an opportunity to build on a truly remarkable run of a few years ago. IMO, the university needs to treat it like more of a major program. It's hard to get real-time - or any - information on players who are injured or just not playing; the social media for the team is only average; the coach only speaks when they win or when he is forced to do so. Even the local sports media, without much else pressing to do in the spring, doesn't provide regular coverage of the program.

You get what you accept. It just feels like we're close to accepting being a slightly above average baseball program.
I think that IU should expect to be the top team in the B1G every year. I really do. It is difficult, though, given the nature of the unbalance B1G schedule. I really agree with you on the desire for more information regarding the program. The baseball program is likely bordering on becoming a third revenue program for the department. Would like to see them treat it as such. I'm not sure if all games are on the radio, but things like that would help.

I am curious about, beyond the promotional aspect, what more the department could be doing to support the program and make sure it's the best it can be. Are any of our facilities lacking vs. our competition? Are we paying our coaching staff below market?

Reactions: mazz
I think that IU should expect to be the top team in the B1G every year. I really do. It is difficult, though, given the nature of the unbalance B1G schedule. I really agree with you on the desire for more information regarding the program. The baseball program is likely bordering on becoming a third revenue program for the department. Would like to see them treat it as such. I'm not sure if all games are on the radio, but things like that would help.

I am curious about, beyond the promotional aspect, what more the department could be doing to support the program and make sure it's the best it can be. Are any of our facilities lacking vs. our competition? Are we paying our coaching staff below market?

Not sure on other aspects but can answer about radio coverage .

Weekday games (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) are generally on 105.1 on regular radio. Saturday and Sunday are on online radio which is free. So in response yes games are pretty much on radio.

It actually gives me a good laugh because when I went when I was a young kid if I left games early I use to ask if we could listen to end on radio and I got laughed at that games were not on radio. I can now tease back about this from 20 years ago.

Also all home games are televised online (for a fee) with a few on regular TV on BTN.

While things are not perfect program has come a long way in terms of visibility and media coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: CF77
Not sure on other aspects but can answer about radio coverage .

Weekday games (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) are on 105.1 on regular radio. Saturday and Sunday are on online radio which is free. So in response yes games are pretty much on radio.

It actually gives me a good laugh because when I went when I was a young kid if I left games early I use to ask if we could listen to end on radio and I got laughed at that games were not on radio. I can now tease back about this from 20 years ago.

Also all home games are televised online (for a fee) with a few on regular TV on BTN.

While things are not perfect program has come a long way in terms of visibility and media coverage.
Thanks for the info. I know I've seen things online and social media about Greg Murray doing the radio call, but I wasn't sure if it was only select games or whether all games were broadcast locally.

Thanks for the info. I know I've seen things online and social media about Greg Murray doing the radio call, but I wasn't sure if it was only select games or whether all games were broadcast locally.

Greg is the voice of Women's basketball also so that job trumps baseball early in the season . Sometimes other broadcasters are brought in early in the year for the online radio call . Roger Rodeheaver even does some games during that long February road trip with his cell phone .

This link is for the online radio calls

http://mgmt.firststreaming.com/listen/iphoneredir.php?callsign=WHCC_FM

----

UofL started a run of investment/success well over a decade ago. So yes, I'm sure it is quite a bit easier to sustain a higher level of consistency when they've had it rolling for 10+ years.

But again, we were a 2 seed in the tournament. We lost. It happens. We showed we could play with just about anyone. We beat UofL and lost 1-0 to that ace pitcher at Oregon State (that is a truly bizarre story, by the way).

What you're saying is fine, but the OP seriously suggested firing the staff, which was just stupid. Nothing you said was out of line, and its not like you're Orbit or something who literally only posts after a loss in any IU sport. I just think that we're doing pretty well in terms of having a consistent level of success.

I do have a couple of questions though: when exactly is it that you want Lemonis to speak? And how much injury info do you expect? You pretty much don't get any injury updates out of anyone anymore.

Reactions: jmbennett

In comparison to Louisville, the only real difference facility wise is that their stadium is larger and has a video board. I still think we should use part of the recently dismantled football board for baseball, but we've already talked about that.

Anyway, the clubhouses/offices look pretty much the same, and we have the indoor training area/cages like they do. Both have a rehab area. They may have a small weight facility at their stadium, but that's pretty much moot considering our giant NEZ weight room is pretty much right there and they have about everything they could ever need in there.

In comparison to Louisville, the only real difference facility wise is that their stadium is larger and has a video board. I still think we should use part of the recently dismantled football board for baseball, but we've already talked about that.

Anyway, the clubhouses/offices look pretty much the same, and we have the indoor training area/cages like they do. Both have a rehab area. They may have a small weight facility at their stadium, but that's pretty much moot considering our giant NEZ weight room is pretty much right there and they have about everything they could ever need in there.
Thanks for the info. Just curious as to whether there was anything that IU baseball lacked compared to a nearby program that is one of the best in the country. Glad to hear that we are close in that regard. Obviously, we pay our staff less, but UofL's has earned every penny of what they make. Just curious if we are paying market rates for a quality staff at a power 5 program.

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT