ADVERTISEMENT

Media guide/record book. All Big

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
IU media guide lists our All Big selections, but first team only. All honorees should be included. 2nd , 3rd and Hon Men is still an honor and recognition. Third team has not been around for very long. If you look at Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, they include all. It’s not as if we, IU, have so many that it would take up too much space. They deserve to be recognized. iMHO. Sports Info Dept. Should include in the future. Congratulations to our guys named to All Big Ten Team!

IU media guide lists our All Big selections, but first team only. All honorees should be included. 2nd , 3rd and Hon Men is still an honor and recognition. Third team has not been around for very long. If you look at Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, they include all. It’s not as if we, IU, have so many that it would take up too much space. They deserve to be recognized. iMHO. Sports Info Dept. Should include in the future. Congratulations to our guys named to All Big Ten Team!

I see that you're a football history guy, kp. There aren't a lot of us.

What you are saying about IU's media guide bugs me as well. I don't know about HM or 3rd team ABT, but I'd sure like to see our 2nd teamers listed in our media guide. There are many instances when the 2nd teamer is just or good or better than the 1st teamer, especially at a place like IU. I think about the guys who played at IU in the '50s and early '60s, for example. Guys like a Marv Woodson or Nate Ramsey. If you are the relatives of guys like that, wouldn't you like to see them remembered for what they gave the U? If anything, wouldn't you think a school like OSU would be the one to only list 1st teamers, not a school like IU?

What I really hate about IU's guide is that it doesn't even list what All-American teams some of our guys made. It will simply say "Joe Smith was a third team AA" or "Joe Smith received 2nd & 3rd team AA mention". Why is this? Pure laziness. IU's guide simply repeats the same information from one year to the next. No one has taken the time to do better. As an example, the BT media guide only lists 1st team ABT players. I would bet IU is simply going off their list. About 2/3rds of the other BT schools have gone further and list their 2nd teamers.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
I see that you're a football history guy, kp. There aren't a lot of us.

What you are saying about IU's media guide bugs me as well. I don't know about HM or 3rd team ABT, but I'd sure like to see our 2nd teamers listed in our media guide. There are many instances when the 2nd teamer is just or good or better than the 1st teamer, especially at a place like IU. I think about the guys who played at IU in the '50s and early '60s, for example. Guys like a Marv Woodson or Nate Ramsey. If you are the relatives of guys like that, wouldn't you like to see them remembered for what they gave the U? If anything, wouldn't you think a school like OSU would be the one to only list 1st teamers, not a school like IU?

What I really hate about IU's guide is that it doesn't even list what All-American teams some of our guys made. It will simply say "Joe Smith was a third team AA" or "Joe Smith received 2nd & 3rd team AA mention". Why is this? Pure laziness. IU's guide simply repeats the same information from one year to the next. No one has taken the time to do better. As an example, the BT media guide only lists 1st team ABT players. I would bet IU is simply going off their list. About 2/3rds of the other BT schools have gone further and list their 2nd teamers.

I know we're pissing against the wind here, but it's the kind of thing that drives me crazy about IU football.

Reactions: 82IU and td75
Just playing devil's advocate, because it has been a while since I have poured through any media guides.

There is a limit to the number of pages that didn't exist prior until around 2005 or 2006. I know it wouldn't take up much more space, but it's possible that something else would have to be removed to accommodate it.

It does come off as lazy and I hate that. The fans must DEMAND BETTER. This school simply doesn't have enough pressure on it to do better.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT