ADVERTISEMENT

McGraw flipped to Penn State

I said this on the premium sides but he chose us for two reasons, Hagen and Ballou. When Ballou left, I said at the time watch for McGraw to leave to.

I was hoping to be wrong. I wasn't, unfortunately.

#1 reason why can’t get too excited when HS 17 yr olds gives “his word” but hasn’t signed the LOI. I hate to get too mad at a kid, no idea what parental or coaching advice he’s getting or gotten either.

Better to happen now than 2 weeks before signing day, but still a bummer. These kids should just NOT commit if they aren’t fully sure as it does make them look flakey, or always looking for a better deal and in a sense used IU to get it.

I would rather have players fully committed to IU and not wavering...and talented too.

We’d all be lying if we didn’t say we wanted him, but life has a funny way of working out. He is not the only player out there and wouldn’t be surprised if he possibly considers reassessing again before it’s all said and done.

Best way to handle is say good luck and not lower way IU handles itself or adversity. We lost Ballou and got Wellman. We may get a higher or equally rated new DE recruit ahead. If a player is not truly excited and all in, keep moving on and leave the spots for passionate and appreciative to be Hoosiers recruits!

Onward!

Here is an idea. Set an NCAA Rule that no Senior can give a Verbal Commitment Until the July 15 before their Senior Year of High School and has the period between July 15 and August 15. That way the guys who want to get it out the way before their Senior Year can do so after they attend Summer Camps and know what is out there. If they don't commit in that period, they can't do so until their Senior Year of Football is finished, whether that be the end of October or Thanksgiving Weekend if their team goes to the State Championship.
This gets rid of all this early recruiting BS and Verbal Commits from Freshman and Sophomores who have no idea of what they are getting into, and doesn't make them look like selfish, greedy, ingrates when they change a Verbal Commit.

He got an offer from Illinois not long ago and Tweeted that he couldn't wait to see what they had to offer, or words to that effect, so it was pretty obvious that we were just a place-holder while he looked for something better. Word is that the staff is not too disappointed.

We’re still recruiting quite a few highly rated DE’s for this class. I imagine the staff had an inkling that was a soft commit at best. We’ve got so few rides for this class that I’m not plussed by this. Lose Jones and I’ll freak out though! Keep the focus on the rest of the instate targets and close McCulley.

I want to beat Penn State more than any other team in the Big Ten. Seriously. Can’t stand them. How many games have they stole from us? They catch so many breaks against us. They program deserves to rot.

He got an offer from Illinois not long ago and Tweeted that he couldn't wait to see what they had to offer, or words to that effect, so it was pretty obvious that we were just a place-holder while he looked for something better. Word is that the staff is not too disappointed.

I imagine they aren’t naive and sensed this was coming. No recruit is final until they sing the LOU, but some you fee a lot more confident than others. I do hate seeing any recruits do this almost to any school, as wish they’d all wait to feel great about their decision, not make a verbal, then keep wanting to go see other schools and look for a better deal. It’s not a good look.

but get new talent and don’t look back IU!

As someone said above, glad it's not 2 weeks before signing day. With way too many of these "commitments" seems quite often the coaches know the kid's word isn't his bond. In this case, the kid still has another 8 months before early signing day, so if UM comes calling again, or ND wants to kick his tires, he will listen to them too.

Seems IU is in on a few others comparably rated at his position. Next up.

I want to beat Penn State more than any other team in the Big Ten. Seriously. Can’t stand them. How many games have they stole from us? They catch so many breaks against us. They program deserves to rot.
They also take have taken out 2-3 quarterbacks of ours in the last couple of years not to mention what they did to Whop?

When McGraw tweeted about the flip he included "Recent events have led me to re-evaluate my opportunities and take a closer look at some great programs."

Am I reading too much into it that the "recent events" could be that the staff is making headway with some of the other highly ranked DEs?

Committing & flipping so quickly is getting off on the wrong foot for a kid, IMO. But no ill will and wish him the best. A whole lot of people put a heap of pressure on kids like their decisions have any bearing on our lives whatsoever.

When McGraw tweeted about the flip he included "Recent events have led me to re-evaluate my opportunities and take a closer look at some great programs."

Am I reading too much into it that the "recent events" could be that the staff is making headway with some of the other highly ranked DEs?

Committing & flipping so quickly is getting off on the wrong foot for a kid, IMO. But no ill will and wish him the best. A whole lot of people put a heap of pressure on kids like their decisions have any bearing on our lives whatsoever.

It was Hagen and the S&C coaches leaving that he's referencing.

It was Hagen and the S&C coaches leaving that he's referencing.

It seems the new DL coach is solid and hard to argue an NFL S/C coach is not about as good as it gets. If those were his actual relationships, so be it. But I worry when kids are that easy to flip how solid the committment actually was.

If IU keeps doing what it's been doing, recruiting will take care of itself.

The easy go to by someone butt hurt. Sorry the kid wants to play big time football.
It's an easy go to because your guy engaged in some butt hurting. Learn to live with it . . . it's a fact.

On top of that, y'all couldn't figure out how to get Tommy Stevens on the field. He had to go to Mississippi State to get a shot . . . and despite that the PSU coaching staff couldn't figure out how to use him, Nawlins still thinks he's professional grade talent . . .

. . . let's see if McGraw makes the field in College Station . . . .

I think it is more like he just got a better offer. Which is what it is a better offer until we can start beating them. And playing in front of 100,000 as opposed to 35-40,000.

I think it is more like he just got a better offer. Which is what it is a better offer until we can start beating them. And playing in front of 100,000 as opposed to 35-40,000.
Better offer is an incredibly subjective term. Is it better simply because they have won games against us and have more fans? Ok. It is a better offer if he gets the Tommy Stevens treatment and rarely sees the field? Is it a better offer if he's just a random dude on the sideline rather than a home state favorite? Is it a better offer if he fails to graduate for whatever reason? Is it a better offer if he has thoughts of returning to this state in the future?

Better offer is an incredibly subjective term. Is it better simply because they have won games against us and have more fans? Ok. It is a better offer if he gets the Tommy Stevens treatment and rarely sees the field? Is it a better offer if he's just a random dude on the sideline rather than a home state favorite? Is it a better offer if he fails to graduate for whatever reason? Is it a better offer if he has thoughts of returning to this state in the future?
I agree but if I were a top recruit today and got an offer from State Pen I would seriously consider it. The Whiteout is a really cool thing. Playing in front of 100,000 people would be cool. But I would much rather be in Bloomington and play for Tom Allen. However I am not a17 or 18 year old kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT