ADVERTISEMENT

McGraw flipped to Penn State

You’re wrong. He was the 1st commit and it happened before anybody had left other then Deboer.
That is what I was asking but I think Hagen gets a little too much credit. I do believe he was a decent recruiter but was not overly impressed with d line play. Never really developed a great pass rusher. Don’t think d line did a great job of escaping blocks. I am hoping that it was truly coaching and I hope Coach Peoples is able to fix some of these issues. As far as strength guys I am also happy to see that IU got a guy who was recommended by old guys and is well respected by the NFL. It says a lot about a guy who is hired by 3 different staffs. Finally agree with sentiment of others and I want guys who want to be Hoosiers.

I agree but if I were a top recruit today and got an offer from State Pen I would seriously consider it. The Whiteout is a really cool thing. Playing in front of 100,000 people would be cool. But I would much rather be in Bloomington and play for Tom Allen. However I am not a17 or 18 year old kid.
I can only say that I've been to State College twice, once for a football game and once during the summer. It's a beautiful spot of country and a super fun party town. And the stadium gets absolutely rocking and the student section with the block S looks pretty cool.

But it doesn't have anything on Bloomington. With the upgrades to Memorial stadium making it a bowl, even being smaller, if IU can fill it out and get it going for big games. So I guess improving the stadium experience for players is the next big step for IU to be able to make some more headway. Gotta start winning against the big 3 at least some times.

That is what I was asking but I think Hagen gets a little too much credit. I do believe he was a decent recruiter but was not overly impressed with d line play. Never really developed a great pass rusher. Don’t think d line did a great job of escaping blocks. I am hoping that it was truly coaching and I hope Coach Peoples is able to fix some of these issues. As far as strength guys I am also happy to see that IU got a guy who was recommended by old guys and is well respected by the NFL. It says a lot about a guy who is hired by 3 different staffs. Finally agree with sentiment of others and I want guys who want to be Hoosiers.

The nicest thing that can be said about Hagen’s recruiting skills are that when he was at Purdue he was in charge of Tiller’s best in state recruiting and when he was at Indiana Purdue generally struggled against IU for many instate recruits.

The nicest thing that can be said about Hagen’s recruiting skills are that when he was at Purdue he was in charge of Tiller’s best in state recruiting and when he was at Indiana Purdue generally struggled against IU for many instate recruits.
Sounds like you're calling Hagen a mercenary . . . I'm shocked.

BTW, do you think he'll hit his contacts in Indiana for a few DL for Texas? Or has leaving the state left his contacts here dried up?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Sounds like you're calling Hagen a mercenary . . . I'm shocked.

BTW, do you think he'll hit his contacts in Indiana for a few DL for Texas? Or has leaving the state left his contacts here dried up?

No, I was just calling it the way I saw it. In the state of Indiana I thought Mark demonstrated he was a challenging recruiter no matter who he was representing, I seldom heard anybody who knew him criticize his recruiting talents and he was highly respected.

No, I was just calling it the way I saw it. In the state of Indiana I thought Mark demonstrated he was a challenging recruiter no matter who he was representing, I seldom heard anybody who knew him criticize his recruiting talents and he was highly respected.
I do believe he can recruit. My issue is with the technique part. I know it is hard to develop a great pass rusher but I can not remember having any in his time here. Also I do not believe the d line does a very good job of escaping blocks. I do not think they have been all that great at defending the run and being in their fits. They to me were very inconsistent. I do not want to sound like I am just bashing Coach Hagen because he left not my intent I am sure he got a nice raise and a chance to be reunited with his family. I am hoping that Coach People’s can come in and fix this.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13

You're entitled to think that about Hagen, but I'd disagree. He was a top notch recruiter and a main reason behind why McGraw chose IU in the 1st place. Just look at the DE's and DT's that have been added since Hagen came back for his 2nd stint. Sio, Person, Lewis, Whitner (DT's), Robbins, Passmore, Murphy, & Mayal (DE's) have all come in the last 2 classes. I'm not giving Hagen all the credit for all 8 of those guys, but I will say our Dline is being left in a much better position than it was when Hagen got here. In both talent and depth. Feel free to knock his coaching, but his recruiting was always his strength IMO. McGraw also specifically called out their relationship in his interview with Rivals about why he flipped to PSU:

Last edited:
You're entitled to think that about Hagen, but I'd disagree. He was a top notch recruiter and a main reason behind why McGraw chose IU in the 1st place. Just look at the DE's and DT's that have been added since Hagen came back for his 2nd stint. Sio, Person, Lewis, Whitner (DT's), Robbins, Passmore, Murphy, & Mayal (DE's) have all come in the last 2 classes. I'm not giving Hagen all the credit for all 8 of those guys, but I will say our Dline is being left in a much better position than it was when Hagen got here. In both talent and depth. Feel free to knock his coaching, but his recruiting was always his strength IMO. McGraw also specifically called out their relationship in his interview with Rivals about why he flipped to PSU:

Not disputing his ability to recruit. But in his time here In has not been able mount much of a rush with just 4 man pressures. Also don't think they are necessarily great against the run. Maybe it is just youth. Hopefully age, strength and technique do make a big difference.

Not disputing his ability to recruit. But in his time here In has not been able mount much of a rush with just 4 man pressures. Also don't think they are necessarily great against the run. Maybe it is just youth. Hopefully age, strength and technique do make a big difference.

Well, that's not what you originally posted, but whatever. It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. We are in a much better position talent wise across the front 4 now than we were when Hagen got here. Just look at the Dlinemen we've got now compared to what we had when Hagen came back to IU. We didn't have anybody on the roster with the upside that Lewis has for example. Hopefully Peoples can get these talented kids to become high level players. Hagen left him with a nicely stocked Dline group.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT