ADVERTISEMENT

Matta and Woodson

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Matta was in Bloomington to watch his old assistant that coaches Ohio. My source wouldn't say if he interviewed for the IU job, but said Mike Woodson was interviewed.

I got the feeling my source wasn't telling me all they knew about Matta. Not sure if it is because he turned us down emphatically or there is an offer pending or in the works.

Matta was in Bloomington to watch his old assistant that coaches Ohio. My source wouldn't say if he interviewed for the IU job, but said Mike Woodson was interviewed.

I got the feeling my source wasn't telling me all they knew about Matta. Not sure if it is because he turned us down emphatically or there is an offer pending or in the works.
The new coach will not have to be interviewed.

What? Explain how that works. Do we just send contracts out and wait for an answer?
Many sports figures let their agents handle almost everything.

maxresdefault.jpg

In Matta's case, I'd sure want to interview him near the end of negotiations before hiring him, just to see if his back let him do things like, you know, walk, stand up, stand on his feet at a reception for more than 10.2 seconds, pick up his pen from the floor, tie his own shoes, etc.

Coach K didn't get a sidelines high chair until he'd proven himself.

Reactions: uncleter
Many sports figures let their agents handle almost everything.

maxresdefault.jpg

In Matta's case, I'd sure want to interview him near the end of negotiations before hiring him, just to see if his back let him do things like, you know, walk, stand up, stand on his feet at a reception for more than 10.2 seconds, pick up his pen from the floor, tie his own shoes, etc.

Coach K didn't get a sidelines high chair until he'd proven himself.
I’ve been in some pretty big agent-led negotiations and you usually put they offer on the table first, the hard numbers, any details. If they are interested, they’ll engage. And the agents handle it. The top dogs don’t really do much interviewing. They don’t have to. They know they can have the gig if they want it.

In Matta’s case... I’d put a full physical as part of the initial offer. Everything else contingent on the results of that. People like Brad... Beard... it truly is “show me the money”... and then I might bless you with a convo. Maybe through my agent first. IU needs them more than they need IU.

my sources say everyone's sources are full of crap and simply want people to think they’re important and actually in the loop on these decisions.

He knows something but won’t come out with it, I think!
It will be interesting if we hire a coach before Baylor and Texas Tech exit the tournament, I would take Beard or Drew or but I think they like where they are and have no reason to leave. Dolson may already know that.

I expect to be surprised, We will probably hire someone mentioned, but not someone we expected, That is why you interview people. Interviewing allows you to determine if they are going to be a good fit.

Reactions: Radio Zero
It will be interesting if we hire a coach before Baylor and Texas Tech exit the tournament, I would take Beard or Drew or but I think they like where they are and have no reason to leave. Dolson may already know that.

I expect to be surprised, We will probably hire someone mentioned, but not someone we expected, That is why you interview people. Interviewing allows you to determine if they are going to be a good fit.
There ain’t gonna be no interview. That just does not happen in this case. And if so, who in the hell would do it?

I wonder what to think about the sources who were saying BS was a sure thing about two days ago! Hmmm ...

Because the people who were passing along their info have started posting more insider information again,
Who were the sources that correctly forecast Archie Miller the last time? Anyone know? Can prove it?

Do you know it to be true and the case - if not, why do you keep phrasing it like a certainty! Everybody just wants to know HOW you know THIS.
Just give me one good reason why there would have to be in interview with someone who you think that is already the best qualified person for the job?. And as said before by an intelligent poster the process goes through other channels these days

Just give me one good reason why there would have to be in interview with someone who you think that is already the best qualified person for the job?. And as said before by an intelligent poster the process goes through other channels these days
No YOU give me one good reason - you’re the one on trial here!!!

Like fun you’re not.
You come on here blowing about there’s not going to be an interview and won’t answer a damn question that anybody asks about how you know this.
At no point did I say that I know that. You’re the one that seems to know everything. It just doesn’t make sense that there would have to be an interview. If the decision is already made. And I believe it is. I

At no point did I say that I know that. You’re the one that seems to know everything. It just doesn’t make sense that there would have to be an interview. If the decision is already made. And I believe it is. I
Exactly you didn’t say that. You just said there is no interview for this job. How do you explain that? Have you ever worked for a job that you actually didn’t have to interview? Absurd!

Exactly you didn’t say that. You just said there is no interview for this job. How do you explain that? Have you ever worked for a job that you actually didn’t have to interview? Absurd!
In his defense, I didn't interview for my current job. We just worked out the money, responsibilities and the start date.

To be honest I never had to interview for a job in my life. I’m sure you will not believe that but it is the truth. I’m 72 years old, a Hanover College graduate, Army veteran and successful business person. Retired now and enjoying the winter in Florida. Getting ready to return to my nice home in Scottsburg Indiana. I hope you have a good life

Reactions: Radio Zero
I’ve been in some pretty big agent-led negotiations and you usually put they offer on the table first, the hard numbers, any details. If they are interested, they’ll engage. And the agents handle it. The top dogs don’t really do much interviewing. They don’t have to. They know they can have the gig if they want it.

In Matta’s case... I’d put a full physical as part of the initial offer. Everything else contingent on the results of that. People like Brad... Beard... it truly is “show me the money”... and then I might bless you with a convo. Maybe through my agent first. IU needs them more than they need IU.
A full physical? They’re not signing a free agent. Any meeting / interview with TM would include a candid conversation regarding his health and ability to again face the rigors of a full season of coaching, plus everything that goes into recruiting. This isn’t a guessing game. These people are professionals and would have an open and honest dialogue regarding issues like the one that drove Matta out of the profession several years ago.

Last edited:
To be honest I never had to interview for a job in my life. I’m sure you will not believe that but it is the truth. I’m 72 years old, a Hanover College graduate, Army veteran and successful business person. Retired now and enjoying the winter in Florida. Getting ready to return to my nice home in Scottsburg Indiana. I hope you have a good life
Hanover is where Woody Harrelson went to college!

Reactions: brianiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT