ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter

Similar somewhat but Tiller was much more successful IMO. Mallory had 6 losing seasons during his iu tenure while Tiller only had 2. Mallory's record was 69-77-3 while Tiller's was 87-62. Purdue was consistently in the top 25 during his tenure while IU wasn't. I think they're comparable but Purdue was much closer to breaking through to that next level than IU IMO.
Tiller wasn't much more successful. Mallory's tenure was bookended by his crappiest seasons, while Tiller hit the ground running. Take away Mallory's first two and last two seasons, and he was 60-46, winning percentage of .566. Tiller straight up was 87-62, winning percentage of .583. Tiller did go to a few more bowl games, including a Rose Bowl. Tiller was ranked more, but finished 7 of 12 seasons unranked.

Both programs needed another successful coach to follow them and more resources to get to the next level.

Tiller wasn't much more successful. Mallory's tenure was bookended by his crappiest seasons, while Tiller hit the ground running. Take away Mallory's first two and last two seasons, and he was 60-46, winning percentage of .566. Tiller straight up was 87-62, winning percentage of .583. Tiller did go to a few more bowl games, including a Rose Bowl.

So we can pick and choose which years to take out? Take out Tiller's only two losing seasons and he'd be 78-38 for a winning percentage of .619. Tiller took over after Purdue went 3-8 with little depth and talent and immediately won 9 games. It's not like he took over for a program on solid footing. Mallory was a solid coach but he wasn't on Tiller's level. We were consistently a top 25 team throughout the majority of the Tiller years. How often was IU ranked during the Mallory years?

Reactions: Ewezrfan1
So we can pick and choose which years to take out? Take out Tiller's only two losing seasons and he'd be 78-38 for a winning percentage of .619. Tiller took over after Purdue went 3-8 with little depth and talent and immediately won 9 games. It's not like he took over for a program on solid footing. Mallory was a solid coach but he wasn't on Tiller's level. We were consistently a top 25 team throughout the majority of the Tiller years. How often was IU ranked during the Mallory years?
Bill Mallory had two successful stints in the MAC and one at Colorado. He went undefeated one year at Miami. Mallory was a damn good coach.

Tiller went 4-8 his last season and was done as a coach: I would bet the farm he would have had similar seasons had he stuck around. I won't give Tiller credit for bowing out one year sooner than Bill. I'll will give props to Tiller for hitting the ground running. I can tell you Mallory inherited next to nothing when he arrived at IU. I don't exactly know what PU's roster was like when Tiller arrived: you say it wasn't much, ok.

Nobody is disputing Tiller had a little better run than Mallory, it just isn't the roided up juggernaut that PU fans "remember." Perhaps when this is the crown jewel of your athletic department, memories improve the reality.

Don't care. Beating Purdue at anything related to basketball is a low importance expectation barely worthy of thought, and certainly not a goal or measure of success.

Purdue is beneath us.
Laughable. Better start beating them again soon.

These simple points are important. I won't even argue whether or not IU is a national power/relevant. But, if IU is not those things, then what the hell is Purdue, exactly? Aggressively mediocre and nationally forgettable.
And yet they were in the Big Dance while Iu was in the NIT. They were ranked at the end and IU wasn't.

So the Sampson years are on par with Purdue's final four teams, the Hummel team, and Big Dog? Got it

2 years of Sampson? Talk about a small sample size. He's referencing since 2000... after knight's firing. He's not far off either as we do have a national title game appearance since Knight. Hopefully Archie can get us out of this hole. What the hell did Hummel's team win? They never made it past a SW16 and PU fans talk as if they were one of the best PU teams assembled. At least Big dog got to an E8. spare me the injury excuse too. IU would possibly have 2 more titles (Henderson & May, throw in Coverdale for a 3rd) if not for injuries but we don't make excuses about it. Not trying to be a bag, but I think we view success differently.

Last edited:
2 years of Sampson? Talk about a small sample size. He's referencing since 2000... after knight's firing. He's not far off either as we do have a national title game appearance since Knight. Hopefully Archie can get us out of this hole. What the hell did Hummel's team win? They never made it past a SW16 and PU fans talk as if they were one of the best PU teams assembled. At least Big dog got to an E8. spare me the injury excuse too. IU would possibly have 2 more titles (Henderson & May, throw in Coverdale for a 3rd) if not for injuries but we don't make excuses about it. Not trying to be a bag, but I think we view success differently.

Didn't realize he was talking since 2000.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Many people who aren't very knowledgeable in basketball always reference not making past the Sweet 16 with the baby boilers. Remember, we had 3 tournaments without a Scott Martin and 2 without Robbie. If I took 2 top 75 guys out of anyones squad a sweet 16 would be have been a great job. Wake up and be realistic not just a homer!

Many people who aren't very knowledgeable in basketball always reference not making past the Sweet 16 with the baby boilers. Remember, we had 3 tournaments without a Scott Martin and 2 without Robbie. If I took 2 top 75 guys out of anyones squad a sweet 16 would be have been a great job. Wake up and be realistic not just a homer!

Knowledgeable? You act like this is only a PU issue. Most major programs can use this same excuse. What did they accomplish? IU lost a first round draft pick last year and our glue guy in Hartman but do you see us making an excuse? The "movement" (Yogi) that is mocked by PU fans (& IU fans to an extent) has 2 big titles and 2 SW16 under their belt. Give us a break with the injury crap. Go win something then come back and talk. The PU vacuum is very much alive.

Last edited:
Knowledgeable? You act like this is only a PU issue. Most major programs can use this same excuse. What did they accomplish? IU lost a first round draft pick last year and our glue guy in Hartman but do you see us making an excuse? The "movement" (Yogi) that is mocked by PU fans (& IU fans to an extent) has 2 big titles and 2 SW16 under their belt. Give us a break with the injury crap. Go win something then come back and talk. The PU vacuum is very much alive.
Go win? The number 1 team in the country made it to the sweet 16 with 2 of the top 4 draft picks. Talk about underachieving. Considered one of the most underachieving teams ever.

Reactions: Ewezrfan1
Go win? The number 1 team in the country made it to the sweet 16 with 2 of the top 4 draft picks. Talk about underachieving. Considered one of the most underachieving teams ever.

Agree and you made my point. Do IU fans call that team one of our greatest teams? No. Go win then you can talk. :)

Last edited:
Agree and you made my point. Do IU fans call that team one of our greatest teams? No. Go win then you can talk. :)
So true. I believe Hulls had a separated shoulder or something during that Syracuse loss, which significantly impacted his shooting ability. The best 3-point shooter on the team... in a game where we got killed by a zone D. Hhmmm. That was one of the most disappointing losses of the Crean era, and most IU fans will rightly admit that the team got outplayed and outcoached, not that "well our best shooter got hurt, so who knows what would have happened if we were at full strength"... i.e. IU fans take a much more 'no excuses' approach. Results matter.

Conversely, there's a thread on GBI seemingly every over month discussing how many FFs and/or championships they'd have if not for injuries. Attention Purdue fans - injuries happen to every team! It sucks, and it's certainly a valid reason for underachieving, IF we're talking about any 1 given year. Over the long term though, it's a non-factor; it's balanced out by every other teams' injuries. It's not a valid excuse for not making a FF in nearly 40 years. Purdue has had great success in the B1G over its history, but is a perennial underachiever at a national level. Why that is, I don't know... but I know it ain't injuries. If Purdue could assemble a team that was a legitimate contender more than once every 20 years, the injuries wouldn't stand out so much.

So true. I believe Hulls had a separated shoulder or something during that Syracuse loss, which significantly impacted his shooting ability. The best 3-point shooter on the team... in a game where we got killed by a zone D. Hhmmm. That was one of the most disappointing losses of the Crean era, and most IU fans will rightly admit that the team got outplayed and outcoached, not that "well our best shooter got hurt, so who knows what would have happened if we were at full strength"... i.e. IU fans take a much more 'no excuses' approach. Results matter.

Conversely, there's a thread on GBI seemingly every over month discussing how many FFs and/or championships they'd have if not for injuries. Attention Purdue fans - injuries happen to every team! It sucks, and it's certainly a valid reason for underachieving, IF we're talking about any 1 given year. Over the long term though, it's a non-factor; it's balanced out by every other teams' injuries. It's not a valid excuse for not making a FF in nearly 40 years. Purdue has had great success in the B1G over its history, but is a perennial underachiever at a national level. Why that is, I don't know... but I know it ain't injuries. If Purdue could assemble a team that was a legitimate contender more than once every 20 years, the injuries wouldn't stand out so much.
Exactly lol

Scott May and Allan Henderson says hello because without those two injuries we might have 7 banners

Scott May and Allan Henderson says hello because without those two injuries we might have 7 banners

That's what he is saying... we don't make excuses. :)
(Sad part it cost us a possible back to back undefeated seasons... but we got it in 76. Now let's stop making excuses lol)

Last edited:

The only thing that stopped Hulls that game was Syracuse. He had trouble getting off shots. The short guards (Yogi too) had major problems with that. I would have loved to have both of them on Purdue's team but that defense stifled them. I still think Crean should have tried Able and Oladipo at guard to offset the size advantage. I told my son a minute and a half into the second half IU wasn't winning that game because Crean had made no adjustments. IU had more talent.

The only thing that stopped Hulls that game was Syracuse. He had trouble getting off shots. The short guards (Yogi too) had major problems with that. I would have loved to have both of them on Purdue's team but that defense stifled them. I still think Crean should have tried Able and Oladipo at guard to offset the size advantage. I told my son a minute and a half into the second half IU wasn't winning that game because Crean had made no adjustments. IU had more talent.

Another example why Crean is gone. Hulls did have a sep shoulder. He said he could not lift his arm above his head before tip. Hulls said we don't make excuses, we just got beat.

Reactions: tkejones
The only thing that stopped Hulls that game was Syracuse. He had trouble getting off shots.
No, he really did have a separated/dislocated shoulder (whatever the appropriate medical term is). Hulls had range out to 30+ feet and a green light to fire ... I don't think a taller defender standing at the elbow was the "only thing" that gave him trouble that day. But I agree with you on Crean's deficiencies, which is why IU finally told him to find new employment. Standards, not excuses.

Reactions: Hoogolf
No, he really did have a separated/dislocated shoulder (whatever the appropriate medical term is). Hulls had range out to 30+ feet and a green light to fire ... I don't think a taller defender standing at the elbow was the "only thing" that gave him trouble that day. But I agree with you on Crean's deficiencies, which is why IU finally told him to find new employment. Standards, not excuses.
He hurt his shoulder against Temple and even if he was 100% against Syracuse we would have still lost.

Glenn Robinson had a pulled back muscle playing against Duke in an Elite 8 had his worst game as a Purdue boilermaker

And Scott May broke his arm and Alan Henderson was hurt blah blah....

All schools have 10 pretend national championships.....

PU has like 80 of them.

Ahem....in my best Pete Quinn voice....

They lost all 80 because there were other teams in the tournament or they themselves were not in it. PU is undefeated in tournaments where they are in it and other teams are not.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Excuses, excuses. Alan Henderson stays healthy or Teddy V isn't the ref against Duke and IU has another. Scott May stays healthy and IU has 2 undefeated seasons in a row. Kent Benson doesn't run Bird out of town.....Cov doesn't get injured.... When was Purdue's last final 4 team, again? Well before the tourney expanded to 64 and we'll before Keady. When was Purdue's last nationally successful season? Elite 8 for Robinson? The vast majority of Purdue's "great" teams were pre-WW2. Your national championship game every year is when you play IU, and the reason your students chant "IU sucks" even when losing to a team like North Florida, is because they have nothing else to look forward to. That said, I will give you they look to have a solid team this year. Looks like they could win one in the tourney, if the turnovers and horrible clock management don't lead to the normal upset. Purdue, underachieving since pre WW2. All joking aside, I do hope both teams have solid seasons and our game is reasonably competitive, but you should be worried about IU stealing 2 of Purdue's top targets from the northern part of the state (and the same town for one). Hope for no major injuries for either team (never like seeing anyone get hurt).

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Does PU actually have an athletic program. Maybe they should stick to their strengths and just do livestock judging and Battle Bots.

pAPcsCB.gif

Does PU actually have an athletic program. Maybe they should stick to their strengths and just do livestock judging and Battle Bots.
Now that's unfair. Purdue is also very good at concrete canoe racing.

Id just like to say, that I put a huge Loogie on Matt Painters parking spot today after working at their new facility. Missed the bathroom urinal a little bit on purpose too! ;D

I shoulda video taped their pukie football practice also but that woulda been too noticeable!

ADVERTISEMENT