ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada Article

He would probably do very well and we could certainly do much worse than Matt Canada! He wasn't my favorite OC years ago, mainly because of a game up at Northwestern that I thought he totally blew. That loss stuck with me and I held him responsible.

I'm sure he is twice the coach as he was before, experience means something! I want a good coach who wants to be here...Continuity is what it's called. These coaches today have zero loyalty, nada, zip, zilch. It's all about promotion and chasing a dollar, damn.

He would probably do very well and we could certainly do much worse than Matt Canada! He wasn't my favorite OC years ago, mainly because of a game up at Northwestern that I thought he totally blew. That loss stuck with me and I held him responsible.

I'm sure he is twice the coach as he was before, experience means something! I want a good coach who wants to be here...Continuity is what it's called. These coaches today have zero loyalty, nada, zip, zilch. It's all about promotion and chasing a dollar, damn.

When assistants are fired on a whim because a head needs to roll so the HC can keep their job, loyalty is a hard thing to manage sometimes.

Coaching is fickle, and sometimes you need take the paycheck while it’s there, opportunities can dry up quickly

When assistants are fired on a whim because a head needs to roll so the HC can keep their job, loyalty is a hard thing to manage sometimes.

Coaching is fickle, and sometimes you need take the paycheck while it’s there, opportunities can dry up quickly
I understand your sentiment, and I don't care for it. Everybody is looking out for their own ass, bottom line.

College football coaching comes off as extremely selfish. Jerk your kids and family around the countryside in pursuit of your career and the almighty dollar. It's all about YOU...what a selfish profession at the end of the day. That's just my take, but it's got merit.

Reactions: DANC
Matt Canada apparently will not be heading to Pitt either to reunite with Narduzzi. The word is that Pitt is going with Mark Whipple, ex-UMASS coach.

think Matt's real interest is in the NIU gig

He might just find himself disappointed. Hammock sounds like he might have the inside track for the Northern Illinois job to me...

Canada would be a nice fit at another "Offensive Analyst" spot if he finds himself without a seat in this high stakes game of "musical chairs"...;)

He might just find himself disappointed. Hammock sounds like he might have the inside track for the Northern Illinois job to me...
Yup he is not garnering to much attention. Kind of funny IYAM. He was not at the top of my lists. Wonder whatever happened to Werner OR if he was even considered?

The fact that this is taking some time is not bothering me. CTA has probably considered alot of options at this point and it tells me he is really looking for the right fit.

Yup he is not garnering to much attention. Kind of funny IYAM. He was not at the top of my lists. Wonder whatever happened to Werner OR if he was even considered?

The fact that this is taking some time is not bothering me. CTA has probably considered alot of options at this point and it tells me he is really looking for the right fit.

I agree. Imagine if you had a fan board judging your process in buying a house. "He said he wanted a 4-BR house but may have to settle for a 3-BR condo." No one would know what's going on with your family, your possible job changes, that you hate doing yardwork, etc.

That rough analogy is: I'm betting Tom Allen is NOT pursuing this out of FEAR, but rather out of "I'll know the right fit when I see it/feel it" and is indeed staying patient and may in fact have someone in mind that is in a job or possibly up for a HC, but if doesn't get it, would want IU OC role and Allen is willing to wait.

Not going to lie, I'm dying to know and can't wait to see who it is and how the rest of the staff shakes out (as wondering if special teams has any changes, etc.) But until we see a "collective bust choice" made, I'm going to give benefit of the doubt to Allen. S/C coaches didn't disappoint. And per Womack, it was obviously based on comfort and belief he's ready, and he may indeed be a rising DC star. We'll see.

I agree. Imagine if you had a fan board judging your process in buying a house. "He said he wanted a 4-BR house but may have to settle for a 3-BR condo." No one would know what's going on with your family, your possible job changes, that you hate doing yardwork, etc.

That rough analogy is: I'm betting Tom Allen is NOT pursuing this out of FEAR, but rather out of "I'll know the right fit when I see it/feel it" and is indeed staying patient and may in fact have someone in mind that is in a job or possibly up for a HC, but if doesn't get it, would want IU OC role and Allen is willing to wait.

Not going to lie, I'm dying to know and can't wait to see who it is and how the rest of the staff shakes out (as wondering if special teams has any changes, etc.) But until we see a "collective bust choice" made, I'm going to give benefit of the doubt to Allen. S/C coaches didn't disappoint. And per Womack, it was obviously based on comfort and belief he's ready, and he may indeed be a rising DC star. We'll see.
I agree with your post, although I'm not sure what you mean by "pursuing this out of FEAR." I can't see how or why he'd be acting out of fear.

Also, it's been only 16 days since DeBord announced his retirement, and the season didn't end for many teams until just a couple of weeks ago. The hiring process takes time, and it hasn't been going on for very long. This is a critical hire, and it's got to be deliberate.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
I agree with your post, although I'm not sure what you mean by "pursuing this out of FEAR." I can't see how or why he'd be acting out of fear.

Also, it's been only 16 days since DeBord announced his retirement, and the season didn't end for many teams until just a couple of weeks ago. The hiring process takes time, and it hasn't been going on for very long. This is a critical hire, and it's got to be deliberate.

There are people on the board who have made some assumptions that given all schools looking, if we haven't hired someone then there is a problem, people don't want to come to IU, or other types of aspersions.

I'm saying he's not acting out of fear (like "I have to get someone soon or it will look bad to fans") but rather being methodical and patient and waiting for the right hire. You & I may agree he's on a good path and will hire right person. But those saying he hasn't hired someone yet may insinuate that he then panic by hiring XYZ person or internal hire, etc." I think we'll get the right person.

My new theory I hope is right is a qualified person who'd love to come to IU "may still" have a HC offer that Allen would respect him taking, but if not, then comes to IU. We'd want someone of high quality who may be early in HC opportunities in career, giving it a shot, but would be a great pick up for IU.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018

There are people on the board who have made some assumptions that given all schools looking, if we haven't hired someone then there is a problem, people don't want to come to IU, or other types of aspersions.

I'm saying he's not acting out of fear (like "I have to get someone soon or it will look bad to fans") but rather being methodical and patient and waiting for the right hire. You & I may agree he's on a good path and will hire right person. But those saying he hasn't hired someone yet may insinuate that he then panic by hiring XYZ person or internal hire, etc." I think we'll get the right person.

My new theory I hope is right is a qualified person who'd love to come to IU "may still" have a HC offer that Allen would respect him taking, but if not, then comes to IU. We'd want someone of high quality who may be early in HC opportunities in career, giving it a shot, but would be a great pick up for IU.
There were also people on the board who were sure that CTA had a plan for Debord's replacement from the beginning and that certain recruits may have known as well. CTA also did say he wanted to make the hire sooner rather than later.

It's not wrong to speculate on why that hasn't come to pass. No one is bad mouthing Allen.

There were also people on the board who were sure that CTA had a plan for Debord's replacement from the beginning and that certain recruits may have known as well. CTA also did say he wanted to make the hire sooner rather than later.

It's not wrong to speculate on why that hasn't come to pass. No one is bad mouthing Allen.
Speculating in general by definition means you are guessing at things without having the actual information. There could be so many things involved you just don't know. I know why people do it, but in end, we'll know when we know and speculating is almost in same league as spreading rumors.

IndyIUFan66, I am not trying to cause issues, but I am confused. Is speculating bad or not bad? You say it is in the same league as spreading rumors, but two threads above you provide your "new theory" as to why the hire has not taken place yet. Isn't that a speculation as well? Am I missing something? To be clear, this is a message board and I have no problems with speculation, as long as it is labeled, explicitly or implicitly, as just that and not as fact.

Speculating in general by definition means you are guessing at things without having the actual information. There could be so many things involved you just don't know. I know why people do it, but in end, we'll know when we know and speculating is almost in same league as spreading rumors.

Not trying to pick a fight but speculation without having actual information is approximately 98% of the content of this board 24/7, 365... (of course that's just speculation;))...

Now if it's a constant drumbeat of full time "negative" speculation that a troll spews out with the intent to damage recruiting..., I'm fully against it..., but..., if it's just your garden variety "what if" stuff..., well..., without that type of content we'd be lucky to have three posts a month on here.

If you "need" a link attached backing up every comment made I'd suggest you consider the Water Cooler board (but you'll be disappointed if you think you'll find much less "speculation" over there)...:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT