ADVERTISEMENT

Mathew Bedford

IUPACERHORSE

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
Bedford is the most recent player on the Bleacher Report player countdown .... he got a lot of playing time last year after a Cronk went down .... Bedford was named the IU offensive newcomer player of the year by the team.

I remember watching his film when he signed and thinking “good player, great frame, moves well” ... but I did not see him as head and shoulders above many other lineman brought in over the years.

I find it incredible that the coaches can spot a future stud like Bedford when the film really isn’t much different then others. Cudos to coach Hillar and/or whoever found him. I hope this is a sign that our staff can both spot high end talent AND land it. The tides are turning in Bloomington.

we need a full line of Bedfords to start knocking off the PSUs, Wiskys, and Ohio States ... I think we are capable right now of taking down the Mich, MSUs, Iowa’s. Gotta have studs on the lines to play with the big boys.

Last edited:
IU is getting more and more quality linemen on both sides of the ball. I suspect the OL will be a surprise this season with Bedford and Jones anchoring the OT spots with Powell, Crider, and one of the following manning the interior Beery, Katic, or Nworah.

The defense has the DTs to excel with Johnson, Sio, Elliot, and now Lewis. The DEs have experience and talent they just need to explode this season to prove they can help the defense control offenses IU faces.

This could be a very good year for IU football.

Last edited:
What is the plan for the inevitable positive virus on the team?
Close?
Expand rosters so you can be sure and field a team?
Play anyway because the other team is also positive?

With no longer knowing if asymptomatic people are likely to pass it on, I think players without symptoms, play. Regardless. Just like this Texas and Clemson situation. 32 positive tests between both teams and not a single one has any symptoms.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
With no longer knowing if asymptomatic people are likely to pass it on, I think players without symptoms, play. Regardless. Just like this Texas and Clemson situation. 32 positive tests between both teams and not a single one has any symptoms.
I would bet that if one of the kids test positive then that kid will be quarantined. Then they would probably retest the whole team. I assume they are checking temps everyday anyway.

I would bet that if one of the kids test positive then that kid will be quarantined. Then they would probably retest the whole team. I assume they are checking temps everyday anyway.

Oh I agree they will. I just think as these teams report and the numbers show minimal to no symptoms on the kids testing positive, we may see there is no point to it. Not that it would change their approach but it is starting to feel a bit needless to quarantine them. Then again, I am not an epidemiologist so who knows. Heard immunity doesn't naturally make much sense in society but when these kids are in camps for a month, it might be exactly what should happen there.

You may be on to something. Today I read where a Italian doctor with copious experience with Covid-19 believes the virus is weakening in causing extreme, severe cases & death. Many elderly now with the virus are not so sick or on ventilators. He believes that the Covid could eventually die out.

You may be on to something. Today I read where a Italian doctor with copious experience with Covid-19 believes the virus is weakening in causing extreme, severe cases & death. Many elderly now with the virus are not so sick or on ventilators. He believes that the Covid could eventually die out.
How does a virus just weaken? Does it mutate when it passes to another person and so on and loses something each time?

We've got a lot of smart people working on this - I really thought they'd have more of a handle on it by now.

How does a virus just weaken? Does it mutate when it passes to another person and so on and loses something each time?

We've got a lot of smart people working on this - I really thought they'd have more of a handle on it by now.
Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical of that virus weakening thing too. Is this just some guy’s opinion or is there any science behind it?

Viruses mutate and we just don't know ahead of time which way the mutation will go. Viruses don't stay the same and often times they weaken because it takes a special virus to kill people as our bodies can build up antibodies if it isn't overwhelmed by the virus.

Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical of that virus weakening thing too. Is this just some guy’s opinion or is there any science behind it?
I guess I could see why the deadliest strain might not spread now, because roughly half the people who have died have been in some kind of senior care center. Those people weren't going to stores or out in public. So, many of those who were seriously ill didn't get a chance to spread it.

So, basically, the virus killed it's host without a chance of being spread.

I could buy that as a partial explanation. Because it evidently is really ineffective at killing anyone younger thand 60.

But I'm afraid the panic is going to continue because the news media freaks out over the case count. The case count means very little in certain age groups.

This is going off memory from an article I read a couple of weeks ago, so I may not be 100% accurate. But my understanding is, a group have been studying and monitoring the genetic makeup to track the virus mutations.

The latest couple of mutations have been slowly deleting part of it's genetic code. It is making itself weaker and as it continues to mutate. If it trends like it is now it will either become much less severe, or lose the ability to replicate and just disappear.

If I can find the article again I will post a link.

This is going off memory from an article I read a couple of weeks ago, so I may not be 100% accurate. But my understanding is, a group have been studying and monitoring the genetic makeup to track the virus mutations.

The latest couple of mutations have been slowly deleting part of it's genetic code. It is making itself weaker and as it continues to mutate. If it trends like it is now it will either become much less severe, or lose the ability to replicate and just disappear.

That is really good news if it can be verified.

In that same line of thought, saw someone say basically “the worst strain may not be passing along bc it sadly may have “died off” somewhat with all of the people who died in senior living facilities. As in what’s remained has been a weaker strain, not as Lethal. I don’t think kids (say under 25) have had too bad effects even testing positive. Which is why I’ve wondered if strategies of how to attack this needed tweaking, like more focus on quarantine & stricter precautions more for older & those with concerning conditions already.

Reactions: vesuvius13
In that same line of thought, saw someone say basically “the worst strain may not be passing along bc it sadly may have “died off” somewhat with all of the people who died in senior living facilities. As in what’s remained has been a weaker strain, not as Lethal. I don’t think kids (say under 25) have had too bad effects even testing positive. Which is why I’ve wondered if strategies of how to attack this needed tweaking, like more focus on quarantine & stricter precautions more for older & those with concerning conditions already.
Totally agree

I saw a COVID-19 survivor interview yesterday (TV). He mentioned concerns that he didn't want it again. Apparently a person can lose anti-bodies and get it again just like the flu. That is scary.
Go Hoosiers!

I saw a COVID-19 survivor interview yesterday (TV). He mentioned concerns that he didn't want it again. Apparently a person can lose anti-bodies and get it again just like the flu. That is scary.
Go Hoosiers!
I heard that as well.

I was thinking about getting it just to get it over with but when I read the same thing I kind of changed my mind.

I am over 50 but in shape and feel I could handle it and would rather choose my timing (period of isolation, etc.).

Wonder what a vaccine will do for you?

I heard that as well.

I was thinking about getting it just to get it over with but when I read the same thing I kind of changed my mind.

I am over 50 but in shape and feel I could handle it and would rather choose my timing (period of isolation, etc.).

Wonder what a vaccine will do for you?
Not sure about vaccines but I’m pretty sure we had it here in Mobile in November and December. One of my sons teammates was hospitalized with what they thought was pneumonia but it wasn’t. 17 year old high school athlete. Put him in hospital for two weeks. Nobody wants this.

Not sure about vaccines but I’m pretty sure we had it here in Mobile in November and December. One of my sons teammates was hospitalized with what they thought was pneumonia but it wasn’t. 17 year old high school athlete. Put him in hospital for two weeks. Nobody wants this.
...but it is pneumonia. Viral pneumonia.

This may be true. Lots of viruses do this.

I work with a police officer who got the virus and she is in great shape and she had it for 7 weeks and said it was miserable. Her wife had it and was gone in three days like a cold. This virus is so unpredictable I agree don’t think I want any part of it.

You don’t “lose Antibodies.” They can just become less effective. But once you have Antibodies, your immune system will always have a better response than if it’s a novel situation.

You don’t “lose Antibodies.” They can just become less effective. But once you have Antibodies, your immune system will always have a better response than if it’s a novel situation.

You do lose antibodies over time. Your body remembers how to make them and once the infection is recognized can quickly remake them so that you dont get as sick and can recover faster.

ADVERTISEMENT