ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at FedEx facility in Indy

I sort of know the feeling, my college friends were wildly successful. They have much nicer homes, routinely vacation to Europe or Asia. They take the upscale cruises. Pre-Covid we would get together several times a year. On occasion it just doesn't feel like I belong. And I do not make bad money especially for Indiana.
A lot of time I don't think a person know for sure whether others are wildly successful or not. They may give the appearance of being wildly successful but be wildly in debt. Since they are your friends you may have a better idea if the were or not. When out daughter was young and living at home she had a friend whose parents seem very successful but she said they hardly had any furniture in their house.

You can always hook up with @UncleMark at his trailer. 😁

Yeah she got duped. Latched onto a sugar daddy and by the end of the divorce was stuck with a Splenda daddy. Inertia has kept her around
Also, SUPER LEAGUE. wtf? I'm a Man Utd fan and I think the FA should kick them out of the association.

Also, SUPER LEAGUE. wtf? I'm a Man Utd fan and I think the FA should kick them out of the association.
Fascinating. Totally against it. And is the prez of Real Madrid the head of it? Absolutely evil. Will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

15 locked teams. 5 rotating. Billions per team guaranteed. JP Morgan backing it. Week night games

The threats from fifa and the leagues are huge

Fascinating. Totally against it. And is the prez of Real Madrid the head of it? Absolutely evil. Will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

15 locked teams. 5 rotating. Billions per team guaranteed. JP Morgan backing it. Week night games

The threats from fifa and the leagues are huge
It's quite a power play. Early on it looks like Bayern is going to stay out. Ballsy if this move forward.

A lot of time I don't think a person know for sure whether others are wildly successful or not. They may give the appearance of being wildly successful but be wildly in debt.
It's also a question of priorities. I live in a modest 2,300 square foot 30 year old home and drive cars bought in 2003 and 2013. We don't take many splashy trips or have outward extravangances. Yet we paid in full for undergraduate education for 3 kids, two at Ivy league universities. They graduated with honors, debt free. We have also saved pretty well for retirement. We could easily have decided to live high on the hog, saddle kids with debt, and live it up. But we opted otherwise. I'm happy with that. We will splurge in retirement. The only downside is that you really never know what's going to happen, healthwise. My brother was also frugal and was ready to live it up and enjoy retirement, but he died of a heart attack at 60.

It's also a question of priorities. I live in a modest 2,300 square foot 30 year old home and drive cars bought in 2003 and 2013. We don't take many splashy trips or have outward extravangances. Yet we paid in full for undergraduate education for 3 kids, two at Ivy league universities. They graduated with honors, debt free. We have also saved pretty well for retirement. We could easily have decided to live high on the hog, saddle kids with debt, and live it up. But we opted otherwise. I'm happy with that. We will splurge in retirement. The only downside is that you really never know what's going to happen, healthwise. My brother was also frugal and was ready to live it up and enjoy retirement, but he died of a heart attack at 60.
That's kind of the way we lived also (except only one kid). I was able to retire at 53 and my wife at 51 so we've got to enjoy our retirement so far.

F/U at the heart of what’s evil is the insulation of “the founding 15.” A euro super league where teams got promoted/relegated from their domestic leagues would be cool. We all want to see the powerhouses play each other more often

F/U at the heart of what’s evil is the insulation of “the founding 15.” A euro super league where teams got promoted/relegated from their domestic leagues would be cool. We all want to see the powerhouses play each other more often
I think they are just trying to pressure UEFA to change the CL and maybe consider going back to something like the Cup Winner's Cup or similar. I bet we see some kind of "guaranteed" CL positions as a compromise, which is still shitty but better than having an entirely separate league.

The supreme Court refused to hear three cases where people received a lifetime ban on gun ownership for non violent crimes. So the bans are, for now, constitutional.

I am not sure a lifetime ban for DUI or tax fraud makes sense. It would for an offense using a gun or any violent offense up to and including insurrection.

I think they are just trying to pressure UEFA to change the CL and maybe consider going back to something like the Cup Winner's Cup or similar. I bet we see some kind of "guaranteed" CL positions as a compromise, which is still shitty but better than having an entirely separate league.
it'll be interesting for sure. these guys are already playing way too many games. maybe they'll opt out of some of the group league cl games or something. CL is interesting - it starts in summer with all the small league clubs playing each other. i have old college teammates that dropped out of college to play champion's league on one of these small clubs that play in the very early stages. wild stuff. there's no other sport where the top players in the world may end up playing guys who play part time

Last edited:
The supreme Court refused to hear three cases where people received a lifetime ban on gun ownership for non violent crimes. So the bans are, for now, constitutional.

I am not sure a lifetime ban for DUI or tax fraud makes sense. It would for an offense using a gun or any violent offense up to and including insurrection.
gun offenses need excessive bonds (no 10%); no pleas; harsher sentences; and a pr campaign promoting same. it wouldn't do anything to deter the AR15 nut jobs but it would do a ton to reduce gang /recidivist gun violence

Last edited:

On college. When researching the proper amount to have in a 529 account, I came across this interesting negative concerning 529s - you get less financial aid. Yeah I know like ain’t fair and all, but it is humorous that your reward for saving for your kids college tuition is less financial aid. Especially when there is no analysis of what parents did with their money instead.

Reactions: outside shooter
it'll be interesting for sure. these guys are already playing way too many games. maybe they'll opt out of some of the group league cl games or something. CL is interesting - it starts in summer with all the small league clubs playing each other. i have old college teammates that dropped out of college to play champion's league on one of these small clubs that play in the very early stages. wild stuff. there's no other sport where the top players in the world may end up playing guys who play part time
I used to work with a guy in the mid 2000's who played at Lindsay Wilson in KY (NAIA). He swore they would have run circles around high major D1 programs. Said the entire roster was foreigners. He was from Trinidad. Apparently got a sniff with the national team. Asked him about MLS and readily admitted he didn't have teh motivation for it. Dude was like 6'4" and athletic. Don't know what happened to him since

I used to work with a guy in the mid 2000's who played at Lindsay Wilson in KY (NAIA). He swore they would have run circles around high major D1 programs. Said the entire roster was foreigners. He was from Trinidad. Apparently got a sniff with the national team. Asked him about MLS and readily admitted he didn't have teh motivation for it. Dude was like 6'4" and athletic. Don't know what happened to him since
100 percent accurate. they would have. for a while lindsay wilson was an absolute powerhouse. we beat claudio reyna's virginia team. they were four time national champions. that same season we played a preseason game against what was then the college of boca raton. we lost. that naia team would have won the national championship in d1. they were better than virginia and all the other acc teams we played. they were also men. several of them had their wives and kids watching from the sidelines lol. That was the only non D1 team we ever played. And we didn’t do it again lol. anyway better not poison this thread with anymore soccer

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
The usual response. I’ll mark you down as not being a part of the solution.

And it's not even Memorial Day.

Solutions???? It's a fan message board. Good grief.......

Far too much in the way of social engineering and trampling of civil liberties for this to be solved by a couple of posts from one side or the other.

I'll give it a shot.

I think it's a good start to increase the financial consequences as suggested by McMurtry (who foolishly hates my guts for no reason, by the way). Immunity should be ended and civil liability should certainly be enhanced for gun manufacturers, but the civil liability for gun shows, retail gun dealers, and private citizens who sell guns improperly should also be increased. Those are extremely broad outlets for guns if not regulated better. Trading in guns is legal but should be better regulated to make it more difficult for guns to disappear into the tall grass of crime. Dealing in cars, real estate, cigarettes, pharmaceuticals, legal services, financial services and a bizillion other products is legal too but also highly regulated more than gun transactions.

It would also be helpful to increase the financial consequences to those who commit gun crimes. I believe there already are laws on the books that prohibit a criminal from profiting from the crime, i.e., providing for example that a murderer who kills his wife and kids has automatically forfeited his rights to the profits from any books, movies etc. about that crime he would otherwise receive. That's a straightforward property forfeiture. There should also be laws that hold a gun criminal has forfeited his rights to transfer property to his loved ones by committing gun crimes and causing financial harm to others. Hole killed eight people and wounded five others -- that's a lot of financial damage he caused others. But, so far as I know, nothing prevents Hole's relatives from inheriting whatever property, accounts, vehicles etc. or life insurance he may have while little or nothing goes to the families of his victims. I believe something like this is already the law in countries afflicted by chronic terrorism, to prevent the families of terrorists from being rewarded by the terrorism organizers. Murderers like Hole should know in advance that their families are going to suffer financial consequences from his acts -- just like his victims.

Civil liability can be effective, i.e., see People v. The Klan. Our efforts should not end with these suggestions.
Not foolishly, not for no reason. It’s well deserved.

Ending up in long term care will take everything you've got too.
so sad and true. i'll never forget when we visited my grandma for her birthday in the nursing home. it was on top of a massive, massive hill with a nice view. all these wheel chairs were lined up on the patio deck. i told my dad that i'm going to take him there one day. he looked at me and goes "when you do put me in that wheel chair and just roll me down that hill."

so sad and true. i'll never forget when we visited my grandma for her birthday in the nursing home. it was on top of a massive, massive hill with a nice view. all these wheel chairs were lined up on the patio deck. i told my dad that i'm going to take him there one day. he looked at me and goes "when you do put me in that wheel chair and just roll me down that hill."
Truth be told, way too many people are living way longer than they should.

Looks like IU and ND will be playing home and home in 2030 and 2031. I'd like to see that before I go, but anything beyond that will be gravy.

Looks like IU and ND will be playing home and home in 2030 and 2031. I'd like to see that before I go, but anything beyond that will be gravy.
Stay active

Stay active
Climbing in and out of the little delivery Honda and lugging stuff into shops for several hours a day isn't much, but I can feel it and at least I'm not laying around the house or sitting on the deck the whole time.

I did a lot of physical work in my earlier years, and even in the last thirty or so was on my feet and active a lot of the time while doing mostly administrative stuff. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Glad to see Zeke Emanuel make an appearance at the Water Cooler.....

Some interesting developments on Mr. Hole, with regards to his family's attempt to have the police intervene. Turns out there may have been a white Supremacist element to his general craziness and potential for violence...

"After speaking with the mother, police officers went to the family's home and placed Hole in handcuffs. Hole, who was 18 at the time, "became immediately anxious" and told the officers, "Please just turn the power strip off on my computer ... I don't want anyone to see what's on it," according to the report. One of the officers went upstairs to seize the shotgun and "observed what through his training and experience indicated was white supremist (sic) websites" on Hole's computer, the report said.

PHOTO: The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has released an undated image of Brandon Hole who allegedly shot and killed eight people at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis on April 16, 2021. (Indianapolis Metro Police Department)

PHOTO: The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has released an undated image of Brandon Hole who allegedly shot and killed eight people at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis on April 16, 2021. (Indianapolis Metro Police Department)
While speaking with officers, Hole "downplayed any suicidal thoughts or plans" but said he felt "sad and depressed and that he would benefit from counselling, according to the report. The officers placed Hole on an immediate detention mental health temporary hold and transported him to a local hospital for further assessment. Officers also notified the criminal intelligence unit about what was observed on Hole's computer and took the shotgun to the police department's property room with "seized by dangerous person" written on the inventory sheet, the report said."

Anybody else see a probelm with this timeline of events? This intervention was in March 2020, and 4 mos later in July 2020 this dude was able to legally purchase the first of Two ASSAULT RIFLES he purchased in the past year?

Sorry, you can list all the societal causes you want to try and ascribe to US Society (NONE of which are unique to the US, btw). But the ONLY thing unique about the US situation is the fact that this clown was legally able to purchase those weapons...

You can buy drugs openly in a coffee shop in Amsterdam, there are 14 countries with higher abortion rates than the US, and fewer Christians in all of Scandinavia and most of Europe combined than there are in the US. But the US is the ONLY country where you can walk in to a gun shop off the street as a 19 yr old, 4 mos removed from being characterized by police as a "dangerous person" and legally buy an assault weapon. Any other "societal reason" you want to try and pretend is relevant is just BS...

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Some interesting developments on Mr. Hole, with regards to his family's attempt to have the police intervene. Turns out there may have been a white Supremacist element to his general craziness and potential for violence...

"After speaking with the mother, police officers went to the family's home and placed Hole in handcuffs. Hole, who was 18 at the time, "became immediately anxious" and told the officers, "Please just turn the power strip off on my computer ... I don't want anyone to see what's on it," according to the report. One of the officers went upstairs to seize the shotgun and "observed what through his training and experience indicated was white supremist (sic) websites" on Hole's computer, the report said.

While speaking with officers, Hole "downplayed any suicidal thoughts or plans" but said he felt "sad and depressed and that he would benefit from counselling, according to the report. The officers placed Hole on an immediate detention mental health temporary hold and transported him to a local hospital for further assessment. Officers also notified the criminal intelligence unit about what was observed on Hole's computer and took the shotgun to the police department's property room with "seized by dangerous person" written on the inventory sheet, the report said."

Anybody else see a probelm with this timeline of events? This intervention was in March 2020, and 4 mos later in July 2020 this dude was able to legally purchase the first of Two ASSAULT RIFLES he purchased in the past year?

Sorry, you can list all the societal causes you want to try and ascribe to US Society (NONE of which are unique to the US, btw). But the ONLY thing unique about the US situation is the fact that this clown was legally able to purchase those weapons...

You can buy drugs openly in a coffee shop in Amsterdam, there are 14 countries with higher abortion rates than the US, and fewer Christians in all of Scandinavia and most of Europe combined than there are in the US. But the US is the ONLY country where you can walk in to a gun shop off the street as a 19 yr old, 4 mos removed from being characterized by police as a "dangerous person" and legally buy an assault weapon. Any other "societal reason" you want to try and pretend is relevant is just BS...

Anybody else see a probelm with this timeline of events? This in
drop in the bucket. 9 kids were shot yesterday at a 12 year old's birthday party. and guess what cosmic this should make your boner retreat right back into your body - no white supremacy involved!! he browsed white supremacists' websites more than a year ago. oh my god sooooo interesting. did these websites you're on say anything about these kids getting shot in louisiana yesterday? any idea the motivation there? at a 12 year old's bday party? or the 15 in a mass shooting in chicago? what was the motivation? what was up there?

guns are an issue in this country - stop focusing on one element of that issue. in fact a very small percentage of that issue. no matter how excited it gets you. black lives matter right. There are larger mass shootings than the fed ex guy going on daily around the country. With kids as victims.

We need to get really aggressive about gun control. and figure out a way to make a dent in the 300 million guns on the streets.

you're like a media made automaton

Last edited:
drop in the bucket. 9 kids were shot yesterday at a 12 year old's birthday party. and guess what cosmic this should make your boner retreat right back into your body - no white supremacy involved!! he browsed white supremacists' websites more than a year ago. oh my god sooooo interesting. did these websites you're on say anything about these kids getting shot in louisiana yesterday? any idea the motivation there? at a 12 year old's bday party? or the 15 in a mass shooting in chicago? what was the motivation? what was up there?

guns are an issue in this country - stop focusing on one element of that issue. in fact a very small percentage of that issue. no matter how excited it gets you. black lives matter right. There are larger mass shootings than the fed ex guy going on daily around the country. With kids as victims.

We need to get really aggressive about gun control. and figure out a way to make a dent in the 300 million guns on the streets
Those parents are getting SUEEEDDDDDD. And good riddance. Take their house.

Just an incredibly sad and ridiculous story
Kids 12-17 with guns. Smart. Even the military wants you to be 18. Parenting apparently is just being friends with your kids now for way too many people.

Yell at clouds
Get off my lawn
I walked to school uphill both ways

blah blah blah

Those parents are getting SUEEEDDDDDD. And good riddance. Take their house.
Lets slow down. There's nothing out there to suggest the parents are to blame or that the violence even had anything to do with the birthday party, other than that the party happened to be when and where it happened.

I mean, maybe that will turn out to be the case, but let's not make assumptions.

We need to get really aggressive about gun control. and figure out a way to make a dent in the 300 million guns on the streets.

you're like a media made automaton
What website? This is info reported on GMA this morning (I linked to the story). My point is that the family asked the IPD to intervene in March 2020, and they confiscated guns and started a file labeling him a "dangerous individual". And yet 4 mos later someone with a very recent history of possible mental illness who had specifically expressed the desire to commit "suicide by cop" is allowed to LEGALLY purchase an assault rifle...

Not sure why you try and conflate guns bought legally in IN and used in a mass shooting locally by a deranged individual with guns used in a mass shooting in Chicago by criminals. The only likely connection is that (according to statistics) the guns used to commit crimes in Chicago were most likely purchased elsewhere (legally) and brought in to the city and made available to criminals. So in both instances,IN's lax gun laws may play a key role.

This report is dated 2017, but it encompasses trends dating from 2013 when the overwhelming majority of guns that were confiscated by CPD after being used in criminal activity originally were sold in Suburban Cook Co and Indiana.

I mentioned the white supremacy angle because it made enough of an impression on the original IPD officers who responded to the family and searched his computer that they felt it was noteworthy. I didn't "invent" it and I don't know what motivation it played (if any). But it seems to be an ideology that increasingly appeals to mentally deficient people who have characterized their own failings as someone else's fault. So I'd say Hole was ripe for that type of indoctrination...

I have no idea why you chose to attack me personally in your own uniquely condescending way. I took great care to avoid responding to any post directly and deliberately chose to make a very general, info-based post in which I didn't quote or respond to anyone directly. I even eliminated any reference to the post immediately preceding mine, so that people wouldn't think I was responding to anyone in particular.

Lets slow down. There's nothing out there to suggest the parents are to blame or that the violence even had anything to do with the birthday party, other than that the party happened to be when and where it happened.

I mean, maybe that will turn out to be the case, but let's not make assumptions.
Well, if they own the property and it happened on their property, they're getting sued. Plaintiffs may not win, but they're getting sued.

It actually is a real sharp look thanks.

Remember when you complained about not being able to go ball games and concerts a couple weeks ago? Join me in the recall lightfoot/ pritzker effort. It doesn’t have to be this way, look at Florida.

Or solidify yourself as a clown, clown. 🤡 🤡

How is this real?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT