ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at FedEx facility in Indy

Chicago has had a Democrat mayor forever, but they’ve always at least been Chicago Democrats.

They loved the CPD, understood the working class nature of the city, lined their pockets, life moves on.

Im not much for political dynasties, but a Daley should always run Chicago, always.

I never thought I’d see the day a wokester gremlin would bring the greatest city in the world to its knees.

• Wow
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
CRT is an academic paradigm. It's related to critical theory. I really doubt any of our CRT experts know what critical theory is, since they clearly don't know what CRT is. Basically, critical theory is a way of studying sociology that's based on the idea that social structure is more important than individuals.

CRT is merely the specific application of this academic theory to the intersection of law and race. It's primary argument is that the American legal system is structurally racist. In other words, it doesn't claim that white people suck or that all whites are racist, or anything like that. It simply claims that the law, as currently structured, happens to favor the white race.

The lawyers around these parts don't know any of this, because law school doesn't actually teach scholarship of any kind. It's a glorified trade school. It teaches you how to practice the law. But it teaches very little about the underlying philosophy and theory, and it teaches virtually nothing in terms of academic study.

There are no public schools, inner city or otherwise, being exposed to CRT. CRT exists in ivory towers, and that's it.
Again, whatever you think it is or what it’s supposed to be (because I believe your good faith), it sure isn’t playing out like it’s “supposed to.”

Again, whatever you think it is or what it’s supposed to be (because I believe your good faith), it sure isn’t playing out like it’s “supposed to.”

Several thoughts:

1. Karen probably doesn't understand CRT.
2. Joy Reid probably doesn't, either.
3. Reid's reaction may still be correct in the sense that, if you ignore all the misunderstandings of what CRT actually is, the woman's pearl-clutching could still come from a very racist place. Who knows.
4. I'd still be shocked if CRT is invading our schools in any way at all, other than in the ways it might inform pedagogy, which probably isn't much, since CRT is again quite limited in scope. It doesn't really touch pedagogy, except in the teaching of law.
5. I'm open to being proven wrong. I'm no expert on education. It's been a while since I was in school, and it's been even longer since I took a class that was about school. Things could have changed dramatically.
6. Some things that are best left to grad school can still be brought up in primary school in generic ways. You can teach evolution while still saving a true understanding of how it works for later, when the students are old enough to actually understand it.
7. That said, this can be dangerous in the social sciences. Critical theory, Marxism, feminist critique, these are all important methods for studying the world, but I really doubt it would be helpful or even useful to introduce them to anyone in high school.
8. I still think my original thought about CRT is the important one: it does not "teach" that all white people are racist, as so many seem to think, and that's the singular thing that gets stuck in my craw.
9. The confluence of points #8 and #7 leads to an obvious worry: if old white conservatives can so easily misunderstand CRT, I see no reason why black teenagers can't do the same, so I'd probably vote to keep CRT in law schools and grad schools.

Several thoughts:

3. Reid's reaction may still be correct in the sense that, if you ignore all the misunderstandings of what CRT actually is, the woman's pearl-clutching could still come from a very racist place. Who knows.
4. I'd still be shocked if CRT is invading our schools in any way at all, other than in the ways it might inform pedagogy, which probably isn't much, since CRT is again quite limited in scope. It doesn't really touch pedagogy, except in the teaching of law.
5. I'm open to being proven wrong. I'm no expert on education. It's been a while since I was in school, and it's been even longer since I took a class that was about school. Things could have changed dramatically.
6. Some things that are best left to grad school can still be brought up in primary school in generic ways. You can teach evolution while still saving a true understanding of how it works for later, when the students are old enough to actually understand it.
7. That said, this can be dangerous in the social sciences. Critical theory, Marxism, feminist critique, these are all important methods for studying the world, but I really doubt it would be helpful or even useful to introduce them to anyone in high school.
8. I still think my original thought about CRT is the important one: it does not "teach" that all white people are racist, as so many seem to think, and that's the singular thing that gets stuck in my craw.
9. The confluence of points #8 and #7 leads to an obvious worry: if old white conservatives can so easily misunderstand CRT, I see no reason why black teenagers can't do the same, so I'd probably vote to keep CRT in law schools and grad schools.
I tend to agree with all of this except for some graying in Point 4 and I don’t think people are saying point 8 as you’ve stated it.

For point 4 I think it’s been taught, both directly and via pedagogical influence, in liberal and urban areas as in a “give them what they want” offering. In that capacity I think it does those students a disservice as I think another side effect of CRT is that it gives one a bogeyman to blame for their perceived woes and alleviates the burden of self ownership and self action. I agree it’s not likely being taught in too many places but continuing to beat the drum of “it’s not your fault - it’s someone else’s fault” in poor black areas is a massive disservice to the population.

For point 8 I think only the dumb think it’s directly calling all whites as racists. It certainly takes a chicken-shit tone by almost inferring such and when combining CRT bad takes with the acme of woke that we live in you have a recipe for disaster.

Several thoughts:

I haven’t studied CRT in any depth and if you asked me to define it in a paragraph I’d probably look at you blankly.

Is the 1619 project an outgrowth of CRT in your opinion? Because that I have read and that is a total crock of sh*t.

As the person on this board who has graduated k-16 public school most recently I can confirm that the American counter narrative has become THE narrative and the idea of teaching American exceptionalism is laughable nowadays.

Is teaching America’s youth that their country is inherently racist potentially damaging to the long term prospects of American society? I guess we’ll find out because that’s exactly what’s happening.

I tend to agree with all of this except for some graying in Point 4 and I don’t think people are saying point 8 as you’ve stated it.

For point 4 I think it’s been taught, both directly and via pedagogical influence, in liberal and urban areas as in a “give them what they want” offering. In that capacity I think it does those students a disservice as I think another side effect of CRT is that it gives one a bogeyman to blame for their perceived woes and alleviates the burden of self ownership and self action. I agree it’s not likely being taught in too many places but continuing to beat the drum of “it’s not your fault - it’s someone else’s fault” in poor black areas is a massive disservice to the population.

For point 8 I think only the dumb think it’s directly calling all whites as racists. It certainly takes a chicken-shit tone by almost inferring such and when combining CRT bad takes with the acme of woke that we live in you have a recipe for disaster.
You may be right about point 4, but I'm sure I'm right about point 8. I've seen it a lot, including from numerous posters on this very forum.

They might not actually believe it, of course. It could just be politically useful red meat. But they are certainly saying it.

I haven’t studied CRT in any depth and if you asked me to define it in a paragraph I’d probably look at you blankly.

Is the 1619 project an outgrowth of CRT in your opinion? Because that I have read and that is a total crock of sh*t.

As the person on this board who has graduated k-16 public school most recently I can confirm that the American counter narrative has become THE narrative and the idea of teaching American exceptionalism is laughable nowadays.

Is teaching America’s youth that their country is inherently racist potentially damaging to the long term prospects of American society? I guess we’ll find out because that’s exactly what’s happening.
I don't know much about the 1619 project, but my understanding at least on this particular point is that it comes from an academic tradition entirely unrelated to CRT. However broadly the influence of CRT is spreading now (which, as Ranger and I are showing, is under some debate), it at least started as a very narrow area of study, and I think it remained that when 1619 first came along.

You may be right about point 4, but I'm sure I'm right about point 8. I've seen it a lot, including from numerous posters on this very forum.

They might not actually believe it, of course. It could just be politically useful red meat. But they are certainly saying it.
Like I’ve said before - CRT - like communism sounds good on paper but we’re not big enough boys and girls to handle it properly. We’ve got rubes/Karens on one side and bigots like Joy Reid and her audience on the other.

Most of the candidates for Manhattan DA think illegal gun possession should not have a jail consequence
If that’s true that’s insane. The number of gun related offenses involving people with priors is absurd. Part of any gun control strategy requires harsher sentencing for gun crimes/illegal possession

The alleged Times Square shooter, Farrakhan Muhammad, has been arrested numerous times before including last year for assaulting a random person on street & of course was released without serving jail time to live in a SRO hotel for the homeless.

The alleged Times Square shooter, Farrakhan Muhammad, has been arrested numerous times before including last year for assaulting a random person on street & of course was released without serving jail time to live in a SRO hotel for the homeless.
Now, now... we can't infringe on his second amendment rights, can we? What would the founding fathers say?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT