ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Gillis Probable Cause Affidavit

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Here are some excerpts:

"Dispatch advised the caller stated the vehicle was all over the road and at one point was even driving on the wrong side. The caller also described the vehicle as a black passenger car. Arriving in the area, myself and Captain Ferguson were able to locate the caller,
who was still following the suspect vehicle, which was actually a blue Lexus. Getting behind the vehicle, Captain Ferguson observed the vehicle almost strike the curb as it moved into the left turn lane at Yeager Rd and Sagamore Pkwy.

When Captain Ferguson requested GILLIS' driver‘s license and registration for the vehicle, GILLIS kept organizing papers he had pulled from the glove box. When asked again for his driver's license, GILLIS attempted to hand over a debit card. When told it was not his license, GILLIS proceeded to pull out another debit or credit card and hand it over instead of his
license, which was in plain view in his wallet. In order to get GILLIS's license, Captain Ferguson had to tell him his license was under his thumb and point out specifically where it was in his wallet.

He also took photographs of the damage to the right rear side of the vehicle. There was damage consistent with a crash and GILLIS stated to Captain Ferguson, when asked, that there had been no prior damage to the vehicle and there should be no damage anywhere leading us to believe he may have crashed while he was operating the vehicle intoxicated.

While myself and Lt. Brewer were attempting to ask GILLIS questions, he kept telling Lt. Brewer he had something to ask him. He would then tell Lt. Brewer to look him in the eyes and not ask anything. GILLIS also seemed to think there was some conspiracy going on. He kept telling me throughout the encounter that the "White guy" I was with shook his head at him and told him it was okay and he didn't understand why I was doing this and that it wasn't necessary.

It should be noted that at the hospital, GILLIS did begin to get verbally aggressive. At one point, as we were making our way to the assigned room, GILLIS stopped walking and refused to go any further for a couple of moments. He also advised he could cause trouble if he really wanted. In reference to this, I advised GILLIS this was the route we had to take, and if he'd prefer we could get another officer to the hospital to assist with getting him where he needed to be. Once we got to the hospital room, GILLIS advised he had to use the restroom. I attempted to explain to him that due to him being the opposite gender, I could not supervise him using the restroom. At this GILLIS became angry and became very irrational. He could not seem to grasp the idea of being in custody and why I could not uncuff him and let a male nurse or doctor accompany him to the restroom. A nurse did offer the option of using a bedpan if GILLIS really had to use the restroom, but I deemed that an unsafe idea due to GILLIS' temper and he insisted on being uncuffed to use the restroom.

Also at the hospital, GILLIS began to say over and over that I ”had no clue" and that I could have just let him go because he wasn't doing anything wrong or hurting anyone. He also made comments and implied that I was going to lose my job over arresting him and he was going to sue me because the cuff on his left hand was too tight and I would not let him use the restroom. It should be noted that when GILLIS stated the circulation in his left hand was
being cut off, I checked the cuff for tightness and found it to be not overly tight. I was able to fit a finger between his hand and the cuff. There was no possible way for the cuff to cut off his circulation."

Last edited:
Has it been a standard practice in West Laffy to let off PU athletes? If so, that may explain Gillis's expectations not being met.

It reads like he was really loaded, wonder what the BAC was.

Has it been a standard practice in West Laffy to let off PU athletes? If so, that may explain Gillis's expectations not being met.

It reads like he was really loaded, wonder what the BAC was.
They did a blood draw, waiting on the results. Gillis did come across as kind of a butthole and entitled at times: I'm hoping that was caused by possible intoxication.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
I hate seeing this crap posted. It's a kids life and doesn't need to be posted here.
Then maybe he shouldn't have gotten blasted and then went for a drive. I lost a brother in law a few years ago to a drunk driver and I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers. If posting something like this makes someone think twice about doing it, that is a win.

Then maybe he shouldn't have gotten blasted and then went for a drive. I lost a brother in law a few years ago to a drunk driver and I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers. If posting something like this makes someone think twice about doing it, that is a win.
I'm sorry about your brother in law, but that's just BS. I can say with 100% confidence, not really having any idea about Mason Gillis, that this being posted here has absolutely no effect on him. He's got plenty to deal with on his own and this news isn't being broken here, nor read by anyone here that matters to him and doesn't already know. And, you didn't post it... it's the same old small-minded folks and reasons and it has nothing to do with shaming MG into not doing this... in fact, it's celebrating that he did.

I'm sorry about your brother in law, but that's just BS. I can say with 100% confidence, not really having any idea about Mason Gillis, that this being posted here has absolutely no effect on him. He's got plenty to deal with on his own and this news isn't being broken here, nor read by anyone here that matters to him and doesn't already know. And, you didn't post it... it's the same old small-minded folks and reasons and it has nothing to do with shaming MG into not doing this... in fact, it's celebrating that he did.
I understand your point about this being more gossip or non sport related than say info about changing a defense from packline to man to man.
I also agree Gillis will not care what anyone on this board thinks.
Perhaps, and maybe even hopefully, some other person reading this might be 1% effected to not drink and drive.

I don't like reading this stuff either, because there is too much speculation and finger pointing before anyone has full information. But here is something from recent developments that needs to be considered. With the new rules concerning compensation/endorsements of college athletes, many of these guys are now looking at becoming marketing brands, be noticed and rake in the benefits. You can't have it both ways. You can't say pay attention to Me, pay Me, and then say don't pay any attention to things that occur in my personal life. Once you have jumped the shark, you don't have the ability to go back, particularly with something that is part of the Public Record.

BTW, whois Mason Gillis? Current Pu player I assume.
I will google him.
His jersey sales just plummeted.
of course it's a current PU player. As I said, it's the same poster(s) and the same reasons and it has nothing to do with shaming folks into not drinking and driving... or infecting others with herpes, etc....

I hate seeing this crap posted. It's a kids life and doesn't need to be posted here.
This is public information from the government that is freely available to any citizen. Anybody that wants this information can get it from the Tippecanoe County Courts. Don't want to make your life public? Don't commit (allegedly) crimes.

This is public information from the government that is freely available to any citizen. Anybody that wants this information can get it from the Tippecanoe County Courts. Don't want to make your life public? Don't commit (allegedly) crimes.
Don't try and make it out like you're doing this as a public service. The only purpose is for you to make yourself feel better and give yourself that micro-erection by putting down PU. You'd probably be the first to scream outrage if this were done about an IU player or you, or one of your kids. Discretion means that there is something you can do, but recognize it's better and wiser not to. Something you might look in to.

I don't like reading this stuff either, because there is too much speculation and finger pointing before anyone has full information. But here is something from recent developments that needs to be considered. With the new rules concerning compensation/endorsements of college athletes, many of these guys are now looking at becoming marketing brands, be noticed and rake in the benefits. You can't have it both ways. You can't say pay attention to Me, pay Me, and then say don't pay any attention to things that occur in my personal life. Once you have jumped the shark, you don't have the ability to go back, particularly with something that is part of the Public Record.
see my last post. Just because something is out there, doesn't mean you are compelled to post about it. Was it wrong? Totally and it probably all falls on MG. But, this is a mistake of of someone young and foolish and he will pay for it, both through the legal system and at school and on the team, I am confident. Posting it here has 0 impact on MG and is not even about him.

You do make a great point about the impact to them personally because of NIL endorsements and earnings, so they have even more at risk in these situations.

Reactions: BoilerN
I wasn't talking about Mason Gillis reading this and learning from it; I was talking about anyone else that might read it and think twice about drunk driving. My brother in law left behind a wife and 4 young children just because a POS drunk driver killed him on his bicycle on his way to work out before he was to graduate from nursing school later that day.

I wasn't talking about Mason Gillis reading this and learning from it; I was talking about anyone else that might read it and think twice about drunk driving. My brother in law left behind a wife and 4 young children just because a POS drunk driver killed him on his bicycle on his way to work out before he was to graduate from nursing school later that day.
OK, do I think the original post would have any impact on reducing DD for MG or anyone else who reads it? No. Do I think your explanation might? Absolutely. So, maybe there is some possible residual good that can come of it, but I still don't think these posts belong here, have real value or were posted with any of that in mind. Generally its HoosierJimbo, JimmyGoIU or their ilk and the whole intent is just to trample PU, which I'm all for, I just don't like dragging someones kid through the mud over a kid's personal problems to do that. I wouldn't want it for my kids, and don't like doing it to someone elses.

Don't try and make it out like you're doing this as a public service. The only purpose is for you to make yourself feel better and give yourself that micro-erection by putting down PU. You'd probably be the first to scream outrage if this were done about an IU player or you, or one of your kids. Discretion means that there is something you can do, but recognize it's better and wiser not to. Something you might look in to.
I talked about Hendershot's issues, and I have also posted that I didn't give a rat's behind about Caleb Swanigan's weed issues. I have called out IU players when they do stupid crap. I think your lecture about discretion would probably be better directed at Gillis: he could have killed somebody. If you don't like this post, move on instead of dwelling on it. If you think public information should be censored, I'd disagree with you.

see my last post. Just because something is out there, doesn't mean you are compelled to post about it. Was it wrong? Totally and it probably all falls on MG. But, this is a mistake of of someone young and foolish and he will pay for it, both through the legal system and at school and on the team, I am confident. Posting it here has 0 impact on MG and is not even about him.

You do make a great point about the impact to them personally because of NIL endorsements and earnings, so they have even more at risk in these situations.
You make a good point. Just because it is out there doesn't mean it needs to be posted. If the Story appeared in the Indy Star or Lafayette Courier a quick statement and link to the story would be sufficient. I don't need the minute by minute blow by blow detail. If I want that, I can go to the public record myself.

The other thing is We should not be taking pleasure from another Person's problem or negative action no matter what the Circumstance or affiliation. We can certainly pray that the Person has learned his lesson, will graciously accept the legal consequences and will be smart enough not to repeat the conduct.

Reactions: PurdueSteve
I talked about Hendershot's issues, and I have also posted that I didn't give a rat's behind about Caleb Swanigan's weed issues. I have called out IU players when they do stupid crap. I think your lecture about discretion would probably be better directed at Gillis: he could have killed somebody. If you don't like this post, move on instead of dwelling on it. If you think public information should be censored, I'd disagree with you.
No one said anything about censoring public information... I said discretion. The public information is there for anyone to find... not just those who take glee in sharing it. I don't want to move on, this is the IU bball board, not the public shaming board of our rival's players. You keep hiding behind morality and public information, but the only time you and jimmy, etc... make posts like this is about PU players, and it's transparent to anyone who spends anytime here.

I'm not defending MG in the slightest, I'm just saying young people make bad decisions all the time, and it's a small person who takes glee in it, just because of a rivalry. Again, if your or my kids do this, we don't have to worry about such crap for the most part, and I think MG's family doesn't deserve this just because he happens to be an athlete. You want to talk about their cow-eds, cheerlearders, crappy mascot/colors/campus/arena/town, IU sux chant, all that's perfectly fun and fair on a fan board like this. Taking delight in a kid's misguided decision and troubles is where I draw the line and I feel like you've done it more than once.

Reactions: tkejones
No one said anything about censoring public information... I said discretion. The public information is there for anyone to find... not just those who take glee in sharing it. I don't want to move on, this is the IU bball board, not the public shaming board of our rival's players. You keep hiding behind morality and public information, but the only time you and jimmy, etc... make posts like this is about PU players, and it's transparent to anyone who spends anytime here.

I'm not defending MG in the slightest, I'm just saying young people make bad decisions all the time, and it's a small person who takes glee in it, just because of a rivalry. Again, if your or my kids do this, we don't have to worry about such crap for the most part, and I think MG's family doesn't deserve this just because he happens to be an athlete. You want to talk about their cow-eds, cheerlearders, crappy mascot/colors/campus/arena/town, IU sux chant, all that's perfectly fun and fair on a fan board like this. Taking delight in a kid's misguided decision and troubles is where I draw the line and I feel like you've done it more than once.
I think it would be a straw man to say that I'm taking delight or glee in anything. I suppose you don't want to actually respond to my posts, are ignoring any information that doesn't support your conclusions, and know more about me than I do? This is news and fact, summer is slow, and the information pertains to a rival: fair game as far as I'm concerned. I've literally never talked about some of the topics you say I have.

I think you do need to move on from this thread. If I read something in the news I don't like or doesn't interest me, I move on. It kind of sounds like you are defending Gillis' actions instead of denouncing drunk driving and his behavior. Young and dumb doesn't matter if you kill somebody: Gillis is lucky. I promise you Matt Painter doesn't hold the same opinion you do.

Maybe he can find solace in his safe place, the bottom of his empty bottle.

Reactions: Excellent Post

So, you're fine with calling teenage girls cows, moo, etc., but upset over drunk drivers? Makes perfect sense. These teenage girls have parents too, even IU grad parents.

I think it would be a straw man to say that I'm taking delight or glee in anything. I suppose you don't want to actually respond to my posts, are ignoring any information that doesn't support your conclusions, and know more about me than I do? This is news and fact, summer is slow, and the information pertains to a rival: fair game as far as I'm concerned. I've literally never talked about some of the topics you say I have.

I think you do need to move on from this thread. If I read something in the news I don't like or doesn't interest me, I move on. It kind of sounds like you are defending Gillis' actions instead of denouncing drunk driving and his behavior. Young and dumb doesn't matter if you kill somebody: Gillis is lucky. I promise you Matt Painter doesn't hold the same opinion you do.
I'm not reading the "news" I'm reading a post where you cut and pasted it in your own description, not in it's entirety... for no good reason on the IU bball board. I guarantee you Matt Painter holds my same opinion: Let him as his Coach and PU as his school deal with it when they know the facts... not some schmoe on a rivals message board. I have a pretty high degree of respect for Painter, and think much like RMK, he'd say "let me as his Coach deal with it after I learn the facts", just as I believe RMK would have and did. Think about how RMK reacted to writers; I guarantee you he would be equally angry with noobs posting this junk on an internet forum.

I have never, will never, and don't approve of what MG did, if he did DUI, but I understand that young people make bad decisions out of ignorance and hubris, and that it's really part of growing up for most people. It will happen again in some iteration, at both IU and PU. I'm also willing to bet it happens a lot less frequently with these players than it did with you and your friends, and I know than it did with me and my friend when I was that age. I believe his Coach, his school and most importantly, his parents should and will deal with it. I hate that he did it, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm much more critical of real adults making poor decisions. You tell me, do we consider you an adult?

Reactions: Bill4411
So, you're fine with calling teenage girls cows, moo, etc., but upset over drunk drivers? Makes perfect sense. These teenage girls have parents too, even IU grad parents.
That's just general fan talk and banter back and forth. Who did I call a cow... no one, and if you picked out a specific student and said that, then obviously I'd think you were a moron.

I'm not reading the "news" I'm reading a post where you cut and pasted it in your own description, not in it's entirety... for no good reason on the IU bball board. I guarantee you Matt Painter holds my same opinion: Let him as his Coach and PU as his school deal with it when they know the facts... not some schmoe on a rivals message board. I have a pretty high degree of respect for Painter, and think much like RMK, he'd say "let me as his Coach deal with it after I learn the facts", just as I believe RMK would have and did. Think about how RMK reacted to writers; I guarantee you he would be equally angry with noobs posting this junk on an internet forum.

I have never, will never, and don't approve of what MG did, if he did DUI, but I understand that young people make bad decisions out of ignorance and hubris, and that it's really part of growing up for most people. It will happen again in some iteration, at both IU and PU. I'm also willing to bet it happens a lot less frequently with these players than it did with you and your friends, and I know than it did with me and my friend when I was that age. I believe his Coach, his school and most importantly, his parents should and will deal with it. I hate that he did it, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm much more critical of real adults making poor decisions. You tell me, do we consider you an adult?
The probable cause affidavit is a sworn statement from law enforcement officers: are you saying I or they made it up or I somehow distorted it? People are allowed to address and discuss stuff that happens: this isn't communist China or Russia. I'm not telling Matt Painter how to run his program, and he is free to think of my two cents however he wants.

You think Matt Painter or RMK would say " aw shucks, the boy got a DUI, boys will be boys, let's let the boy's parents deal with it in private, etc.?" Mark Dantonio or Bobby Bowden might say that. I wouldn't want to be in the same state as RMK if I was a player that picked up DUI. I'd bet money Painter is at least still chewing Gillis' ass out and Gillis is still running.

Here are some excerpts:
But, per your own post, you didn't post the full statement, or a full story, but parts you selected, right? Nor do I want you to. I want you to let it play out and let law enforcement, PU and MP, and MG's parents deal with it.

If you want to question if MP is running a rogue program, I guess that's a reasonable point for discussion here. I don't think he is, but they've had several incidents under his tenure (as have IU players), and that's a reasonable issue to discuss. But there's no need to post details here, when you're not part of the equation (Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not one of the Officers, or attorneys, or employed by PU, right?), you're just a fan boy.

I never said or implied any part of your last paragraph and it's only more of your off-base grandstanding. I am only saying, let MP handle it and I believe he will.

Not saying I disagree, but given all the BS that gets posted here and the generally breathtaking indifference of the moderators, what makes this issue so special? Accusing federal officials of child-trafficking and pedophilia gets a free pass but a 20-year old drugged to the gills driving a motor vehicle and crashing into stuff is taboo? He might have killed someone and not even known it but he deserves to be protected? And if something being posted here has "absolutely no effect on him" then what does it matter? That it's a bad look for this Board and IU? That ship sails every day.

Doubtful I would have learned about this if it hadn't been posted here. No loss, but 'curious' that there is absolutely zero mention of it on the pU site, just as if it never happened at all - clearly their mods are scrubbing any and all reference to the 'incident', though I doubt it's Mason Gills they're protecting.

Anyway. Any player for a D1 pre-season Top 25 team that gets arrested is going to get covered, and if Sports Illustrated, USA Today and the Purdue Exponent see fit to write it up, hard to see the why or use in trying to throw up a firewall. I do get that the 'young man' is up against it at present, but trying to close the gate & haranguing others to do so when the horse is already running in the field is -- insert descriptor here.

Not saying I disagree, but given all the BS that gets posted here and the generally breathtaking indifference of the moderators, what makes this issue so special? Accusing federal officials of child-trafficking and pedophilia gets a free pass but a 20-year old drugged to the gills driving a motor vehicle and crashing into stuff is taboo? He might have killed someone and not even known it but he deserves to be protected? And if something being posted here has "absolutely no effect on him" then what does it matter? That it's a bad look for this Board and IU? That ship sails every day.

Doubtful I would have learned about this if it hadn't been posted here. No loss, but 'curious' that there is absolutely zero mention of it on the pU site, just as if it never happened at all - clearly their mods are scrubbing any and all reference to the 'incident', though I doubt it's Mason Gills they're protecting.

Anyway. Any player for a D1 pre-season Top 25 team that gets arrested is going to get covered, and if Sports Illustrated, USA Today and the Purdue Exponent see fit to write it up, hard to see the why or use in trying to throw up a firewall. I do get that the 'young man' is up against it at present, but trying to close the gate & haranguing others to do so when the horse is already running in the field is -- insert descriptor here.

Because it's nothing but gossiping about someone's trainwreck. No different than Jerry Springer, Honey Boo Boo or the premise of most reality TV and entertainment news. Just not into hillbilly past times ..

Perspective - he could have killed someone! That trumps "youthful indiscretions" or "stupidity" or anything else you might call it. He truly deserves the exposure, criticism, and ridicule from anywhere and anyone that goes with such a selfish and irresponsible action. Hopefully Painter and others stick it to him. In the real world a lot of companies terminate people immediately for a DUI. No questions, no opportunity to explain or anything else, just done. They're on their own to get into rehab and get sober. Penalizing him now would help him a lot in later life. It's not like Uber or cell phones don't exist and it's not like West Laffy is so big he couldn't find a way to sleep it off or wait to sober up.

The other thing to keep in mind, is when a lot of kids get loaded on a campus, they don't get in a car and drive. I think that is more rare than those that do and get in cars. Don't make excuses for MG, he deserves everything he gets, and then some. BTW, MG should get into a rehab program now and he should go without a DL for some time to fully grasp what he did.

don't make excuses for him, there are none. He was drunk and shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car (potential murder weapon) period.

• Haha
Reactions: Excellent Post
Because it's nothing but gossiping about someone's trainwreck. No different than Jerry Springer, Honey Boo Boo or the premise of most reality TV and entertainment news. Just not into hillbilly past times ..
Perhaps to my credit, don't watch TV and wouldn't know either of the people you mentioned if they bit me on the leg (though I have heard of JS). As for "gossiping about someone's trainwreck", agree and would be most content if such never darkened our collective doorstep again - but given the typical daily traffic on this Forum, just struck me as odd that this alone got flagged as 'inappropriate'.

Hear that everyone? No more personal trainwreck gossip. Right - shouldn't be a problem. By the way, what's the over/under on how many more threads get started on this subject before next Monday?

🍏

Reactions: T.M.P.
Warped, but funny.
I have not thought about colt 45 malt liquor in a long time.
Better than Thunderbird, If You are as old as I am , you probably remember the Commercials.
"What's the Word? Thunderbird,
"How is the wine?" Mighty Fine.
"What's the Price?' Really nice.
I forget the rest, but I'm sure Somebody can fill in the blanks.

If you don't think there wasn't a big discussion about Gillis's DUI on Purdue's sister site to this one. Could I interest you purchasing a bridge in Brooklyn? I'll give you a good deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT