ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland got hosed

mk30

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2022
Anyone see the call in the top of the 8th with one out? Runner Lane Interference? I’d be livid as a Terp fan. Happily, I don’t really like them. 😂

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
I was watching Live Stats and didn't see it. I'm not a big fan of Maryland or Rutgers but I would have liked for them to have made some tournament noise. Meat Chicken is a different story. They have had enough success already. I guess I have a hard time cheering for Michigan or Ohio State in any sports. I like to see the wealth spread around more to others.

Agree was weird all around and probably exacerbated by 1b standing right on top of the base and throw from pitcher seemed intended for 2b moving toward 1b. Had alleyne stayed within the lines no issues but I don’t think he was trying to interfere with the throw. I think he drifted because 1b was taken by that huge dude Huber. Oh well I generally hate Maryland and I live here. This one time I was rooting for big ten.

Reactions: mk30
That extra line on the field is there for a reason. He's supposed to use it.
Pretty sure we all understand that basic rule of the game. But you’ve got to admit the play would have unfolded exactly the way it did whether he’d have run in the lane, on the lane, or under the lane. The big honkin first baseman was standing dead on top of the bag. A collision was inevitable. The runner reached the bag prior to contact. The run scored prior to him reaching the bag. Bad call all the way around.

Pretty sure we all understand that basic rule of the game. But you’ve got to admit the play would have unfolded exactly the way it did whether he’d have run in the lane, on the lane, or under the lane. The big honkin first baseman was standing dead on top of the bag. A collision was inevitable. The runner reached the bag prior to contact. The run scored prior to him reaching the bag. Bad call all the way around.
The big honkin' first baseman was standing well inside of the bag at first (in fair territory) and then had to move to dead on top of the bag to even be able to catch the toss, since the runner was well inside the bag also (illegally). Gutsy call to make, but 100% correct.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Runner didn't take a single step OUTSIDE of the foul line (none in the runner's lane) and his last three steps were to the LEFT of the foul line.

If he runs in the runner's lane, where he's supposed to, and gets hit with the ball then the result of the play stands.

First baseman was clearly established on the inside of the first base bag until the pitcher's throw, at which time he moved towards the top of the bag so that he could see (runner was impeding his view).

Runner wasn't called out for running into the fielder, he was called out for not running in the runner's lane.

Reactions: outside shooter
Easy call for the guy behind the plate. I used to take several steps up the line on plays like that for a better look. That one wasn't close.

Reactions: TomEric4756
You boys oughta ump for a living. Bunch of eagle eyes around here.

I have seen WAY worse than that not called. All of you guys saying it's an easy call must have WAY better eyes than me. Wow, I think that is a horrible call.

I have seen WAY worse than that not called. All of you guys saying it's an easy call must have WAY better eyes than me. Wow, I think that is a horrible call.
Agreed. And I don’t care for Maryland one iota.

Fans can disagree with all kinds of calls, but both of the runners feet were clearly out of the running lane. Fundamental baseball.

Fans can disagree with all kinds of calls, but both of the runners feet were clearly out of the running lane. Fundamental baseball.
Is it your opinion a fat ass first baseman can stand directly on top of the bag? Just curious, because they ought recruit an offensive lineman to stand there and dare runners to knock them off if so.

Is it your opinion a fat ass first baseman can stand directly on top of the bag? Just curious, because they ought recruit an offensive lineman to stand there and dare runners to knock them off if so.
You apparently didn't actually watch the play....especially not in slo-mo

That 3ft wide, 45ft box in foul territory going to 1st base is called the running lane. Stay in that lane and you don't get obstruction called on you on the play. Little league players are taught this.

I saw it. I know the rule. Now answer mine.
First baseman has his left foot on the inside for 1B and his right foot in the dirt when the pitcher releases the ball. That's not standing on top of the base.

The fielder moved to try to see the ball when the runner was 3-4 steps away and took up the inside half of the base before he was collided with by a runner who took his last three steps inside of the normal baseline and never took a single step in the runners lane.

First baseman is also 6'3" 245lbs. That makes him a fat ass?

I just watched it again 3 times. But from the above video with the angle of the camera, I have no idea how you can say clearly. Unless to you, "clearly" means "barely". If so, then I guess I might agree.

I just watched it again 3 times. But from the above video with the angle of the camera, I have no idea how you can say clearly. Unless to you, "clearly" means "barely". If so, then I guess I might agree.
It's clearly. I watched it frame by frame. He's running along the primary line...not remotely close to the runner's lane. You can see when his feet touch the turf that they are INSIDE the baseline and not remotely in the runner's lane.

This stupid post has morphed into a politic-like discussion. No way in hell is anyone gonna change their mind regardless of the arguments from either side. :)

Well...the facts/arguments include that the home plate umpire was in position to make the call and didn't hesitate.

There's no debate necessary or beneficial.

Yes, and like political matters unfortunately, also in this silly discussion FACTS don’t dissuade some from their position.

Yes, and like political matters unfortunately, also in this silly discussion FACTS don’t dissuade some from their position.
Just had a very similar play in CWS.. It was a suicide squeeze and that kept the home plate ump busy at the plate. On review the out call was made for interference as the batter was clearly inside fair territory & outside the running lane. The runner from 3rd who had scored before the throw reached 1st was returned to 3rd. Good discussion among the ESPN commentators about some weak points with the rule but unanimous agreement it was correct call.

Just had a very similar play in CWS.. It was a suicide squeeze and that kept the home plate ump busy at the plate. On review the out call was made for interference as the batter was clearly inside fair territory & outside the running lane. The runner from 3rd who had scored before the throw reached 1st was returned to 3rd. Good discussion among the ESPN commentators about some weak points with the rule but unanimous agreement it was correct call.
Saw that....one of the shames with the rule is that it was obvious the runner on 3rd was going to score regardless of the interference...you could see him crossing the plate while the play was being made. A better outcome would have been to give each on base runner one base, the batter is out and on we go.

Saw that....one of the shames with the rule is that it was obvious the runner on 3rd was going to score regardless of the interference...you could see him crossing the plate while the play was being made. A better outcome would have been to give each on base runner one base, the batter is out and on we go.
That's difficult for the umpiring crew to determine whether the advance or the obstruction occurred first, especially when it's bang-bang. I like the rule as is for that reason.

And that said...hard to believe college kids not using the runners lane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT