ADVERTISEMENT

Managing Success Question

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
The Carpenter transfer raises a few questions for me that candidly IU has not had to deal with until now.

As a top 10 program with a nationally recognized coach, IU is looking at getting likely one of its best recruiting classes in 2022 and being a place transfers from FL St & Michigan ARE coming from. (Wild to say that!)

How will those players handle it that are seeing their own chance to play potentially go down? Ex: If Carpenter is ahead of Weaver at G, and Weaver has been at IU 2-3 seasons working his way up,will guys like that be ok? Or look to transfer out too?

I don’t ask it hoping for any transfers, as we will always need depth and injuries happen. I ask it bc we haven’t been like OSU in the past. They probablyhave figured out how to tell 4 & 5 star recruits how thedepth chart works and if you want a chance at a national title you know we bring in top players every year, but some go pro, injuries and we play a lot of people.

IU did play a ton of guys especially on D, and we’ve seen how quickly a QB change can happen w/injuries, so maybe players inherently get it in big time programs. I’m clearly still adapting to the shift underway, love every minute of it, but was curious if there are a few unintended consequences of going top ten, having more talent wanting to come in and if it puts any challenges on the LEO culture in place for guys who may feel like loyal soldiers who got passed over?

The Carpenter transfer raises a few questions for me that candidly IU has not had to deal with until now.

As a top 10 program with a nationally recognized coach, IU is looking at getting likely one of its best recruiting classes in 2022 and being a place transfers from FL St & Michigan ARE coming from. (Wild to say that!)

How will those players handle it that are seeing their own chance to play potentially go down? Ex: If Carpenter is ahead of Weaver at G, and Weaver has been at IU 2-3 seasons working his way up,will guys like that be ok? Or look to transfer out too?

I don’t ask it hoping for any transfers, as we will always need depth and injuries happen. I ask it bc we haven’t been like OSU in the past. They probablyhave figured out how to tell 4 & 5 star recruits how thedepth chart works and if you want a chance at a national title you know we bring in top players every year, but some go pro, injuries and we play a lot of people.

IU did play a ton of guys especially on D, and we’ve seen how quickly a QB change can happen w/injuries, so maybe players inherently get it in big time programs. I’m clearly still adapting to the shift underway, love every minute of it, but was curious if there are a few unintended consequences of going top ten, having more talent wanting to come in and if it puts any challenges on the LEO culture in place for guys who may feel like loyal soldiers who got passed over?

LEO doesn't mean you're "given" anything... It means (among other things) that you'll be allowed to fairly compete for a position that best fits the needs of the TEAM...

Carpenter isn't being guaranteed a starting position, he sees a probable need evolving at the C and G positions, likes his chances at filling one of those slots and has come to compete for them...

If the guys that are here now have the kind of heart I think they have they'll welcome him with open arms and look forward to competing with him for the position(s)...

This situation is the same on any decent Team across the country, it's not something unique to INDIANA...

I don't see any problem here, only solutions...(we now have some competition and depth at a critical position), why the heck try to dream one up?????🙄

The only thing I can say is that if you are a player and cannot win the starting position you play in college, what is left for you? You are not going to play in the nfl so you had better work hard on that degree and figure out what you are going to do with your life. Get that degree, learn a lot about life from a great life teacher in CTA and staff and make those connections that will help you out later on. What a great experience that could be, playing for CTA and the culture and memories of a team like this. It would be easy to stay.

This is a good discussion topic. I think it addresses the difficulty of building quality depth, within our program. With additional competition will unfortunately cause some existing players to transfer. Definitely a balance for our coaches to address.

I feel like the biggest issue is for those possible transfers to embrace the LEO ideals. No matter how good the transfer is, if he doesn't fit the current profile I don't think Coach Allen will take him into the family.

The only thing I can say is that if you are a player and cannot win the starting position you play in college, what is left for you? You are not going to play in the nfl so you had better work hard on that degree and figure out what you are going to do with your life. Get that degree, learn a lot about life from a great life teacher in CTA and staff and make those connections that will help you out later on. What a great experience that could be, playing for CTA and the culture and memories of a team like this. It would be easy to stay.
This was pretty much my feeling. You realize at some point that you are not NFL Material, and will only have the College Football experience. You are already at a great School with your Education paid for and on track to obtain your business Degree. If you stay in good graces with the Coaching Staff and Team, maybe you have other opportunities. Perhaps you qualify for Grad School at IU, and the Coaching Staff offers you the Opportunity to serve as a Graduate Assistant so you can stay connected to the game while earning a Graduate Degree.

It's not always about Playing Time and stardom on the field.

This is a great problem to have for IUFB and it doesn't have to b a problem if handled correctly. No matter what level a team is, not every player will see the field of play. Rotating in players that can excel will help the issue and being a valuable player in the program getting an excellent education with any help you need should convince the rest to stay.

Tom Allen is so honest and authentic that more I think about it, sure he tells everyone same thing: nothing guaranteed but opportunities to compete and contribute to a program that preaches LEO.

I am reflecting on being a longtime fan, always believing “why couldn’t IU be dominant, go to Rose Bowl, etc”. So many laughed, doubted, then later questioned Allen hire, etc.

it’s awesome to see UM/ Cinci Moeller lineman transferring to IU, after a 4-star FSU receiver. Having 3 4-star QB’s on roster next season. Think it took a culture shift and now I think IU can enjoy having wind at their back and being the alpha male team for awhile. God bless Tom Allen for believing in the art of the possible at IUFB!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT