ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Williams...

Banter...yes...you are acting like this is big news which it isn't ....lol
Gotta agree with Chey here.

MSU I think still the team to beat for Williams, although UofL and KJrelentless are really recruiting hard.

IU really has no shot on either Williams or Jackson. Wilkes looks more promising (him missing out on the U18 USA actually helps IU chances), but if UK offers (they're favoring Vanderbilt right now) you can kiss Wilkes goodbye.

Best chance is with Scruggs. But Xavier is getting heavily involved (going to send their whole staff to see Paul play 1st game in Atlanta) and X is getting involved with Wilkes, also. Not beyond the realm of possibility that both go to Xavier together.

Gotta agree with Chey here.

MSU I think still the team to beat for Williams, although UofL and KJrelentless are really recruiting hard.

IU really has no shot on either Williams or Jackson. Wilkes looks more promising (him missing out on the U18 USA actually helps IU chances), but if UK offers (they're favoring Vanderbilt right now) you can kiss Wilkes goodbye.

Best chance is with Scruggs. But Xavier is getting heavily involved (going to send their whole staff to see Paul play 1st game in Atlanta) and X is getting involved with Wilkes, also. Not beyond the realm of possibility that both go to Xavier together.
So highly doubtful we get any of them! Awesome!

So highly doubtful we get any of them! Awesome!

IMHO we have no chance on two. And, as some have said on this board before, you're likely not going to get EVERY player in the state.

I go back to what Jordan Wells posted on here right after the switchover:

"So to me, it sounds like they'll have to be talked into picking IU. Or convinced to pick IU. And I don't feel good about that, an in-state kid having to be talked into the home school. It just doesn't bode well; you're supposed to have an advantage."

Going into the 9th year of the Tom Crean era at IU and we're reduced to that reality. Ought to be a sobering thought, but as we've learned on here it doesn't resonate with far too many of the fanbase.

I have heard Williams is a must get. I have also and read that he will contribute for a couple years because it will take that long for him to be physically strong enough to in a big way. Which is it.

I have heard Williams is a must get. I have also and read that he will contribute for a couple years because it will take that long for him to be physically strong enough to in a big way. Which is it.
Ingram was rail skinny so not sure. He will play right away but isn't a one and done. Also hearing Jackson transferring to lamunnierre

IMHO we have no chance on two. And, as some have said on this board before, you're likely not going to get EVERY player in the state.

"So to me, it sounds like they'll have to be talked into picking IU. Or convinced to pick IU. And I don't feel good about that, an in-state kid having to be talked into the home school. It just doesn't bode well; you're supposed to have an advantage."

I seriously may have missed the point, but isn't that the very definition of recruiting?

Reactions: YOTHN
Really where did you get that from?
It has been between Sparty and Louisville all along... this is just someone trying to create negative banter once again...
http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...Nelson-Snider-138123/CurrentExpertPredictions
Peegs has said this.
And yes, it was before he left here.
Doesn't surprise me much, he was always about more subscriptions than anything else. According to him, IU was in good shape or was the leader for almost everyone. Oh well, back to the negative banter all.

Going into the 9th year of the Tom Crean era at IU and we're reduced to that reality. Ought to be a sobering thought, but as we've learned on here it doesn't resonate with far too many of the fanbase.

LOL yeah, Crean wins the B1G (again!) and the only argument you have is about RUMORS around the 2017 class of Indiana. Oh brother. CTC has failed us so miserably..... :confused:

Really where did you get that from?
It has been between Sparty and Louisville all along... this is just someone trying to create negative banter once again...
http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...Nelson-Snider-138123/CurrentExpertPredictions

This is from the 6/17 ITLR fdrom Peegs himself.

"Since April we had written that Michigan State was possibly the leader for Malik Williams, the 6-foot-11 center from Fort Wayne Snider. Well recruiting is fluid and chatter is the Spartans may have fallen off and Indiana now among his top two either with Iowa or Louisville. Purdue may also be a factor there and don’t be surprised if there’s another twist or two with this one."

I guess the man that ran the board was the largest creator of negative banter.

This is from the 6/17 ITLR fdrom Peegs himself.

"Since April we had written that Michigan State was possibly the leader for Malik Williams, the 6-foot-11 center from Fort Wayne Snider. Well recruiting is fluid and chatter is the Spartans may have fallen off and Indiana now among his top two either with Iowa or Louisville. Purdue may also be a factor there and don’t be surprised if there’s another twist or two with this one."

I guess the man that ran the board was the largest creator of negative banter.
Just look at the dates in the LINK I posted...always has been MSU and Louisville....they swapped places during this year and now back to 50 / 50... anything that may have been said was for the readership... simple

LOL yeah, Crean wins the B1G (again!) and the only argument you have is about RUMORS around the 2017 class of Indiana. Oh brother. CTC has failed us so miserably..... :confused:
Crean wins the B1G - as you said, again - yet his standing among in-state recruits is such that they'll "have to be talked to" coming to IU.

Stevie Wonder can see the issues with that from 5 miles away. Not surprisingly, you're clueless. Then again, those victory laps can be so distracting . . .

Lol that is so true ... the cartoon character lives for rumors he hears in the stands... and throws around someone's opinion as gospel truth..
gossip.jpg

Reactions: YOTHN
Lol that is so true ... the cartoon character lives for rumors he hears in the stands... and throws around someone's opinion as gospel truth..
gossip.jpg
Like I told you before Chey, don't believe me.

Listen to the coaches. The kids. People like Jordan Wells. Yep - we're all lying . . .

Just look at the dates in the LINK I posted...always has been MSU and Louisville....they swapped places during this year and now back to 50 / 50... anything that may have been said was for the readership... simple
So, I guess what I post is banter and what you post is gospel? I post what was posted on rivals and it is banter? If what you post is true, why can't your Crean recruit these bigs from Indiana that would fit Tom's system. A big man that can shoot. Wow, you are a piece of work.

A while back CTC visited Ft. Wayne when Swanigan was playing against Williams... at that time I said he wasn't in Ft. Wayne for Swanigan... was hoping Williams would lean IU's way... but he needed to eat a few burgers at that point in time... apparently he still needs to eat a few more... I hate to say it, but I think he fits the MSU mold better than IU... the unfortunate part of his basketball knowledge is that FWRNS has lacked a superior PG to help Williams out on the court.... Time will tell... Good Luck in your decision young man...

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Yes, you did.

That part about "supposed to have an advantage". We don't.

My bad, I just saw that part of the post.

But I stand by my point…if someone posted "IU has to actually recruit Indiana kids, and that doesn't bode well for IU", even you would say "Duh." Was there ever a time in the last 25 years that Indiana kids didn't have to be recruited?

But I stand by my point…if someone posted "IU has to actually recruit Indiana kids, and that doesn't bode well for IU", even you would say "Duh." Was there ever a time in the last 25 years that Indiana kids didn't have to be recruited?
The distinction, of course, is that IU always enjoyed a home court advantage when recruiting Indiana kids. Under Tom Crean, no such advantage exists. If anything, it's almost a disadvantage. "It's Indiana!" means something quite different to in state kids than it does to TC.

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

But as the "state" school (and a school with the tradition that IU has) to NOT be a clear favorite for ANY of these kids - especially just after winning the B1G - should tell you how big time recruits from this state look at Tom Crean.

I really hate to say that. But it's the truth.

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

But as the "state" school (and a school with the tradition that IU has) to NOT be a clear favorite for ANY of these kids - especially just after winning the B1G - should tell you how big time recruits from this state look at Tom Crean.

I really hate to say that. But it's the truth.

Point taken.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I think that you are rushing to judgement in this matter, so I would think that it would make more sense to judge the 2017 recruiting class until next summer. Would you still be upset with Coach Crean if he stuck out with our local talent but still managed to assemble a top ten class? What are your thoughts?

He doesn't care how the class shapes up, he is a die hard Crean fan and nothing will change that. Seems he is more a Crean fan than an IU fan.

This is 100% true. I REALLY don't care how the class shapes up. AT ALL. I care about what happens on the court. You guys live in the world of recruiting and then making rash judgement on a coach who then goes out and wins. Due to your rash judgement on this mythical recruiting you then aren't satisfied with him. Who cares what random opinions are of recruiting when the coach is successful on the court? That my friend is why we sit back and laugh at you guys. Keep concerning yourself with "inside information" from behind your computer screen or by placing your ear to the ground. I, however, will just watch IU basketball and make my judgements there.

Reactions: sasser2
I hope that you are not that gullible and put faith in the crystal ball? BTW, TOS is still saying it is between Louisville and IU.

I think that you are rushing to judgement in this matter, so I would think that it would make more sense to judge the 2017 recruiting class until next summer. Would you still be upset with Coach Crean if he stuck out with our local talent but still managed to assemble a top ten class? What are your thoughts?

That logic begins to make more sense. I still withhold judgement until after the players have played. For instance, Tim Priller. I'm willing to give coach the benefit of the doubt but that's just a recruit I will never get. We all want to crucify him for Gelon but again, we have no clue how that will transpire. That's not to say we can't banter about it but to judge the coach and call him a failure without any of the players stepping on the court is ridiculous.

This is 100% true. I REALLY don't care how the class shapes up. AT ALL. I care about what happens on the court. You guys live in the world of recruiting and then making rash judgement on a coach who then goes out and wins. Due to your rash judgement on this mythical recruiting you then aren't satisfied with him. Who cares what random opinions are of recruiting when the coach is successful on the court? That my friend is why we sit back and laugh at you guys. Keep concerning yourself with "inside information" from behind your computer screen or by placing your ear to the ground. I, however, will just watch IU basketball and make my judgements there.
Recruiting leads to on court results, and those results for Crean have a ceiling at the Sweet 16 (in his very best years). His failures on the recruiting trail, especially in his talent rich home state, are one of the key reasons that prevent IU from being a top 10 program. Those of us who see recruiting as a critical means to a desired end realize that you're satisfied with more modest results. And we don't laugh at you as much as we shake our heads in frustration at the lowered expectations. And we want more.

Recruiting leads to on court results, and those results for Crean have a ceiling at the Sweet 16 (in his very best years). His failures on the recruiting trail, especially in his talent rich home state, are one of the key reasons that prevent IU from being a top 10 program. Those of us who see recruiting as a critical means to a desired end realize that you're satisfied with more modest results. And we don't laugh at you as much as we shake our heads in frustration at the lowered expectations. And we want more.

Oh, I see what the problem is. You're missing some key facts. "Those (recruiting) results for Crean" have taken us from no tourney/first round exits to 2 big ten titles (a #1 seed) to go along with those sweet 16 bids you mentioned. Very important to paint the entire picture and not just something that slants to fit your arguement. Thanks.

As for his "failures" on the recruiting trail, he's actually done a good job. Didn't we go about 4 straight years with Mickey D's? It had been quite a long time since that last happened and the results match that recruiting. The down year in recruiting brought us Sheehey and Oladipo. Not too bad, eh? It's not about lowered expectations as much as it is realistic expectations. What I do know is continually changing coaches in search of this mythical unicorn you're searching for only hinders the program even more. I prefer to be honest on where we are but please, continue to live in make believe land.

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
Oh, I see what the problem is. You're missing some key facts. "Those (recruiting) results for Crean" have taken us from no tourney/first round exits to 2 big ten titles (a #1 seed) to go along with those sweet 16 bids you mentioned. Very important to paint the entire picture and not just something that slants to fit your arguement. Thanks.

As for his "failures" on the recruiting trail, he's actually done a good job. Didn't we go about 4 straight years with Mickey D's? It had been quite a long time since that last happened and the results match that recruiting. The down year in recruiting brought us Sheehey and Oladipo. Not too bad, eh? It's not about lowered expectations as much as it is realistic expectations. What I do know is continually changing coaches in search of this mythical unicorn you're searching for only hinders the program even more. I prefer to be honest on where we are but please, continue to live in make believe land.

So, just to be clear, you're OK with high water marks of a S16 and B10 title every few years when we get a very favorable unbalanced schedule in a weak overall B10 and excuses for flameouts in the BTT, NCAAs and "down" years? You're right, we've got the perfect guy for you then!

BTW, You're right about one thing: the OP is wrong!

Recruiting is not the key reason that we aren't a top 10 program with regularity. There's also Crean's bench coaching, style of play and substitution "patterns".

No down years he has brought in guys that aren't BiG caliber players

So, just to be clear, you're OK with high water marks of a S16 and B10 title every few years when we get a very favorable unbalanced schedule in a weak overall B10 and excuses for flameouts in the BTT, NCAAs and "down" years? You're right, we've got the perfect guy for you then!

BTW, You're right about one thing: the OP is wrong!

Recruiting is not the key reason that we aren't a top 10 program with regularity. There's also Crean's bench coaching, style of play and substitution "patterns".

I think that just about sums it up.

I think with Crean it comes to hit or miss. He has hit on a few 3 star caliber guys but his percentages of hitting on those guys isn't high

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT