ADVERTISEMENT

Majority of Republicans believe US death toll of 170,000 is 'acceptable', poll finds

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Majority of Republicans believe US death toll of 170,000 is 'acceptable', poll finds
National poll reveals striking partisan differences on US handling of coronavirus
donald-trump-mask-ford-plant-michigan.jpg

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...aths-republicans-democrats-poll-a9684381.html

A majority of Republicans surveyed in a national poll believe the number of deaths from the coronavirus is “acceptable,” and hold positive views of the US response to the pandemic.

The new poll showed a significant partisan divide over how each party sees the health emergency, which is killing some 1,000 Americans every day.

Fifty-seven percent of Republicans surveyed agreed with the statement that the number of coronavirus deaths in the US — which this week reached over 176,000 — was “acceptable.”

Conversely, 90 percent of Democrats said the number of deaths was unacceptable, as did 67 percent of independents.

The poll was carried out by YouGov on behalf of CBS News, using a representative sample of 2,226 registered voters interviewed between August 19-21, 2020.

More than five million people in the US have been infected with the coronavirus since the pandemic began — more than any other country. While the number of new cases in the US have trended downward nationwide in recent weeks, fatalities have not. Most of the deaths are occurring in Arizona, Florida, California and Texas.

pasted-image-0-54.png

The CBS poll also found differences between Democrats and Republicans on how the US has handled the pandemic. Seventy-three percent of Republicans said the response was "going well", compared to just 38 percent of all voters.

As the presidential election campaign picks up pace, partisan differences in how each candidate views the coronavirus have also become clearer.

Mr Biden said this week he would not hesitate to shut down the country again if scientists recommended the measure to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Reactions: meridian
National poll reveals striking partisan differences on US handling of coronavirus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...aths-republicans-democrats-poll-a9684381.html

A majority of Republicans surveyed in a national poll believe the number of deaths from the coronavirus is “acceptable,” and hold positive views of the US response to the pandemic.

The new poll showed a significant partisan divide over how each party sees the health emergency, which is killing some 1,000 Americans every day.

Fifty-seven percent of Republicans surveyed agreed with the statement that the number of coronavirus deaths in the US — which this week reached over 176,000 — was “acceptable.”

Conversely, 90 percent of Democrats said the number of deaths was unacceptable, as did 67 percent of independents.

The poll was carried out by YouGov on behalf of CBS News, using a representative sample of 2,226 registered voters interviewed between August 19-21, 2020.

More than five million people in the US have been infected with the coronavirus since the pandemic began — more than any other country. While the number of new cases in the US have trended downward nationwide in recent weeks, fatalities have not. Most of the deaths are occurring in Arizona, Florida, California and Texas.

pasted-image-0-54.png

The CBS poll also found differences between Democrats and Republicans on how the US has handled the pandemic. Seventy-three percent of Republicans said the response was "going well", compared to just 38 percent of all voters.

As the presidential election campaign picks up pace, partisan differences in how each candidate views the coronavirus have also become clearer.

Mr Biden said this week he would not hesitate to shut down the country again if scientists recommended the measure to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Must be a pro life thing.

People are going to view this differently depending on how far removed they are from the real life ramifications of this disease. Not meaning to call him out, but stoll is one example. As this thing continues to spread, especially in "redder" areas and also among more middle aged and younger people, views are going to change.

People are going to view this differently depending on how far removed they are from the real life ramifications of this disease. Not meaning to call him out, but stoll is one example. As this thing continues to spread, especially in "redder" areas and also among more middle aged and younger people, views are going to change.

My father, sister & brother in law have fully recovered and no longer test positive. One of my uncles and two of my dad’s friends were not so lucky. Uncle passed today and dad’s two friends passed late last week. All still hard core Trumpers.

My father, sister & brother in law have fully recovered and no longer test positive. One of my uncles and two of my dad’s friends were not so lucky. Uncle passed today and dad’s two friends passed late last week. All still hard core Trumpers.
Sure, but do they still think it's a hoax or overblown or will be over on November 4th?

Sorry to hear about your uncle. That sucks.

Reactions: glmiu11 and RBB89

pasted-image-0-54.png

Reminds me of the old joke about recessions and depressions: When your neighbor loses his job it's a recession. When you lose your job it's a depression.

GOPers must figure that so long as somebody else is dying, it's "acceptable".

Reactions: sglowrider

Jesus H, that's awful! Sorry to hear my brother.

:(

Reactions: glmiu11
I am sorry to hear that BHE. Uncles can be special people, and real friends are hard to come by. Big losses . . . each of them.

Reactions: glmiu11

Sorry to hear about that. Hang in there.

Mass delusions? It's the only explanation I can come up with.
It is a bone fide CULT. With ministers like VPM buying in and recruiting.

Not all the supporters, of course, but the ones who basically claim that DJT was sent by God. Scary. I have 2 family members in this cult.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Mass delusions? It's the only explanation I can come up with.
It is a bone fide CULT. With ministers like VPM buying in and recruiting.

Not all the supporters, of course, but the ones who basically claim that DJT was sent by God. Scary. I have 2 family members in this cult.
I though maybe it could be compared to the George Wallace movement, but I don't remember even the Wallace people being this crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT