ADVERTISEMENT

Mail in voting for thee......

You know there's a difference between mail-in voting and absentee voting, don't you? Don't you?

Voting is voting. Bezos and Amazon claim mail-in voting isn't as accurate as in-person voting. No shit.

What is the difference?

What is the difference?

There is none.

It is like the people that order stuff over the phone thinking it is safer than ordering online when the person on the other end of the phone is entering their order on their computer.

Reactions: cosmickid

We rate the news for bias and reliability using a rigorous methodology and a politically balanced team of analysts.

"
Amateur attempts at such tools already exist, and have found plenty of fans. Google “media bias,” and you’ll find Media Bias/Fact Check, run by armchair media analyst Dave Van Zandt. The site’s methodology is simple: Van Zandt and his team rate each outlet from 0 to 10 on the categories of biased wording and headlines, factuality and sourcing, story choices (“does the source report news from both sides”), and political affiliation.

A similar effort is “The Media Bias Chart,” or simply, “The Chart.” Created by Colorado patent attorney Vanessa Otero, the chart has gone through several methodological iterations, but currently is based on her evaluation of outlets’ stories on dimensions of veracity, fairness, and expression.

Both efforts suffer from the very problem they’re trying to address: Their subjective assessments leave room for human biases, or even simple inconsistencies, to creep in. Compared to Gentzkow and Shapiro, the five to 20 stories typically judged on these sites represent but a drop of mainstream news outlets’ production.

Then there are the organizations with declared agendas. The Media Research Center and Media Matters for America scour the news for evidence of left-wing and right-wing bias, respectively. The MRC’s vice president for research and publications, Brent Baker, doesn’t see a need to agree a suite of universal bias measures, because he’s confident in the organization’s existing quantitative methodology."

Reactions: DANC
Should we make voting easy so more people vote, or make it cumbersome so that only the more serious voters participate?

With today's technology we should be able to virtually eliminate fraud with say mail in voting.

DANC did you just rip on Shooter because he pointed out Steve Bannon's Brietbart is a right wing propaganda site and then a few posts later laugh at a media study that he gave you to back his claim?

Thats what I like about you when you argue, you have your go to style regardless if it contradicts itself...you just keep plowing ahead.

Seriously, it cracks me up.
No, that's not why I ripped on him. There are plenty of news sources that have a conservative or liberal bent I dont deny Breibart leans conservative.

What I pointed out to him is that a political bent doesn't make something true or untrue. If it's factual, who cares?

I'm sorry you don't read what I write carefully enough.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
The question I have is why does he prefer in person voting? Amazon handles the shipping and return of millions of dollars in product every day.
He only prefers in-person voting when it's HIS company. He doesn't mind it in the general election because he's a hypocrtie.

What I pointed out to him is that a political bent doesn't make something true or untrue. If it's factual, who cares?

I'm sorry you don't read what I write carefully enough.

What I pointed out to you is that fact-checking of news media sources, and ranking of their accuracy, is widely-done, by many different methodologies. Might some of those methods be flawed? Sure.

But show me one single analysis that compares Breibart, in ACCCURACY ALONE, favorably with ANY other news source. I don't think that you can, unless it is an analysis BY Breitbart.

I am sorry that reading comprehension and critical thinking are not your strong suits.

What is the difference?
The difference is that in absentee voting, you have to ask for a ballot and are then verified as a registered voter.

In the way mail-in voting was handled in the US, ballots were sent out to addresses, unasked, that were not verified. Anyone could fill them in who was a resident at that location.

They both use the US mail, which may contribute to the confusion.

What I pointed out to you is that fact-checking of news media sources, and ranking of their accuracy, is widely-done, by many different methodologies. Might some of those methods be flawed? Sure.

But show me one single analysis that compares Breibart, in ACCCURACY ALONE, favorably with ANY other news source. I don't think that you can, unless it is an analysis BY Breitbart.

I am sorry that reading comprehension and critical thinking are not your strong suits.
Facts are facts, no matter where you find them. I'm sorry that simple truth eludes you.

You know there's a difference between mail-in voting and absentee voting, don't you? Don't you?
What is it?

Despite these claims, which sound consequential, there is no meaningful difference between “absentee ballots” and “vote-by-mail ballots.” The terms are often used interchangeably. Moreover, they are both secure forms of voting.

In terms of security, both mail-in and absentee ballots are paper ballots hand-marked by the voter, which the National Conference of State Legislatures considers the “gold standard of election security.” Forty-four states have signature verification protocols for mail ballots.

Breitbart makes it easy for you - it prints a portion of the article so anyone can read it. If it's inaccurate, I'm sure some really smart Leftist will show that it's inaccurate. But it's not.

"
On Thursday, Amazon filed an appeal to a decision by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), which is allowing employees to vote by mail due to coronavirus risks instead of holding in-person elections. The ballots are set to be mail to around 6,000 workers associated with Amazon’s facility in Bessemer, Alabama, on February 8.

In the petition, Amazon said the NLRB’s decision was flawed as it had not adequately defined an outbreak, along with a number of other objections. Workers at Amazon’s facility are seeking representation from the Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union.

If a majority of ballots vote in favor of unionization, it would be the first time that hourly Amazon workers have formed or joined a union in the United States.

Amazon declined to comment on the appeal but stated that it believes the best approach to an election would be having it conducted in person, stating that it “provided the NLRB with a safe, confidential and convenient proposal for associates to vote on-site, which is in the best interest of all parties—associate convenience, vote fidelity and timeliness of vote count.”

The question is why would Bezos prefer in person voting? There are only two viable reasons I can think of.

One would be inaccuracy. But there are ways to insure accuracy. We allow our military to vote by mail. We allow our elderly to vote by mail. Shareholders vote for board members by mail. We have never been concerned about the accuracy of those votes.

The second would be if you think you are more likely to get the outcome you want. If Bezos thinks that he’s more likely to get the outcome he wants, why wouldn’t he prefer in person voting?

And that is really the issue. Everywhere a vote is held someone is concerned about the outcome. We have historical evidence that the non-military mail in vote favors liberals. So why in the world would any conservative support mail in voting? Just like Bezos they favor the process that is more likely to provide the outcome they want.

Actually I believe with a little digging you can hear a Republican strategist come right out and say that. I don’t have the link but I’ll see if I can find it later. But he comes right out and says we don’t like the mail in vote because it favors Democrat‘s. He doesn’t say anything about accuracy, just the unvarnished truth, it doesn’t favor Republicans.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
The question is why would Bezos prefer in person voting? There are only two viable reasons I can think of.

One would be inaccuracy. But there are ways to insure accuracy. We allow our military to vote by mail. We allow our elderly to vote by mail. Shareholders vote for board members by mail. We have never been concerned about the accuracy of those votes.

The second would be if you think you are more likely to get the outcome you want. If Bezos thinks that he’s more likely to get the outcome he wants, why wouldn’t he prefer in person voting?

And that is really the issue. Everywhere a vote is held someone is concerned about the outcome. We have historical evidence that the non-military mail in vote favors liberals. So why in the world would any conservative support mail in voting? Just like Bezos they favor the process that is more likely to provide the outcome they want.

Actually I believe with a little digging you can hear a Republican strategist come right out and say that. I don’t have the link but I’ll see if I can find it later. But he comes right out and says we don’t like the mail in vote because it favors Democrat‘s. He doesn’t say anything about accuracy, just the unvarnished truth, it doesn’t favor Republicans.
I'm not sure why you think a nameless Republican strategist shoulld represent the entire Republican party, but I personally am against pure mail-in voting - ballots sent out to an address that hasn't been verified to a person whose registration hasn't been verified - because it's an open invitation for voter fraud. Anyone who receives the ballot can fill it in and send it in.

Reactions: 76-1
What is it?

Despite these claims, which sound consequential, there is no meaningful difference between “absentee ballots” and “vote-by-mail ballots.” The terms are often used interchangeably. Moreover, they are both secure forms of voting.

In terms of security, both mail-in and absentee ballots are paper ballots hand-marked by the voter, which the National Conference of State Legislatures considers the “gold standard of election security.” Forty-four states have signature verification protocols for mail ballots.

See my other responses. I'm tired of answering the same question over and over.

Reactions: 76-1
Should we make voting easy so more people vote, or make it cumbersome so that only the more serious voters participate?

With today's technology we should be able to virtually eliminate fraud with say mail in voting.

That question is a little ironic when you stop and think about it. Because the level of seriousness changes based on circumstance. If you are over age 65 in the state of Indiana you don’t have to be very serious, just request your ballot and vote in the comfort of your home. If you are under age 65 but live in Hamilton county you can early vote with virtually no lines and no wait. So you have to be serious enough to make a 10 minute drive. If you live in Marion county and want to vote early you need to be a little more serious. People reported 2 hour waits just to vote early in Marion county.

Reactions: UncleMark and DANC

Voting is voting. Bezos and Amazon claim mail-in voting isn't as accurate as in-person voting. No shit.

I voted by mail in Indiana, which had the exact same mailing rules as Michigan and PA. Trump complained about MI and PA, but NOT Indiana... I wonder why DWS???

Indiana has a GOP Legislature and Gov and election officials. PA and MI each have GOP Legislatures, but as a result of the 2018 midterms they have Dem Governors and a mix when it comes to state offices...

Both MI and PA elected Legislation (in GOP Held Legislatures) to revise voting procedures in 2019 (prior to Covid), and the measure was approved by MI voters by nearly 75%. The PA changes were passed with 2 or 3 dissenting votes in a bi-partisan measure, again in 2019. Indiana on the other hand saw the GOP Governor and election officials revise procedures unilaterally in the summer of 2020.

I actually applaud the changes the GOP made in IN, but it's highly instructive that Trump complained about states like MI and PA and not IN, FL or NC. They all have the basic same mail-in procedures in place, and NC allowed ballots to be received and counted later than any of the other 4 states.

Trump's a hypocritical idiot that makes false claims that stupid people accept at face value. Even some of Trump's own judicial appointees knew he was fabricating and trying to create a case that simply did not exist. Do I need to post the links?

Biden won the mail vote in nearly every single district in the US, even ruby-red districts where the ballots were printed mailed out, and counted by Pro-Trump Election officials. Trump urged people not to vote by mail, so he could claim it was a fraudulent process. Trump's own polling told him if everyone who was eligible to vote voted, then he would lose. That's why he went out of his way to try and suppress the anti-Trump vote- his own polling told him he had fewer folks who supported him than those that opposed him...

Btw, I get a mail ballot for United Trust as a United stockholder. I assure you it is NOTHING like the ballot I utilized in voting for President Biden, and the procedures are not remotely close. The same is true of ballots Bezos would send out to Amazon constituents. That's where your kindergarten-level argument falls completely apart...

The difference is that in absentee voting, you have to ask for a ballot and are then verified as a registered voter.

In the way mail-in voting was handled in the US, ballots were sent out to addresses, unasked, that were not verified. Anyone could fill them in who was a resident at that location.

How many red states do mail-in voting the way you object to? Surely there are some. Have you checked whether they comply with your standards?

Your criticism doesn't mean much unless you can show that the problem is inherently in the use of US Mail. If red states use mail ballots the same way as blue states, you need to make clear you are objecting to all of them.

When I heard Republicans say they were challenging mailed ballots for President in Georgia for reason of irregularities, but were not challenging the same ballots on the same pieces of paper for the down-ticket races, I knew these claims of election fraud were probably garbage.

After all, if a mailed paper ballot is invalid because (for example) it was late, then every single vote on that ballot (county commissioner, state senator, dogcatcher etc.) should be treated the same way (valid or invalid) not just to invalidate the part of the paper ballot voting for President.

If election law purists want to investigate the election procedures in all 50 states, D.C. and U.S.'possessions and territories, I'd be in favor. Right now all we're hearing are nebulous claims of unproven "voter fraud" in states that Trump lost.

I voted by mail in Indiana, which had the exact same mailing rules as Michigan and PA. Trump complained about MI and PA, but NOT Indiana... I wonder why DWS???

Indiana has a GOP Legislature and Gov and election officials. PA and MI each have GOP Legislatures, but as a result of the 2018 midterms they have Dem Governors and a mix when it comes to state offices...

Both MI and PA elected Legislation (in GOP Held Legislatures) to revise voting procedures in 2019 (prior to Covid), and the measure was approved by MI voters by nearly 75%. The PA changes were passed with 2 or 3 dissenting votes in a bi-partisan measure, again in 2019. Indiana on the other hand saw the GOP Governor and election officials revise procedures unilaterally in the summer of 2020.

I actually applaud the changes the GOP made in IN, but it's highly instructive that Trump complained about states like MI and PA and not IN, FL or NC. They all have the basic same mail-in procedures in place, and NC allowed ballots to be received and counted later than any of the other 4 states.

Trump's a hypocritical idiot that makes false claims that stupid people accept at face value. Even some of Trump's own judicial appointees knew he was fabricating and trying to create a case that simply did not exist. Do I need to post the links?

Biden won the mail vote in nearly every single district in the US, even ruby-red districts where the ballots were printed mailed out, and counted by Pro-Trump Election officials. Trump urged people not to vote by mail, so he could claim it was a fraudulent process. Trump's own polling told him if everyone who was eligible to vote voted, then he would lose. That's why he went out of his way to try and suppress the anti-Trump vote- his own polling told him he had fewer folks who supported him than those that opposed him...

Btw, I get a mail ballot for United Trust as a United stockholder. I assure you it is NOTHING like the ballot I utilized in voting for President Biden, and the procedures are not remotely close. The same is true of ballots Bezos would send out to Amazon constituents. That's where your kindergarten-level argument falls completely apart...
Did you just receive a ballot in the mail, without asking? Or did you request an absentee ballot?

Totally depends on where you live.

In Florida, there is absolutely no difference, whatsoever.

The concept of "absentee voting" simply does not exist. There is one system, called VBM, for vote by mail. Any registered voter can request it. No "reason" needs to be specified. It has been in place for years, with no complaints and no allegations of fraud.

It is no surprise that the gop was only worried about fraud in states that dems won.

Had excuses when it was pointed out that changes to mail in voting also happened in states that the GOP won.

How many red states do mail-in voting the way you object to? Surely there are some. Have you checked whether they comply with your standards?

Your criticism doesn't mean much unless you can show that the problem is inherently in the use of US Mail. If red states use mail ballots the same way as blue states, you need to make clear you are objecting to all of them.

When I heard Republicans say they were challenging mailed ballots for President in Georgia for reason of irregularities, but were not challenging the same ballots on the same pieces of paper for the down-ticket races, I knew these claims of election fraud were probably garbage.

After all, if a mailed paper ballot is invalid because (for example) it was late, then every single vote on that ballot (county commissioner, state senator, dogcatcher etc.) should be treated the same way (valid or invalid) not just to invalidate the part of the paper ballot voting for President.

If election law purists want to investigate the election procedures in all 50 states, D.C. and U.S.'possessions and territories, I'd be in favor. Right now all we're hearing are nebulous claims of unproven "voter fraud" in states that Trump lost.
I agree with you about down-ticket races - they should be verified just as a Presidential vote is. If a ballot if found to be illegally cast, why would any vote on that ballot count

And I totally agree with your last sentence. That's why the Texas AG filed the Supreme Court suit - which the SC wouldn't hear. Their argument was that, if a state was violating its own election laws, which at least Pennsylvania certainly did when their Secretary of State changed election laws on his own, then it affected the entire US election.

I'm glad to see you're coming around to the conservative point of view.

The concept of "absentee voting" simply does not exist. There is one system, called VBM, for vote by mail. Any registered voter can request it. No "reason" needs to be specified. It has been in place for years, with no complaints and no allegations of fraud.

The same applies to Ohio. The Secretary of State calls it "Absentee Voting by Mail" to cover all the bases. Anyone can vote by mail with no reason given.

I'm not sure why you think a nameless Republican strategist shoulld represent the entire Republican party, but I personally am against pure mail-in voting - ballots sent out to an address that hasn't been verified to a person whose registration hasn't been verified - because it's an open invitation for voter fraud. Anyone who receives the ballot can fill it in and send it in.

But that’s not the way it works. You must be a registered voter, meaning you have already gone through a verification process. And you request a ballot, and at that time verify your specifics. if it isn’t secure (it is) let’s get rid of it entirely. Because this idea that it’s OK for the military and people over age 65 is bullshit. If it isn’t secure it shouldn’t be used for anyone.

I don't know the voting laws in Florida, so I'll take you at your word.

But I do know that Florida counted mail-in and absentee votes as they came in. They didn't wait until Trump was ahead and then start counting those votes, as in every other swing state except Ohio. And both Florida and Ohio reported results the night of the election. Not 5 days later.

If you are requesting a ballot, that is different than the state sending a ballot to an address that's on past registration records, but with no verification that the residence is valid or that the registered voter still lives there.

• Haha

but that isn’t true.

But that’s not the way it works. You must be a registered voter, meaning you have already gone through a verification process. And you request a ballot, and at that time verify your specifics. if it isn’t secure (it is) let’s get rid of it entirely. Because this idea that it’s OK for the military and people over age 65 is bullshit. If it isn’t secure it shouldn’t be used for anyone.

It is only secure if the vote is for a republican.

I don't know the voting laws in Florida, so I'll take you at your word.

But I do know that Florida counted mail-in and absentee votes as they came in. They didn't wait until Trump was ahead and then start counting those votes, as in every other swing state except Ohio. And both Florida and Ohio reported results the night of the election. Not 5 days later.

If you are requesting a ballot, that is different than the state sending a ballot to an address that's on past registration records, but with no verification that the residence is valid or that the registered voter still lives there.

Why would it even matter when votes are counted?

Are we punishing the voter because the state waited to count them?

A vote is a vote period. If a voter followed the rules allowed by their state then it is a valid vote.

And if you believe those votes being counted had anything to do with whether or not trump was leading then you are a gullible dumbass.

"Trump is behind so lets just not count these mail-in votes...oh wait, trump is ahead...lets count these mail-in votes now just to piss him off"

Last edited:
Not sure how you made those connections.

Bush had three major crises.... the dot.com crash, 9/11 and the financial meltdown.

Unemployment under Bush was double digits.

That's not a stock market Thang, that's a US economy thang that was felt from Wal street to Main street.

Still even enduring those three crises, Bush still created more jobs than he lost, unlike Trump and every single president since Truman.

The 'I built the greatest economy in history' was just another narcissist lie.

He did juice the stock market with those tax cuts for the rich, and the rich got richer.

The working class got its ass handed to them by Trump.

You guys are speaking more Bernie's language but I don't think you even realize it (if you are truly concerned about the working class which I have my doubts).
They did really? Explain how they got their ass handed to them? For starters the things you bring up still had known factors vs this mess the Chinese unleashed . Did any of the crises you have talked about make people scared to go to work? Scared to go to the grocery store? You are comparing apples and oranges. I remember just before Easter going very early to Meier in a not urban area to best describe and there were 4 police cars in the parking lot, store was eerily empty, shelves empty , people hoarding toilet paper which still amazes me of all the things to be concerned about? I didnt even think about buying any always have some ahead and can figure that one out. So you blame that all on Trump? Tell me when Trump swhoosed a pen and destroyed jobs? Closest you can come to is perhaps in shipping yards that import shit from China. Speaking Bernie's language? Wrong again he wants the people that do actually work to give the ones that don't more free stuff.

Actually, ballot APPLICATIONS were sent out to people living at US addresses, which then had to be signed and returned. And when you send in a ballot it still has to be addressed to you and signed by you.

I know because I misunderstood the instructions for my Primary ballot, and thought it had to be postmarked by a certain date. The reality was that it had to be RECEIVED by a specific date, and as a result, my Primary ballot was disallowed.

Btw, THAT is also why Primary ballots in most states had to have a "party distinction", so you could only vote in either a Dem or GOP Primary and not both. There is a viral video of Trump-supporting morons in FL whining about their Primary ballot envelope showing a "party affiliation", when the truth is they need to know WHICH ballot to send you. Lots of IDIOTS on the derailed "Trump Train"...

This is such an infantile argument you're trying to make. It's almost like something Trump would claim...

Ballots were sent out to BOTH GOP,Dem and even non-affiliated voters by the local Election officials. People all across the US who RETURNED those ballots voted overwhelmingly for Biden.

That's why Trump lost a state like GA because Biden (via mail votes) cut heavily into his margin in very pro-Trump districts. In all likelihood, people who wanted to vote for Biden in ruby-red districts voted by mail when if they had had to go to the polls and stand in long lines they probably would have stayed home.

This was especially true in MI and PA, as people who were NOT motivated to go out and vote for Clinton in 2016 were able to mail in votes for Biden in 2020. THAT is why the GOP HATES mail-in balloting- it ENCOURAGES people to vote. That's the goal of VOTER SUPPRESSION, to make it as difficult to vote as possible. The problem is voting is a RIGHT, not a mere privilege...

We sure as hell didn't. How long did it take Obama to get the website running for his grand healthcare plan that screwed us all over anyway? I remember a clip from Holmes on Homes , some remodeling show and he said the first thing you always want to do is check with the government(granted it is from Canada). That is the last thing you want to do because the Government can screw more things up faster than the entirety of the rest of businesses put together

Reactions: zeke4ahs and DANC
Ballots were sent out to BOTH GOP,Dem and even non-affiliated voters by the local Election officials. People all across the US who RETURNED those ballots voted overwhelmingly for Biden.
And you don't think that is strange? In trying to make some point you just prove how dumb you are

Florida counted mail-in and absentee votes as they came in. They didn't wait until Trump was ahead and then start counting those votes, as in every other swing state except Ohio. And both Florida and Ohio reported results the night of the election. Not 5 days later.
Many states, including Pennsylvania, requested that they be able to count mail-in and absentee votes as they came in and not wait. They KNEW that early /interim vote counts would be deceptive, otherwise.

Such requests were repeated denied by Republican lawmakers, who knew that the in-person voting would be skewed towards Trump and so any deviation from the early percentages could be, with a seemingly straight face, blamed on fraud.

It was a strategy. You were duped by it, rube.

What isn't true?

Never mind, I actually agree with you. If states are sending ballots out to people who haven’t requested them I agree there is a security issue. So, if every state agreed to handle the process in the same manner as absentee ballots you would be OK with it?

At least we agree on something.
Wow a real sign of maturity changing a post and reposting.You want me to do it for you? How is kindergarten today dumbass? We can agree that you are an idiot, but hey keep doing what you need to do to give your life meaning. You never answered my question would you know a hickory tree or hickory nut if it hit you?

I agree with you about down-ticket races - they should be verified just as a Presidential vote is. If a ballot if found to be illegally cast, why would any vote on that ballot count

And I totally agree with your last sentence. That's why the Texas AG filed the Supreme Court suit - which the SC wouldn't hear. Their argument was that, if a state was violating its own election laws, which at least Pennsylvania certainly did when their Secretary of State changed election laws on his own, then it affected the entire US election.

I'm glad to see you're coming around to the conservative point of view.
Nice try, but no I'm not.

Actually, my reason for supporting a nationwide study/investigation of voting procedures is that I believe this woukd establish (1) as a percentage of total votes cast, not very many voting irregularities occur; and (2) voting irregularities that do occur do not favor one side or the other but instead occur across the political spectrum. If I'm right, such a study would go a long way to debunk all these unproven claims of "election fraud", stolen elections.", etc.

Trump was claiming as early as 2016 that dead people were voting. Regardless whether anyone believes that, it's time to reestablish that our election system has integrity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT