ADVERTISEMENT

Maher on Woke Penal Code

You're talking about two different things entirely. First you're saying Republicans are "too scared" to call out their own. I gave you examples of people who have routinely done so. Now the goalpost is moved to: but they removed her from a leadership position. Leadership in the minority party requires all three to be on the same page. McCarthy and Cheney obviously were not regarding the 2020 election.

Do better Vanderpuke.
Whatever you say, Auerbach. ;)

Reactions: F.Fletch
You're talking about two different things entirely. First you're saying Republicans are "too scared" to call out their own. I gave you examples of people who have routinely done so. Now the goalpost is moved to: but they removed her from a leadership position. Leadership in the minority party requires all three to be on the same page. McCarthy and Cheney obviously were not regarding the 2020 election.

Do better Vanderpuke.
Oh, and I get your point...but my point was that lately, conservatives in office sure seem to be lashing out at those few who have spoken out against a certain former prez.

And many still insist Trump isn't leading the Republican party.

**Narrator - "He is"**
I think Trump probably is still the national GOP leader, because I can't think of any other Republican that has as much influence as he does.

Nonetheless, recent election results appear mixed. Trump-backed Mike Carey won his Ohio primary, but Trump-backed Susan Wright lost her Texas special election.

Good grief....
Adam Kinzinger
Lynn Cheney
Hell, John McCain made a career out of sticking his thumb in conservatives' eyes.

Most true conservatives probably agree with Kinzinger and Cheney on 75-80% of political issues.
That's a terrific and fascinating distinction you've noted, Fletch. Democrats disown and push out a fellow liberal that they agree with on policy terms when they sexually harass someone. Republicans disown and push out a fellow conservative that they agree with on policy terms when they oppose Donald Trump. Enlightening to see where each party is drawing its lines of what's not acceptable.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Oh, and I get your point...but my point was that lately, conservatives in office sure seem to be lashing out at those few who have spoken out against a certain former prez.
Sure, I really think the Republican Party is still going through some changes both policy wise and demographically. The old Reagan three legs of the footstool (Defense hawks, Chamber of Commerce types, and Moral Majority types) is being replaced by Trump-era populism.
I think Newt Gingrich called it the circular firing squad. Republicans tend to do that from time to time. 😁

Last edited:
That's a terrific and fascinating distinction you've noted, Fletch. Democrats disown and push out a fellow liberal that they agree with on policy terms when they sexually harass someone. Republicans disown and push out a fellow conservative that they agree with on policy terms when they oppose Donald Trump. Enlightening to see where each party is drawing its lines of what's not acceptable.
Uh, huh.....
Really enlightening.
What happened to?

Bob Packwood
Bob Livingstone
Mark Foley

All Republicans
I can go on.

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
Uh, huh.....
Really enlightening.
What happened to?

Bob Packwood
Bob Livingstone
Mark Foley

All Republicans
I can go on.

So, you're saying that you're not enlightening? You do make a good point.

And glad to see you were able to offer one example from this century. So, do you think mcmurtry will vote for Greitens or is he sitting that one out like he did the 2020 Presidential election?

Yes, too often the nominee of the Republican party has been viewed fairly or unfairly as a "cake eater." Romney being the prime example. Even, the distinguished military heroes like Bush 41, Dole, and McCain were not viewed as political fighters.

Republicans viewed Trump as the guy who is gonna bring the tire iron to the political playground. I think DeSantis is cut from the same cloth.
But why do we need a tire iron in politics? Do you think it benefited the country at all? He said mean things to people you don’t like. So what? That’s a zero.

But why do we need a tire iron in politics? Do you think it benefited the country at all? He said mean things to people you don’t like. So what? That’s a zero.
He meant antiestablishment. The 30-40 entrenched senators/reps. The buy ins for committees. Someone bold enough to buck the system. That has long been the appeal of an outsider. I'd still like to see it. Trump was the worst possible candidate for it bc now he's poisoned the waters for outsiders

It’s wasn’t saying mean things. It was taking on the politicians that never leave DC and really never get much done. It was saying what might not be politically correct.

I don’t know about you but I just want the folks on both sides to say straight up what they want to do. No bullshit candy coating things. Telling us the truth where we’re at and what we need to do. Tell us social security is going broke. These are the options to fix it and this is one I am for.

Trump may not have accomplished that but a lot of people thought he might with his blunt talk and actions.

I think you underestimate Trumps influence, but I agree with you that this a base play by DeSantis. Trump shined a light on that base and now the opportunists are trying to be Trumpy to gain that support. Only time will tell if we see trucks driving around with DeSantis flags anytime soon.
Cortez, taking your thoughts further, I would argue Trump not only developed a base but actually carried a lot of of states and House districts whose elected representatives seem to be afraid of not towing to what they perceive to be the Trump agenda.

In terms of their elective future, how can you fault them ?.

He meant antiestablishment. The 30-40 entrenched senators/reps. The buy ins for committees. Someone bold enough to buck the system. That has long been the appeal of an outsider. I'd still like to see it. Trump was the worst possible candidate for it bc now he's poisoned the waters for outsiders
Some years ago I read a quote from a woman from Florida interviewed outside a Trump rally. She was asked why she so fervently supported Trump. She answered, “Because he hates the same people I hate.” I remember that hit me. Wow. This woman hates so many of her fellow Americans. Worse, she believed the POTUS felt the same way. It was then I knew we were very far from hope and change. I fear that anger and hatred is a lasting feature.

Some years ago I read a quote from a woman from Florida interviewed outside a Trump rally. She was asked why she so fervently supported Trump. She answered, “Because he hates the same people I hate.” I remember that hit me. Wow. This woman hates so many of her fellow Americans. Worse, she believed the POTUS felt the same way. It was then I knew we were very far from hope and change. I fear that anger and hatred is a lasting feature.
I just don’t believe most supporters of Trump supported him out of hate for others.

I was shocked at the hate exhibited during the summer of love.

He just admitted to being a Kevin.

Look at me, look at me, I'm wearing my vaccination card on my chest, because I need attention to compensate for an ineffectual social/sexual life...

lol ..

Yea, i used the wrong word, you're not a "Chad", you're definitely a Kevin.
Hi Kevin. Nice of you to introduce yourself by name.

Reactions: DANC
It absolutely is. Alive and well in both parties, unfortunately.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It's just funny hearing Trumpers extoll the virtues of Bill Maher, who loves to lampoon evangelical Christians (Trump's base) for their abject stupidity. I agree with him on that. There is plenty of nonsense from him to disagree with though.

He's a comedian. He's no font of knowledge. He's not Neil deGrasse Tyson.
And yet, most leftists today get their news from comedians like him, Jimmy Kimmel, and Stephen Colbert. And they worshiped John Stewart.

I imagine you did, too.

The great irony is that Trump was the ultimate establishment insider. He came from family money, used it to skillfully work the system to his advantage, played the game with elected officials like a pro, and then somehow convinced people that he was something other than a creature completely of and from said establishment. And, all while bellowing about how he would smash the system, he continued his grifting manipulation of that system into the White House and back out again.

The great irony is that Trump was the ultimate establishment insider. He came from family money, used it to skillfully work the system to his advantage, played the game with elected officials like a pro, and then somehow convinced people that he was something other than a creature completely of and from said establishment. And, all while bellowing about how he would smash the system, he continued his grifting manipulation of that system into the White House and back out again.
Cool story, bro.

All you can do is shake your head. Trump was an inside DC guy. Lol.
Yeah, and he really worked the Presidency to his economic advantage, didn't he?

These people only know what they're told by the media and Dim leadership. They think if they repeat something often enough, it will make it true.

No hoosboot is saying that trump's the same establishment - just a different zip code and nongovernmental title. But moved in and out of the system currying favors nonest never could. Same shit difft side of the coin .
Look, I know you are an anti-Trump guy, and of course he was born into privilege. But to claim he was an insider in DC? No, he wasn't. Not even close.

And again, how did he work the Presidency to his economic advantage?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Look, I know you are an anti-Trump guy, and of course he was born into privilege. But to claim he was an insider in DC? No, he wasn't. Not even close.

And again, how did he work the Presidency to his economic advantage?
It's not that he was an insider in dc it's that he's establishment. Hence not truly an outsider

It's not that he was an insider in dc it's that he's establishment. Hence not truly an outsider
So anyone who is successful is establishment and can't be an outsider?

Don't let your personal hate for the man overcome what's obvious - Trump was the ultimate outsider. Sure, he worked the system and many of those who claim to hate him now were his biggest supporters when he was writing checks to them.

But the FBI, CIA, and US intelligence agencies don't make shit up for one of their own.

So anyone who is successful is establishment and can't be an outsider?

Don't let your personal hate for the man overcome what's obvious - Trump was the ultimate outsider. Sure, he worked the system and many of those who claim to hate him now were his biggest supporters when he was writing checks to them.

But the FBI, CIA, and US intelligence agencies don't make shit up for one of their own.
I don't hate trump at all. I think he's entertaining and I miss his press conferences etc. trump wasn't your typical anonymous business man. He's always been political and ingratiated himself in that world. If someone wants to include him in the country's establishment I won't object. In that way he's not an outsider.

It might be dumb but some are sick of Fauci, CDC and other supposed experts giving us dumb edicts regarding Covid.

I had an appointment today at The Eye Center in Bloomington. Bloomington is back with masking. I dutifully wore my special made IU Hoosiers Red and White Mask into the Docs office. For fun I proudly penned by Vaccine Card above my heart. Some chuckled and some didn’t. I told the receptionist they needed a candy bowl to reward the vaccinated patients.
Grow up

No thanks. Might as well practice for the vaccine passport times that are a comin.
Too bad it has to come to this, but thanks for doing your part by being vaccinated. I mean that

Last edited:

Well done, mcm. You nailed it and got danc and stoll to perfectly show why Trump's ruse was effective.

So, what's your read on Greitens? The Comeback Kid or Buying A One Way Ticket To Loserville?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
Well done, mcm. You nailed it and got danc and stoll to perfectly show why Trump's ruse was effective.

So, what's your read on Greitens? The Comeback Kid or Buying A One Way Ticket To Loserville?
I haven't followed it too closely but I suspect he'll win. You know he has a doctorate from Oxford. Hawley has an undergrad degree from Stanford and a law degree from Yale. It's a weird phenomenon to watch super smart people behave so opportunistically. I heard greitens the other day promising to "get to the bottom of the presidential election" if elected. Wtf. I don't know. The mayor, Cori Bush, mccloskey, hawley, greitens - it's a race to the bottom for the state boasting the worst politicians and we're the clear leader[/QUOTE]

• Sad
Reactions: hoosboot
Too bad it has to come to this, but thanks for doing your part by being vaccinated. I mean that
I’ve been vaccinated and my office has followed all guidance the entire time of the pandemic. My office has followed in spite of other CPA firms not doing so.

That being said, I reached the point of not having any confidence in what Biden, Fauci, CDC and other agencies tell us. I will voice my opinion but will continue to follow what they tell us to do.

Reactions: The Vid
I’ve been vaccinated and my office has followed all guidance the entire time of the pandemic. My office has followed in spite of other CPA firms not doing so.

That being said, I reached the point of not having any confidence in what Biden, Fauci, CDC and other agencies tell us. I will voice my opinion but will continue to follow what they tell us to do.
They have no incentive to lie, especially since the election is over. The problem is it’s a fluid situation, sometimes they are wrong and have to change directives.

I don’t understand why people think Fauci and the CDC are intentionally jerking people around on this.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
no i don't think masks do much. i think that was demonstrated by data comparing counties/states w/ mask mandates vs. those without. i think that covid moved like a forest fire and if you were unlucky enough to be in a hot spot masks did little to mitigate the numbers. and i agree people wear old masks, the wrong masks, ill fitting masks, on and on. but masks became a political lightning rod for no reason when the inconvenience of wearing them is negligible. maybe they help 5% great. wear it. certainly preferable to lockdowns. it's just not worth fighting over imo

This is what is going on with masks.
Rubio literally ends this with "get vaccinated! That's the answer"

Downplaying vaccine efficacy to justify a masking obsession is a real problem right now and there is nothing wrong with Rubio calling it out while encouraging vaccinations.

The media sucks.

They have no incentive to lie, especially since the election is over. The problem is it’s a fluid situation, sometimes they are wrong and have to change directives.

I don’t understand why people think Fauci and the CDC are intentionally jerking people around on this.
So explain why the Biden Administration is flying and busing unvaccinated illegal immigrants to Florida and other states?

Desantis speech yesterday responding to Biden lies on Tuesday.

A lot of people in this board could learn a lot from Maher. He’s a flaming, weed smoking liberal who often times disagrees with liberal policies and positions. How? He is an independent thinker. If you find yourself nodding your head in agreement with every policy from your preferred party, you are not an independent thinker. You are a partisan hack.

those at the highest levels of funding, thus influencing, DNC policy and behavior, do not have the same political/economic/societal agendas, as most even progressive liberals.

most even progressive liberals aren't remotely as wacko as those the DNC shines the light on.

as i've said here many times even before the 2016 or 2020 elections, don't ever assume those most powerful regarding DNC policies and agendas, actually want Dems winning elections.

one would need be extremely naive to believe Comcast/NBC, AT&T/CNN, or any big corporate entity funding the DNC, wants Dems, especially pro working class Dems, ever controlling congress and the executive branch again..

the DNC stood for Joe Worker and held the house and senate pretty much non stop from 1933 to 1996 because they stood for Joe Worker.

it's not that those at the highest levels don't know that supporting Joe Worker is the ticket to winning elections and controlling congress..

it's that winning elections no longer is the goal.

it's controlling the policies, regardless of which side they both own wins.

especially since those that now control the DNC, also control the RNC, and have for a lot longer than they have owned the DNC.

it's not personal, it's just BU$INE$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: outside shooter
I agree there is a lot of stupidity with appropriation, but there is some small kernel to it. You can track down the article that Mahar based his story on. Surfing was huge in Hawaii, it was part of the religion of the Hawaiians. When Hawaii was colonized, missionaries showed up telling natives that they had to quit surfing and at the same time business people showed up selling surfing to tourists.

Even if the missionaries hadn't tried to stop surfing among native Hawaiians, they had far less access to capital than Whites. So it would have been far harder for them to profit from their sport. Banks just weren't going to loan big money to native Hawaiians to really make a good go of competing. As a result, surfing profits largely went to non-Hawaiians.

Of course there isn't much that can be done about that today. I realize that suggesting that at one time one group was pretty good at ripping off other groups is awful close to CRT. But I am curious, what part of that is wrong? Does anyone think that Native Hawaiians would have had full access to banks to get the boards and employees needed to handle throngs of tourists, or to market their sport outside of Hawaii? This is where it sucks to be more moderate, I can see that our racist history created an imbalance in the profits of surfing but at the same point I'm practical enough to know there ain't much we can do about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT