ADVERTISEMENT

#MAGA

She’s even prettier in that picture, but that doesn’t justify calling her a “trophy wife.” They may be elitist types, and I don’t care for them either, but they could be as deeply in love as you and your wife or girlfriend, though I’m just guessing you have one or the other and not both. ;)
if Louise Linton isn't a trophy wife, there's no such thing as a trophy wife. Here's a photo with two trophy wives:

170626_s_gettyimages800648180.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

if Louise Linton isn't a trophy wife, there's no such thing as a trophy wife. Here's a photo with two trophy wives:

170626_s_gettyimages800648180.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg
I think calling someone a trophy wife is extremely sexist. You cannot read the minds of these women. They may be deeply in love with their husbands for all you or I know. You cannot read the minds of our wives or girlfriends either. My wife is performing in a local and well regarded ballet school’s production of “The Nutcracker” today and tomorrow. She’s quite lovely and I’m not all that good looking these days (or ever), and not even in good physical shape like I used to be because I’ve gained about 35 pounds since retiring from the Navy. I plan to start working on the weight thing, maybe tomorrow;), but it would be sexist and rude for you to call my wife a trophy wife because she’s lovely and shapely and I’m, uh, not, but pretty well off, wouldn’t it? Your wife or girlfriend may be a beauty, and maybe you’re not all that either (I have no idea what you look like), but I sure as hell wouldn’t call her a trophy wife/girlfriend because that requires reading her mind and a level of rudeness I don’t care to approach. This “trophy wife” insult should be taken out of your political tool box. It doesn’t play well and reflects worse on you than on the ones you intend to insult.

Just saying, as they say, but you do whatever the hell you want to do.

a good friend of mine is a screenwriter and has done a couple of projects for them. He said they’re both assholes. Doesn’t surprise me.

Harvey is no studmuffin.
A good friend of mine retired-retired (common terminology for us military types that retire from the military and then retire from their post military career) and his remarks were hilarious and profound, but skipping the profound, his last comment was simply, “I’m not retiring, I’m being put out to stud.”

I think calling someone a trophy wife is extremely sexist. You cannot read the minds of these women. They may be deeply in love with their husbands for all you or I know. You cannot read the minds of our wives or girlfriends either. My wife is performing in a local and well regarded ballet school’s production of “The Nutcracker” today and tomorrow. She’s quite lovely and I’m not all that good looking these days (or ever), and not even in good physical shape like I used to be because I’ve gained about 35 pounds since retiring from the Navy. I plan to start working on the weight thing, maybe tomorrow;), but it would be sexist and rude for you to call my wife a trophy wife because she’s lovely and shapely and I’m, uh, not, but pretty well off, wouldn’t it? Your wife or girlfriend may be a beauty, and maybe you’re not all that either (I have no idea what you look like), but I sure as hell wouldn’t call her a trophy wife/girlfriend because that requires reading her mind and a level of rudeness I don’t care to approach. This “trophy wife” insult should be taken out of your political tool box. It doesn’t play well and reflects worse on you than on the ones you intend to insult.

So you object to any usage of trophy wife and not just my usage. That's fine, although as Wikipedia explains, "trophy wife" disparages both the husband and the wife, and that was my intention here.

That said, you didn't dive into this thread to defend women's honor. You dove in to criticize the liberal hypocrisy that my post supposedly exemplified:

Couple tips for the future:

- Rich Republicans are always to be called “out-of-touch.” Rich Democrats are not to be called this, somehow they find a way to be in touch.

- The attractive wife of a rich Republican man is to be referred to as “trophy wife.” Attractive wives of Democratic men are simply wives, or life partners.

Your lesson for today is done. Carry on.
This seems to be the right's favorite theme these days, but in this context it's bullshit. That's why you've retreated to accusations of sexism.

So you object to any usage of trophy wife and not just my usage. That's fine, although as Wikipedia explains, "trophy wife" disparages both the husband and the wife, and that was my intention here.

That said, you didn't dive into this thread to defend women's honor. You dove in to criticize the liberal hypocrisy that my post supposedly exemplified:

Couple tips for the future:

- Rich Republicans are always to be called “out-of-touch.” Rich Democrats are not to be called this, somehow they find a way to be in touch.

- The attractive wife of a rich Republican man is to be referred to as “trophy wife.” Attractive wives of Democratic men are simply wives, or life partners.

Your lesson for today is done. Carry on.
This seems to be the right's favorite theme these days, but in this context it's bullshit. That's why you've retreated to accusations of sexism.
It’s not BS and I haven’t retreated even slightly. Those are legit tips for lefty Democrats. You do both often.

It’s still sexist and demeaning to the wife to refer to her as a “trophy.” I really don’t care about what it says about the husband. I’d be good if someone called Scarlet Johansson my trophy wife.. . .

Incidentally I don’t like him or her as people from what I know of them. She’s still pretty.

There's too much hate, not enough love in this world. Haters dis loving relationships. I think it's wise to assume relationships are loving and promote them.

It’s not BS and I haven’t retreated even slightly. Those are legit tips for lefty Democrats. You do both often.

It’s still sexist and demeaning to the wife to refer to her as a “trophy.” I really don’t care about what it says about the husband. I’d be good if someone called Scarlet Johansson my trophy wife.. . .

Incidentally I don’t like him or her as people from what I know of them. She’s still pretty.
You'll believe what you choose, but you plainly changed course in this thread. If there are trophy wives, the Mnuchin-Linton marriage includes one, so your accusation of hypocrisy is bullshit -- or at least it's bullshit if you're denying that Mnuchin-Linton is straight out of central casting.If you want to accuse me of hypocrisy or sexism please cite some evidence, or piss off. I will not respond idly to idle accusations.

You'll believe what you choose, but you plainly changed course in this thread. If there are trophy wives, the Mnuchin-Linton marriage includes one, so your accusation of hypocrisy is bullshit -- or at least it's bullshit if you're denying that Mnuchin-Linton is straight out of central casting.If you want to accuse me of hypocrisy or sexism please cite some evidence, or piss off. I will not respond idly to idle accusations.
Rock, your body of work speaks for itself. You are a reliable example of leftwing rhetoric. Even your “Bond villain” reference wasn’t original. I saw it on at least two lefty sites before you posted it. Nothing wrong with that, just about everything we say has been said before, but everything you wrote in your post about the photo was directly out of Lefty Democrat 101.

Rock, your body of work speaks for itself. You are a reliable example of leftwing rhetoric. Even your “Bond villain” reference wasn’t original. I saw it on at least two lefty sites before you posted it. Nothing wrong with that, just about everything we say has been said before, but everything you wrote in your post about the photo was directly out of Lefty Democrat 101.
Of course what I post will be reliably liberal -- I'm a liberal. But that doesn't make me either a hypocrite or a sexist (except in the minds of partisan Republicans). And I didn't claim "Bond villain" was original. I quoted and pasted the phrase with a link from whence it came. You need to pay closer attention.

Of course what I post will be reliably liberal -- I'm a liberal. But that doesn't make me either a hypocrite or a sexist (except in the minds of partisan Republicans). And I didn't claim "Bond villain" was original. I quoted and pasted the phrase with a link from whence it came. You need to pay closer attention.
Sorry. Didn’t catch the earlier post with the quote and link. It does make it easier to post political rhetoric if we just cut and paste it. I applaud your efficiency.

Sorry. Didn’t catch the earlier post with the quote and link. It does make it easier to post political rhetoric if we just cut and paste it. I applaud your efficiency.
Which proves you'll bitch either way. In a thread where you're calling me a hypocrite.

Which proves you'll bitch either way. In a thread where you're calling me a hypocrite.
I wasn’t bitching, I’m just conversing, and I didn’t call you a hypocrite. You posted the way you always post. That’s not hypocrisy, it’s consistency and reliability. Those aren’t bad traits.

Just to clarify, I didn’t use the word “liberal,” I said “left wing” and “”lefty.” There’s a difference.

Trophy wives? Bond Villans? Good thing Trump doesn't own a dog.

Meanwhile, the Trump gambit is accepted.

Funny that you mention that. I don’t recall Trump ever talking about having a pet. I’ve never heard his children talk about animals except for his dipshit son shooting some trophies. Hey, there’s that word again. Anyways, I think it says a lot about a person if they’ve never loved or cared for an animal. It’s almost like the whole family are sociopaths.

Funny that you mention that. I don’t recall Trump ever talking about having a pet. I’ve never heard his children talk about animals except for his dipshit son shooting some trophies. Hey, there’s that word again. Anyways, I think it says a lot about a person if they’ve never loved or cared for an animal. It’s almost like the whole family are sociopaths.
They just can't see past themselves. They don't see people, animals, the environment, anything.

Is your wife 30 years younger than you and are you a billionaire? I'd say that's part of the process in trying to identify a trophy wife. Yes, Melania may be deeply in love with the Donald. And the Hoosiers might win the NCAA basketball tourney this year too. And there are trophy husbands too, they are just called boy toys, so not sure about the sexist part.

Reactions: UncleMark
Is your wife 30 years younger than you and are you a billionaire? I'd say that's part of the process in trying to identify a trophy wife. Yes, Melania may be deeply in love with the Donald. And the Hoosiers might win the NCAA basketball tourney this year too. And there are trophy husbands too, they are just called boy toys, so not sure about the sexist part.
Your politics trump your feminism like politics trumped the feminism of feminists in the 90s.

Reactions: iuwclurker1
Is your wife 30 years younger than you and are you a billionaire? I'd say that's part of the process in trying to identify a trophy wife. Yes, Melania may be deeply in love with the Donald. And the Hoosiers might win the NCAA basketball tourney this year too.
I think TMP's moniker for Melania is pretty much dead on.

Your politics trump your feminism like politics trumped the feminism of feminists in the 90s.
Maybe you should ask more females their POV on this topic. I've heard from a fair number in my circle who've described relationships - particularly second ones - in pretty transactional terms. (E.g., "first marriage for love, second for money"). That's not to impugn them or their male spouses, but I learned some perspectives I didn't expect. A lot of that isn't about being "rich", but simply fatigue of dealing with stress and the reality of compromise. Maybe men know less about women than they think and don't really even have an objective view of their own motivations.

And while I tend to agree with you about making judgments about others, I think I know enough about Trump not to be put off by judgments about him or presumptions about his views on women. It's not a random outcome that he was involved in Miss Universe pageants, married multiple times (each one younger than the last), that his current spouse was a mid-level model from Slovenia that he happened upon, that he makes remarks like the ones he made to Billy Bush, that he routinely makes sexist remarks about women, that he routinely makes value judgments of women based on looks, etc.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Maybe you should ask more females their POV on this topic. I've heard from a fair number in my circle who've described relationships - particularly second ones - in pretty transactional terms. (E.g., "first marriage for love, second for money"). That's not to impugn them or their male spouses, but I learned some perspectives I didn't expect. A lot of that isn't about being "rich", but simply fatigue of dealing with stress and the reality of compromise. Maybe men know less about women than they think and don't really even have an objective view of their own motivations.

And while I tend to agree with you about making judgments about others, I think I know enough about Trump not to be put off by judgments about him or presumptions about his views on women. It's not a random outcome that he was involved in Miss Universe pageants, married multiple times (each one younger than the last), that his current spouse was a mid-level model from Slovenia that he happened upon, that he makes remarks like the ones he made to Billy Bush, that he routinely makes sexist remarks about women, that he routinely makes value judgments of women based on looks, etc.

All very interesting points, T. I'll be surprised though if we can have a conversation of any depth about trophy wives and trophy husbands/boytoys/kept men/etc. In a time where we are closely examining significantly older men and their taste for significantly younger women, it's interesting how different people react to the concept of a "trophy wife".

All very interesting points, T. I'll be surprised though if we can have a conversation of any depth about trophy wives and trophy husbands/boytoys/kept men/etc. In a time where we are closely examining significantly older men and their taste for significantly younger women, it's interesting how different people react to the concept of a "trophy wife".
Trump ran as a populist, promising to make America great again for ordinary people. What we (predictably) got instead is a government by and for plutocrats. Notwithstanding Aloha's fusty offense at "trophy wife", Mnuchin and Linton perfectly exemplify the vulgar rich -- who are now spearheading tax cuts for themselves that they (predictably) claim are really intended to benefit ordinary people.

My advice to wealthy vulgarians: Don't allow the rubes to see you photographed cavorting with sheets of newly printed cash while garbed in finery that costs more than most people make in six months, particularly after you've had to apologize for punching down at proles who didn't like you hashtagging all the designers you wore on a government-paid day trip to see the eclipse. At some point, even the rubes might catch on.

Trump ran as a populist, promising to make America great again for ordinary people. What we (predictably) got instead is a government by and for plutocrats. Notwithstanding Aloha's fusty offense at "trophy wife", Mnuchin and Linton perfectly exemplify the vulgar rich -- who are now spearheading tax cuts for themselves that they (predictably) claim are really intended to benefit ordinary people.

My advice to wealthy vulgarians: Don't allow the rubes to see you photographed cavorting with sheets of newly printed cash while garbed in finery that costs more than most people make in six months, particularly after you've had to apologize for punching down at proles who didn't like you hashtagging all the designers you wore on a government-paid day trip to see the eclipse. At some point, even the rubes might catch on.

Good grief. People of all economic and social strata use various symbols and accrutaments to reveal or even brag about themselves. Trophy wives are no more indictiave of a "vulgar rich" person than is a fancy yacht, private jet, or a fly rod that costs more than a thousand bucks. Trophy wife dicussions are meant for people who like to talk about people. And you have demonstrated that you do enjoy talking about people.

Good grief. People of all economic and social strata use various symbols and accrutaments to reveal or even brag about themselves. Trophy wives are no more indictiave of a "vulgar rich" person than is a fancy yacht, private jet, or a fly rod that costs more than a thousand bucks. Trophy wife dicussions are meant for people who like to talk about people. And you have demonstrated that you do enjoy talking about people.
I hope elected Republicans are listening to you.

It all depends on what the meaning "trophy" is. As far as I am concerned, I don't consider somebody who spends big bucks on boob jobs, butt jobs, face lifts, and capped death to be seen as "trophy" isn't much of a trophy. Trophy means things that aren't the result of a medical procedure--except for knee jobs, which my TW had done years ago after a mishap at A-basin. *

For those in Rio Linda--see what I did here?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT