ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Recker-ish?

Wrong again. The loss to UCONN (who was a 2 seed if I remember correctly) was not an ass-kicking at all. You anti-Knight people never fail to make everything sound as bad as possible. Just can’t help yourselves.
Correct, I think we were up 10 at half and lost by single digits because we blew it in the second, but far from an ass kicking

Funderburke was huge....who knows what happens with the 92-93 squads if he stays. Chances of hanging another banner increase. We wouldn't have to blame Ted Valentine and Alan's knee.
The recruiting really never diminished ... Reid, Guyton, Collier, Charlie Miller, Mike Herman, Mike Lewis, Patterson, Will Gladness, hell even Jiminez was a better guard than we now have ... I think RMK just lost the ability to relate to them and was probably pissy and impatient everyday cause we should have won '93.

The recruiting even continued well into 2002, I think Mike Davis is a good coach now, but I think he'd even admit all he had to do was let a lot of those players loose, get minutes, and confidence

Reactions: Seyton and abraxis
UCONN was a 2nd round 10pt loss, they were a 6th seed. I think you are thinking the 2nd round loss to St Johns (3 seed) in 1999- which IU lost by 25 pts.

Also first round losses to BC in 1996 and Colo in 97 by 18 pts in each game, and then blown out by 20 pts to mighty Pepperdine in RMK's last game. IU was ending each season on the wrong end of lopsided losses, while watching our highest-ranked recruits blowing out of town at the first chance.

Yes more success than we've seen over the past 5 yrs...but then again, we've also fired 2 coaches in the past 5 yrs, so not sure that's worth much for comparison's sake.

I was a huge RMK supporter in front of rabid ridicule living 25 min from Mackay Arena. But anyone with an open mind could see that the 1995-2000 period was the beginning of the downward trajectory for this program that, due to several bad coaching hires since, we've yet to resolve.

The recruiting really never diminished ... Reid, Guyton, Collier, Charlie Miller, Mike Herman, Mike Lewis, Patterson, Will Gladness, hell even Jiminez was a better guard than we now have ... I think RMK just lost the ability to relate to them and was probably pissy and impatient everyday cause we should have won '93.

The recruiting even continued well into 2002, I think Mike Davis is a good coach now, but I think he'd even admit all he had to do was let a lot of those players loose, get minutes, and confidence
Better guard than we have now? Lol

Better guard than we have now? Lol
OK, who would be a more reliable guard than him currently on roster? Let's not forget that none of our current one's can do much more than throw it at the backboard and pray, but he could shoot, make the right play, and not turn it over. Just played behind a lot better player, never got many minutes.

Watched Miller Kopp’s highlight tape. Maybe not quite as athletic, but a better shooter. Love his pull up 3s in transition. Didn’t realize how many dunks he got.
MK, Kopp isn't like Recker at all in my opinion. He's not nearly as athletic, fluid and especially springy as Recker. It's not to say he isn't those things at all, but not like Recker.

I just say this because I thought you might be half asking if he was.

I think a better comp would be... Jon Diebler from Ohio State if you remember him (from about 10 years ago).

MK, Kopp isn't like Recker at all in my opinion. He's not nearly as athletic, fluid and especially springy as Recker. It's not to say he isn't those things at all, but not like Recker.

I think a better comp would be... Jon Diebler from Ohio State if you remember him (from about 10 years ago).
That is a good comparison, had not occured to me.

Reactions: mk23 and Seyton

Ever so often these white guys come along who are genetically superior, of special athleticism. It's more often seen in the Black population as evidenced by the sheer numbers in college today and especially the NBA. You see a guy like Damon Bailey and think it just can't be, the athleticism in a body like that. Recker was the same way. I used to enjoy Neil Reed's game, too. They seem to move with a certain fluidness, not seen in others. Say what you want about Neil Reed, but he was a tough SOB on the basketball court. When I think of him, I think of him diving onto the floor for a loose ball when not stroking it from deep with ease of release. Kirk Haston and Glenn "Gimp" Grunwald, bandaged knee and all, had it too.

Reactions: Seyton
Disagree but with the following correction: he sucked at IU at the end.

He did a great job at Tech. Maybe was rejuvenated?
Bob Knight never sucked at IU. Those around him sucked and they’ve been sucking ever since. Bob Knight was a victim of the media, who only emphasized his bad points, giving fragile recruits justification for taking their ball to play elsewhere. That’s what hurt Bob Knight. It became a trend to denounce Knight as an ogre. Human nature loves to see the mighty fall off their pedestal. It makes them feel better about their own weaknesses.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
Bob Knight never sucked at IU. Those around him sucked and they’ve been sucking ever since. Bob Knight was a victim of the media, who only emphasized his bad points, giving fragile recruits justification for taking their ball to play elsewhere. That’s what hurt Bob Knight. It became a trend to denounce Knight as an ogre. Human nature loves to see the mighty fall off their pedestal. It makes them feel better about their own weaknesses.
no wasn't media fault or anyone else's , rmk sank his own ship, the sad thing when he learned the lesson it was to late the 2002 team could have been great under his coaching. I think he became complacent for a few years, and when kids like Recker and Collier leave that was a very bad sign for the state of the program.

Reactions: Seyton
I agree with a lot of what you said but I can't get around on absolving Coach Knight. He was as bad as his coverage. I thought in later years he became a characture of himself. It hurts to say but in my opinion he did.

no wasn't media fault or anyone else's , rmk sank his own ship, the sad thing when he learned the lesson it was to late the 2002 team could have been great under his coaching. I think he became complacent for a few years, and when kids like Recker and Collier leave that was a very bad sign for the state of the program.
Bob Knight’s only flaw was something he was born with, his arrogant asshole. He was as obnoxious in 1971 as he was in 2000. The media, with the exception of the HT’s Bob Hamill, turned on him, never reporting his good works like the library fund he promoted, only the temper tantrums, many of them initiated by fake news reporting like the deSilva incident in Puerto Rico. The media made his job more difficult as time went by, both in recruiting and retaining the recruits he had. It was all negative press he was subjected to, leading pampered players to lose respect for him. They started to question his coaching technique. Many, younger ones especially, bought into what the media was feeding them, much like they do today, politically. They got their wish and then wished for something better. We haven’t seen it, yet, and it’s been 21 years. What will we be doing now, raising banners to commemorate our participation in the NCAA tournament...whenever that glorious day of celebration finally returns? What happened to Bob Knight was Indiana University’s self-made tragedy, plain and simple, brought on by jealous people trying to make a name for themselves at Bob’s expense,...lesser people who thought they knew better.

• Love
Reactions: gator mcCluskey
OK, who would be a more reliable guard than him currently on roster? Let's not forget that none of our current one's can do much more than throw it at the backboard and pray, but he could shoot, make the right play, and not turn it over. Just played behind a lot better player, never got many minutes.
Reed, Miller and especially Patterson were high level guys, and AJ had an MSU offer. The
Bob Knight’s only flaw was something he was born with, his arrogant asshole. He was as obnoxious in 1971 as he was in 2000. The media, with the exception of the HT’s Bob Hamill, turned on him, never reporting his good works like the library fund he promoted, only the temper tantrums, many of them initiated by fake news reporting like the deSilva incident in Puerto Rico. The media made his job more difficult as time went by, both in recruiting and retaining the recruits he had. It was all negative press he was subjected to, leading pampered players to lose respect for him. They started to question his coaching technique. Many, younger ones especially, bought into what the media was feeding them, much like they do today, politically. They got their wish and then wished for something better. We haven’t seen it, yet, and it’s been 21 years. What will we be doing now, raising banners to commemorate our participation in the NCAA tournament...whenever that glorious day of celebration finally returns? What happened to Bob Knight was Indiana University’s self-made tragedy, plain and simple, brought on by jealous people trying to make a name for themselves at Bob’s expense,...lesser people who thought they knew better.
Loved BK, but the person most responsible for his demise was him, and by a wide, wide margin.

you are a simpleton, recker and collier were ran off by the media? knight in my opinion was the greatest team sport coach ever. He done more with less than any coach in history the 87 team had mid level big 10 caliber talent yet won it all. However at the end he was busier being bob knight than he was coaching.

you are a simpleton, recker and collier were ran off by the media? knight in my opinion was the greatest team sport coach ever. He done more with less than any coach in history the 87 team had mid level big 10 caliber talent yet won it all. However at the end he was busier being bob knight than he was coaching.
I heard Coach say once that he should have left Indiana earlier. He didn't like the administration and as everybody knows he wasn't the most tolerant person.

Oh, please. You don’t know your head from your @ss let alone what RMK’s mindset was during his last years at IU. If you had an ounce of intelligence you would not be ripping RMK for mailing it in during those final years, you would look back on it and be in awe that he was able to accomplish what he did with what he had during that time. You would have to acknowledge that he maintained a consistent level of excellence even in the lean years that we haven’t had since. Bottomline- you’re an ungrateful piece of shit.

Reactions: Ksteph
Oh, please. You don’t know your head from your @ss let alone what RMK’s mindset was during his last years at IU. If you had an ounce of intelligence you would not be ripping RMK for mailing it in during those final years, you would look back on it and be in awe that he was able to accomplish what he did with what he had during that time. You would have to acknowledge that he maintained a consistent level of excellence even in the lean years that we haven’t had since. Bottomline- you’re an ungrateful piece of shit.
ungrateful for what? if you think the years after 71-92 were as good as that run you are a fing idiot. I don't know why clowns like you have to resort to name calling when you make ignorant statements. I will tell you something else pat knight you are the worst shooter in iu history last years team made your name come up a lot.

I was always a BK fan but was objective about his many shortcomings. Bob was ineffective the last few years as the game and in his own words "parents"...not kids, were changing.

ungrateful for what? if you think the years after 71-92 were as good as that run you are a fing idiot. I don't know why clowns like you have to resort to name calling when you make ignorant statements. I will tell you something else pat knight you are the worst shooter in iu history last years team made your name come up a lot.
Sheep have never been known for their expansive vocabulary.

Ungrateful because a “bad” year under RMK was a first rd. loss in the tournament. Maybe we need to miss the tourney for five more straight years so you and your ilk can finally extract your head from your ass and see the light.

Ungrateful because a “bad” year under RMK was a first rd. loss in the tournament. Maybe we need to miss the tourney for five more straight years so you and your ilk can finally extract your head from your ass and see the light.
I'm comparing bob knight to bob knight obviously the shit show of the last 20 years has sucked.

True, recall he basically offered them all an invitation to leave. Some got sick of his shit and did.

I can live with simpleton. My shoes are comfortable in mileage.

Bob Knight ran them off, but the running off was made easier by the constant media disparagement of Knight the latter part of his IU career. Everyone was against him toward his end, even lots of IU fans including a dabbling of older fans but not me. It was appalling some of the negative Knight BS Indy Star sportswriters and others were spouting...unsubstantiated stories that proved hearsay lies. It didn’t matter. It got them attention. It sold newspapers. People made money off of his failings. There were IU fans who celebrated the big bully’s take down but not me. The thing of it that gets me the most (almost) is that Brand’s “leadership skill” of giving one of our coaches a Zero Tolerance ultimatum is the biggest act of bullying I know, and not one damn word has ever been said about it before me. What kind of bullying bullshit was that-bullying the bully when you know his shit is going down. Did Myles find humor amongst his wilted prune cronies of pompous political pouts after first issuing his (tsk,tsk) Really Big Deal Zero Tolerance Policy. Brand wouldn’t know what to do with a basketball if you handed him one and pointed toward the basket. He’ll always be the leader of the Stooge Parade in my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: EarlTubbs

Bob Knight ran them off, but the running off was made easier by the constant media disparagement of Knight the latter part of his IU career. Everyone was against him toward his end, even lots of IU fans including a dabbling of older fans but not me. It was appalling some of the negative Knight BS Indy Star sportswriters and others were spouting...unsubstantiated stories that proved hearsay lies. It didn’t matter. It got them attention. It sold newspapers. People made money off of his failings. There were IU fans who celebrated the big bully’s take down but not me. The thing of it that gets me the most (almost) is that Brand’s “leadership skill” of giving one of our coaches a Zero Tolerance ultimatum is the biggest act of bullying I know, and not one damn word has ever been said about it before me. What kind of bullying bullshit was that-bullying the bully when you know his shit is going down. Did Myles find humor amongst his wilted prune cronies of pompous political pouts after first issuing his (tsk,tsk) Really Big Deal Zero Tolerance Policy. Brand wouldn’t know what to do with a basketball if you handed him one and pointed toward the basket. He’ll always be the leader of the Stooge Parade in my mind.
he is a classic example of someone going unchecked for way to long, his ego destroyed him not anyone else. man was brilliant but very flawed.

Gold, solid gold

The thing of it that gets me the most (almost) is that Brand’s “leadership skill” of giving one of our coaches a Zero Tolerance ultimatum is the biggest act of bullying I know, and not one damn word has ever been said about it before me.
Always struck me more as an act of cowardice than bullying. Maybe it's both.

he is a classic example of someone going unchecked for way to long, his ego destroyed him not anyone else. man was brilliant but very flawed.
Knight started to fail when our culture started to change. He was a hard ass, tough SOB and, yes I’m sure, an ahole. But he was also highly respected and loved by many of his players. Our current coach if you’ve forgotten. Culture was changing to where people couldnt handle that and it’s exploded to today. People need to be coddled and are extremely fragile these days. Knight didn’t adjust and it hurt him, but I don’t blame him for one fn second. Our country was a better place back then and I don’t believe it’s a coincidence

Reactions: abraxis
ADVERTISEMENT