ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Recker-ish?

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Watched Miller Kopp’s highlight tape. Maybe not quite as athletic, but a better shooter. Love his pull up 3s in transition. Didn’t realize how many dunks he got.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Maybe on offense, and that's a big maybe, and that would be maybe after his car crash. People forget MJ, yeah the MJ, gave Recker props on his D and all around game before that draft. That's pretty high praise

It was Recker’s defection that brought us all to our knees as the camel’s back, broken. It was the beginning of the death spiral, fate sealed and no longer controlled. It left some of us permanently scarred. “And so began the endless parade of masks...”

It was Recker’s defection that brought us all to our knees as the camel’s back, broken. It was the beginning of the death spiral, fate sealed and no longer controlled. It left some of us permanently scarred. “And so began the endless parade of masks...”
Yes. After Neil Reed’s and Colliers departure.
Three years in a row, Three burger boys gone. Reed, Collier and Recker. That was nightmarish at the time it happened.

Yes. After Neil Reed’s and Colliers departure.
Three years in a row, Three burger boys gone. Reed, Collier and Recker. That was nightmarish at the time it happened.
clear sign the ship was taking on heavy water. Last 5 yrs of RMK were not happy times for anyone...RMK, the players, fans. Each first round loss in the NCAA tourney, the players' faces looked like kids who were relieved that the season was ending.

clear sign the ship was taking on heavy water. Last 5 yrs of RMK were not happy times for anyone...RMK, the players, fans. Each first round loss in the NCAA tourney, the players' faces looked like kids who were relieved that the season was ending.
Myles Brand’s “leadership” pissed Knight off. When Knight gets pissed, others around him pay the price. It was Bob’s character flaw, probably stemming from an incident happening all the way back to his childhood, back to his playground days in Orville.

Your quote sounds like a reference but beyond my classic literature knowledge.

Your quote sounds like a reference but beyond my classic literature knowledge.
It’s from “Please hear what I’m not saying” by Charles C. Finn. I first saw the poetic quotations on a poster during my “daze” at IU, early 70’s. The actual line goes, “So begins the glittering, but empty parade of masks.” but I always seem to paraphrase it when throwing it out there from time to time for interpretation. For some reason, it stuck with me, just that one line about the phoniness of people, being something they really aren’t just to please different people, based upon the circumstances.

Reactions: BaxterIU and BHAII
It’s from “Please hear what I’m not saying” by Charles C. Finn. I first saw the poetic quotations on a poster during my “daze” at IU, early 70’s. The actual line goes, “So begins the glittering, but empty parade of masks.” but I always seem to paraphrase it when throwing it out there from time to time for interpretation. For some reason, it stuck with me, just that one line about the phoniness of people, being something they really aren’t just to please different people, based upon the circumstances.
I thought you were talking about COVID,....😳

None of them had any fun, and it was clear early on that they were never in synch. Hard to watch.

Ugggghhhh! That's a guy I'd just as soon forget!😣
I don't blame Recker, but I continue to believe that it was a selfish, dick move by Alford to take him. Knowing that LR wasn't leaving with Knight's blessing and that it was a move that was really damaging to IU, Alford should have told him to look elsewhere. I think SA owed Knight at least that much loyalty.

None of them had any fun, and it was clear early on that they were never in synch. Hard to watch.
This is way overblown. First off, they weren’t all first round losses in those last five years. Second, who wouldn’t take the “lack of success” of those last five years over the putrid display we’ve suffered through over the last five. Actually, I guess YOU wouldn’t because you’re not an IU fan anyway.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
This is way overblown. First off, they weren’t all first round losses in those last five years. Second, who wouldn’t take the “lack of success” of those last five years over the putrid display we’ve suffered through over the last five. Actually, I guess YOU wouldn’t because you’re not an IU fan anyway.
I’ve been around IU basketball likely longer than you’ve been alive, and I’ve certainly been much more of a fan than you’ll ever pretend to be.

I don't blame Recker, but I continue to believe that it was a selfish, dick move by Alford to take him. Knowing that LR wasn't leaving with Knight's blessing and that it was a move that was really damaging to IU, Alford should have told him to look elsewhere. I think SA owed Knight at least that much loyalty.
LR was going to Arizona until the car accident. He ended up at Iowa only after that tragedy.

the years that weren't 1st round losses were 2nd round ass kicking's rmk sucked at the end

the years that weren't 1st round losses were 2nd round ass kicking's rmk sucked at the end
To be fair...it wasn’t abnormal for RMK to have “down” years in between his championship level years. It’s not like his teams won or even competed for titles EVERY year. His last 5-6 years weren’t great. But he was building another pretty darn good group when it all blew up and he got fired.

This is a whole other conversation, but I think the Fab 5, indirectly, ended RMKs “relevance”. And he was too stubborn to see it, or adjust to keep up with the culture changes.

Reactions: ericrossiu
I was a student on campus in Bloomington '95-'99. I always tell people who ask if I was there when Knight was there, I say, "sort of".

I don't completely fault SA, but It was definitely perceived as a middle finger to Knight, and he didn't forget it.

I don't completely fault SA, but It was definitely perceived as a middle finger to Knight, and he didn't forget it.
Recker did hit that last second shot to beat IU in the B1G Tourney Championship game. Is that the only Championship game IU has been in? If you are an Iowa fan then you would not have a problem with Steve taking Recker. It worked out well for him.

Recker did hit that last second shot to beat IU in the B1G Tourney Championship game. Is that the only Championship game IU has been in? If you are an Iowa fan then you would not have a problem with Steve taking Recker. It worked out well for him.
Thank God I had options and am not an Iowa Fan.

Thank God I had options and am not an Iowa Fan.
I had an elderly female Iowa fan hit me in the head with a cherry tomato once. We were watching Indiana/Iowa at Iowa and IU took an early 9 point and then bam, I get hit with a cherry tomato. I picked it up and ate it, told her if I didn't she would tell people I waste food. lol Good memory.

I think you are mixing years, I believe IU lost to Brody Boyd in the btt championship for 2000-01 after upsetting Illinois. The next year when IU would end up as ncaa runner-up they were upset by Iowa on Recker’s shot in BTT.

I think you are mixing years, I believe IU lost to Brody Boyd in the btt championship for 2000-01 after upsetting Illinois. The next year when IU would end up as ncaa runner-up they were upset by Iowa on Recker’s shot in BTT.
Believe the Recker shot was in the semi-final (Saturday) game.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Believe the Recker shot was in the semi-final (Saturday) game.
yeah apparently I get this confused as well. The loss to Iowa in the B1G championship game happened in 2001- Davis' first season. The Recker shot was in 2002. I think the time line gets jumbled in our heads because the team went on the F4 run right after Recker's shot.

Strange irony that the 3 burger boy who left in the late 90s- 2 of them already died very early deaths due to bad tickers, and the third almost died in that accident.

yeah apparently I get this confused as well. The loss to Iowa in the B1G championship game happened in 2001- Davis' first season. The Recker shot was in 2002. I think the time line gets jumbled in our heads because the team went on the F4 run right after Recker's shot.

Strange irony that the 3 burger boy who left in the late 90s- 2 of them already died very early deaths due to bad tickers, and the third almost died in that accident.
Tragic in all three instances.

yep very very strange coincidence.
Asymptomatic cardiac evaluations are often performed when athletes reach the professional level, but it’s never been common in amateur sports, unless someone has a known issue. Even with that, I don’t believe JC was ever tested, and it would’ve likely saved him.

Wrong again. The loss to UCONN (who was a 2 seed if I remember correctly) was not an ass-kicking at all. You anti-Knight people never fail to make everything sound as bad as possible. Just can’t help yourselves.

Reactions: Ksteph
Wrong again. The loss to UCONN (who was a 2 seed if I remember correctly) was not an ass-kicking at all. You anti-Knight people never fail to make everything sound as bad as possible. Just can’t help yourselves.
UCONN was a 2nd round 10pt loss, they were a 6th seed. I think you are thinking the 2nd round loss to St Johns (3 seed) in 1999- which IU lost by 25 pts.

Also first round losses to BC in 1996 and Colo in 97 by 18 pts in each game, and then blown out by 20 pts to mighty Pepperdine in RMK's last game. IU was ending each season on the wrong end of lopsided losses, while watching our highest-ranked recruits blowing out of town at the first chance.

Yes more success than we've seen over the past 5 yrs...but then again, we've also fired 2 coaches in the past 5 yrs, so not sure that's worth much for comparison's sake.

I was a huge RMK supporter in front of rabid ridicule living 25 min from Mackay Arena. But anyone with an open mind could see that the 1995-2000 period was the beginning of the downward trajectory for this program that, due to several bad coaching hires since, we've yet to resolve.

Last edited:
Collier was a big hit also

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT