ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Perry

A stroke at 52 is concerning. I wonder if he had diabetes? I didn't know my mom had diabetes until she had her stroke. I knew she was on medication for high blood pressure, but never knew she was diabetic. She went to great effort to hide it. I learned that diabetes is another risk factor for stroke.

It is a shock to see someone like Perry have a stroke. Stroke and heart attacks run in my mom's side of the family and I take after that side. So far I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. After my brother in law at 56 literally dropped dead in September from a widow maker heart attack, I put that experience and my mom's stroke as another kick in the ass to live healthier.

I have not had a beer or Diet soda since January 4th. I take my dog for a walk every day that isn't raining or too cold. I credit my energetic puppy in forcing me into more walks. My hardest thing to give up is sweets, but I have been able to eliminate most sugar other than from fruits. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better and hopefully can keep the grim reaper from showing up at my door.

Sweets are my kryptonite

All this time I thought your kryptonite was...

1897213_1148553_300x_.jpg

Sweets are my kryptonite
I keep trying to quit sweets cold turkey like my Diet Coke. My wife will bring home chocolate covered almonds from the deli because they are like the nuts I eat for a snack. I tell her that she basically just brought me a bag of M&M's with peanuts! Jello isn't a bad substitute. It isn't a good one either.

ADVERTISEMENT