ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Brown

We should be keeping tabs on and talking with every top 30-50 kid in IN, especially the ones in the southern half of the state. He may not be good enough for a scholly, but you don't know their situations and he may be an option for a preferred walk on or a late scholly offer. Since I've been in NC, UNC has gotten probably 4-6 kids as walkons that had scholly offers elsewhere, including Luke Maye (he was given a scholly before the season started, but came as a walkon when he had offers from Davidson, VA Tech, and Clemson among others), and Stilman White who played a fair amount for them as a backup PG.

I'm not saying Brown would come as a walk on, but I am saying we don't know how he'll develop ultimately, nor what our situation will be for 2021. Look at this year: we desperately need shooters and have 2 open schollies! We should be talking to all players like this, and I would guess are to some degree, despite what's being said on here.

Taking players like Luke Brown is what got Crean in trouble.

He's just not good enough to play here.

Now, if he wanted to walk on, sure you take him. But he's got pretty good mid major offers, so I doubt he's looking to go that route.

I watched the Blackford game against Northwestern. I used to know folks in the administration at Northwestern since I lived in Kokomo so I wanted to see how Brown did. He has tremendous range. The kid can hit from 25 ft with ease. He gets his shot off pretty fast. But what I like is his court vision. He averages eight assists a game while scoring 33 a game. Ok, I can see why some would slam me for this, but could he end up being a John Stockton type player? He is about the same size as John. John was a very good shooter too and of course had great court vision. It is possible that Luke Brown might make people wish they had offered him someday. Thoughts?

and who was the best athlete on the floor in that game?

Now, if he wanted to walk on, sure you take him. But he's got pretty good mid major offers, so I doubt he's looking to go that route.

I never said take him, I said keep talking with him just in case. It could actually help prevent taking a kid like a Gelon, because it can help give you better backup options.

I'm not saying he is. I'm saying we should be keeping in contact with players at this level as precautions in case they improve, if they might be interested in walking on, or they fill a role we might need.... like I don't know: shooter? Purdue appears to be keeping in contact with him and hasn't offered to my knowledge. That's what I'm talking about.

Keeping lines of communication open actually helps prevent getting a kid as unprepared as a Gelon because it helps give you better fallback options if something unexpected happens.

Reactions: ufo33
I never said take him, I said keep talking with him just in case. It could actually help prevent taking a kid like a Gelon, because it can help give you better backup options.

I'm not saying he is. I'm saying we should be keeping in contact with players at this level as precautions in case they improve, if they might be interested in walking on, or they fill a role we might need.... like I don't know: shooter? Purdue appears to be keeping in contact with him and hasn't offered to my knowledge. That's what I'm talking about.

Keeping lines of communication open actually helps prevent getting a kid as unprepared as a Gelon because it helps give you better fallback options if something unexpected happens.

No.

We're on much, much better players. Believe it or not, were actually after players outside of Indiana as well. In this article, it was asked about what prospects were in on.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...leftovers-hunter-sallis-pitt-maryland-indiana

Sounds like Brody Boyd to me. My recollection was that we didn't go after him and he ended up at Iowa with Alford. I just had to google to make sure I had his name right, and the article said RMK recruited him, so I may have misremembered that. But wasn't he in the 6' range?
Yes, Boyd was a smaller guard who would come in at times. He was a very good shooter.

Believe It or not, there are coaches out there that don't think Brown is even D1 material. I don't agree with that, but it's out there.

I personally think he'll make a solid mid major player somewhere.
If he goes to a mid major I hope it is Ball State since it is nearby. I am just thinking about his folks and people from the town who would want to see him play in college.

Indiana Weslyan is a NAIA National Power by recruiting D1 caliber players.

He had a couple of thunder dunks in the game and was impressive as a scorer. I think the announcers said he averages around 28-29ppg. It really makes you appreciate the kind of athlete that can go to a high division one school if a kid like Parker ends up at Wesleyan.

Tayson was adopted and his parents are Purdue alums. He was home schooled and is a great student. His dream was to go to Purdue and be an engineer like his Dad. He had some Division I offeres, but liked Wesleyan and is all about education. He also is a Division I quality long jumper with a best near 24’.

Reactions: ufo33 and minneman
Tayson was adopted and his parents are Purdue alums. He was home schooled and is a great student. His dream was to go to Purdue and be an engineer like his Dad. He had some Division I offeres, but liked Wesleyan and is all about education. He also is a Division I quality long jumper with a best near 24’.
Why would he go to Wesleyan if he wanted to be an engineer?

How you can you compare Gelon to this kid he's going to score 3000 pts or avg 9 assits a game shooting 90% percent ft line got to be better prospect.lol

Reactions: Sassy61

I think a big part of why he chose Indiana Wesleyan is because they offered him a chance to run track there, also.

Reactions: minneman
Luke need to go to prep school after high school. He will play against top notch talent and prove himself one way or the other. An extra year of maturity will help his game. As it stands , I just don't see how IU can offer for '21 with the type of players that are available in that class.

Luke need to go to prep school after high school. He will play against top notch talent and prove himself one way or the other. An extra year of maturity will help his game. As it stands , I just don't see how IU can offer for '21 with the type of players that are available in that class.
33.1 points per game 91% free throw shooter. 54% field goal shooter. Enough said!

33.1 points per game but no % free throw shooter. 54% field goal shooter. Enough said!

but lack of strength and lateral speed, poor defensively and slight of build. Give the kid that extra year in prep and see what he can do with the deficiencies.

but lack of strength and lateral speed, poor defensively and slight of build. Give the kid that extra year in prep and see what he can do with the deficiencies.
its called a redshirt.

You don't recruit based on 11th grade height weight, you project the player three years down the road.

So you would rather have a great athlete who chooses when to guard and shoots well one game a month over a pure shooter like Wisconsin seems to always have that they hide in their team defense, but burns IU for multiple 3s every time they play?

Reactions: MG80
its called a redshirt.

You don't recruit based on 11th grade height weight, you project the player three years down the road.
no,it is not called a redshirt. It is called Prep School. I don't want to use a 2021 scholarship on LBrown and then redshirt him. IU has much higher ranked/potential players in 2021 than Brown. Go to Prep School and prove yourself, and IU might be interested for 2022.

So you would rather have a great athlete who chooses when to guard and shoots well one game a month over a pure shooter like Wisconsin seems to always have that they hide in their team defense, but burns IU for multiple 3s every time they play?

I want a basketball player that can play both ends of the court in the B1G.

its called a redshirt.

He's already a year older than most in his class. Parents held him back for sports purposes. His physical maturity is pretty close to what it's going to be right now. He's obviously going to put on some weight/muscle when a college trainer gets a hold of him but the 6'0" , that's pretty much where things are going to end up.

He's already a year older than most in his class. Parents held him back for sports purposes. His physical maturity is pretty close to what it's going to be right now. He's obviously going to put on some weight/muscle when a college trainer gets a hold of him but the 6'0" , that's pretty much where things are going to end up.
That was why I compared him physically to John Stockton. No doubt the kid ain't growing anymore. He can get in better shape and stronger as you said. There are just a ton of good high school players. Take for instance Northrop High School. They have two players named Pettis and Smith who are just enjoyable to watch.

no,it is not called a redshirt. It is called Prep School. I don't want to use a 2021 scholarship on LBrown and then redshirt him. IU has much higher ranked/potential players in 2021 than Brown. Go to Prep School and prove yourself, and IU might be interested for 2022.
Yea because IU is so elite and has so many high IQ players who are great shooters

DWS

You can’t always go on rankings. Yes, I want top 50 talent too but some go unnoticed. I think he’d end up being a pretty good 4 year player myself but if Archie can get some high ranked kids over him then I understand. He will end up being good though at Butler or wherever he goes and then people will wish we had gotten him. I’m telling you people if he stays healthy he’s a bit of a diamond in the rough. He’s as good as Michael Lewis when he was in high school and he was solid at IU.

Reactions: kkott
You can’t always go on rankings. Yes, I want top 50 talent too but some go unnoticed. I think he’d end up being a pretty good 4 year player myself but if Archie can get some high ranked kids over him then I understand. He will end up being good though at Butler or wherever he goes and then people will wish we had gotten him. I’m telling you people if he stays healthy he’s a bit of a diamond in the rough. He’s as good as Michael Lewis when he was in high school and he was solid at IU.
Michael Lewis didn't play most of his games.against 2A competition.

There is a guy on HSN who is incredibly high on brown having an impact righr away.
So what is archie waiting for?

6'2" now that what he listed he not going prep he will go to major college.
I did not miss the meaning at all.

Are we trying to win championships or are we trying to find a way to get Luke Brown on the team? How many Luke Browns does Kentucky have? How many does Duke have? Or Kansas? Carolina? And who is Brown gonna guard on those teams that he's not gonna get exploited by every night?

We also took a player that was a one trick pony that we thought we could hide his other faults, Grant Gelon. CAM was smart enough to know he couldn't help the team though, so Grant moved on. Brown is obviously a better player, but the same thought process is the same. We're not gonna reach on a player if he's not Indiana caliber.

We're not the only school that has scouted and passed. Every p5 school has as of today. There's a reason for that.
Alford never pan out in NBA great college player, why does everyone use Butler as measurement for player who they recruit and we do not,look like they are doing better than we are reaching for stars but it a team game you know what i mean we need great college player their very few make it in NBA? Watched the kid from E Reitz not that impressed with him either he no Romeo far from it alot star come out hs cant play defense but you can shot like Luke came he can learn. He could break Damon record now that special and if his dream is to wear cream and crimson might be worth the risk!

There is a guy on HSN who is incredibly high on brown having an impact righr away.

So what is archie waiting for?
Went up to Hartford City to watch Luke Brown play Friday night. He is not skinny. He obviously has spent some time in the weight room. Has developed good muscular definition. He was, definitely, the quickest kid on the floor. His shooting stroke is superb. Looks like he has been to the Rick Mount shooting school. He is hitting 42% of his three point shots this year, and most of these come from beyond 25 feet. Makes free throws. He is the best passer I have seen in high school ball in a long time. He had 11 assists and would have had 20 if his teammates had been better shooters. He is averaging over 8 assists a game. Hustled on defense. Has a good handle. Evaluation is difficult because he was playing against a 1A school. I would not be disappointed if IU offered him. Think he is a better shooter than Alford was and is a little quicker.

Reactions: kkott
Luke shoots the ball a bit off to the side. This may make it harder to get off

I’d still offer him great shooter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT