ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Brown

If anyone on this board thinks Brown could hang with Bailey or any top 5 scorers need to just go away never to be heard from again. Bailey would murder this kid and it wouldn’t be close. Even Brody Boyd would handle him. Just facts.
What about Jimmy Chitwood?

Class basketball. The gift that keeps on giving.[/
If anyone on this board thinks Brown could hang with Bailey or any top 5 scorers need to just go away never to be heard from again. Bailey would murder this kid and it wouldn’t be close. Even Brody Boyd would handle him. Just facts.

Thats not what i am saying. I think is pretty obvious he isnt on Damon Baileys level. I guess im asking, should they start keeping records per class now since it would be a sham if this kid somehow managed to break the state scoring record. What would make you happy?

Thats not what i am saying. I think is pretty obvious he isnt on Damon Baileys level. I guess im asking, should they start keeping records per class now since it would be a sham if this kid somehow managed to break the state scoring record. What would make you happy?
I think people also underestimate how good Hulls was in high school. Also, he played in the large school class.

And if I remember right, there was some discussion that Duke was talking to him and attempting him to make a visit. I have no idea if that was true, but Hulls was a significant recruit.

I have not seen Brown play, but to just randomly compare him to another small, white, Southern Indiana kid is just silly. Hulls did well during AAU season and proved himself against high-level high school players.

Reactions: minneman
I think people also underestimate how good Hulls was in high school. Also, he played in the large school class.

And if I remember right, there was some discussion that Duke was talking to him and attempting him to make a visit. I have no idea if that was true, but Hulls was a significant recruit.

I have not seen Brown play, but to just randomly compare him to another small, white, Southern Indiana kid is just silly. Hulls did well during AAU season and proved himself against high-level high school players.

All correct, something that Brown has yet to do in AAU.

Luke is as good or better than what Jordy was as a junior. You haven’t watched Luke or you can’t judge talent very well if you really have?
I've watched a lot basketball in my life. And watchedJordy play, His Junior year HS and AAU both. Have watched Luke also, not as much, we are going to have to just disagree. Which is ok, I respect your opinion. I could be off, I have been before. And I had to admit I was. wrong, I will do it again if I am.

I've watched a lot basketball in my life. And watchedJordy play, His Junior year HS and AAU both. Have watched Luke also, not as much, we are going to have to just disagree. Which is ok, I respect your opinion. I could be off, I have been before. And I had to admit I was. wrong, I will do it again if I am.

If I remember the story right, Hulls recruitment tool off when the summer after his jr year he went off against John Wall in an AAU tourney. I may not be accurate on that but for some reason I am thinking that was the case

If I remember the story right, Hulls recruitment tool off when the summer after his jr year he went off against John Wall in an AAU tourney. I may not be accurate on that but for some reason I am thinking that was the case
I remember something vaguely similar. He wasn't highly rated through his junior year, but had a good AAU summer and got upgraded to a 4-star. Duke was allegedly looking at him because Hulls grandpa and K were old friends.

You would take Luke Brown over Blake Wesley? Please tell me you are kidding.

Brown has played against kids that are d1 talent and no, he couldn't do what he is doing now because he was entirely to easy to guard. He had to split time on his AAU team, which didn't make people happy because l, surprise, people think that he is better than he really is.

He can dominate low end high school ball, but not actual kids that are gonna be in college night on and night out. That was proven time and again last summer.
IU should take Wesley over Brown.
If there are only 3 schollies if the 4th schollie gets filled at the end of this season.
Furst
Lander
Kaufman
Wesley
Would be a great class if 4 slots were available.

Have you actually seen Brown play recently? Evidently he had a great weekend against decent comp. and nobody is suggesting he could compete with an All America like Bailey. No reason to dump on a kid who very well might become a decent player down the road.

If accurate it just shows how bogus it can be to use AAU ball as a prognosticator of future ability. Wall was and is in another dimension compared to Jordy as a player.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
If accurate it just shows how bogus it can be to use AAU ball as a prognosticator of future ability. Wall was and is in another dimension compared to Jordy as a player.

No, but it at least showed that Jordy could ball a bit.

Brown disappeared a lot in AAU this summer when matched up with athletes. He definitely wasn't doing what he's doing now. Did he have a moment or two, sure, when he was left open, but when he was actually guarded, he was exposed time and time again.

No one is (nor was) saying otherwise. A game like this, if it happened, would indicate that a player like Hulls was a legitimate D1 player, though.

No, but it at least showed that Jordy could ball a bit.

Brown disappeared a lot in AAU this summer when matched up with athletes. He definitely wasn't doing what he's doing now. Did he have a moment or two, sure, when he was left open, but when he was actually guarded, he was exposed time and time again.
AAU Teams do not always run an offense that frees shooters who are not great one-on-one players, which is one of the weaknesses of AAU ball.
I prefer to watch a HS player play on his HS team where the offense and defense is more in tune to a team game.
AAU is for college coaches to see top talent playing against each other, not necessarily in the best of team settings as they are usually but not always a glorified All-Star Team with a limited playbook.
All Star Games and AAU is where a lot of talent is evaluated, and it is a poor determiner of talent I think, It gives raw physical tools evaluation but not how one would play on a Scholastic Team over the course of a full Season.
I watched JBJ and Trey Lyles play AAU Ball and they were not close to being as effective and impressive as they were on their individual HS teams.
Nothing was really ran for them, everything was a spontaneous individual move.
I really liked watching the Wisconsin Swing AAU team with Luke Fisher and Bronson Koenig, completely outmanned physically they destroyed their opponents with superior team play, passing, and shooting. Koenig was not highly ranked but was easily one of the most effective players in the tournament. But if Koenig had played on another team that did not utilize his strengths the way the Swing did, he would not look as effective in an All-Star type setting.

Have you actually seen Brown play recently? Evidently he had a great weekend against decent comp. and nobody is suggesting he could compete with an All America like Bailey. No reason to dump on a kid who very well might become a decent player down the road.
Nobody is bagging on a kid. It’s just people think he’s this magical creature.

AAU Teams do not always run an offense that frees shooters who are not great one-on-one players, which is one of the weaknesses of AAU ball.
I prefer to watch a HS player play on his HS team where the offense and defense is more in tune to a team game.
AAU is for college coaches to see top talent playing against each other, not necessarily in the best of team settings as they are usually but not always a glorified All-Star Team with a limited playbook.
All Star Games and AAU is where a lot of talent is evaluated, and it is a poor determiner of talent I think, It gives raw physical tools evaluation but not how one would play on a Scholastic Team over the course of a full Season.
I watched JBJ and Trey Lyles play AAU Ball and they were not close to being as effective and impressive as they were on their individual HS teams.
Nothing was really ran for them, everything was a spontaneous individual move.
I really liked watching the Wisconsin Swing AAU team with Luke Fisher and Bronson Koenig, completely outmanned physically they destroyed their opponents with superior team play, passing, and shooting. Koenig was not highly ranked but was easily one of the most effective players in the tournament. But if Koenig had played on another team that did not utilize his strengths the way the Swing did, he would not look as effective in an All-Star type setting.

When you play in AAU events, your playing against actual competition though. Right now, Luke Brown isn't playing against kids that are college material, so all these points he's scoring doesn't matter one because the level of comp isn't there.

You may like what high school teams run, which I'm not disputing. AAU is a bunch of run and gun the majority of the time, but to say you can't evaluate off of it is short sided. You can definitely see who can play and who can do what when they have equal talent on them.

The two kids you mentioned were high d1 players. Of course they were gonna be good. Take either off there respected team and they would still produce because they HAVE TALENT. Koenig is playing in the G-league I believe, which doesn't always run sets as you should know.

Wonder how many of the Wisconsin kids had great AAU careers. I would like to have some fundamentally sound player who can defend and shoot and pass. Tired of watching kids who can't do any of these. Well, I guess they can all shoot, Making is another issue.

I watched the Blackford game against Northwestern. I used to know folks in the administration at Northwestern since I lived in Kokomo so I wanted to see how Brown did. He has tremendous range. The kid can hit from 25 ft with ease. He gets his shot off pretty fast. But what I like is his court vision. He averages eight assists a game while scoring 33 a game. Ok, I can see why some would slam me for this, but could he end up being a John Stockton type player? He is about the same size as John. John was a very good shooter too and of course had great court vision. It is possible that Luke Brown might make people wish they had offered him someday. Thoughts?

I watched the Blackford game against Northwestern. I used to know folks in the administration at Northwestern since I lived in Kokomo so I wanted to see how Brown did. He has tremendous range. The kid can hit from 25 ft with ease. He gets his shot off pretty fast. But what I like is his court vision. He averages eight assists a game while scoring 33 a game. Ok, I can see why some would slam me for this, but could he end up being a John Stockton type player? He is about the same size as John. John was a very good shooter too and of course had great court vision. It is possible that Luke Brown might make people wish they had offered him someday. Thoughts?
Apparently CAM hasn't even been in contact with Brown. Not even a phone call to acknowledge his existence. I would think CAM would be looking at every shooter in the world right now.

Apparently CAM hasn't even been in contact with Brown. Not even a phone call to acknowledge his existence. I would think CAM would be looking at every shooter in the world right now.
According to browns biggest fan who posts everywhere he is the next coming of pistol pete.

Archie was at Silver Creek's last game to watch Kaufman. A freshman kid from Floyd Central named Washington is a kid we should keep our eye on. When they said he was a freshman I was like, "Oh". He looks much older and should be a good one. He got a rebound at the end of the game and Kaufman blocked it and got the rebound to seal the victory. Silver Creek came away with a 1 pt win.

I told my wife that when I was watching Brown shoot it was like watching Stephen Curry shoot in the pros. He hits from way out and you get excited when he shoots and you are surprised when he misses. Now I am not saying Brown is as good as Curry, nor am I saying he is absolutely the second coming of John Stockton. I was just trying to explain his type of game. I would guess that coaches see more than we do which is why he isn't getting any high major offers. But on the high school level I find Brown very entertaining.

Reactions: SouthernIN845
IU should take Wesley over Brown.
If there are only 3 schollies if the 4th schollie gets filled at the end of this season.
Furst
Lander
Kaufman
Wesley
Would be a great class if 4 slots were available.

Wesley is apparently really kicking ass now.....

I told my wife that when I was watching Brown shoot it was like watching Stephen Curry shoot in the pros. He hits from way out and you get excited when he shoots and you are surprised when he misses. Now I am not saying Brown is as good as Curry, nor am I saying he is absolutely the second coming of John Stockton. I was just trying to explain his type of game. I would guess that coaches see more than we do which is why he isn't getting any high major offers. But on the high school level I find Brown very entertaining.

Believe It or not, there are coaches out there that don't think Brown is even D1 material. I don't agree with that, but it's out there.

I personally think he'll make a solid mid major player somewhere.

Believe It or not, there are coaches out there that don't think Brown is even D1 material. I don't agree with that, but it's out there.

I personally think he'll make a solid mid major player somewhere.

I've already accepted that we won't offer and at some point in the next 5 years he'll hit at least 5 threes against us to beat us. Just not sure if it will be at ISU, IPFW or Butler. Seriously, we have to at least be talking to him and keeping lines of communication open, right? Right?

[
I've already accepted that we won't offer and at some point in the next 5 years he'll hit at least 5 threes against us to beat us. Just not sure if it will be at ISU, IPFW or Butler. Seriously, we have to at least be talking to him and keeping lines of communication open, right? Right?

Nothing.

Sounds like Brody Boyd to me. My recollection was that we didn't go after him and he ended up at Iowa with Alford. I just had to google to make sure I had his name right, and the article said RMK recruited him, so I may have misremembered that. But wasn't he in the 6' range?

The irony here is pretty funny though....we currently have a team of "athletes" who can't dribble, can't defend, can't shoot, and give next to zero effort. I'm not saying Luke Brown is the second coming...but my goodness if any of you can't see that we need a couple fundamentally sound shooters you're crazy.

This IU team needs what it's needed for 3 years...diversity. We have one type of player for the most part. It's not working. Read into that whatever you like but the bottom line is we need diversity in the type of player we recruit.

Reactions: ufo33
Sounds like Brody Boyd to me. My recollection was that we didn't go after him and he ended up at Iowa with Alford. I just had to google to make sure I had his name right, and the article said RMK recruited him, so I may have misremembered that. But wasn't he in the 6' range?
Lets just sign him up throw a hickory jersey on him and call it a day. Oh and put the rock in his hands and let him do his magic. He could draw 15 plus fouls a game and he is a 99% free throw shooter.

Reactions: ufo33

No. We don't.

He's not good enough.

No. We don't.

He's not good enough.

We should be keeping tabs on and talking with every top 30-50 kid in IN, especially the ones in the southern half of the state. He may not be good enough for a scholly, but you don't know their situations and he may be an option for a preferred walk on or a late scholly offer. Since I've been in NC, UNC has gotten probably 4-6 kids as walkons that had scholly offers elsewhere, including Luke Maye (he was given a scholly before the season started, but came as a walkon when he had offers from Davidson, VA Tech, and Clemson among others), and Stilman White who played a fair amount for them as a backup PG.

I'm not saying Brown would come as a walk on, but I am saying we don't know how he'll develop ultimately, nor what our situation will be for 2021. Look at this year: we desperately need shooters and have 2 open schollies! We should be talking to all players like this, and I would guess are to some degree, despite what's being said on here.

Reactions: oldcougar77
The irony here is pretty funny though....we currently have a team of "athletes" who can't dribble, can't defend, can't shoot, and give next to zero effort. I'm not saying Luke Brown is the second coming...but my goodness if any of you can't see that we need a couple fundamentally sound shooters you're crazy.

This IU team needs what it's needed for 3 years...diversity. We have one type of player for the most part. It's not working. Read into that whatever you like but the bottom line is we need diversity in the type of player we recruit.
Brown is lights out from deep. Think pat graham 2.0.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT