ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Brown

As a team we are shooting almost 70% as a team.

We are typically not a bad free throw shooting team. But don't let actual stats get in the way of your mindless theories.

You couldn't watch the AR game and not recognize FT shooting specifically and shooting in general are going to be weaknesses that lead to losses for this team. In fact, as I've stated many, many times now, you couldn't watch this team last year and not recognize shooting was a likely Achille's heal, which is why not getting a 5th year transfer who could shoot was a big miss.

Reactions: UncleMark
I don't think you can compare Luke, to Jordy or Steve. Seen all 3 in high school. Luke will be a good college player. Not on Steves orJordys level though.
Luke is as good or better than what Jordy was as a junior. You haven’t watched Luke or you can’t judge talent very well if you really have?

Reactions: Lucy01
Just looked with Alford and he was sub 90 as both a junior and senior. Hulls was over 90 as a Soph, and 89.9 as a junior

Unofficially, it looks to me like it was Jay Edwards in '88. Jeff Oliphant went 11-12 somewhere around that time, but I was using a minimum of 50 attempts as a baseline. Marshall Strickland, Todd Leary and Pat Graham all had seasons right around 89% too.

As an aside, here's another plug for Doug Yeskie's page. If you're an IU fan and you're not familiar with it, you should be: http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/home.html

Unofficially, it looks to me like it was Jay Edwards in '88. Jeff Oliphant went 11-12 somewhere around that time, but I was using a minimum of 50 attempts as a baseline. Marshall Strickland, Todd Leary and Pat Graham all had seasons right around 89% too.

As an aside, here's another plug for Doug Yeskie's page. If you're an IU fan and you're not familiar with it, you should be: http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/home.html
As iubirdman said, Hulls shot 91.2% his sophomore year on 57 attempts. The 89.9% his junior season was on 69 attempts.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jordan-hulls-1.html

Reactions: kkott
What do you think Like Brown might have done to get himself to the line in that last loss?
Set multiple picks for him, or pick and roll and let him drive and get fouled.
Get the lead and put the ball in Brown's hands where Maryland has to foul him and it is curtains.

Get the lead and put the ball in Brown's hands where Maryland has to foul him and it is curtains.
No FT shooters severely limits a team's ability to close out games with a lead

No FT shooters severely limits a team's ability to close out games with a lead

Trayce had been very good up until the last game. Al has been good. 85% good. Obviously he wasn't available. Rob is an 80% guy who barely free iron on those last two attempts.

This isn't last season with juwan going to the stripe numerous times each game and shooting 50 something percent.

Last edited:
Except the player is attempting to guard will have 50. Sure.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Trayce had been very good up until the last game. Al has been good. 85% good. Obviously he wasn't available. Rob is an 80% guy who barely free iron on those last two attempts.

This isn't last season with juwan going to the stripe numerous times each game and shooting 50 something percent.
Or Smith shooting 51%?

Why are you so sure he's good enough to consistently draw fouls at the D1 level?
Why are you so sure he's good enough to consistently get his shot off and make it at the D1 level?
In other words, why are you so sure he's not easily guarded at the D1 level?
How does his defense translate to the D1 level? Would he be able to guard anyone on P5 teams? Would his assignment match his points and then some?

I've asked you this before and you never answered but what do you know that every D1 coach except those at Ball State and Miami (OH) are missing? Or maybe it's just easier to look at the big numbers against poor competition and declare him the next must get recruit because you don't have a multi-million dollar job that depends on kids like him performing at a high level. Probably that combined with you not being as good at evaluating talent as you think you are.

It should say something that even Crean, who is perpetually looking for that diamond in the rough, hasn't even offered him. Priller, Gelon, and many others but not Brown.

Poorly, but not near as poorly as Brown.. There's a major reason he has no major offers and it's not that every major coach and scout in the country is making a mistake.
You don’t know squat!

Luke is as good or better than what Jordy was as a junior. You haven’t watched Luke or you can’t judge talent very well if you really have?

Yeah, but of course Jordan was black, so he had that going for him within the recruiting circles! Derp!

Reactions: MrBing
Why are you so sure he's good enough to consistently draw fouls at the D1 level?
Why are you so sure he's good enough to consistently get his shot off and make it at the D1 level?
How does his defense translate to the D1 level? Would he be able to guard anyone on P5 teams? Would his assignment match his points and then some?

I've asked you this before and you never answered but what do you know that every D1 coach except those at Ball State and Miami (OH) are missing? Or maybe it's just easier to look at the big numbers against poor competition and declare him the next must get recruit because you don't have a multi-million dollar job that depends on kids like him performing at a high level. Probably that combined with you not being as good at evaluating talent as you think you are.

It should say something that even Crean, who is perpetually looking for that diamond in the rough, hasn't even offered him. Priller, Gelon, and many others but not Brown.
Say he is not athletic enough to guard B1G PG. He is the kind of player who has smoked IU with 3s like IPFW. And Brown is being recruited higher than that. Painter has had Brown in for multiple visits. If Brown was 6'5 SG it would be different I think. Trying to guard ultra quick B1G PG was too difficult for Ryan Cline at Purdue also. I watched both Gelon and Brown in HS, and Brown is far more skilled as both a shooter and passer. Gelon was not even the best player on his own HS team when I watched him in the IHSAA Regional. Brown was dominant when I watched him as a HS Freshman, now he is a HS Junior. Yes the completion was a 3A team not in a 4A Regional. Recruiting no shooters in 2 years baffles me.

Say he is not athletic enough to guard B1G PG. He is the kind of player who has smoked IU with 3s like IPFW. And Brown is being recruited higher than that. Painter has had Brown in for multiple visits. If Brown was 6'5 SG it would be different I think. Trying to guard ultra quick B1G PG was too difficult for Ryan Cline at Purdue also. I watched both Gelon and Brown in HS, and Brown is far more skilled as both a shooter and passer. Gelon was not even the best player on his own HS team when I watched him in the IHSAA Regional. Brown was dominant when I watched him as a HS Freshman, now he is a HS Junior. Yes the completion was a 3A team not in a 4A Regional. Recruiting no shooters in 2 years baffles me.
Every team has smoked the 3 against the dreaded Archie pack line.

You have to check out the thread on HSN. It has to be a relative of LB posting
I have. That guys thinks he is the next Jimmy Chitwood or Eric Gordon. Just give him the ball at the top of the key and clear out. It's Hoosiers all over again.

Reactions: RRgo
I would rather have had Ryan Cline than Green for 4 years. Cline could shoot the 3.

So since IU lost to IPFW they should recruit that level of recruit? IU also got smoked by Duke and of I'd much rather have that level of talent than IPFW.

Being better than Gelon isn't really saying much.

He's visited Purdue, yes, but still has no offer. Maybe they're trying to get him as a walk-on. I'd like him at IU as a walk-on.

Scholarships are at a premium for this class. Which of these other Indiana players would you rather give the scholarship to Brown over?
Lander
Furst
Kaufman
Wesley
Goode (not offered)
Blackmon (not offered)

So since IU lost to IPFW they should recruit that level of recruit? IU also got smoked by Duke and of I'd much rather have that level of talent than IPFW.

He's visited Purdue, yes, but still has no offer. Maybe they're trying to get him as a walk-on. I'd like him at IU as a walk-on.

Scholarships are at a premium for this class. Which of these other Indiana players would you rather give the scholarship to Brown over?
Lander
Furst
Kaufman
Wesley
Goode (not offered)
Blackmon (not offered)
Not over any of these Indiana HS players.
Furst
Lander
Kaufman

Last edited:
Blackford is 2A I believe.

Reactions: minneman
Blackford is 2A I believe.
Has brown ever played against a d1 type player? I mean if he is really that good he should have no problem dropping 25 on a good big school team. Or maybe we should just give him a grant just so we can see how this 93% free throw shooter will prove 95% of us wrong.

Has brown ever played against a d1 type player? I mean if he is really that good he should have no problem dropping 25 on a good big school team. Or maybe we should just give him a grant just so we can see how this 93% free throw shooter will prove 95% of us wrong.

Unless he walks on. He will not be playing for IU or offered. Until now he can only dominate lessor competition. Most D1 players make him into Grant Gelon. Who went off for 40 something the other night. In the DIII league. Nothing wrong with that. Kid gets a scholarship and a basketball hero.
Brown is DII or low end DI. Not a knock on the kid. He can still go far. Great career and make people think, why did they miss on him?

Brown will take Damon’s record. There needs to be “*” in front of it. I mean I just played in the driveway. Scored 50 pts, 30 rebounds, 30 blocks. My 9 year olds never saw it coming.

Brown has one hell of a publicity group for him. Shouldn’t play basketball should run for senate.

“Side note: Jordan Hulls could get his shot off against anyone. Didn’t matter the competition.”

This is not a knock on Brown. More of the machine around him. He still can be successful. Who knows he could prove me and others wrong.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build.…

Of course imho, my ramblings…

Reactions: MrBing
Unless he walks on. He will not be playing for IU or offered. Until now he can only dominate lessor competition. Most D1 players make him into Grant Gelon. Who went off for 40 something the other night. In the DIII league. Nothing wrong with that. Kid gets a scholarship and a basketball hero.
Brown is DII or low end DI. Not a knock on the kid. He can still go far. Great career and make people think, why did they miss on him?

Brown will take Damon’s record. There needs to be “*” in front of it. I mean I just played in the driveway. Scored 50 pts, 30 rebounds, 30 blocks. My 9 year olds never saw it coming.

Brown has one hell of a publicity group for him. Shouldn’t play basketball should run for senate.

“Side note: Jordan Hulls could get his shot off against anyone. Didn’t matter the competition.”

This is not a knock on Brown. More of the machine around him. He still can be successful. Who knows he could prove me and others wrong.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build.…

You are correct it's like he has a campaign staff and is running for president. They are all over pushing him.

If he happend to break that record, why should he have an “*” next to it? That just seems silly.

If he happend to break that record, why should he have an “*” next to it? That just seems silly.

it’s the same as asking who has the most wins in College Football - do you answer Joe Paterno or John Gagliardi. Or hits in pro baseball, Pete Rose or some dude that played in Japan for most of his career. Just seems a little unsavory to me that it appears he is basing his career around breaking the record by downgrading competition & making it easier, but that’s mostly based on what I’ve read here.

Lander
Furst
Kaufman
Wesley
Goode (not offered)
Blackmon (not offered)

I would take Northwestern’s Tayson Parker over Brown. Great athleticism. Can shoot the three and also take it to the basket with authority.

I would take Northwestern’s Tayson Parker over Brown. Great athleticism. Can shoot the three and also take it to the basket with authority.
Different classes but that does go to my point that there are many other players who can also shoot but would be a better use of a scholarship than Brown.

Not over any of these Indiana HS players.
Furst
Lander
Kaufman

You would take Luke Brown over Blake Wesley? Please tell me you are kidding.

Brown has played against kids that are d1 talent and no, he couldn't do what he is doing now because he was entirely to easy to guard. He had to split time on his AAU team, which didn't make people happy because l, surprise, people think that he is better than he really is.

He can dominate low end high school ball, but not actual kids that are gonna be in college night on and night out. That was proven time and again last summer.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

The only reason gellon and Priller we’re here is because at least they had length. Brown does not.

If anyone on this board thinks Brown could hang with Bailey or any top 5 scorers need to just go away never to be heard from again. Bailey would murder this kid and it wouldn’t be close. Even Brody Boyd would handle him. Just facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT